Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

White Rob

[P4A] Yosuke Gliding Explanation

There is a technique which greatly increases Yosuke's already impressive air mobility, which is called "gliding" by the Japanese. Basically, it involves doing an air dash, cancelling the air dash into his jumping 2B, and then kara-cancelling into the side swap (A+C). The input for an iAD glide looks like this:

966, 2B~A+C

What happens is Yosuke will maintain the initial movement speed of his air dash and will dive down much quicker than he normally would from an air dash. An iAD glide at the lowest possible jump height will actually come out so quickly that Yosuke can't even follow up with a jumping A (the normal follow-up to a glide since it hits on both sides of Yosuke). Most of the time, it is actually more practical to do a delayed jump or super jump before gliding, as you will have a bit more time to input the appropriate follow-up. He can also air block once the 2B~A+C part has finished, greatly reducing his vulnerability while air dashing.

Mastering gliding will greatly increase your options as a Yosuke player, and I highly suggest anyone looking to pick up the character should take the time to learn this tech. It is ridiculous how quickly Yosuke can be on the other side of the stage by using this, and he still has access to all of his other air options afterwards, so there are tons of ambiguous cross-ups and other shenanigans that become available to you. If anyone has questions about gliding, or wants guidance on how to perform it consistently, feel to free to ask and I will extrapolate.

EDIT: Here's a video link showing footage of how your fingers should move when gliding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0KjX22Z_pY&feature=youtu.be

Wonderful idea creating this thread, I for one just could not get the hang of it and gliding seems pretty pivotal to his game.

If you or any other people are able to, would it be possible to get a quick video tutorial on this? Thanks for the info anyway.

I've gotten it to come out consistently, but still can't use it in battle...it's a very fine motion. I hit 2A+B, then slide into C, while holding the other buttons. It has to be done very quickly, within a half-second, at least for me.

Wonderful idea creating this thread, I for one just could not get the hang of it and gliding seems pretty pivotal to his game.

If you or any other people are able to, would it be possible to get a quick video tutorial on this? Thanks for the info anyway.

Here's a bit more info on the glide that I forgot to include in the initial post (have more time to sit here and think about it now).

First thing to understand is that j.2B can be performed by pressing 1B or 3B as well. For the sake of gliding, you will want to do j.3B (closer to 6 directional input). Now the jump timing is almost irrelevant. What is most important is the kara-cancel from j.3B to A+C. It needs to be very quick. You shouldn't even see the animation for the j.3B; you should be side switching at that point with A+C. It almost feels like you are pressing B+A+C at the same time, but the B press is just a microsecond earlier.

Also, you don't even have to go neutral with the joystick or buttons when doing the A+C portion, so after j.3B you can continue to hold the 3 and B input, and the glide will still come out.

The glide can be performed at any point in the air dash too, so don't get hung up on landing it at the earliest point in the air dash. Since Yosuke's air dash is quite long, you get plenty of time to buffer in the kara. In fact, varying up the time when you perform the glide will affect your trajectory and leads to those ambiguous cross-ups I mentioned before.

(DISCLAIMER: All of this info is assuming you are on 1P side facing right) >_<

Good stuff posting this. I've noticed that alot of yosukes haven't been using this as much as they should. One thing interesting to note is that if you land the j.A after the glide and quickly do a moonsault, the slash followup will be EXTREMELY ambiguous.

Hey guys.

Been practicing this all week (This is my first "Anime" style fighter, so movement to me has been a learning process of it's own) and can do it with about 80% frequency, but it seems to be easily engrained in muscle memory over a period of time. If you have experience with Plinking (See: SF4) I think you're off to a better start than most.

With that being said, I've been trying a few things with Yosuke revolving around this that I've found useful. First off, approaching with instant j.5D from certain distances you can dash while in the upward state, and actually perform this technique "behind" Jiraiya and make your assault blind. While Jiraiya's animation is behind Yosuke, the actual "shield" ends up in front for a brief second, and allows you to perform the glide in a semi-safe manner while hiding which side you're on. Mixed with an early glide, or just an fake-crossup, this can be really useful.

You can also do this after a 5A jump cancelled back into the D and then glide crossup too. I've found it pretty difficult to land a glide crossup with just the 5A jump back, but when you perform the 5D in the air, Yosuke hops up every so slightly and seems to give you the right height and distance to make the crossup have perfect spacing.

The last fun thing I'm practicing is dashing on the ground, jumping over the opponent, air turn, into glide crossup the other way. Really hard to react too, but I'm having trouble getting my fingers to do everything properly. That and doing it too low might prevent the A from coming out properly, but I'm sure there's more there!

Watching some Japanese videos, I've found j.236BD dash into glide crossup to be really dirty, because of the Kunai lockdowns. You can probably use 5B at a super jump height to get that awesome hitbox mixed with easy comboability if it lands.

