Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suzaku

BBCP Story Thread [Old]

What region of the world does the name Ragna hail from

Appears to be North Germanic in origin, so from Scandinavia (and also Iceland).

The name does have a male equivalent in "Ragnar".

Well, Mori probably had Ragnarok in mind when he named Ragna. I doubt he knows how popular the name Ragna is, unless he's an avid fan of Ragna Ingolfsdottir or Stefansdottir. The name Ragna and the Ragna in Ragnarok both derive from the same root, ragn. There are many, many names that incorporate ragn in some shape or form, but it seems like most of them are relatively confined to their Nordic countries of origin.

I didn't know Ragna was such a common name. Let alone a girl's name.

...they should totally make a joke about that in CP, just making fun of the fact that Ragna has a girl's name.

I didn't know Ragna was such a common name. Let alone a girl's name.

...they should totally make a joke about that in CP, just making fun of the fact that Ragna has a girl's name.

I would rather they don't. That kind of joke would be scraping the bottom of the barrel, and Ragna's name can be attributed to simple linguistic* and etymological drift (much like Noel having the masculine form of the name, as opposed to Noelle), at least if you're reaching for an in-story reason. It's not Ragna's fault that he was named by a talking cat anyway.

*Never mind that it's not even obvious what language they speak in BB.

I would rather they don't. That kind of joke would be scraping the bottom of the barrel, and Ragna's name can be attributed to simple linguistic* and etymological drift (much like Noel having the masculine form of the name, as opposed to Noelle), at least if you're reaching for an in-story reason. It's not Ragna's fault that he was named by a talking cat anyway.

Ragna was named by Jubei?

Well,i don't think so and for me Ragna is a cool name and really suit him than any other name,not because it was a girl name of course and i think Celica is the one who give their name not Jubei,especially if they still remember and recognize him as Bloodedge,surely Celica will be the one who named them.

Hmmm...? I'm under the impression that the official languages of the NOL are English and Japanese (signs are written in both) and that culturally everyone is a weird mish-mash of European and Asian culture apart from a few groups of "Orients" who cling to old unaltered Asian culture. Ikaruga as a "nation" was seemingly culturally similar to Japan.

It's not Ragna's fault that he was named by a talking cat anyway.

Was he? Did he name him before the church burned down? Because it can't be afterwards, I'm pretty sure Jin would call Ragna by his real name otherwise.

Was he? Did he name him before the church burned down? Because it can't be afterwards, I'm pretty sure Jin would call Ragna by his real name otherwise.

In the CT novel prologue Jubei calls him Ragna. I'm actually assuming here, because for all I know Ragna was named Ragna by whoever had prior custody of him, but that part of his past is one big question mark. Chances are, though, that if he was artificially created he wasn't named Ragna.

@Tokkan: Yeah, and the localization's Latin throws a wrench into it all, especially since that ArcSys has sort of adopted some of it (what with NOL appearing on merchandise and in the Setting Material Collection). But what I mean is, are they speaking English, Japanese, or both at different points? Ragna has move names all in English which suggests he speaks that (or...he simply thinks move names in English are cool), but being raised by a culturally Japanese nun means we rule out the possibility of him knowing Japanese. There are language markers for both English and Japanese, and it's not entirely clear which one the characters are supposed to be using.

It's honestly kind of strange that Japanese is so widespread in the BB world in the first place, but worldbuilding is not BB's strong point. I guess Japan was on its way to becoming a world superpower, hence it being so enduring.

It's honestly kind of strange that Japanese is so widespread in the BB world in the first place, but worldbuilding is not BB's strong point. I guess Japan was on its way to becoming a world superpower, hence it being so enduring.

It's a Japanese game, of course their going to want Japan to be the top dog in the world they create.

Okay, because it hasn't been brought up yet (to my attention anyway), what's Arakune's arcade story? Last time we saw the squiggly, Ignis caught him down in the sewer. Did he escape?

It's a Japanese game, of course their going to want Japan to be the top dog in the world they create.

Well, I don't expect anything different, but for the BB world it's just strange. For a country that was ravaged by the Black Beast and then all but destroyed by nuclear weapons, Japanese culture is oddly dominant in BB. You'd think that the rest of the world was torn apart, with countries rallying around Japan after the creation of ars magus, but that's not the case at all. Like I said, worldbuilding is not BB's strong point. Not providing good in-story reasons for something that the writer wants is kind of bad writing (although, really, hoping for so much from a fighting game was a mistake of mine). I'm not expecting worldbuilding on the level of Tolkien or Mieville here, just some consistency.

Relius did mess with Arakune a bit. His speech doesn't phase in and out anymore and he speaks (relatively) normally. He's still loony, though. Relius let him go, but I think Arakune is kind of devoted to Relius now.

Oh... Rachel asked Izayoi to kill her once Ragna has been killed.

Wait... Ragna is going to be killed?

Oh... and Chronophantasma refers to PEOPLE, as in people like Rachel (and Celica). I thought it refered to something else, my bad.

Oh... Rachel asked Izayoi to kill her once Ragna has been killed.

Wait... Ragna is going to be killed?

Oh... and Chronophantasma refers to PEOPLE, as in people like Rachel (and Celica).

50395g.jpg

You know what... fuck this entire story.

You know what... fuck this entire story.

It's funny, because going by the latest Bururaji that's exactly the reaction the VAs had as well.

That was really surprising like always,wait i think Hazama already stated something like this back in the first trailer,you know the part where Hazama said something about Nemesis Horizon,if i remember it right he said it like this

"Huhuhuhuhu...the party has just begun.Now..struggle,suffer,MASSACRE!!!Dance some more like the eyesore you are...!...in your own miserable song.Let the Nemesis Horizon be opened."

Could the Nemesis Horizon making them have to kill each other?Looks like Hazama still become the biggest obstacle.Seriously this is really bad for the heroes and really making the story more interesting.

Hahahaha what the hell? At least 30% of the batshittery going on in arcade mode will be explained in story mode, but that's...interesting. Why ask Izayoi? Continuum Shift arcade mode made more sense than all this.

Don't worry, Celica will heal Ragna. or Amaterasu will rewrite reality in order to revive Ragna hahahaha :v

@mitsuyoshi: There's talk of how only Noel can open the Nemesis Horizon, but Terumi found a way to circumvent it. Possibly (probably? idk) has to do with Ragna and Nu killing each other given what goes on.