Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NickExtreme1

[P4A] Labrys - Introductory Combo Thread

Man I really wish there was an Axe Gauge.. Also wish there was on option to leave an axe at a fixed level, yet have it still level up during combos...jeez.

Anyway can I ask what techniques you guys use to do combos that involve holding down a tsurugi for a set period of time? Like for Labrys' challenge 29 [Corner] 5B(2) > 22A > 5A > 2B > (sword hit) > BI > etc. I remember someone saying something about rolling it but I didn't understand what they meant.

If you want to do ...22A (hold) > 2A > 2B > (release)... for example, then you input 22A~C and hold C. That notation basically means that when you input the 22A, you immediately also hit C. For Labrys, if you input a second button while the startup for the Tsurugi placement is still occuring, you can instead hold that second button down to delay the sword appearance.

...and yeah, I think we're all annoyed with the axe gauge being so inflexible in training mode.

Thanks for the info. It's the good stuff.

------

So I see a lot of combo building in the red axe department, so I thought that I'd focus on green axe for moment. I think Green-to-Red axe combos are going to be essential tools in her arsenal.

So far I know these, which were present in vids Iora was kind enough to share:

j.B -> dash 5b -> 214SB -> 22b -> 5aa -> Swords cage thingy -> 5a -> Sweep -> 214a

J.BB -> dash 214SB -> 22b -> 5a -> 5b -> Swords! -> 5a -> 5b -> Sweep

2b (might need CH) -> j.B -> dj.B -> j.C -> j.214b -> OMC -> autocombo

5aaa -> 236a (SB) -> 2b -> sj.B -> j.C -> 214b

There might be more, not sure if I missed.

Anyway, I'll be working on these in the immediate future since getting to red axe >>> knowing high-dmg combos, imo.

Thanks for the info. It's the good stuff.

------

So I see a lot of combo building in the red axe department, so I thought that I'd focus on green axe for moment. I think Green-to-Red axe combos are going to be essential tools in her arsenal.

So far I know these, which were present in vids Iora was kind enough to share:

j.B -> dash 5b -> 214SB -> 22b -> 5aa -> Swords cage thingy -> 5a -> Sweep -> 214a

J.BB -> dash 214SB -> 22b -> 5a -> 5b -> Swords! -> 5a -> 5b -> Sweep

2b (might need CH) -> j.B -> dj.B -> j.C -> j.214b -> OMC -> autocombo

5aaa -> 236a (SB) -> 2b -> sj.B -> j.C -> 214b

There might be more, not sure if I missed.

Anyway, I'll be working on these in the immediate future since getting to red axe >>> knowing high-dmg combos, imo.

I think I've listed this one before, but it's very, very useful to know:

- 5AA > 214A+B > 22B > 2A > 2B > (sword hit) > j.B (can side swap here) > 5A > 5B > Sweep > oki

Puts you fully into red, allows you to switch sides with the opponent, and still ends in sweep oki.

The only reason I bothered coming up with those j.B starter green-to-red axe combos is because you can't do the combo I just listed if you start from j.B. Pretty unfortunate. :(

Beyond that, green-to-red combos are basically all variations of "blah > 214A+B > some B moves". I think it takes about 3 B moves after the SB guillotine to hit red axe.

^ Good stuff, Tari.

I'll look into starting a G-R combo off 2a since I think 2a is a better move than 5a and it hits low anyway. Best starter to get into red axe, imo.

I tried out the above combo. Some notes:

- 2a does not seem to work as a starter. Even 2a -> 214SB -> etc. lets the opponent can tech right after/just before the next 2a.

- 2a -> 2b -> Swords! whiffs for me, at least on SLab because 2b shoots them too high. I switched it with 2a -> 5b and it seems fine.

Lastly, I'm not sure 2a works at all for G -> R combos. Needs a bit more testing...

I tried out the above combo. Some notes:

- 2a does not seem to work as a starter. Even 2a -> 214SB -> etc. lets the opponent can tech right after/just before the next 2a.

- 2a -> 2b -> Swords! whiffs for me, at least on SLab because 2b shoots them too high. I switched it with 2a -> 5b and it seems fine.

Lastly, I'm not sure 2a works at all for G -> R combos. Needs a bit more testing...

I don't know of any 2A starter G->R combos. The closest you can probably come is CH 2A > 214A+B > dash 5A > 2B > j.B > jc j.B > j.C > j.214A/j.214A+B, or CH 2A > 214A+B > dash 5AAAA. Those still leave you about one 5B/2B short of red axe, though. If you do those from almost yellow axe, they'll get you to red, but it's not really that worthwhile.

