Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suzaku

BBCP Story Thread [Old]

Remember when this story made sense? The writers sure don't.

The sad part is that you can tell Mori is trying hard with the story, he is putting a lot of work and effort on it, but keeps screwing things here and there with executions and some really silly decisions. Many things are indeed good ideas, but are poorly executed.

Let's all not forget that this is a fighting game. There's only so much a story can be when it has to somehow give 20+ people the motivation to start beating each other up repeatedly.

Let's all not forget that this is a fighting game. There's only so much a story can be when it has to somehow give 20+ people the motivation to start beating each other up repeatedly.

I understand that, which is why I'm not as hard on it. And I appreciate the effort Mori is trying to make with the story compared to to other fighting game franchises. And at the very least he's managed to make a pretty fleshed out cast with motivations for what their doing other than "Hey, I don't like you, let's fight" so I give it that much.

But the execution is horrendous tho, there's so much shit you need to understand and so many materials you need to read to know what the hell is going on, and even then you'll probably still have more questions. I know a good way of storytelling is to have your audience wanting more, but they shouldn't be left with 100 questions about what the hell is going on. If this was an Anime, it'd be decent but this type of story doesn't work very well for a fighting game. Hell P4A has a much better story, but fighting hardly has anything to do with it in the grand scheme of things.

I have no idea what you people are talking about, i think he is a genius.

Blazblue is like my favorite story of ever, no movie or manga can top it for me.

Mori is certainly no Ishiwatari when it comes to storytelling.

GG's plot has a whole mess of a problems of it's own so it's not much better off.

I understand that, which is why I'm not as hard on it. And I appreciate the effort Mori is trying to make with the story compared to to other fighting game franchises. And at the very least he's managed to make a pretty fleshed out cast with motivations for what their doing other than "Hey, I don't like you, let's fight" so I give it that much.

But the execution is horrendous tho, there's so much shit you need to understand and so many materials you need to read to know what the hell is going on, and even then you'll probably still have more questions. I know a good way of storytelling is to have your audience wanting more, but they shouldn't be left with 100 questions about what the hell is going on. If this was an Anime, it'd be decent but this type of story doesn't work very well for a fighting game. Hell P4A has a much better story, but fighting hardly has anything to do with it in the grand scheme of things.

The thing is, the beastkin stuff has nothing to do with BB's actual plot though. It's all lore stuff that likely wasn't completely properly thought/fleshed out. The actual core BB's plot is fairly sound so there isn't too much point in getting hung up about sidestuff around it. Just accept that there are probably two types of beastkins (artificial and natural) and just leave it at that.

Just be glad this story isn't about a World Tournament that attracts combatants from all over the world (redundantly redudant).

I have no idea what you people are talking about, i think he is a genius.

Blazblue is like my favorite story of ever, no movie or manga can top it for me.

You poor soul. :8/:

I really enjoyed CT's story mode but CS really turned me off because it was like 0 progress was being made no matter what you did.

Just be glad this story isn't about a World Tournament that attracts combatants from all over the world (redundantly redudant).

Surprisingly, for all of it's cliches, this is the one Blazblue(Or Guilty Gear for that matter) hasn't even touched....hmm, interesting.

I really enjoyed CT's story mode but CS really turned me off because it was like 0 progress was being made no matter what you did.

Funnily enough, I feel sort of the opposite; CT is probably better told, but nothing really happens until the True Ending when the loops break. While in CS, a whole bunch of shit happens; Jin actually gets some character beyond molesting Ragna, Hazama, we find out who Relius is and why Carl's looking for him, Tsubaki and Litchi defect, Bang's Nox.

For everything wrong with it, CS did expand on a lot of shit and set the stage for CP.

The thing is, the beastkin stuff has nothing to do with BB's actual plot though. It's all lore stuff that likely wasn't completely properly thought/fleshed out. The actual core BB's plot is fairly sound so there isn't too much point in getting hung up about sidestuff around it. Just accept that there are probably two types of beastkins (artificial and natural) and just leave it at that.

It's still a pretty bad inconsistency dude.

I loling so hard right now....which reminds me, it's been a while since I actually payed attention to it, but does SF even have a plot?

I loling so hard right now....which reminds me, it's been a while since I actually payed attention to it, but does SF even have a plot?

Yes it does. It's just very very very bad. And not worth any mention.

Funnily enough, I feel sort of the opposite; CT is probably better told, but nothing really happens until the True Ending when the loops break. While in CS, a whole bunch of shit happens; Jin actually gets some character beyond molesting Ragna, Hazama, we find out who Relius is and why Carl's looking for him, Tsubaki and Litchi defect, Bang's Nox.

That's probably because CT is mostly setup and character establishment. All of the individual story modes are just variations on a theme, building up to a timeline that manages to break free of the loop. In the grand scheme of things, CT and CS is like a single book chopped in two, with most of the action compressed into CS. Which is why they put Calamity Trigger Reconstruction in CSE, I suppose.

It's still a pretty bad inconsistency dude.

Is it? I feel like the beastkin thing is pretty understandable. There probably aren't many beastkin that are natural or descended from natural ones now, with Valkenhayn and Jubei likely being the only ones left. They're just exceptions to the norm.

