Jyosua

[P4A] Mitsuru Kirijo Beginner Q&A Thread

Main_Header_Q&A_Thread.png

This thread is for the sole purpose of questions regarding the character. Whether it be advice on spacing or how to do particular combos, ask away here. Please refrain from being confrontational in this thread - everyone here just wants to learn.

Edited by Jourdal

l have a question. what (where) the hell are her weaknesses? serious question btw.

limited mix up options and slow normals which make it hard for her to deal with up close pressure without doing an DP.

limited mix up options and slow normals which make it hard for her to deal with up close pressure without doing an DP.

This. 2A isn't very good for poking during unsafe pressure unless the opponent is at a distance. 5A is actually better than 2A for that purpose. Jumping out doesn't work very well in this game due to the highly unsafe startup, so if you can't mash at the right times, you have to rely on the highly unsafe DP or Counterassault (which I feel was gimped in this game).

As far as mixup goes, we all know her options. I feel like she's more of a reactionary character than most. You can punish people doing stupid shit relatively hard, and AUBs are good for resets in this game... very good. But against a solid player, it becomes hard to get the confirms you need to do damage.

Well, since no one seems to be answering my question in the combo thread...

I'm having trouble doing a certain combo: CH j.C-4B-2B-2D-[6B]-2AB-C Bufula-blah blah

My problem is with the C Bufula. One of two things normally happens: 1) I hit them with the B, but the sweep completely whiffs under them. 2) I hit them with both, but now they're too low to be hit by Bufula. Occasionally, the combo hits correctly though. I don't normally have a problem with doing charged Bs into C Bufula (well, actually, I'm having this same problem with the ...2DD-[4B]-2AB-C Bufula combo), so I think it's actually the 4B-2B-2D part that's messing me up. I also find it's easier to do [5B] instead of [6B], but that hasn't increased my chances of success to the point where I would try this in an actual match. Can anyone shed any light as to my issue? Thanks in advance.

thanks guys. so l guess it wont hurt to just block... everything and wait for that one opening to beat her rich ass to a bloddy pulp.

I'm having trouble doing a certain combo: CH j.C-4B-2B-2D-[6B]-2AB-C Bufula-blah blah

My problem is with the C Bufula. One of two things normally happens: 1) I hit them with the B, but the sweep completely whiffs under them. 2) I hit them with both, but now they're too low to be hit by Bufula. Occasionally, the combo hits correctly though. I don't normally have a problem with doing charged Bs into C Bufula (well, actually, I'm having this same problem with the ...2DD-[4B]-2AB-C Bufula combo), so I think it's actually the 4B-2B-2D part that's messing me up. I also find it's easier to do [5B] instead of [6B], but that hasn't increased my chances of success to the point where I would try this in an actual match. Can anyone shed any light as to my issue? Thanks in advance.

usually the problem is you need to hit them with teh sweep as high off the ground as possible.

it's difficult to describe, but it's clear that youv'e been trying and noticing what doesn't work. so now do it differently and try to find a way to get it to work for you. i don't ahve an suggestions here and it's difficult to describe this type of stuff online.

good luck.

Unfortunately, no one can tell you how it works, you just need to figure out the timing. In my experience, I have a higher success rate with [5B] than [6B]. Keep in mind that they need to be as high as possible when it hits in order for C Bufula to hit. If they are too low after the 2AB and C Bufula misses, you can get some decent damage off of a grab. It'll throw them right into the ice for something like this GRAB > (makes contact with ice) > [6B] > 2AB > B Coup.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get it eventually.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I was able to figure it out for that combo, but now, I'm having trouble with a variant. First off, for others having the same problem I did...

You want to let the "4B-2B-2D" part hit as low as possible, you then want to start charging B as soon as the ice hits your opponent, if you do it right, you should get it. I figured my problem was in the preceding part rather than the actual part that wasn't connecting.

Well, this is all fine and dandy for that combo, but now when I do this:

AA 2B-2D-[6B]-2AB-C Bufula-blah blah...

I notice that the timing changes depending on how high they were when they were hit by the 2B. Considering how minute the differences are in timing in getting the combo right versus wrong, is there a variant that is more reliable, or a way to address this? Is sheer practice and visual confirmation of height really the only option I have? lol.

