Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Digital Watches

AC: General Q&A

Yeah, interestingly enough, you get more framerate problems with arcade cabs than with PS2s. Rensen, being a 3-hit lv. 5 move with a fairly complicated visual effect, almost always kills the framerate on cabs with less processing power.

I see, thnx for the replies. I have always wondered what was going on. I thought they were inputting the dash prime, but I guess it's just a framerate problem with the arcade cab.

Anji's fan super FRC suffers the same problem. At least on the PSP version... Anyways, I'm curious; when I see slow moves coming during pressure (dusts and overheads, mainly), should I get in the habit of countering on reaction, or is that a bad idea?

if it's counterable then couterhit them, if not, then don't. if it has a FRC then that's a grey area (mind of your opponent - Sirlion) edit: ohhhh, Axl forum. You mean using Axl's catch counters? Then that would depend. Would you get more off the counter or off the block? etcetcetc

Yeah, I tend to use counters for escaping pressure. Axl has no jab, but counter comes out (as in becomes "open for business," so a hit will trigger it) in 1F. Think of it in those terms. It also matters what level of move your opponent is doing. Since the counter comes out during hitstop, your opponent can have from 4 to 0 frames to act. That is to say, a lv. 5 move will be hit on the "same" frame as it hit you, meaning they can't do anything. A lv. 4 move will give them one frame to move, etc. This gives your opponent options. If they have a DP or something, they can cancel anything lv.4 and below into it. If they have enough frames to jump and faultless, they can block the counter (Which I've not once in my life seen happen, but still). If you want to be TOTALLY sure they can't avoid it, buffer the FB followup ASAP. The followup comes out in less frames, and can be started on frame 2 of the counter. Minimum startup is 11F, meaning it'll beat a lv. 1 jab on the first frame possible. Notably, RCs also take one frame to happen, which means this beats that, too. tl;dr version of above paragraph: Target moves that are high-level, or aren't SCable. Or characters that have no invulnerable moves to cancel into. Countering isn't always your best option though. You may want to jump out instead, or DP, or 2K under whatever they're doing. As a general rule, I'm most prone to do the counter (defensively. There are also a lot of offensive uses for it) when I don't think I'll have enough time to do anything else, or when I know I can get a juicy CH for wallbounce off of it. EDIT: Oh, and if you're talking about the 214P one, just do something else. That thing is garbage.

It has a few uses. Against like two or three characters. Now, the 214K counter, that one's useless.

It has a few uses. Against like two or three characters. Now, the 214K counter, that one's useless.

Except when you accidentally mash out of stagger with it just in time to catch a sweep, then take credit for being PSYCHIC! :yaaay:

Just a bit curious, but when you guys do 5K after a 6HS in a blockstring, do you catch a lot of jump-out attempts with it? People I play with will always get hit by this 5K in midair, which leads to me taking almost 50% of their life. Was just wondering if this is common with you guys :V EDIT: Also, Running Rashoushen, what exactly is this, input wise?

Just a bit curious, but when you guys do 5K after a 6HS in a blockstring, do you catch a lot of jump-out attempts with it? People I play with will always get hit by this 5K in midair, which leads to me taking almost 50% of their life. Was just wondering if this is common with you guys :V

5K to catch jumps is legit, but I also get a lot of real blockstrings out of 6H->5K link. Really, the smartest players aren't going to try to jump after a non-meaty 6H, since that's kind of the end of your real blockstring. The thing to really worry about after 6H is throws, which is why it's good to occasionally throw a DP in there after it.

EDIT: Also, Running Rashoushen, what exactly is this, input wise?

[4], 66H

How do you do Axl( well any chara) air throw. I cant seem to do it. Its not just with him but Its vary hard for me to do it with Axl. How should I practis this

In general, is it better to use 2S(2) and 6K(2) once each then air combo? Or is it worth it to throw in the extra 2S and 6K (like against Pot if you got him very low?)

Like, If you catch your opponent very low with 2S(2), is it better to throw out 6K(1) > 2S > air combo?

