Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zeth07

[CP] Azrael - Gameplay Discussion (Pre-Console Release)

That's not what I meant by that.

What I meant is to allow Azrael to absorb the projectile oki while I block the DP, from then I'd just wait for him to recover from Growler and use either a meaty mix-up or do an empty jump since there's nothing he can do about it until after he recovers from Growler. However, according to Antiquarian, you can supposedly "hold" Growler indefinitely (like Yukiko's Dia) so it will be tough to time a meaty/empty jump if there's not a set amount of time in which Azrael recovers from Growler.

Edit: In case that you're not fully understanding what I mean by this, I'll use an example using Yukikaze.

Yukikaze can be used to escape projectile oki in the corner. So Yukikaze activates and you super jump to dodge it. You then run up to Jin/Hakumen, wait until their invincibility wears off and use a meaty/empty jump to take advantage of their inability to do a damn thing until they recover from Yukikaze.

That's exactly what I mean by letting Azrael absorb projectile oki. Let him do it and wait for his I-frames to wear off so that you can use a meaty/empty jump.

"Why would you allow Azrael to absorb the projectile oki?" you might ask.

Projectile oki has three primary functions:

1) To prevent roll out attempts

2) To prevent mashing

3) To gain a bit of frame advantage.

If he's gonna use Growler to absorb the projectile oki, then that same oki has served 2 out of its 3 primary functions. Now you just have to time your attacks to exploit the brief time frame when his I-frames wear off.

That's a cool explanation and all, but an example was already given where Azrael absorbed Hazama's chains and still got CH afterwards when he came flying in.

So even if Azrael absorbs a projectile, if he continues to hold Growler AFTER absorbing it you can hit him out of it. There's no reason for you to not be able to do that since he doesn't retain invincibility AFTER he is done absorbing it (the absorbing animation).

I would assume if he doesn't continue to hold it after absorbing the projectile he can at least block, but worst case scenario for him is he is still completely punishable after absorbing if the opponent can move freely after the projectile itself, which again we've already discussed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=562F2J27fQA#t=323s

The amount of time that you get to punish Growler after it absorbs a projectile seems pretty miniscule. If he really is in a CH state after absorbing a projectile then great, a well-timed meaty will fuck his shit up, even if the time frame that you're given to punish is ridiculously small lol. That's good to know that he's only invulnerable WHILE he absorbs a projectile and if he continues to hold Growler then he's in CH state.

Punishing and exploiting Growler when used as an anti-oki tool just got a lot easier then.

That's pretty lol.

Also. Sentinel Dump combos look so amazing it's insane.

"Bitch I'm gonna sit on you, then OTG all day."

Do you guys think Growler Field would completely nullify Amane's drill setups? You know, the one that looks like an Eddie drill of doom. I just haven't seen any Azraels do it yet.

EDIT: Well it looks like he can at least backdash through it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bYliLuprAy0#t=197s

Do you guys think Growler Field would completely nullify Amane's drill setups? You know, the one that looks like an Eddie drill of doom. I just haven't seen any Azraels do it yet.

If that's Azrael's "DP" I have a strong suspicion that it doesn't block/negate Lows, seeing as most people with stuff like that work that way (Tager's Voltic Charger, Litchi's easy-mode guardmove), would appreciate confirmation on that if someone can. I dunno if Amane's stuff goes Low or not though.

If that's Azrael's "DP" I have a strong suspicion that it doesn't block/negate Lows, seeing as most people with stuff like that work that way (Tager's Voltic Charger, Litchi's easy-mode guardmove), would appreciate confirmation on that if someone can. I dunno if Amane's stuff goes Low or not though.

Fairly certain it's not a low. It seems like people block it standing up a lot.

Actually I've seen Growler throwing back Noel's 3C so high/low shouldn't matter. As for the drills, I'm almost certain that it should work, unless they're not projectiles. Hard to believe they're not but no confirmation on that one.