Edited by Siefer

When you do the AA 2B combo, make sure you're hitting them with [6B] before they touch the ground, and you should get it all the time 100%.

As far as landing the C Bufula after doing a whip followup, I personally watch to see if they're high enough when I hit the sweep, and if they're not, I go into B Coup. I figure I'd rather sacrifice the damage than do something unsafe, as I've lost matches that way.

Actually Jyosua, you won't get it all the time. If the timing of your charge is even slightly off, you'll run into the same problem I outlined above. I assume we're talking about the same combo here.

So basically, there's no "trick" to the combo is what you're saying, and if you're timing is off because of height differences, cut your losses and just do B Coup immediately.

EDIT: Ok, so if you hit them really low, I don't think it's possible to do it at all because they never get high enough for Bufula to connect. If it's low to around head height, I think the normal timing applies (charge as soon as ice hits). If they're any higher than this, you need to delay the charge by a bit, but not too much (a little after they are beginning their descent). I think that's the general gist of it.

EDIT 2: Knowing the timing depending on the height really helps a lot with these combos.

Edited by Siefer

I very rarely miss the C Bufula in the 2B Anti-Air combo, but that may be because I'm used to it.

Now whip followups, I drop a lot, because they highly depend on delaying several parts of the combo depending on positioning and whatnot. In general, you always want to release the charge when they're at about your head height, and then it should connect.

Actually Jyosua, you won't get it all the time. If the timing of your charge is even slightly off, you'll run into the same problem I outlined above. I assume we're talking about the same combo here.

So basically, there's no "trick" to the combo is what you're saying, and if you're timing is off because of height differences, cut your losses and just do B Coup immediately.

EDIT: Ok, so if you hit them really low, I don't think it's possible to do it at all because they never get high enough for Bufula to connect. If it's low to around head height, I think the normal timing applies (charge as soon as ice hits). If they're any higher than this, you need to delay the charge by a bit, but not too much (a little after they are beginning their descent). I think that's the general gist of it.

EDIT 2: Knowing the timing depending on the height really helps a lot with these combos.

the timing is a bit hard to describe, but it is possible to do consistently. you want them to fall onto sweep's hitbox. always charging your 2b (if there's a 2b earlier in your combo) and choosing the right B (as in, 4b/5b/6b, charged or not) is very helpful

in the case of your AA > 2B > 2D, doing AA > 5B > held 2B > 2D > will make doing held 6B > sweep > C bufula much easier

Yes, Jyosua is right, I meant anti-air, not 5AA, my bad.

The next time I see you LK, can you show me the timing? I've gotten more consistent with it by identifying where I hit them with 2B, but if there's an easier way to do it, I would rather learn that.

like i said, you have to time it so that they fall onto the sweep, it's variable depending on what combo youre doing but once you do it a few hundred times it's pretty easy

For anyone having issues with 6B>sweep>c bufula...I personally found that just doing 6B (not fully charged...if at all) as early as possible>sweep>bufula not only always works for me most of the time, but works on pretty much everyone. And of course..you can generally tell if the bufula will miss and you can just opt for throw or finish with Coup instead.

and choosing the right B (as in, 4b/5b/6b, charged or not) is very helpful

in the case of your AA > 2B > 2D, doing AA > 5B > held 2B > 2D > will make doing held 6B > sweep > C bufula much easier

This is also especially important.

Edited by Jourdal

Hi everyone, so I recently started playing P4U and have high interests in improving. I made a post in the beginners section and from what everyone seemed to think; it'd be best for me to find a Mitsuru mentor. Because of transportation issues and my parents being parents, I don't think a real life meet-up is possible at the moment, so maybe online tutoring would be possible (I might be able to start driving soon though, we'll see)? I don't have a headset that works for the PS3 yet, but I'll be more than happy to buy one if anyone could help me pick P4 up. If anyone is willing let me know. I'm in the US (east coast, though I have played BB with a friend from Singapore and there wasn't really any delay) and free time varies (depends on my sleeping habits, but I'll adjust to your free time if I have to).

Besides that though, I would like to know how you pressure with Mitsuru. Perhaps I don't actually understand what pressuring really is. I'll try to ask in a more organized fashion.

