Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NickExtreme1

[P4A] Labrys - Introductory Combo Thread

Thanks =). I can actually normally connect the D version, its the C i also have issues with. Even though they are slightly above me and im timing it at the same time as the D i believe, it still seems to mainly miss unless they are like directly equal with Labbys head lol. One other question. Ive seen the combo 5AA> 5AA> 2C> B+D, then continue from there. how do you get the B+D to connect? I cancel it at the right time during the 2C to start the charging of it, yet labby doesnt step foward enough. I know ive seen this done before ><

The important part of those combos is that there is a dash in there, so it should be:

5AA, 66 5AA 2C {B+D} ...

The dash is quite tight but once you have it down it's pretty easy to hit it every time. And probably obvious but you don't need to time the release of the B+D at all as it will auto release at the right time. The only tricky part there is that you need to make sure you hit B+D at the first possible moment you can cancel the 2C. If you are too late, the B+D will miss.

A lot of the combos on the wiki are wrong right now as they mix up 214A/B all the time, might fix that eventually if I get some free time.

Okay guys. You want netplay easy?

Let me paint a picture for you.

You got red axe and 1 (thats right, only 1) meter to start minimum, and you got them pushed to the corner, they get desperate and whiff something stupid. Time to kill them dead.

FC Charged 5B - Charged 2B - 2C - 214B (ground version, only 2nd hit hits, do this fast as possible) - 5AAA - 236236x

6719 for 236236C

7919 for 236236D

Im sure we can milk that to 8-9k plus with some more resource, but that is simple and effffective.

Love this character.

For example, you can do this if you standing block (maybe crouching too) Yu's DP (not even instant block it) if hes really close to the corner.

You got red axe and 1 (thats right, only 1) meter to start minimum, and you got them pushed to the corner, they get desperate and whiff something stupid. Time to kill them dead.

FC Charged 5B - Charged 2B - 2C - 214B (ground version, only 2nd hit hits, do this fast as possible) - 5AAA - 236236x

6719 for 236236C

7919 for 236236D

For example, you can do this if you standing block (maybe crouching too) Yu's DP (not even instant block it) if hes really close to the corner.

Godlike. I'd been using j.BB j.BB j.C 214B instead of 2C 214B, but that builds way less meter because no autocombo.

It's not really important, but it's good to note that charge 5B FC will go into charge 2B regardless of whether it's an air hit or a ground hit, so no need to time it for them landing or whatnot.

Do any of the Red Axe combos on the first page take FC? I'm having a lot of trouble with the first one.

no, where does it drop for u

6719 for 236236C

7919 for 236236D

Im sure we can milk that to 8-9k plus with some more resource, but that is simple and effffective.

Love this character.

Optimally, I think that starter hits around 9.2-9.5k damage starting with no meter. Off 5B FC > Sweep > OMB, it hits 10.2-10.5k damage starting with 50 meter.

not that thats an amount of damage we realistically need, but whats the notation for cracking 10k off 5b fc sweep omb?

im curious ^^

You should be able to 2Cx5 in that combo.

You can go beyond 5 in that combo, lol. It actually caps at 7. FC + OMB is a lot of untech time.

not that thats an amount of damage we realistically need, but whats the notation for cracking 10k off 5b fc sweep omb?

im curious ^^

Level 2 5B (FC) > Sweep > OMB > charge 2B > 2C > 2C > 2C > 2C > 2C > 2C > 2C > 214B (B girokasu) > 2A > 2B > j.B > j.214B > 236236B

It does 10283 damage. With 150 meter, you may be able to reach or break 10.5k.

edit: Probably the best part about that combo is the fact that you can leave out a couple moves and make the entire thing after the OMB completely burst safe, just by spacing yourself properly. Still kills lower health characters in a single combo, too, I think, haha.

Also, I can't get any more damage than the combo I listed. I don't think there's any real point to trying to get higher damage, but it was an interesting experiment regardless.

Hmm... Any (frame) data about basic combo theory available? I'd like to find out what's the general idea behind combo-building to make up my own.

For example, it seems red axe adds maybe 2-3f of extra untech which makes the longer combos possible. Something like that?