Hakumen can cut some of noels normals because they are hybrid projectiles, so I'm certain anything Hakumen can cut, Azrael can absorb.

A more accurate take would be that Tager's Voltec Charge is still vunerable to 3c, even though it absorbs projectile property moves.

Amane's drills are projectiles and only lvl3 drill hits low, so you SHOULD be able to absorb the drill.

Dont think its a good idea though as Amane will always be there trying for follow up with 6D/combo/whatever..

Depends on the situation. I think *Theory Fighter* That the Amane matchup is going to be the most momentum based matchup in the game (Or at least right up there)

So you either die in 2 combos. Or we resort to using Growler against Lvl 3 Drills. Something that really sounds bad.

Just sayin', the first video of Azrael's Astral is dead so you should exchange the link in the first post with this one: http://youtu.be/syn-rxxpNMA?t=4m33s

Also, it's name is Patriot Apocalypse and I added an image of it into the imgur album if someone wants to look at it for some reason: http://imgur.com/a/IyGhu

The only move that's still missing is 2D because Tahichi doesn't seem to like it. If any of you see it in an HD video, tell me so I can add it and finally complete that album.

Oh now i know how scud works after watching his fight vs hakumen in that same vid. Scud punishment refreshes both weakpoints after your opponent techs, as long as azrael is still glowing. So it doesn't reapply any WP when you're comboing, but after you finish the combo and your opponent techs (or any knockdown causing your opponent to tech), both WPs will be reapplied automatically

Oh now i know how scud works after watching his fight vs hakumen in that same vid. Scud punishment refreshes both weakpoints after your opponent techs, as long as azrael is still glowing. So it doesn't reapply any WP when you're comboing, but after you finish the combo and your opponent techs (or any knockdown causing your opponent to tech), both WPs will be reapplied automatically

Yea, that's why they mention needing to use Overdrive if you want to do certain combos.

EDIT: Adjusted the wording in the descriptions anyway so that no one will get confused.

Someone hurry up and make Zeth Azrael mod. We need some Representation. Someone to spread the words of the Gomi Kuzu around DL.

Also. Hornet Bunker. Is this move getting no love at all?

Also. I "Revised" The Pro's / Con's section. Add it if you want. :toot: Just got bored.

Pros/Strengths:

Large amount of health.

Does solid damage on average.

Very good damage upon hitting a weakpoint.

Has a great back dash.

Has a decent DP (214B - Growler Field), that can also absorb projectiles and gains one of his own in return (up to 3).

Valiant Charger combos give incredible corner carry and good damage.

Cons/Weaknesses:

Has combos that involve links, if execution is a problem for you.

Big damage combos require you to have weakpoints already applied in most cases.

His playstyle naturally brings a few potential bad matchups (Tao, Hazama, Tager etc).

Teleport-type movement could take some getting used to when you're just starting out.

Also. Hornet Bunker. Is this move getting no love at all?

No, because Az players are too busy doing overheads that can be mashed out against or thrown. I have yet to see any Azrael do a combo off of 2D/5D stagger, mainly because they never throw those moves out ever. 3D pretty gdlk imo cos it's faster than 6D, looks like 6D, and ground-bounces on CH (which will happen ??% of the time because the opponent is mashing thinking that it's 6D).

Someone hurry up and make Zeth Azrael mod. We need some Representation.

I wasn't aware until now that we didn't have a mod yet. In that case, I second that :P

For scud punishment, it seems to rarely be used. Hopefully people find some practical uses for it in combos.

Interesting combo extensions here: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19573412

His damage is absurd, especially when he has a weak point on you. I can only imagine how scary he's going to be 2 months from now when you have 2 WP on you.

Also, I finally like the Sector 7 theme song.

Lovin that midscreen combo ending with BHS. It's probably better to just end by applying a weak point, unless you need the damage to kill. Still, that was badass.