Pressuring

• What are common pressure strings?
  • How long do you pressure for?
  • What are you trying to achieve when you're pressuring your opponent?
  • How do you keep the pressure on?

Also, for the 5B> 2AB> B Coup combo, I can do the [5B]> 2AB> B Coup version of it, but not the uncharged one no matter what I do. The computer blocks all the consecutive hits after the 5B if I don't charge it. Is that where the CH in the combo thread's notes come in (sorry, too new I guess)? Another note, to get the charged version to work I kind of charge backwards after hitting 5B (it doesn't get the full motion to go backwards, but slightly?) so that the coup will work, would that be okay in a normal match? Or does anything that works on the training dummy that has block after first hit and recover on work?

I guess, that'll be all for now. Thanks for your time.

Edited by Yuel

1- her pressure is simple but strong. after 5a and 5b she has a lot of options. she can do 5b or 5 (after 5a obv) to frametrap/bait throws, 2ab or 2[ab] for a low/safeish position reset, aoa for an OH (after 5a) 2c for another way to reset pressure from your current range, droit for backdashes and yet another safeish reset. 5a(aaa) are used so your foe doesn't disrupt your rhythm so easily.

2,3- you pressure until you get a hit or guess wrong, really. her pressure is decent at BAITING the foe, so they're not going to want to keep pressing shit or they will eat a 12 inch rapier. if they dont, keep on keeping on.

4- alternate between blockstrings as to not become predictable. bait dp's every so often (stop what youre doing and block for a sec to scout the foe). make unsafe things safe® with droit. experiment, play, and watch videos to see what works when, how it works and what's optimal to do afterwards.

disclaimer: l dont play this char, just watches lots of SHUUTO

5a > sweep > b droit only works on crouch or counter hit

when you're pressuring, you need to remember that you dont HAVE to pressure for X amount of time, your goal is to hit them some how

your pressure should vary depending on the char you're playing against. for example vs labrys you can just do AA AA AA AA all day cause if she dp's you can just dp back, and your AA should be fast enough to hit labrys out of pretty much anything, but vs shadow labrys her dp is so fast that doing that is less reliable. so, it's good to know properties on the characters moves, because mitsuru gets huge rewards when she's correct

some general things

5AA is your standard for pressure, it's pretty safe on block, easy to confirm

2B is your only jump cancellable normal on block, this means if they block it, you can either keep pressuring on the ground, or jump in the air. when you have 50 meter, you can jump cancel with rising jB > omc > jB into a combo, or sweep > SB droit > combo

Sweep is relatively safe on block (-3 or something) but people can hit you if you dont occasionally do a delay A Droit or backstep. depends on character

no one can roll vs you and get away safely if you use AA/sweep properly. 5B and 5C can be rolled, but 5C will catch them if you're spaced properly

Edited by Lord Knight

Okay, thanks guys. I'll notepad these down cause' I still panic too much in a match to do any of the combos I learned and respond appropriately ._. I've only won 59 matches out of a whopping 173, but I'll keep trying. Hopefully I'll be able to find someone to teach me. Oh and what are DPs? There are so many terminology posts around the net, but I either can't find it or it doesn't really seem to apply to P4? Well, perhaps I just don't understand it. Other than that, can someone explain mix-ups to me, I'm still confused on them (and maybe the options Mitsuru has, that'd be nice).

DP is an abbreviation for Dragon Punch, coming from the translation of shoryuken from SF. in general, a dp is a move with startup invulnerability that goes flying up into the air. they make for good reversals but are very unsafe if blocked. in P4A, it refers to a character's furious action (BD), all of which are not safe. all of them have either invulnerability, super armor or are a counter. the only difference is that many of them don't look like a shoryuken. DP is just faster and easier to to say.

I´ve recently started playing P4A and choose Mitsuru and Kanji as my main/sub, but I´ve not undertood yet how does mitsuru charged B attack works in combo, it is used only for the bonus damage or the extra hitstun carry to the end of the combo?

thanks!

I´ve recently started playing P4A and choose Mitsuru and Kanji as my main/sub, but I´ve not undertood yet how does mitsuru charged B attack works in combo, it is used only for the bonus damage or the extra hitstun carry to the end of the combo?

thanks!