How do you do Axl( well any chara) air throw. I cant seem to do it. Its not just with him but Its vary hard for me to do it with Axl. How should I practis this

Stole this from the AC guide:

"Air throws are also similar to basic throws except they are performed in the air (duh!). When near an opponent that is not in block-stun, hit-stun, simply press 6H or 4H to air throw them. Keep in mind that you cannot air throw someone using diagonal directions. You must press 6 or 4 (forward or backwards).

Air throws often give people trouble because they are not quite as easy to space as ground throws. The ideal way to air throw someone is to be slightly below them and rising up to meet them. Typically if you are above the other person, you will not be able to throw before they do.

Another typical use for air throws is throwing people out of techs or bursts, neither of which are throw invincible. Doing so usually requires you to bait out the escape attempt and punish it."

What I would do is go into training mode, set the CPU to jump, and then jump after you see the CPU jump and 6H/4H.

In general, is it better to use 2S(2) and 6K(2) once each then air combo? Or is it worth it to throw in the extra 2S and 6K (like against Pot if you got him very low?)

Like, If you catch your opponent very low with 2S(2), is it better to throw out 6K(1) > 2S > air combo?

This is a deicision you have to make during your combo, based on what you want (damage/knockdown/both where applicable) and what the optimal combo is for what you want, based on: how you started the combo, where you started the combo, the hitbox and gravity of the character you're combo'ing.

Like, if you do 5K,3P,2D, rensen frc, (dash) 6K,2S on May and you want knockdown, you likely won't get it unless you 623H right after the first 2S.. but if you want extra damage and don't mind sacrifcing knockdown, you could probably instead do the same starter (5K,3P,2D, rensen frc), but follow with dash up (cl5S)2S,6K1,2S sjc jHjD 63214S

If you are midscreen and get an anti air 2S, if you have to proper distance, the meter, and height, to convert that to a b loop with like, 2S sjc jD j623D (air dash jD) j623H, land 2S jD j623H, ender..

You shouldn't do any extra chains.. but if you don't have meter or can't make the distance for corner loop, a few extra chains will still let you get a knockdown from anti air combo to 623H.

This is a deicision you have to make during your combo, based on what you want (damage/knockdown/both where applicable) and what the optimal combo is for what you want, based on: how you started the combo, where you started the combo, the hitbox and gravity of the character you're combo'ing.
It's almost always better to get as few 2S/6Ks in as possible. If you can avoid the 6K entirely, do it. Also, pro tip: You almost never will have to do more than one 5P or 6K, and one 2S. If you are, you're probably doing it wrong.

HOWEVER: I use multiple 2S/6Ks to bait techs.

hey

I 'd like to know if there is a way to make the 63214hs going more far?

I mean, when you run and do the move,he jumpe and land at a K distance.Can he go more far?

BBQ's post just went right over my head. Why are you suggesting fewer 2S and 6K? Proration? I finally got GGAC in a format that supports my stick, and finally did axl's B-loop correctly a few times, but I don't know how much playing that game at 30 fps in practice will help me at the arcade.

BBQ's post just went right over my head. Why are you suggesting fewer 2S and 6K? Proration? I finally got GGAC in a format that supports my stick, and finally did axl's B-loop correctly a few times, but I don't know how much playing that game at 30 fps in practice will help me at the arcade.

It will be about as helpful as playing GG in any scenario in which time is moving at half-speed. Like when people are high, which I know you never are.

At the very least, you can find out gatlings and inputs just fine, but everything else will be screwy.

Buy a PS2, or mod your stick for Wii.

As far as I know there's no explicit proration on 2S or 6K. I suggest less 2S and 6K because of guardbar scaling. Simply put, every hit in a combo takes off some of the guardbar that's right under the lifebar. That's how damage gets scaled. For exact values of how much you're getting scaled and how much guardbar each attack is eating, check frame data/guides, but the general rule is: Less unnecessary hits = more damage.