You'll get better oki and a reasonable amount of axe gauge from just doing 2AAA > 5B > Sweep > oki/214A.

@2A > 2B > Sword whiff:

You're probably too close for the 22B to land. If you start at point blank, do 22A.

if i find a 25 meter 2a g-to-r combo ill post it, mission obtained.

i have done 50 meter 2a g-to-r, but dont know how close to yellow i was since it was mid match.

ill post stuff soon

You can do 2A > 5B > 214A+B > 5AAAA in the corner for a G->R combo. Was thinking of universal-use combos, so I forgot to post it, but that one does exist. Also goes into 5AAA > AOA > 5B for the 2B reset.

50 meter 2a g-to-r

non-ch 2a 2a 2a 5b sweep 214a OMC 5aaaa = 1920-1939

be fast on the '214a OMC 5a'. works in deep green, but not 1 frame out of blue (youll be 1 5a out of it, so fucking clooooose), so i would say in most situations it would work. so if you got 50 meter, your golden. you need 36-37 meter to start.

might be able to do other things from the OMC, but simple is simple.

non-ch 25 meter off 2a, i would say probably not possible. dicey if ch 2a 25 meter is.

might be able to do other things from the OMC, but simple is simple.

non-ch 25 meter off 2a, i would say probably not possible. dicey if ch 2a 25 meter is.

Yeah, you can OMC for red axe, but in most cases, I'd probably save the meter and just do some oki. Ending in sweep + oki still puts you halfway into yellow, saves you the 50 meter, and lets you pressure you opponent better. One more combo from there is guaranteed red axe, anyway.

And I agree with the 25 meter G->R 2A combo being virtually impossible. Mid-screen, that is. Corner is confirmed possible, even without CH.

I'll test it tomorrow if someone doesn't do it first, but does CH 2A go into 2B? That could probably set up a 25 meter g-to-r...2A 2B is a ballsy confirm though.

2A CH > 2B works, but won't get you red from green. You can't chain enough B moves into a green axe air combo for it, unfortunately, and 2B doesn't combo into 2C at green, nor does it combo directly into 214A+B.

edit:

I figure I might as well post some of my stupid gimmicks for the hell of it, so here's a new one:

5AA > 214A+B > 22A/B > 2A > 2B > sword hit > AOA > ...

Where ... can be any of the following:

1) FC D ender for knockdown

2) FC C ender for instant air tech and throw possibility

or the actual gimmick, which is

3) delay FC C or D ender for reset from AOA, with the Fatal Counter as a starter.

That FC has pretty normal proration on it, but it does about 2k raw damage if it's the start of a combo, haha. Did the C version into j.A > j.B > j.C > j.214A > 236236C > OMB > 214B > 236236D and got around 7.7k damage.

Compare that to starting with 2B FC into that combo (7k) or just starting from j.A (6.3k).

There're also setups for resetting in the middle of the AOA mash attacks, which apparently has some amazing proration or something. Those also require SB Guillotine, but you just repeat a lot of 5As and crap instead, so you super prorate your combo before the AOA.

Dunno if this is already known, but if you use 214214C/D as a reversal and it hits, you can follow up with auto-combo into 236236D. I've only done it in matches so far, so I haven't had a chance to see if you can do anything else with that starter or how much damage it normally does, but you'll get about 3k on an opponent in Awakening.

It's obviously not something you'll do often, but it's good to know what you can do.

Dunno if this is already known, but if you use 214214C/D as a reversal and it hits, you can follow up with auto-combo into 236236D. I've only done it in matches so far, so I haven't had a chance to see if you can do anything else with that starter or how much damage it normally does, but you'll get about 3k on an opponent in Awakening.

It's obviously not something you'll do often, but it's good to know what you can do.

if you didnt get the CH for 214214x, you can drop them out of the autocombo, and drop them/whiff the super. just be aware.

Hilarious shit with the reset, Tari. Do you know how the AOA FC followup is on block?

And yeah, 2B followup works, although the timing for a ground hit is kind of weird. I've also seen a lot of Labrys's go for 5AA dash 2B unblockable reset off of 214214C/D.

Hilarious shit with the reset, Tari. Do you know how the AOA FC followup is on block?

And yeah, 2B followup works, although the timing for a ground hit is kind of weird. I've also seen a lot of Labrys's go for 5AA dash 2B unblockable reset off of 214214C/D.

