Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skye

[P4A] Akihiko vs Yosuke

TL;DR verdict: ??:??

Yosuke's tools

Akihiko's answer to them

-----------------------

Akihiko's tools

Yosuke's answer to them

Yosuke's tools

Moonsault shenanigans

Tentarafoo

Speed

That awesome furious action

Akihiko's answer to them

AC beats all moonsault mixups. Block low afterwards to avoid his sliding move, punish hard.

AC also beats tentarafoo, pimp slap him for even trying.

Speed isn't really a factor in this matchup because his range is still close to yours. Jump and jab to shut him down in the air. Counter jC does way too much to him to make freaky jumping around worth his while.

This furious action is probably the hardest to punish. Active frames are in the thousands, and punishable frames are in the negatives. I'm exaggerating but you get the idea.

As with all speed characters in fighting games, don't try to hit them where they are, hit them where they'll be.

as for his F-Action, if you trigger it with a cross-up the active frames will go in the wrong direction and you can punish it! also if you do a REALLY deep jB then you can block it, it has like 2 frames of start-up or something. Way too precise to be reliable unless you're an execution god like Kubo.

Thread feels so dead lol. So I tried practicing the deep safe jump, which is actually kinda hard for the first time. I think the most efficient punish while staying on the same side is to jump straight up j.A to trigger it, then j.C to hang above the trip and counter hit him. Pretty beefy damage.

Hey guys,

With P4A being released in europe not long ago I started playing this game.

One of my friends plays Yosuke and I play Aki ofc, so there are a few things which cause me trouble:

General MU struggels

I feel Yosuke is the one in control of this matchup. He can easily get in and get out on you and therefore controls the flow of the match. The most difficult thing is to get a hit in on him, blocked or real hit. He also seems pretty burst happy because if I touch him and he has a burst he will use it asap to fling me across the screen and then I have to deal with getting that hit on him again. If I'm unlucky then I usually get the hit just before he has a new burst ready which will result into late game being me across the screen and him having 100+ heat to do what he wants, albeit he is usually low on health and can use his Install super. This makes the matchup even harder because now he is also able to dominate Aki up close and can take huge chunks of life with his Garudyne(whirlwind super) when you might want to take a chance for a reset or a throw mixup.

Kunai j.236c/d

He often uses this as a zoning tool. If I block it he will use the moment to call out his 5D and get in on me, If I roll he will use the recovery to just dash up or use a ranged move to get a blockstring. If he hits he will just go into Garudyne and take a whole chunk of life. I tried blocking and then using killrush to get a blockstring but none of the killrush versions will reach him and then he gets a fatal combo.

Dashpring 236 a/b

More often then not if I manage to block this he gets a moonsault blockstring for free. Even if I manage to escape it with a roll or correctly blocking I usually wont be able to retaliate and will often end up blocking a new string or him just escaping. This sets me back to dealing with his 5d or his kunai throws. My answer now is to airgrab him out of it(the moonsaults) and use my burst for an OMB combo but this a little too costly to my taste. Most often the damage this combo deals isn't enough to give me a big enough advantage. If I slip up he usaully manages to take back the damage I inflicted him.

Install super: Sukukaja(214214C/D)

This will litterally change the match into a cakewalk for him. If I checked the frame data correctly he gets the fastest jab in the game with this and a lot of his moves have a pretty nice frame advantage. As a consequence he now takes the 1 place where I feel Aki has an advantage, upclose, and manages to completely lock me down. If I managed to bring him near death before the mode then I can usually just try to get some stray hits in which will be enough to kill him but once he starts to spam his Furious action when near the Awakening treshhold it becomes a real pain to fight him. His Garudyne(the tornado super) is also very scary at this point because it can take about 4k life on its own so that discourages me to go for resets or the duck>throw maneuver when pressuring him.

Sorry for the huge wall of text but it would be awesome if you guys could help with this.

Thanks in advance guys!

Kunai

Rolling this should always net you a punish. Works almost without fail for me so I don't know how you're getting called out for it.

Dash

You are reacting correctly but who says there's a need to convert using OMB? It's free damage for you especially because Moonsault is ezpz to block.

Miller Time

Got no choice but to block unless he does something blatantly punishable like AoA as this makes him 10x better as a character.

The matchup isn't so bad, but yeah catching him in the first place can be a pain.

Side note: Yosuke is free to box-jump oki once you get a knockdown. Depending on your timing his DP will not affect your j.B.

Don't try too hard to catch him, that's what he likes.

Once you do get to him, go deep. 2 bnbs and say....a throw bait combo will do the trick.

I'd give it 6/4 Yosuke, on the account that he really has no need to get in your face and can (and has) play keep away with a small health lead.

Kunai

Rolling this should always net you a punish. Works almost without fail for me so I don't know how you're getting called out for it.

Side note: Yosuke is free to box-jump oki once you get a knockdown. Depending on your timing his DP will not affect your j.B.

The problem I have is that if he does it on a large enough distance none of my kill rushes will get to him after roll, maybe I'm just inputting it way too late.

Also could you explain what box-jump oki is? I have never heard of the term before.

Correct me if I'm wrong-

And I will!

Box jump oki is simply jumping behind him, air turn and j.b.

If the dp activates, it will whiff and you can punish, but it won't be CH though.

Don't rely on it too much, they can roll it.

And I will!

Box jump oki is simply jumping behind him, air turn and j.b.

If the dp activates, it will whiff and you can punish, but it won't be CH though.

Don't rely on it too much, they can roll it.

If you do it close enough to the ground I think you can convert to Kill Rush fast enough to catch at the end of the roll.

I'll also look at the kunai distance issue; it has quite a bit of recovery as far as Yosuke goes so I'll see if you can make the kill rush work or if you can try a different approach. I've just never really had a problem with it.

As far as the MU goes I would put it 5.5/4.5 Yosuke favor. It doesn't feel like Akihiko favor, but Yosuke is paper. If you block well and don't fall for gimmicks you will easily make him suffer.