Anyway, I take it that Lab's basic strat is [short combo] -> oki -> xN -> red axe -> mega dmg?

Yeah, basic idea for her is to get pressure, get to red axe, and then kill her opponent. You can't always get to or stay in red axe, though, so being comfortable with just doing half combos and ending in oki in lower axe levels is pretty important.

Not sure about the axe levels below green, but for every level above green, there are extra untech frames added to each move. At red axe, axe normals become fatal counter. We don't have exact numbers for the axe level bonus frames, unfortunately. I was planning on getting them later, but I'm being really lazy.

Thanks for the info, Tari. That's about what I thought.

I think the lower levels might have 1-2f shaved off, but I'm not sure it matters much since you don't stay there all that long.

We'll find out with the official data once it's obtained.

As long as her axe is glowing (BGYR), your moves deal a little bit of blue damage. The closer to red you are, the more blue damage you deal, upping your combo damage significantly. At yellow/red you get extra untech time, but you don't lose untech time in grey or blue as far as I've noticed. Her mixup is pretty unimpressive in terms of actually opening people up (slow overhead or OMC into low for ehhh combo outside of Red, crossup j.B) but she can get serious frame advantage off of 5C, 22A/B, or 5D (but that one's got some issues). Ideally, you either catch a jump-out with 5A for a nice combo with a couple of B+D and 2C in there or get good anti-airs - her normals are big enough that she can play footsies with a lot of characters. On the other hand, against people with superior normals like Mitsuru you've got some major issues. Like Aigis, she can easily confirm into a knockdown and go low/overhead from there with a lockdown move, but she trades the extra lockdown for mixup options - as long as she's attacking she builds axe meter, and at high enough level she builds pretty good chip. The main thing is that she's got decent positioning off any hit; 5AA, 5AA with meter into 214A, 2A into sweep, AA 2B into j214B. And you can cash in yellow or red axe for a lot of damage on Beast.

Thing about blue damage is important because when you land a random hit, since a fair bit of it converts to recoverable HP you need to land another hit to "stick" the damage. Not an issue in combos, but is an issue playing footsies/trying to get in when in Yellow or Red.

Thanks for the info, Tari. That's about what I thought.

I think the lower levels might have 1-2f shaved off, but I'm not sure it matters much since you don't stay there all that long.

We'll find out with the official data once it's obtained.

Tested it.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?14496-Labrys-General-Discussion&p=1379055&viewfull=1#post1379055

Random combo:

Red Axe

5AA > 66 > 5AA > 2C > B+D (fatal) > 66 > 5A > 2C > B+D > 66 > 2A > 2B > 214A (A girokasu) > 5A > 2B > jB > j.214A (3317 damage, 45 meter gain)

Pretty high damage off a 5A. Notes: Cannot super afterwards. Forces ground ukemi (puts you in neutral) so don't use if you are going for knockdown setups.

Comparable to this combo that you all should be very familiar with which gives you a soft knockdown:

5AA > 66 > 5AA > 2C > B+D (fatal) > 66 > 5A > 2C > B+D > 66 > 2A > 2B > jB > jC > j.214A (3180 damage, 39 meter gain)

Red Axe Combo

CH Throw > OMB > 2C > [b+D] > 5AA > 2C > [b+D] > 5A > 2B > j.BB > j.C > j.214B > 236236D (7857 DMG)

This combo is midscreen approaching the corner since j.BB > j.C needs to hit in the corner. Not Counter Hit is harder but doable if time the first 2C when your opponent is lower to the ground then with the Counter Hit Throw, it does ~200 less damage. You can make the end easier with just j.B > j.C > j.214B > 236236D if not at the corner for 7656 DMG (~200 less without Counter Hit).

Random combo:

Red Axe

5AA > 66 > 5AA > 2C > B+D (fatal) > 66 > 5A > 2C > B+D > 66 > 2A > 2B > 214A (A girokasu) > 5A > 2B > jB > j.214A (3317 damage, 45 meter gain)

Pretty high damage off a 5A. Notes: Cannot super afterwards. Forces ground ukemi (puts you in neutral) so don't use if you are going for knockdown setups.

