Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skye

[P4A] Akihiko vs Shadow Labrys

TL;DR verdict: ??:??

Shadow Labrys' tools

Akihiko's answer to them

-----------------------

Akihiko's tools

Shadow Labrys' answer to them

Basic questions first: how do we play this matchup? What are we suppose to look out for? Is this matchup at our advantage or disavantage?

All the S.Labrys experience I have was from Day 1 stuff, so none of my knowledge is viable.

Yeah, I suppose most folks would not have much personal experience with this matchup. I got the game a few days ago but will only get to play it in 2 weeks and my friend is gonna main Shadow labrys, so I figured getting some knowledge on the matchup would help.

I don't think she has many legit options outside of F-action and basic defense mechanisms? Low hp also means we kill her in 2/3 combos since even our basic 2A starter BnBs are doing about 1\4 of her hp. Without actually playing the game though, I don't know anything other than that. I do have this weird feeling we gonna get outranged for most of the match though...maybe 5C will have some use here?

I'm still new to the game, so you'll have to take everything I say with a grain of salt but...

The few times I've come across this match-up, I've had to be really patient. Between her and her persona (which can take a ton of hits before interrupting the action), you'll have to be on the lookout for some tricky, ambiguous stuff. Most of the time I found myself super-jumping forward and then blocking to avoid being aa'ed by her furious action. Once you're in there, since your normals are a lot faster, the match becomes a tad bit easier until you reset the distance with one of your combos. Once you have her cornered, that's usually the match - a couple of well-thought pokes and a bit of patience will most likely give you the opportunity to take a chuck of her health. Once she had you cornered, however, you're going to be looking at a lot of neutral super-jumps (and chicken guarding) if you don't have a burst.

Just always be conscious of her low, you can block the overhead on reaction. Respect her furious action and certainly respect her persona. A solid defense is necessary to get in your effective range, then blow that bitch up!

That's the gist of my day one experience.

Been playing with SLA quite a bit, so I'll share what I know in case any of you ever have to face her.

Her damage is low, but it builds up quickly because she can keep resetting the oki setups and whatnot. Block patiently and wait for your chance to strike.

In awakening she gets a crazy DP axe super that goes almost full screen and does more than 3k. If you block it, before you punish it look at the bull, because a good SLA player will cover their recovery with the bull fire or punch.

5C or jC is a good tool at keeping the bull down. Don't get too comfy with it though because SLA can easily jB and hit you out of it.

As with the Labrys matchup, all the range and priority is in her court, so make your way in carefully, even if you broke her persona. Unlike the Labrys matchup, her 2AC cannot be cancelled into the overhead, so you can jab punish it or start blockstrings.

Hope this helps!

how can you tell when her persona is able to be hit or not?

When he is guarding, he will put his arm in front of his face. I think he has autoguard to very weak attacks even when not guarding though.

I think Xie mentioned it on UltraChen's stream that it takes several hundred damage to break the persona when it has auto guard. I'm guessing our C attacks will break him in one go if he's not guarding.

Edit: 410 damage will break the armor.

Shadow Labrys player just looking on what other character threads feel about this match-up...

I play often with a buddy who mains Akihiko, this match is about patience for both sides. Long range and midscreen you are at a disadvantage since Slab's 2C with stop most attempts to airdash in and aside from EX's, supers, certain follow-ups from 236 A/B, and C attacks you will have more difficulty breaking Asterius. Upclose you are at a great advantage since B-hook is either even or frame advantage (?) and if the Slab tries to press a button your 5B will FC them. You want to get in or break her persona so spaced 5C and j.C is useful to just make your opponent have to go in to protect Asterius or not try to use him as often.

Once you are upclose this match is VERY uncomfortable for Shlab because she can't match the speed of your normals, outside of Burst, DP (Very unsafe on block...should convert that to a 4K+ FC combo, or as I call it "I got FC'd and I have 60% life...well there goes that round"), or evasive action she'll have to block until an opening shows up. Meter generally should be used to either kill before she gets to awakening or be saved in awakening to control her usage of Asterius. Maziodyne will stop anything Asterius does, whether its EX or Tetrichondria super, so if you can OMC maziodyne to get in be mindful of Guard Cancels to stop any mixups you might try.

She doesn't have your raw damage so just keep within range to tag her persona with j.C and find a window to where you can overwhelm her with frame traps and this match will turn into just one Fatal Counter into death. You've been practicing your combos right?

Shadow Labrys player just looking on what other character threads feel about this match-up...

I play often with a buddy who mains Akihiko, this match is about patience for both sides. Long range and midscreen you are at a disadvantage since Slab's 2C with stop most attempts to airdash in and aside from EX's, supers, certain follow-ups from 236 A/B, and C attacks you will have more difficulty breaking Asterius. Upclose you are at a great advantage since B-hook is either even or frame advantage (?) and if the Slab tries to press a button your 5B will FC them. You want to get in or break her persona so spaced 5C and j.C is useful to just make your opponent have to go in to protect Asterius or not try to use him as often.

Once you are upclose this match is VERY uncomfortable for Shlab because she can't match the speed of your normals, outside of Burst, DP (Very unsafe on block...should convert that to a 4K+ FC combo, or as I call it "I got FC'd and I have 60% life...well there goes that round"), or evasive action she'll have to block until an opening shows up. Meter generally should be used to either kill before she gets to awakening or be saved in awakening to control her usage of Asterius. Maziodyne will stop anything Asterius does, whether its EX or Tetrichondria super, so if you can OMC maziodyne to get in be mindful of Guard Cancels to stop any mixups you might try.