Mitsuru's B Coup (the charged B attack) is usually what you want to go for whenever possible. It adds a lot of extra damage and allows for full corner combos if you're near the end of the stage. Not to mention that it gives you good corner carry and puts you in a favorable position, with options for EX Bufula oki or neutral (which is good for mitsuru).

If you're wondering when you can make use of it in combos, you can make it connect anytime after a sweep hits. This is why you mostly only use it on crouching confirms or counterhits (5A CH > Sweep> B Coup). The extra hitstun on crouching opponents allows for sweep (2AB) to connect after 5B. Getting good at confirming when your opponents are standing or crouching makes a big difference, increasing your damage considerably.

As a quick example, if you start a blockstring with 5AA (the first two hits of her auto combo) and you realize that they got hit and are crouching, then you can follow it with 5B > sweep > B Coup. If you're having trouble getting used to the charged inputs (you said you were new to the game) then it would be 5AA > 5B (or 6B, 4B) > 1AB (holding down and back allows for the sweep, while beginning to charge your B Coup) > 6B (pressing forward and B releases the charge and makes the B Coup come out).

Hope this helped a little bit. If I dumbed things down too much, it's just because this stuff can be confusing to new players, and I don't know any more about your skill level than what you mentioned in your post. If you don't know what the numbers mean (5A, 6B , 2AB) they're just the directions you should be pressing during the move. Take a look at your number pad on your keyboard and they're the same. 5 is neutral (no input), 6 is forward, 2 is down, ect.

Again, sorry if I dumbed things down too much. Chances are you knew what I was talking about but it couldn't hurt to go into more detail.

Edited by LegendaryRath

Mitsuru's B Coup (the charged B attack) is usually what you want to go for whenever possible. It adds a lot of extra damage and allows for full corner combos if you're near the end of the stage. Not to mention that it gives you good corner carry and puts you in a favorable position, with options for EX Bufula oki or neutral (which is good for mitsuru).

If you're wondering when you can make use of it in combos, you can make it connect anytime after a sweep hits. This is why you mostly only use it on crouching confirms or counterhits (5A CH > Sweep> B Coup). The extra hitstun on crouching opponents allows for sweep (2AB) to connect after 5B. Getting good at confirming when your opponents are standing or crouching makes a big difference, increasing your damage considerably.

As a quick example, if you start a blockstring with 5AA (the first two hits of her auto combo) and you realize that they got hit and are crouching, then you can follow it with 5B > sweep > B Coup. If you're having trouble getting used to the charged inputs (you said you were new to the game) then it would be 5AA > 5B (or 6B, 4B) > 1AB (holding down and back allows for the sweep, while beginning to charge your B Coup) > 6B (pressing forward and B releases the charge and makes the B Coup come out).

Hope this helped a little bit. If I dumbed things down too much, it's just because this stuff can be confusing to new players, and I don't know any more about your skill level than what you mentioned in your post. If you don't know what the numbers mean (5A, 6B , 2AB) they're just the directions you should be pressing during the move. Take a look at your number pad on your keyboard and they're the same. 5 is neutral (no input), 6 is forward, 2 is down, ect.

Again, sorry if I dumbed things down too much. Chances are you knew what I was talking about but it couldn't hurt to go into more detail.

Thanks for the help, I will try to use it also, but sorry for the confusion, what I meant was when you charge the normals B attacks for example, if I try to

5DD, [4B] > [2B] > 2DD, [4B] > 2AB > C Bufula, [5B] > 2AB > B Coup Droit

Most of time I end missing the first or second 4B because I charge it too much (or maybe my reflex is too slow so and I take to much time to start charging 4B) and the attack will wiff, when I charge (and I´m able to land) the 2nd 4B I can land the full combo, but when I dont charge it I end missing the C bufula, I dont know if it is because I´m making a mistake with the height or if when B is charged the extra hitstun will carry during the combo (like a combo started with a FC) or maybe it is a completely diferent reason and I plain sucks :psyduck:

Thanks again for the help and sorry for the dumb question

edit: btw, sorry if this is idiotic I not even sure that the hitstun the different when you charge or dont charge it ^^'

Edited by Julimano