Sign in to follow this  
Hideki

[GGAC] Baiken - short Q&A Thread (merged)

Thanks for the assistance :3 also I can't seem to find this anywhere but when using an arcade stick, is it more about wrist movement, or forearm movement? I've also tried multiple ways to hold the joystick but they hurt me fingers, and my fingers are red :(

Edited by BlankHearts

Moved these posts over to the Q&A thread

BlankHearts, some motions on stick absolutely must be done with the forearm instead of the wrist. Most of it can be done with the wrist, but i think it will probably get you better results if you do a strong portion of it with the forearm. It takes more energy to do, so it feels awkward at first, but keep practicing it. There are many ways to hold an arcade stick, but the right way is the way that you are comfortable with. Also remember that you will be switching between grips to do certain motions, it's natural. Some of the links i posted has another user in the same situation as you, with some good advice from Fujiwara and Star and myself. Check it out !

Thanks so much for the assistance, I am reading those threads as I write. :) Hmm, I'm not sure if its a problem with my inputs or the JLF sanwa joystick I ordered and installed, but when I do diagonal inputs for jumping, I noticed that it always registers up, left or right before the diagonal input itself. In fact, when I ordered my sanwa JLF joystick, it didn't come with the metal plate or nuts for the screws. :| Hopefully I wasn't swindled.

Edited by BlankHearts

Ok so I just started actually playing this game yesterday & am familiar with certain things such as the engine & whatnot and am currently practicing on the 360/PS3 version of GGXXAC, I'm curious as to whether it is worth it on invest time learning her combos now or to wait for +R to come out because some things seem significantly different.

since +R just got officially delayed, i'd say just go for it now. the most important thing to learn for baiken combos anyway is her frcs, and the crucial ones all have the same timing in +R. also, her basic combo stuff in +R is really easy to adjust to based on what i've played on the vita version.

since +R just got officially delayed, i'd say just go for it now. the most important thing to learn for baiken combos anyway is her frcs, and the crucial ones all have the same timing in +R. also, her basic combo stuff in +R is really easy to adjust to based on what i've played on the vita version.

Ok gonna start practicing now, thanks for the reply.

hello im new here just want to know what are the pressure strings baiken uses because in the "[GGAC] Baiken Guide: Read this first!"

the keeping the pressure section it says "to be continue"

here are your very basic options while dashing on the ground

with 5P

5P > Tick Throw / 6K option select (pres 6HS+K together)

5P > 2K > combo

5P > Youzansen

5P > c.5S > Youzansen

5P > c.5S > 2D

with f.S

f.5S > j.D (lowest to the ground possible, on standing opponent only)

f.5S > 2S > 236K (on crouching opponent only)

If you have them blocking a tatami and can safely airdash on them, Baiken has relatively good mixup here too.

j.SPK land grab

j.SPKD

j.SPK land 2K

you can vary the air string quite a bit to confuse the opponent and make it hard to guess when you will land.

Hope that helps !

Edited by kaeru

As long as they are blocking you in the air there's a lot of buttons you can press that look like pretty much anything but changes what happens.

When you eventually land they are disciplined to block or mash.

Edited by Star-Demon

here are your very basic options while dashing on the ground

with 5P

5P > Tick Throw / 6K option select (pres 6HS+K together)

5P > 2K > combo

5P > Youzansen

5P > c.5S > Youzansen

5P > c.5S > 2D

with f.S

f.5S > j.D (lowest to the ground possible, on standing opponent only)

f.5S > 2S > 236K (on crouching opponent only)

If you have them blocking a tatami and can safely airdash on them, Baiken has relatively good mixup here too.

j.SPK land grab

j.SPKD

j.SPK land 2K

you can vary the air string quite a bit to confuse the opponent and make it hard to guess when you will land.

Hope that helps !

in the air you can vary and extend your blockstring to confuse your opponent

thanks i really need this this.

quick questions about Suzuran: If you have 1pt of health, would you die while blocking from Suzuran? Basically would you take chip damage and if so would you die from it in that situation?

And would Suzuran block hits that are unblockable in priority like Zappa's unblockable dog bite, ABA's 41236K and the 3rd hit of her normal super (I think these are the only ones but I could've forgotten the rest, and I don't mean unblockables that are high/low for an obvious reason)

Suzuran preforms exactly like a regular standing guard, so yes, you can be KO'd by chip and unblockables will still go through it.

I can't seem to pull this move off:

gatling -> tatami>[sj]j.PD

After the tatami, the dummy recovers before sj. p will hit them, sometimes it even seems like the dummy is too far for sj.p to even hit(I'm practicing this in the corner btw.) The gatling I'm doing is 5P>2K>5S>5HS. Will the combo work with this gatling? I've tried doing it with just gatling 5S>5HS and that seems to work, but adding any other gatling before just causes the dummy recover before sj.p hits.

Yes, you're supposed to be close to hit the sj.P.

Your gattling pushes the dummy too far, and unless you FRC the Tatami sj.P won't hit.

