Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skye

[P4A] Akihiko vs Labrys

TL;DR verdict: ??:??

Labrys' tools

Akihiko's answer to them

-----------------------

Akihiko's tools

Labrys' answer to them

Labrys' Tools

------------------

Every move being safe

Aki's Answers to them

-----------------------

Sometimes you fall out of combos

Aki's Tools

----------

Jab pressure

Labrys' Answer to them

------------------------

Her absurd range, her charged axe armor, all of her moves

I'm at a loss for this match up. Between her and her persona, she can cover a lot of space. Which makes it hard to start pressure and dictate the match. Anyone know any good ways of getting started against her or any common situations?

Blocking is so horrible I can't win a matchup!

IB > Dash > Double Upper. Congratulations, never worry about auto combo blockstrings ever again.

If Labrys charges axe and you get armored just do Double Upper on reaction to her DP. You'll win. Everytime.

If Labrys does Chain Knuckle, just IB the chain and react to her running at you with a Tornado Upper or a 5A

Oh no gears super? Just alpha counter if you're afraid of a horribly scaled combo that does jack nothing without a red axe super afterwards.

You can actually cancel your moves into your own counter, aka 214 A/B, on reaction to some of her moves and definitely her DP. This match seems exceedingly on Aki's favor once you get in. And still favorable both mid and long range.

I believe this is in Akihikos favor a lot actually. Shes slow. really slow... Bait her R-action(always be ready for it). Jab alot, theres not much she can do about it, hers is way to slow. If she trys to out space you, try to land that kill rush counter combo on her whiffs. Once you start punishing her r-action, she'll give up with it, and its basically all she has.

Zyphur said it all. Jab is your best friend in this match up. All her moves are too slow to deal with Aki's jabs. Once you pin Labr down it's really hard for her to escape because everything she tries will be beat out by your jabs/super.

You guys must be fighting terrible Labs if you can jab her out that easily. A good lab player isn't going to stand in your face and let you mash jab all day. He effective range if far outside that of Aki's so using jab as a tool to keep her from pressing buttons is just asking to be counter hit.

When you're on offense its even harder. Half of Aki's killrush mixups get beat clean by a jab from her, anything can be react to with DP.

You can't beat her Air to air. Anti airing her is shoddy at best and a fatal counter at worst. If you try to approach from the air her 2a will hit you even if you cross her up. If you try to fake it out and use your persona instead it will beat your persona clean.

I'm not saying the matchup is impossible but the advice listed above seems terrible to me

That being said I still haven't found a way to handle her apart from "block and hope you get a hit in" as when she is knocked down its fairly easy to keep her pinned down. But as I said before you can't use killrush mixups as much because they get beat free

You guys must be fighting terrible Labs if you can jab her out that easily. A good lab player isn't going to stand in your face and let you mash jab all day. He effective range if far outside that of Aki's so using jab as a tool to keep her from pressing buttons is just asking to be counter hit.

When you're on offense its even harder. Half of Aki's killrush mixups get beat clean by a jab from her, anything can be react to with DP.

You can't beat her Air to air. Anti airing her is shoddy at best and a fatal counter at worst. If you try to approach from the air her 2a will hit you even if you cross her up. If you try to fake it out and use your persona instead it will beat your persona clean.

I'm not saying the matchup is impossible but the advice listed above seems terrible to me

That being said I still haven't found a way to handle her apart from "block and hope you get a hit in" as when she is knocked down its fairly easy to keep her pinned down. But as I said before you can't use killrush mixups as much because they get beat free

Being a player of both Lab and Aki it all depends on the player. I mean they both can punish each other its just whoever screws up first. Aki's 5D is great about screwing up her timing but and easy answer for that is her sweep or j.B (which is by far the her best move in this entire game)

Personally feel that the match-up is not in Akihiko's favour, which Labrys pretty much overwhelms Akihiko unless he can get a knockdown and is in her face. Her range is longer than Akihiko's and safe enough that she can build it up to red meter relatively easy since Akihiko doesn't have any long range pokes to harrass her.

j.B destroys most of Akihiko's air options on range alone, which you can only challenge if you meet her in the air early enough to j.A or j.B. Whilst 2B is unreliable and definitely not something you want to use when she has red axe because you're going to eat a Fatal Counter from it.

That said, once Akihiko gets in Labrys has to respect his offense because she can't just R-Action as you can reaction R-Action her attempt even if you're pressing 5A on her. However, her R-Action does beat D Weave mix-up because of its range and I think it beats his AoA and his R-Action if timed incorrectly. Knocking down Labrys (and in the corner) probably is where you'll have the most advantage because she's forced to guess high and low (2C and sweep even 5C is good since you can dash cancel) and can't do anything about it since they're safe to use with the sweep allowing you to go into killrush and from there you pretty much keep pressuring her till she tries to R-Action to which you can either R-Action back or block and get a Fatal Counter with 5B.

One thing to look out for is Labrys in awakening. You do not want to be pressing buttons when she wakes up because Weaver's Art: Breaking Wheel is a very good reversal that's fast, safe and leaves her at an advantage.

Haven't really used 5D all that much because in general it acts like a double edged sword that can mess up both players.

I'm starting to feel that this match-up is definitely in Akihiko's favor. 5D/j.D really screws with her air game as others have pointed out. You don't really have a reason to fear j.B as long as she's still magnetized. As long as you aren't pressing buttons after a blocked j. B, you should be fine. IB'ing through her blockstrings definitely helps...and is something I need to work on in general. IB'ing, that is :P

I haven't had much opportunity to try and implement this, but I think 214C effectively removes the threat of a j.B approach. I think the trick to using this effectively is being able to appropriately react once she whiffs. 214C > R-Action might be the way to guarantee a hit.