You'll note that even though Axl Bomber has 90% forced proration on it, it still is one of the best moves for starting a combo with damage-wise. This is because the bombers themselves, along with other heavy-hitting moves like j.H and j.D, are doing most of the damage in the combo. Having them come BEFORE the guardbar-based damage scaling starts to kick in does a bunch of damage by itself. It's also why MAX damage combos will always start with Kokuugeki.

2S and 6K take off 9 guardbar points (Starting at 0, the guardbar goes from -128 to 128) each, almost as much as a bomber, which takes of 10 and is eating the guardbar more than most things in your combo. They also do negligible damage, taking about 40 life (Less even at normal guardbar, since the second hit is already prorated after the first), so they should be used as sparingly as possible.

Another important thing that you should take away from this is how absurdly good it is to get someone to block a bunch of hits and then eat a combo. All damage that happens before the guardbar hits 0 is unscaled (except by explicit proration and guts scaling). So let's say it's the start of the round, and after some dodging and meandering, you get them to block a bomber and a K near the corner. This gives them +26 (20 for the bomber, 6 for the 5K) guardbar. Then you catch them jumping out of the corner with a 2S. 2S does a full 40 damage, and takes 9 (5, then 4) of that guardbar. j.D takes 7 guardbar and does 44 damage (Again, not scaled yet, because the guardbar's still positive.) Then the bomber does 60 damage and takes the remaining 10 off your opponent's guardbar, putting them back at 0.

Now, even taking into consideration the 90% forced proration on Axl Bomber (Forced proration means it happens even if you didn't start the combo with the move), you now have 144 damage on them, plus whatever the rest of your combo would do if you STARTED the combo with it, which means with optimized reps, and depending on the character, you're probably going to break 300, if not 350 damage (Remember that GG lifebars have 420 health total) and still get whatever setup you want (Full knockdown from rensen-2, some extra taps into a tech trap, whatever). This is just an example, but it's not that hard to get a little guardbar up if you have your opponent blocking, but it nets you a TON of extra damage, even for that little bit of guardbar. (Remember, the thing goes up to +128, so +26 is hardly anything)

As Axl I'm having trouble with throws/throw teching. How do I make sure Rashousen doesn't come out (as I'm holding back to block, it charges for Rashousen already)? Also, lots of times when I try to tech throws, 5HS will come out and then my opponent throws my ass ._.

Is it still possible to do FD throw option selects? Back in the day I would do air throws with back and then plink S+HS, but that gives gold ring now. Can it be done with K+HS maybe?

Sorry, I've been gone a bit.

Anyway, no, you can't prevent Rashousen from coming out instead of throw. I still get that sometimes myself. It may be worthwhile to OS every forward throw as 6S+H (Which I often do anyway) because rensen is less punishable than Rashousen (And will win the input check), as is c.S.

And no, you can't option select throws with FD. You can option select airthrows by hitting [4]D+[H]~K, which will airthrow if you're in range, and j.D->FDC if you aren't, but the timing is pretty hard and it's only marginally useful.

Hello, all!

I just purchased Guilty Gear AC+R three days ago, and I finally decided on making Axl Low my main. The thing is though, I haven't a clue as to where I should start with learning him, so if someone could give me a little advice it would be much appreciated.

I also have a few questions:

Is Axl in any way a zoner and/or can he fight at long-range without much of a problem?

Are his chains anything like Lambda-11/Nu-13's Drive in that they're used to limit/restrict the opponents movement options and apply pressure from a distance?

Does Axl have a hard time getting a proper combo in? (I ask that because some of his Normals don't seem to link together like other characters do. So is it the above or am I just doing something wrong?)

What's the number one thing I should know about using Axl?

And what's the first thing I should practice while using him?

Here's a post that Watches made about a lot of your questions, although I'm not entirely sure as towards whether all of it applies towards +R or not. Still seems like rather helpful advice, as per usual of him.

And yes, as Honnou once confirmed, Axl can indeed be played as zoning/ spacing Character (Although he specializes even larger within anti - air), and his chains can sort of kind of act like v - 13/A - 11 drives.