Sign in to follow this  
Tari

[P4A] Labrys - Basic Combo Thread

Yeah, the advanced version of the smp loop only works with lower proration. Not exactly that easy to tell what counts as low enough proration without just training moding a bunch of combos, though.

Haha. I was trying to do that earlier actually, but the dummy kept dropping out of the 236236D. It's also very dependent on how many hits 5DD lands (more hits = more proration > harder if not impossible to combo)

@ excelence

I didn't actually try the combo in default axe (I'm lazy), so I did the whole thing in green and it did between 5-6k? The key is 1 hit 5D, then delay the 5BB after the 5B so that the persona goes away before doing the next j.BB (or j.B > j.C for simplicity)

The combo actually works with all 4 hits of the 5DD followup. It is a red axe FC combo, so most things work, lol.

Also, off of [5B] counterhit in the corner, if you're not at red axe, it's usually a good idea to just go into 22A and do a combo that builds to red axe before the 236236D.

Edited by Tari

When you want to save red axe for next round but need to go for the kill.

Red Axe: Brutal Impact

5AA > Dash > 5AA > 2C > B+D(fatal) > Dash > 2A > 2B > SP Guillotine > B Tsurugi > 2A > 2B > Brutal Impact > (Tsurugi Hit) > (Brutal Impact Hit) (5272 Damage)

2B(fatal) > JC > j.B(delay) > j.C > Land > 5A > 2C > B+D > Dash > 2A > 2B > SP Guillotine > B Tsurugi > 2A > 2B > Brutal Impact > (Tsurugi Hit) > (Brutal Impact Hit) (6306 Damage)

B+D(fatal) > Dash > 2A > 2B > SP Guillotine > B Tsurugi > 2A > 2B > Brutal Impact > (Tsurugi Hit) > (Brutal Impact Hit) (4926 Damage)

(cross-up) Tsurugi(2 hits) > B+D(fatal) > 2A > 2B > SP Guillotine > B Tsurugi > 2A > 2B > Brutal Impact > (Tsurugi Hit) > (Brutal Impact Hit) (5085 Damage)

So this forum is dead and all but I thought I'd just post something LK helped me figure out yesterday. Apparently Labryses in JP have been doing it for a while, I just haven't watched.

We've known about 25% green to reds since day 1 but I don't think anyone's found a way to get spike oki after it, which kind of kills the point since you might as well save meter for a bigger G to R with a super at the end.

5AA 214AB 22A 2A 2B ~spike hits~ j.B 5A 5B 2AB (22B)

5A green to red for 25 SP that retains spike oki! ...huzzah. K backing to playing guilty gear yeeeeee

Not trying to take away from your discovery but isn't that combo just this one:

[25 meter] 5AA > 214A+B > 22A/B > 2A > 2B > (sword hit 1 + 2) > j.B > 5B > 2A+B > oki (2101 dmg, 6 meter gain)
with an extra 5A in it? Does it deal more damage than the one on the first post?

Not trying to take away from your discovery but isn't that combo just this one: with an extra 5A in it? Does it deal more damage than the one on the first post?

The question is axe meter build. An alternative combo off 5AA could be

[25 meter] 5AA > 214A+B > 22B > 2A > 2B > s.jc > release sword > j.236B (superjump height) > 2A+B

But I'm pretty sure that doesn't build green > red unless your 75%-ish into yellow (ugh quantifying axe level is so weird)

Also not at home atm so I guess I'll update damage and meter when I get back

But both E$ports's combo and the one in the first post get you to red axe from green. If they both do that, then you would need to compare them in terms of damage and meter gain to see which is better, right? Or is there something I am missing?

No, that would really be it. E$ports's combo will definitely gain more meter as that is not affected by proration. As far as damage is concerned, I want to say j.B > 5B does less despite proration, but since 236AB is notorious for its bad proration, I would have to check to confirm.

Repost to bump. It looks like adding an extra 5A will increase neither damage or meter gain. It's safer if you accidentally cross them up with j.B though. Damage ~2054, 6 meter (-19). [Though I could not reproduce 2101 from the original post.]

Just dropping in to note that 5A > 5B is a great way to finish off a more prorated FC B+D if you're going for super.