Comparable to this combo that you all should be very familiar with which gives you a soft knockdown:

5AA > 66 > 5AA > 2C > B+D (fatal) > 66 > 5A > 2C > B+D > 66 > 2A > 2B > jB > jC > j.214A (3180 damage, 39 meter gain)

are you advantage at all? any time to get moving for a quick grab/dp bait/2a... or are you fully neutral and back ot that labrys footsie dance?

are you advantage at all? any time to get moving for a quick grab/dp bait/2a... or are you fully neutral and back ot that labrys footsie dance?

Fully neutral, right up next to them. So prepare to block DP mash, punish roll, punish chicken blocking, throw tech, etc etc.

If you want a gimmicky setup, instead of finishing the combo with j.B > j.214A, go for j.C. The game force air ukemi's midway through j.C so if they are not holding back in the air, get ready for a fast reset into j.214B. This puts you in the same position as the previous combo (soft knockdown).

Red Axe Combo

CH Throw > OMB > 2C > [b+D] > 5AA > 2C > [b+D] > 5A > 2B > j.BB > j.C > j.214B > 236236D (7857 DMG)

This combo is midscreen approaching the corner since j.BB > j.C needs to hit in the corner. Not Counter Hit is harder but doable if time the first 2C when your opponent is lower to the ground then with the Counter Hit Throw, it does ~200 less damage. You can make the end easier with just j.B > j.C > j.214B > 236236D if not at the corner for 7656 DMG (~200 less without Counter Hit).

Off of midscreen CH throw, you can do this combo for around 8.2k at red axe:

CH Throw > OMB > dash 2C > dash 2C > FC B+D > dash 5A > 2C > FC B+D > dash 5A > 2C > FC B+D > 2A > 2B > hj.B > j.214B > 236236D

If you end up too close to the corner during the combo, you can drop a loop and replace it with corner aerial enders into 236236D.

If you start from non-CH, you can drop one of the starting 2Cs and add j.C at the end for 7.8k damage mid-screen.

Fully neutral, right up next to them. So prepare to block DP mash, punish roll, punish chicken blocking, throw tech, etc etc.

If you want a gimmicky setup, instead of finishing the combo with j.B > j.214A, go for j.C. The game force air ukemi's midway through j.C so if they are not holding back in the air, get ready for a fast reset into j.214B. This puts you in the same position as the previous combo (soft knockdown).

If you do go for that gimmick, have 50 meter for a OMC, or you'll end up in a punishable situation.

If you do go for that gimmick, have 50 meter for a OMC, or you'll end up in a punishable situation.

This gimmick is definitely risky. You need to be godlike at hitconfirming. The last hit of j.C will hit them as they tech, but if you autopilot it into j.214B for the reset and they block, either burn that 50 meter for OMC or get punished.

Off of midscreen CH throw, you can do this combo for around 8.2k at red axe:

CH Throw > OMB > dash 2C > dash 2C > FC B+D > dash 5A > 2C > FC B+D > dash 5A > 2C > FC B+D > 2A > 2B > hj.B > j.214B > 236236D

If you end up too close to the corner during the combo, you can drop a loop and replace it with corner aerial enders into 236236D.

If you start from non-CH, you can drop one of the starting 2Cs and add j.C at the end for 7.8k damage mid-screen.

That is a lot of 2C going on. Thanks, at least I know I can kill Yosuke and Naoto off of a throw now :toot:

At the B+D

if you mean the first BD theres 3 things to note

1: there is a small small small dash between the first and second sets of 5aa

2: you should start charging the BD asap after the 2c

3: though you can let it auto-release, releasing it a smidge early is helpful since you can release a smidge early and get the fatal counter anyway

if you mean the 2nd bd, i try to get a little dash before the 5aa to help make it more consistant, but otherwise its the same notes as the first BD

just practice and youll get it ^^

Man I really wish there was an Axe Gauge.. Also wish there was on option to leave an axe at a fixed level, yet have it still level up during combos...jeez.

Anyway can I ask what techniques you guys use to do combos that involve holding down a tsurugi for a set period of time? Like for Labrys' challenge 29 [Corner] 5B(2) > 22A > 5A > 2B > (sword hit) > BI > etc. I remember someone saying something about rolling it but I didn't understand what they meant.