She doesn't have your raw damage so just keep within range to tag her persona with j.C and find a window to where you can overwhelm her with frame traps and this match will turn into just one Fatal Counter into death. You've been practicing your combos right?

Well, I've been trying to...

My simple Shadow Labrys plan:

Her footsies are low reward, so I always consider poking with 5C at range to tap her persona: If I get hit, I lose a card and some small damage. If she gets hit, it's either a knockdown, a CH for half her health (25 meter, backdash EX Rush corkscrew) or at least usually I tap her persona for a card. Between that and 2B/Killrush, Akihiko outranges her in a lot of ways.

When I get closer, I do something similar but default to 2B. Head invuln and 7f move that can break a card is pretty godlike. If you're in the persona, you don't have to aim it to get a cancel either, so you can throw it out then react to the situation with specials.

Make sure you can hear the sound very clearly; when Shadow Labrys triggers her Awakening super, during the start up there is a loud CLICK for every valid input she puts in. Most people just guess something between 1-3, but the game actually lets you know how many it will be. Invalid inputs don't count, so there's no way to fake it.

Otherwise, the most important things I can think of that are for Akihiko specifically:

-2B can tame her jB, and has nearly 3x the reward, with meter

-jC can tame her 2B, and has nearly 3x the reward, with meter, but is a much less safe option

-Her fastest jab is 7f, I believe, so consider moves that are +0 on block plus frames! Example, 5A, 2C. After both, you can dash jab and she can not press a normal.

Might I consider that B Parry is really damn good to use in this match-up? Good as an anti-air like Dudley's Corkscrew -- except without taking damage. Also, her options on wake-up are pretty shit; you could 2B hit-confirm into either 5B or B Parry > C Duck if she decides to use a DP. Safe Jump Option Select also beats the crap outta her wake-up options.

Also, everything Dacid said lol.

Might I consider that B Parry is really damn good to use in this match-up? Good as an anti-air like Dudley's Corkscrew -- except without taking damage. Also, her options on wake-up are pretty shit; you could 2B hit-confirm into either 5B or B Parry > C Duck if she decides to use a DP. Safe Jump Option Select also beats the crap outta her wake-up options.

Also, everything Dacid said lol.

Are you using B parry for everything or just for stuff like anti airs and DPs? And why use C duck after parry when you can just grab the extra 15 meter and fatal her afterwards? ;)

Are you using B parry for everything or just for stuff like anti airs and DPs? And why use C duck after parry when you can just grab the extra 15 meter and fatal her afterwards? ;)

I'm a Shadow Labrys player. Having extensive experience in this match-up, I figured I would offer some advice. Not going to use Shadow Labrys attack names because I'm sure you don't know or care.

Don't jump too much. Either my Guillotine Axe will hit you for jumping around while you're coming at me, or I'll 2B which is fully immune to your jump in punch. If neither of those happen, you'll get grilled by Asterius' fire horns. It's not really a safe bet for you. Also, don't try to sword me with Caesar in the air either. If I block it or you miss, expect a Guillotine Axe or an Asterius punish.

You will want to punish Asterius any chance you get. If he's by himself or she's waiting for an attack to happen, punish it. Most of his attacks (underground uppercut, overhead slam which actually hits low, laser if you're on top of him, etc) can be punished if you just block it and then hit it with 2B or a Caesar sword. If Shadow Labrys is smart, she will rush at you to ensure a block string or punish if you try; she will protect Asterius. If she does this, be smart about when you hit him (or if you can hit her, go for it, because it will also break Asterius). Remember that if Asterius glows blue, it's an SB attack and you cannot punish it without a super - and that also includes Titanomachia, her awakening super that sends Asterius after you. If you see her activate Titanomachia, a very quick Maziodyne super will punish both her and Asterius... if it's not fast enough, she'll block it, but you'll still punish Asterius by one card and waste her super.

Be smart about when you charge in. If you charge in blindly, she may be doing a Guillotine Axe (overhead axe attack) while you're coming in, which has some persistence and will punish you for 2000-2800 damage and knock you down. If she jumps when you decide to Kill Rush, you may just end up hitting Asterius, which will slow down the animation and give her an opportunity to punish you (or sometimes even Asterius). If she blocks a Kill Rush, she will probably try to DP it. This will beat a lot of your follow ups, including your all-out attack, but... it will not beat that funky blue punch where he backsteps once, and your SB punch where you go to the other side of her. Funky blue punch = super armor so she is completely open, however, if you go to the other side of her, DP will still beat you if she delays it by a second. Funky blue punch can be blocked and then she might go for a DP, the only time I had an Akihiko actually do the funky blue punch I was able to DP him after blocking it, so I don't know your options. Try to bait DPs with a block -> punish if she's doing it too much, and be smart about how you go about following up your Kill Rush. A CH DP means ~1800 damage and a knockdown into oki, something you don't want. Learn her block string openings, because a lot of novice Shadow Labrys players will leave openings everywhere for you to exploit if you actually try to attack instead of just sitting there and blocking.

2B is a useful tool (I think it's 2B, that funky uppercut Akihiko does?) to hit her out of her jumping-in axe attack (j.B). Be careful though - a variety of things can happen. If it clashes (it happens often) be prepared to respond appropriately. If she double jumps before doing it, you will likely whiff and be punished. Even if all the above doesn't happen, it still can out-range the punch and hit you sometimes. Be smart about when you try to anti-air.

This is, at least, my experience.