I was using 5A > 2B > J.C > 214B > Super, but I found the D version would drop mid-super on occasion (likely has something to do with how late or early you cancel into it). I was then trying 5AA > 2C > 214B, but on combos off of certain starters (ground bounce 214AB or Throw > OMC > 5AA for example), it would be pretty hard to hit and in some cases, the super would drop anyway. I now use 5A > 5B to cut out all that nonsense when I want to finish with a super and the typical 5A > 2B ender if I'm not. The damage is more or less the same.

Also, I haven't gone through the whole thread yet, so I'm not sure if it's been posted, but I found a neat corner to corner combo that's really easy to do.

FC 5AA > 236A > 6 > A > 236A > 6 > A > 236A > 6 > A

You can end it with both supers, but getting the timing right on the D super so that all of the super's hits actually hit the opponent is pretty tough. C Super's still a good way to top it off if you want a little extra damage and have the meter for it.

Edited by LazyAlchemist

That corner carry combo and some variations are in a the general discussion thread somewhere, as well as in a couple of our combo videos, I believe.

======

It's been months since I last played this game, so I opened up training mode to check, and I'm pretty sure the FC B+D, 5A/2A > 2B > j.B > j.C > j.214B > 236236D combo should never drop. Ever.

The only time the super will fail to connect is if you mistime your input and whiff the first hit of the super. In that case, the opponent can tech before your super ever hits them. If the super actually hits, all hits should connect.

By the way, 2A does a tiny bit (around 20-30 damage) more damage than 5A at the end of a combo that starts off of FC B+D.

Here's are four of the more common combo paths off of FC B+D, listed in order of damage:

- FC B+D, dash 5A > 2C > FC B+D, dash 2A > 2B > 2C > 214B > 236236D = 5777 dmg

- FC B+D, dash 5A > 2C > FC B+D, dash 2A > 2B > hj.B > j.C > j.214B > 236236D = 5686 dmg

- FC B+D, dash 2A > 2B > 2C > 214B > 236236D = 5281 dmg

- FC B+D, 2A > 2B > j.B > j.C > j.214B > 236236D = 5144 dmg

In comparison, your version of the combo (FC B+D, 2A > 5B > 236236D) does 4422 damage. That's between 700 and 1300 damage you're losing out on.

Having said that, if you don't feel like you can execute the other combos reliably (some of the timings take a bit of practice), there's nothing wrong with going with the more reliable option. :)

=======

If you were talking about FC B+D towards the end of a long combo, then you either did too many loops of FC B+D and you need to strip one out, or your timing or choice of ender is incorrect.

Edited by Tari

I do the loop a tad differently to make things a bit more consistent.

FC B+D > 5AA > 2C > FC B+D > Etc.

I guess I should have noted that it's different than the one listed on the front page.

Ah, yeah, 5AA after the FC B+D adds more proration and lowers damage. It's arguably more stable, as you can catch the opponent at a lower height and thus have a longer window for the dash, but if you can avoid doing the second A, I'd really suggest you do. The single 5A is just as stable if you practice it a little. :P

That aside, definitely try using 2A at the end of your loops instead of 5A. If you're running into problems with having slightly too much proration, swapping out a 5A for a 2A will shave off a nice bit of the same-move proration you're incurring. Could make a difference.

I was doing the single 5A for a long time and was dropping it way more than I'd like to, so I made the quick adjustment. I needed to work on my consistency a bit because I'll be taking it to Faustings in 2 days. :p

Just a thought, it feels like j.C prorates in an interesting way, so if you're ever in doubt maybe try 2B > j.B > 214A > 236236D (unless you've used too many j.B's already which from the sounds of this discussion is highly unlikely)

I was doing the single 5A for a long time and was dropping it way more than I'd like to, so I made the quick adjustment. I needed to work on my consistency a bit because I'll be taking it to Faustings in 2 days. :p

Oho. Best of luck!

Just a thought, it feels like j.C prorates in an interesting way, so if you're ever in doubt maybe try 2B > j.B > 214A > 236236D (unless you've used too many j.B's already which from the sounds of this discussion is highly unlikely)

This is definitely true, but I believe it has less to do with the proration (j.C prorates once, iirc, and has the same P2 as j.B) and more with the untech time of the hit and maybe the number of hits. j.B has more untech time than j.C, which makes it a more stable connection.