Try: c.5S > 2D > Tatami

Yes, you're supposed to be close to hit the sj.P.

Your gattling pushes the dummy too far, and unless you FRC the Tatami sj.P won't hit.

Try: c.5S > 2D > Tatami

ah I was thinking that. I was wondering why the guide was talking about not having the tension to follow up with the tatami combo when using 5P>2K>5S>5HS. Is tatami safe? Because it doesn't seem like you can really hit confirm c. 5S > 2D, unless I'm mistaken.

you should be able to still get the sj.P(S)D if you do something like 2K > c.5S > 2D > 236K. It's a bit easier to hitconfirm. You can swap 2K with 5P. Also remember that very often (but not always) you will be performing the blockstring from a dash which carries a bit of forward momentum.

you should be able to still get the sj.P(S)D if you do something like 2K > c.5S > 2D > 236K. It's a bit easier to hitconfirm. You can swap 2K with 5P. Also remember that very often (but not always) you will be performing the blockstring from a dash which carries a bit of forward momentum.

this seems to solve it. doing the same gatling you mentioned without dash beforehand causes Baiken to be too far away fro sj.P to hit after. With the dash I can actually do the whole gatling I mentioned earlier(although it isn't as successful as just doing 2K > c.5S > 2D) So I guess if I'm not dashing in I'm stuck doing c.5S > 2D for a blockstring/hit confirm?

That's about right.

Also, keep in mind you can actually do c.5S from further away if you hit with 5P or 5K or 2K first, since you reach out and touch the opponent you can get a c.5S from distances where if you just did it raw it would give you a f.5S instead (which doesn't gatling into 2D). I'm only mentioning this for when you DO want to spend tension on a tatami FRC. I also suggest you look at the blockstrings just a few posts above, it might give you some ideas on what to do when you don't have tension.

That's about right.

Also, keep in mind you can actually do c.5S from further away if you hit with 5P or 5K or 2K first, since you reach out and touch the opponent you can get a c.5S from distances where if you just did it raw it would give you a f.5S instead (which doesn't gatling into 2D). I'm only mentioning this for when you DO want to spend tension on a tatami FRC. I also suggest you look at the blockstrings just a few posts above, it might give you some ideas on what to do when you don't have tension.

Thanks for the advice. Are there any video's available of some top level baikens? It seems that the AC video thread has been replaced with the +R video thread.

Thanks for the advice. Are there any video's available of some top level baikens? It seems that the AC video thread has been replaced with the +R video thread.

Actually the AC video thread is still accessible. At the top of the Baiken subforum you'll notice it says Archive. If you go there you can find the AC video thread (it was called MEDIA). It didn't have a very well organized first post, but you may still find some vids in the pages.

Actually the AC video thread is still accessible. At the top of the Baiken subforum you'll notice it says Archive. If you go there you can find the AC video thread (it was called MEDIA). It didn't have a very well organized first post, but you may still find some vids in the pages.

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks!

In terms of Baiken's AA combos, what are her options after an AA 6P? The guide doesn't seem to mention AA combos at all.

In AC, usually just 6P (2) jc j.PSD. If you want to burn tension and add damage, you can do: 6P (2) jc j.PSD FRC air dash j.SD. Or 6P (2) jc j.PSD FRC air dash j.tatami and then pick up from the tatami relaunch (which needs a corner).

For maximizing tensionless damage, you can do something like 6P (2) jc j.PK jc dj.SPK xx yzn. But you should typically only do that one if you think it's going to kill, since the knockdown off of a low D is much better.

how do you pull off this combo?

gatling -> tatami FRC>j.D>ad j.SD FRC j.tatami>j.SD>ad j.SD (medium/heavy include [])

Practiced on Ky

I can seem to get all the way to the last ad j.SD. Once I get to this point either S whiffs or S will connect, but the dummy will recover before D can even get off. I thought this might've been because I was using sj rather than just a regular jump after tatami because it seemed like sj'ing made it more likely that the first ad j.SD would connect and not whiff. I've tried doing it just with normal jumpting and it's the same deal. I've actually gotten it off once before, but the dummy was dizzied during the last ad j.SD so I assume it was because of that.(is there any way to turn off dizzy anyway?) Is there a video or something that demonstrates this combo?

personally, i'd say you should consider practicing that combo on a character that's easier to perform it on, like venom or testament (if you haven't already). that way when you practice it on ky, who can be a bit tougher to dustloop consistently, you may have a better understanding of where you need to be to make the magic happen. make sure you're somewhat close after the air tatami relaunch, because otherwise you'll simply be too far out to go back in for the final ad j.SD. eventually, you'll be able to tell if the combo's gonna fall apart, so i sometimes compensate with an ad j.PD to try to hold it together (at the cost of overall combo damage). it's definitely better to be able to do the combo the right way every time though!

if you're looking for footage of the combo, i'm sure you can find it in just about any high-level match, since it's a very common corner loop.

Sign in to follow this