On the topic of the story: BB frequently operates on its own internal consistency, and is (usually) good about it. There's some bits where the internal consistency is pretty stupid, but hey the consistency is consistent :eng101:. The problem is that BB loooves to spread information out. To fully grasp the plot, you can't just play the games, you have to read the novels and you have to read the Setting Material Collections. I'm not a big fan of this kind of thing. If it was merely stuff that had yet to make it into a game, much like many aspects of the SMCs, that'd be all right. But the Phase Shift series contains a lot of exclusive content that is vital to understanding aspects of the series' story. We'll practically need a primer along the lines of TMML in Chrono Phantasma just to explain what happened in the various novels and why it's important. If you look at just the games for the story and only the games, the plot as a whole doesn't stand up very well on its own. You need that extra stuff. Even with the explanations from various side materials, explanations can be weak at times or just stupid...or spawn ten more questions on their own. Actually, I feel like the worldbuilding and lore aspects of the series are the most poorly thought out (also, stupid things like 'but how did Noel pull Ragna out of the Cauldron in the first place?'), but then I am very picky about worldbuilding. For a fighting game, it's all right. I don't think anybody is looking for a Pulitzer here.

Still, ultimately I feel like the story is pretty successful. It gets kind of, uh, weird at times but it does its job: to be entertaining and engaging. The cast is vibrant, and the series is pretty good at maintaining character consistency at least. It's more praise than I can give to other games that feature space-time abnormalities, like, lol, Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Or Guilty Gear for that matter

Wasn't GG1's plot just a tournament until Testament showed up?

I mean, yeah, it was a fake tournament, but it was a tournament.

As far as we know everything in Phase shift could be presented in Chrono Phantasma (the Phase series came after CS afterall)

I'm pretty sure the Phase Series happened during the Dark War. Or at least sometime around it.

Pretty sure Zangelin means the novels were made after CS, not that they take place after it.

Exactly, they also said that: "The Six heroes subplot will be tied up in this game" Which would refer to the Dark war and the stuff before it right? And if i am not mistaken that's sort of what Phase 0 is about? I mean i think its likely they'll include the plot essential stuff from them.

Oh shit you're right....that makes the fact that BB hasn't done one yet even more hilariously ironic.

It was a tournament Testament put together to free Justice, yes.

Anyway, you guys just lack anime experience. I, on the other hand, have been exposed to so much, BB's plot makes perfect sense to me. Just up your anime levels and you will understand everything~

Mori is certainly no Ishiwatari when it comes to storytelling.

You're joking right?

Outside of the main GG cast (those who were involved in the Crusades or reshaping the world after the Crusades), a lot of the cast members of GG have to purpose or place in the grand scheme of things. Regardless of how convulsed BB's story is, everyone in the game has a REASON to be in the game and a REASON to fight, not like same random 9 foot nigga who can partially travel through time, or a nigga who is possessed by his dead wife or whatever.

Very rival battle worthy.

Indeed.

For everything wrong with it, CS did expand on a lot of shit and set the stage for CP.

This is true, a lot of the cast members were given purpose in CS, and are being further fleshed out in CP, from what i can see in the revealed arcade modes.

Lol it doesn't and thus, has created a stereotype about fighting games lol. Shoutouts to capcom once again. #RIPMegamanX.

That's probably because CT is mostly setup and character establishment. All of the individual story modes are just variations on a theme, building up to a timeline that manages to break free of the loop. In the grand scheme of things, CT and CS is like a single book chopped in two, with most of the action compressed into CS. Which is why they put Calamity Trigger Reconstruction in CSE, I suppose.

This is true, CT had a huge cliff hanger. CS left me more satisfied.

Still, ultimately I feel like the story is pretty successful. It gets kind of, uh, weird at times but it does its job: to be entertaining and engaging. The cast is vibrant, and the series is pretty good at maintaining character consistency at least. It's more praise than I can give to other games that feature space-time abnormalities, like, lol, Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Thanks for killing my hype to play the game bro -__-

It was a tournament Testament put together to free Justice, yes.

Anyway, you guys just lack anime experience. I, on the other hand, have been exposed to so much, BB's plot makes perfect sense to me. Just up your anime levels and you will understand everything~

Yes this is true. By Your Side is when GG strayed away from your typical FG story mode, the game even had a specific story mode in X+. Something that only vaguely exists in arcade modes.

EDIT: I wonder what was Tsubaki's weapon or method of combat during the "original" timeline or whatever.

GGs story is pretty decent. It just suffers from being an old fighting game where the story is like 5-6 fights, same talking, then the end. It not VN level like BB, wish it was. Which is why i still want them to have a sequel for the game sometime so the story mode can be properly done.

EDIT: I wonder what was Tsubaki's weapon or method of combat during the "original" timeline or whatever.

Hadnt thought about that, because she wouldnt be using Izayoi of course. Maybe itll be some generic NOL weapon thats issued.

Some people would say GG's story is better because it's not so convoluted like BB's.... apparently they never heard the drama CD's.

But on the plus side, despite how convoluted it tends to be BB's plot at least keeps me interested, and not in the bad way either. The characters are fleshed out enough for me to give a shit about them, and they can make me laugh. Not many video game stories can do that. Aside from Persona.

Don't lose hope guys, there's a coloseum stage, there's always chance the imperator gets bored and challenges the good guys to a tournament for the fate of the world.