It's minus, but safe on block, lol. In fact, without IB, it's very hard for the opponent to even stuff you before you can follow up with another 5A, due to the last hit of AOA pushing them away on block. They can mash DP before the last hit, though, since that's where it resets.

if you didnt get the CH for 214214x, you can drop them out of the autocombo, and drop them/whiff the super. just be aware.

Tested this earlier, and it's only true if you do it as soon as Labrys can act. If you wait until the end, it won't drop, whether it was a CH or not.

non-optimal, but a combo i found that maybe someone can take a piece from and do something fun with it

red axe, start with 17-18 meter, midscreen

FC 5B - 2C - (66 - 5A - 2B - 2C)x2 - 214B (2nd hit only) - 236236D = 6682

also you can (66 - 5A - 2C)x3-4 instead, didnt note the damage.

can also start with FC 5A for less damage.

without the super, the FC 5B starter is like 3.8, while FC 5A is a little lower. moves a good amount sideways for corner carry, timing isnt that strict, so maybe at worst its a low level option for players who dont have the 2C - [bD] loops down.

Hope someone gets all combo movie on my ass and finds some swag though ^^ (maybe do 1 rep into 214B, then OMB, and swag on their fucking face)

I finally picked up my copy of this and have been playing around with Labrys. She's fun :D

Getting a late start sucks, but I'm beginning to wrap my head around the system mechanics and her moveset. Now I'm deciding on combos to use and have a few quick questions. If a few people could give input, I'd greatly appreciate it:

- At each axe level, what's generally the best benefit to aim for with combos? So far it seems like the criteria are Axe level increase, damage, oki possible afterwards, meter gained/spent, reset potential, and going for the kill. Are there more I'm overlooking?

Right now I'm thinking...

Lv1-3: Axe gauge > oki > meter spent/gained > damage > reset potential

Lv4: Axe gauge/oki > meter spent/gained > damage > reset potential

Lv5: If health is in KO range, then kill with BeastC/BeastD/BI combos > oki > damage > meter spent

Basically, once you land a starter, what should be your general priority?

- What are her other oki/mixup options besides Tsurugi (I've seen the thread for those on MM)?

- I hear she has some nasty resets, are there any particularly worth noting?

non-optimal, but a combo i found that maybe someone can take a piece from and do something fun with it

red axe, start with 17-18 meter, midscreen

FC 5B - 2C - (66 - 5A - 2B - 2C)x2 - 214B (2nd hit only) - 236236D = 6682

also you can (66 - 5A - 2C)x3-4 instead, didnt note the damage.

can also start with FC 5A for less damage.

without the super, the FC 5B starter is like 3.8, while FC 5A is a little lower. moves a good amount sideways for corner carry, timing isnt that strict, so maybe at worst its a low level option for players who dont have the 2C - [bD] loops down.

Hope someone gets all combo movie on my ass and finds some swag though ^^ (maybe do 1 rep into 214B, then OMB, and swag on their fucking face)

FC 5B > 2C > FC B+D > dash 5A > 2C > dash 5A > 2C > dash 5A > 2C> dash 5A > j.A > j.C > j.214B > 236236D - 6902 damage.

FC 5B > 2C > FC B+D > dash 5A > 2C > FC B+D > dash 5A > 2C > FC B+D > dash 2A > 2B > j.B > j.214B > 236236D - 7588 damage.

The first combo is actually harder to do, in my opinion, lol.

I finally picked up my copy of this and have been playing around with Labrys. She's fun :D

Getting a late start sucks, but I'm beginning to wrap my head around the system mechanics and her moveset. Now I'm deciding on combos to use and have a few quick questions. If a few people could give input, I'd greatly appreciate it:

- At each axe level, what's generally the best benefit to aim for with combos? So far it seems like the criteria are Axe level increase, damage, oki possible afterwards, meter gained/spent, reset potential, and going for the kill. Are there more I'm overlooking?

Right now I'm thinking...

Lv1-3: Axe gauge > oki > meter spent/gained > damage > reset potential

Lv4: Axe gauge/oki > meter spent/gained > damage > reset potential

Lv5: If health is in KO range, then kill with BeastC/BeastD/BI combos > oki > damage > meter spent

Basically, once you land a starter, what should be your general priority?

- What are her other oki/mixup options besides Tsurugi (I've seen the thread for those on MM)?

- I hear she has some nasty resets, are there any particularly worth noting?