I also find this very difficult to combo after even with a quick dash 5A. You need to hit it spot on sometimes to make sure the combo continues it seems, unless someone has found a better technique (5C appears to be too slow, and 5B doesn't connect the majority of the time.) I'm all ears!

Another main application for the glide is after a successful standing hit on the opponent into 5c>2c. Seeing as 2c is jump cancellable, you'll want to do an instant glide into a very hard to see J.a overhead/empty jump 2a/empty jump throw. All of which are comboable.

The possibilities are endless with this tech, I love it.

tbf, you really don't need a video on this. It's pretty easy to do.

And you want to use j.1B~A+C

1 for the block. I've instant blocked a lot of random stuff while trying to glide at people just because of it lol.

Also if you use an air normal, I recommend j.A just because it has a good hitbox on both sides, especially with you moving so fast

tbf, you really don't need a video on this. It's pretty easy to do.

And you want to use j.1B~A+C

1 for the block. I've instant blocked a lot of random stuff while trying to glide at people just because of it lol.

Also if you use an air normal, I recommend j.A just because it has a good hitbox on both sides, especially with you moving so fast

Ah ok, thanks man. I'll be sure to grind it out next time I get to play this game.

And yes, J.a looks to be the normal of choice for this technique. Shit's ridiculous, plus on a successful crouching hit he actually does pretty good damage because of Dash Spring B's bounce and Crescent Slash's awesome damage!

Is there a good video that shows this thing in action and shows the benefit of it?

I screwed around with it and doing this consistently on pad is going to be... challenging to say the least.

Is there a good video that shows this thing in action and shows the benefit of it?

I screwed around with it and doing this consistently on pad is going to be... challenging to say the least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCfnSIwBaRs

This set between Nise Pachi and Fin playing Yosuke mirrors should give you an inkling of where to implement gliding into your game and what it brings to the table. It's a pretty good addition to any Yosuke player's arsenal for the new opportunities it provides.

That gliding j.A and feint is quite awesome, I'd love to work it into my game but I'm not sure if I'll be able to.

Watching high level Yosuke play is almost too quick for my eyes, it's crazy~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NttNMpKvMxI#t=175s

This is posted in the video thread and you can see lots of the gliding used for amazing things. This character is going to be soooo fun once I get the hang of this.

Also somebody mentioned you can do it at later times during the dash, however if you do you fall a lot slower than if you do it at the start of the dash. It's really easy to do normally, just practicing iAD into it which is hard because I'm not even very good at iAD's. My wrist is already yelling at me (this would be so much easier on pad T_T.)

I spent some time learning this earlier, I got it a few times. I just tried it on pad and it was much easier with A+C mapped to R1. It's not necessary to IAD and can be done from a regular air dash, but it is best to do the cancels as early as possible. I would compare the kara cancel to a

wavedash in SSBM

in that you cancel during the first few frames of startup of j.2b. It's actually not that hard with a bit of practice, and so much easier on pad for me... >_<

Really? I can do it pretty reliably just doing j.3B ~ Evasive Action (default btns map this next to C) bit of a stretch but you get used to it.

Not sliding from 9 to 3 but you mean hitting 9, going back to 5 and then 3B? If so, I'll have to try that.

i found yosuke's glide easier to pull of on pad/controller, but that's just my personal preference. to the people that use brosuke on pad i would advise you to just press the A & C buttons instead of pressing the actual air turn bumper on top.

your thumb should already be on B for the j.1B (or j.3b, you can use either one) then all you have to do is quickly slide your thumb over those two buttons for the rest.

practice makes perfect! it takes some getting used to, but in the end it's all worth it =D

Maybe i should make a vid for the pad brosukes..hmm

Sorry if this is common knowledge/been mentioned before.

Considering if your on stick and you play the type-b layout (A = D, X = A, Y= B, RB = C), I found it much easier to input the glide mapping Evasive Action to B (Directly under Y) so this makes it feel much more natural.

I am able to quickly use my finger (Whatever one you use to press B) and then quickly use my thumb (Which is used for D) for the Evasive Action. It works really well more me, so I'd thought I'd share it.

i found yosuke's glide easier to pull of on pad/controller, but that's just my personal preference. to the people that use brosuke on pad i would advise you to just press the A & C buttons instead of pressing the actual air turn bumper on top.

your thumb should already be on B for the j.1B (or j.3b, you can use either one) then all you have to do is quickly slide your thumb over those two buttons for the rest.

practice makes perfect! it takes some getting used to, but in the end it's all worth it =D

Maybe i should make a vid for the pad brosukes..hmm

Is this in reference to 360 pads? I play pad on the ps3 and R1 for the air turn has never given me problems with gliding (that weren't dumb mistimings). I can't imagine trying to hit the glide without the macro.