Gonna go with Tari on this one. j.C has a pretty gross P2, but makes holds them in place better if the combo isn't whoa-super-scaled.

Is there any reason to go for j.214A? I've never scaled a combo so hard that 214B drops. If anything, they drop mid-super when the combo overscales.

Gonna go with Tari on this one. j.C has a pretty gross P2, but makes holds them in place better if the combo isn't whoa-super-scaled.

Is there any reason to go for j.214A? I've never scaled a combo so hard that 214B drops. If anything, they drop mid-super when the combo overscales.

If you're height is right, 214B is fine. I've just never dropped j.B > 214A at pretty much any height. And I guess it would and wouldn't be prorated and more techable time/hitstun. Again this is like a "safe" combo, not "optimal". You would only do it if you're uncertain anyways.

There are a couple situations where you have to use j.214A instead of j.214B, but those tend to be height related and dependent on what move you're comboing out of. The first example I can think of is the impractical red axe combo of ...j.BB > j.D > air dash > j.214A..., as the height and timing is typically not j.214B-friendly.

Out of a normal j.B/j.C combo, j.214B is usually stable. Can't think of any normal situations where it would fail, but there are probably edge scenarios where it happens.

I'm working on:

5AA > dash 5AA > 2C > FC [b+D] > dash 5A > 2C > FC [b+D] > dash 2A > 2B > 2C > 214B

And I am having a lot of trouble getting the dash out between the 5AA's... I can get 5AA>5AA out, but I can't link anything else after that... so... Yeah... I know I've gotten it out appropriately before because I've gotten farther in the combo a few times, so I must be getting it out. Any tips on how to get that transition down a bit cleaner? I'd really appreciate the help! Thanks <3

I'm working on:

5AA > dash 5AA > 2C > FC [b+D] > dash 5A > 2C > FC [b+D] > dash 2A > 2B > 2C > 214B

And I am having a lot of trouble getting the dash out between the 5AA's... I can get 5AA>5AA out, but I can't link anything else after that... so... Yeah... I know I've gotten it out appropriately before because I've gotten farther in the combo a few times, so I must be getting it out. Any tips on how to get that transition down a bit cleaner? I'd really appreciate the help! Thanks <3

It's just something you need to practice really. Visually if you look at Labrys while doing it it's when she brings her axe back to neutral when you want to dash, then immediately hit 5AA again and bam you've got it. I'd practice the 5AA 66 5AA 66 5AA.. etc. etc. corner carry combo to learn the timing better.

It's just something you need to practice really. Visually if you look at Labrys while doing it it's when she brings her axe back to neutral when you want to dash, then immediately hit 5AA again and bam you've got it. I'd practice the 5AA 66 5AA 66 5AA.. etc. etc. corner carry combo to learn the timing better.

Thanks a ton! Time to get to work~ <3

I asked this on Mayonaka (only to forget that hardly visits the Labrys section...) but does anyone know of any options after landing a j.BB as a starter? Too far in the middle of the screen just knocks the opponent away, but there has to be something you can do with that wall bounce. Yeah, "What are the odds of doing that?" but I find myself landing j.B but not double jumping afterwards.

I asked this on Mayonaka (only to forget that hardly visits the Labrys section...) but does anyone know of any options after landing a j.BB as a starter? Too far in the middle of the screen just knocks the opponent away, but there has to be something you can do with that wall bounce. Yeah, "What are the odds of doing that?" but I find myself landing j.B but not double jumping afterwards.

It depends if you land J.BB you can either do

j.BB<jump cancel<j.C<j.214a/b or

J.BB<jump cancel<j.214a/b

The 1st combo I listed does more dmg than the 2nd one.

You cant do that combo if you already super jumped or double jumped prior to landing the j.BB.

The situation I named was if your opponent is in the air.

The wallbounce occur more consistently if you land J.BB yellow and red axe lvls

Edited by Tecta1Eastside

Depends where you land it. If you land it on them close to the ground/on the ground you can j.BB > 66 > 5B > 236A/B > 6 > Follow up. You can do it in green axe too, but it's a tight link.

Sign in to follow this