You've got a pretty reasonable game plan there, so I won't add anything to it.

Oki and corner carry is fairly important.

Her alternative oki is stuff like safe jump j.B, normal wakeup pressure stuff, etc. The only other one really worth noting is 5C at range.

Her resets are mostly things like 5AA > (opponent air techs) > 2B, or in the corner 5AAA > AOA > 5B > (opponent air techs) > 2B. There are some other interesting (if less practical) resets I've written somewhere in this thread. I'll make a video with some of them soon, I think.

I just read in the Mitsuru thread about FC 5A antiair combos, and that got me thinking, I don't actually know any. In the corner, I know it can 2C loop into the usual, but midscreen, what does antiair fatal 5A let you do? Extra reps of B+D?

Slightly related question: What can I get off of antiair CH 5A in green? For instance, a midscreen burst punish or DP punish.

Red axe:

Anti-Air CH 5AA > 2C > FC B+D > dash 5A > 2C > FC B+D > dash 5A > 2C > FC B+D > ...

1) ...2A > 2B > hj.B > j.214B > 236236D

2) ...2A > 2B > 214B > 236236C/D (if you miss one hit on a previous 2C, you can do 2A > 2B > 2C > 214B, I believe. Weird stuff, so I'd suggest against trying to do it)

3) ...2A > 2B > 214A+B > 22B/C~[C] > 2B > 214214A (release sword here)

The BI combo requires weird spacing and hits, so I would avoid trying to actively do it.

When in doubt for Labrys, start doing 2C > FC B+D loops. It's her high damage combo filler.

---

In green axe, you get significantly less. You can do 5A (CH) and then a pretty short combo. For example, 5A (CH) 2B > hj.B > j.C > j.214B, or 5A (CH) AAAA. You can go into Green-to-Red combos, as well, or probably even do 236236C extended combos, but the damage just isn't going to be very impressive, as far as I know.

So since Labrys can combo off of 236x > 6 > A followup with Yellow/Red Axe, I just wanted to point out how great it is to use after a 2A starter (and 5B).

Examples:

Yellow

2A > 5B > 236A > 6 > A > 66 > 5A > sjc > j.A > j.C > j.214B - 1903 Damage

Red

2A > 5B > 236A > 6 > A > 66 > 5AA > 66 > 5A > 2B > sjc > j.B > j.C > j.214B - 2433 Damage

with 236236D - 5193 Damage

For Yellow Axe, you have to dash a lot shorter after the A followup than you would with Red Axe.

If you aren't satisfied with the 1.5k damage or 1k damage + oki you would normally get off of a non-CH 2A starter without meter, you can try this out.

But the main selling point of this combo isn't damage, it's corner carry.

The Yellow Axe version has about twice the corner carry 2A > 5B > 2AB > 214A gives (+more damage).

The Red Axe version goes from coast to coast in 2 combos.

So I was thinking, corner carry is nice and all, but I don't know any good corner specific combos to take advantage of that. Help?

Corner stuff is mostly red axe, though there are yellow axe variations for some things.

All axe corner combo:

5AAA > AOA > oki

Basic yellow corner only combo:

5AA > dash 5AAA > 5AAAA

Basic red axe corner only combos:

- 2A(AA) > 5B > 236A - 6 - A > 2B > j.B > jc j.B > j.C > j.214B

- 5AA > 5AA > 2C > hj.BB > j.C > j.214B (might be remembering this one wrong, so you'd want to test it to be sure)

There're also corner-specific AOA combos (seeing as how you can end in fatal D ender in the corner), but most of them actually do about the same damage as midscreen red axe AOA-C combos.

Fatal counter and counter throw corner combos are basically all something into 2C loops into either Girokasu or j.BB into D super for 7k+ damage.

By the by, midscreen red axe, you can also do this: 5AAA > 236A/B - 6 - A > dash j.A > j.C > j.214B.

- 5AA > 5AA > 2C > hj.BB > j.C > j.214B (might be remembering this one wrong, so you'd want to test it to be sure)

I can vouch for this one. Use it whenever I confirm a non-FC 5AA in the corner.

However, instead of hj.BB, I usually do j.BB>dj.BB>j.C>j.214B. You have to do a slight delay on the first j.BB or the opponent will be too high for j.C>j.214B to connect after the second one, but the timing's not that hard to get down and it does net a bit more damage and meter. I don't remember whether or not you can use 236236 afterward, though, so yours might be better if going for the kill.