Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zeth07

[CP] Azrael - Gameplay Discussion (Pre-Console Release)

EX Slayer. If you think otherwise, go play EX Slayer right now and see how wrong you are. Okay, so maybe EX Slayer has a different dash and his rekkas are way more complex, but you get the picture. Azrael is basically streamlined Slayer but with a fuckton more gatlings and rekkas (which is why I go for the EX slayer comparison rather than the normal one).

Oh, also, Azrael is basically a lot of ArcSys fighting games (save for Battle Fantasia) combined into one character. He has homing jump with Hornet, boost dash with Valiant, both Valiant and Hornet themselves are kind of shout-outs to AoA's from P4U.

I added an FAQ section to the Character Overview thread, this way we will hopefully avoid any repeat questions that may come up. This will also help in knowing if people actually read the thread, that way I won't feel bad for getting "angry" when they don't.

I tried to put in questions that aren't really directly answered by the overview itself. Something like "What kind of playstyle does Azrael have?", is already answered in the overview so there's no reason to really ask that since it was something that was supposed to be read already, just as an example.

Anyone can still ask questions in this thread, but like I always say please take the time to read the resources of information provided before doing so. This isn't directed at anyone, just generally speaking. If something comes up a lot or if I missed a question worth including in the FAQ it will be added.

Thanks

Saki, or at least that's what was given whenever the videos of him appeared.

I know it's kinda hard for you guys to do it, but if you just hover over the Profile link you can see the # for their profile so you could technically look and try to find someone with the same number (if you REALLY wanted to try and figure it out by yourself at least).

Thanks. I'm usually pretty good at finding out these things but I haven't actually seen anything from this guy. He also has like two videos in the video thread.

This guy... he's pretty cool.

Since I brought this up on twitter and don't think I ever mentioned it here I'll post up about it now.

We typically only ever see 5C>BHS for the unblockable, but Azrael has quite a few other moves that are special cancelable and are in his typical blockstrings/pokes. So as you can expect, any of those attacks into BHS works as an unblockable setup.

2B / 5B / 5BB / 5C > BHS are frame tight even on IB. 5A / 2A are not, so they could technically reversal out if they were really good I guess. They can of course Counter Assault / Burst out of the initial attack as we all probably know by now but it is still good to know that there are other moves you can go into the setup from.

From what I recall, no one ever did BHS unblockable off of any of the other moves, but I saw Kaqn do it off 5BB which confirmed what I figured originally. Then when someone asked about on IB I checked it out further just to make sure.

I suspected it was not only from 5C we could get a unblockable BHS out of it. The startup is 11F at best, and since most of Azrael's normal have around 16F blockstun then even on IB its super tight. I figure most people do it off 5C because they usually only do unblockable BHS after Scud Punishment stagger and don't wanna risk being out of range. Still, nice to get some confirmation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WG70f2r3ZI

There you guys go. This guy is a secret Noel combo god and he seems to play Azrael now. He uploaded something else for him recently too. So heres a good combo video. Think it's safe to say to expect more content from him

This character is dumb

Triple dive kick combos... yep it's a wrap... this character is too manly for Blazblue. :v:

What's up with that funky red shadow that Azrael gets in the latter half of the video? Some kind of bug?

You're probably referring to Scud's after-effect.

It's pretty much an install which needs to hit the opponent, the aura lets you know for how long it is active.

What's up with that funky red shadow that Azrael gets in the latter half of the video? Some kind of bug?

It is basically a timer for Scud Punishment's marks. As long the aura remains, they will keep coming back each time they're used. Plus it looks ridiculously badass.

Edit: lol ninjad

Oh, I see. I thought he only has the OD for such shenanigans, since having it on a separate move would be kinda redundant. Oh well, back to lurking :v:

Oh, I see. I thought he only has the OD for such shenanigans, since having it on a separate move would be kinda redundant. Oh well, back to lurking :v:

OD makes it so the weakpoint is reapplied immediately after use, thus you could use multiple attacks that use the same weakpoint within the same combo, but realize most (I think all) of those attacks have SMP so you can't just do multiples of the same attacks.

Scud Punishment on the other hand immediately applies both weakpoints, then for the next ~20 secs or so both weakpoints will be reapplied AFTER the combo has ended.

When combined together the combos are obviously even stronger.

Yea I'm pretty sure all of his d's have smp. But that is some SERIOUS use of OD/MC with Azrael, maybe we could see more Azrael players make use of it in their matches. Now that we can see it can significantly increase his damage output.

It may be starter dependent, it may be character dependent but still:

That video is disgusting. I had no idea you could combo off of Scud Punishment.

I really want to see the P1/P2 values for Scud. If the P2 is good enough as well as the hitstun (it has like 3-second crumple in OD), it could be used for hella sick confirms a la Hazama (i.e. 1 or 2 normals > super > follow-up combo).

snip

It may be indirect, it may be my old account, nevertheless, fucking called it.

In regards to the video, it answered pretty much every question I had and more. OD valiant into j.D combo routes, lower weakpoint OD combo routes, SMP resets, extended valiant wallstick combos, and of course MAXIMUM DUMPING.

I wanted to point something out in the video that I thought was interesting. During the later half of the video there is a combo where he has the opponent tech 2C because of SMP at the "end" of part of a Valiant Charger combo.

The opponent is then "reset", and he goes into 5D or 3D combos, but the interesting thing is that the Valiant Charger effect is still somehow active, even though it is an entirely different combo.

http://youtu.be/-WG70f2r3ZI?t=3m19s

You can see after the initial combo, he does 5D > 2B > [6] (here you see the Valiant Charger effect again) > etc. He also does it again to show a combo off 3D from that setup but follows up with more 5Cs.

So I can't really explain exactly why that works, I can only assume the effect is "stored" for a short period of time regardless if it's within the same combo.

Looking at the frame data, I'm guessing the "101T" refers to the "duration" in which Valiant Charger is applied since all the moves in-between are being canceled from it and the time is only used up while he's actually using it. Nothing else in the frame data really explains how Valiant Charger actually works in detail, at least compared to other moves which I find kind of strange.

Just like we were told you can do up to 5 Valiant Chargers within the combos, yet it isn't like the frame data specifically puts a number of moves on it. And the "Love Phantom" combo has wayyyy more than 5 Valiant Chargers in it as well.

That's my guess at least.

Don't forget that the love phantom video has part of the footage set on loop, but yeah, even just the whole valiant > dash 5A troll combo was enough to make me realize the whole "you can only do 5 follow-ups" bit was a farce.

Don't forget that the love phantom video has part of the footage set on loop, but yeah, even just the whole valiant > dash 5A troll combo was enough to make me realize the whole "you can only do 5 follow-ups" bit was a farce.

Yea that's true. I'd still like to understand it better since the frame data sure doesn't help in this case.

Anyone figure out what Unlimited Azeral's Buff DD does yet? It's not on the main page, and searching the thread for "unlimited" did not help.

Anyone figure out what Unlimited Azeral's Buff DD does yet? It's not on the main page, and searching the thread for "unlimited" did not help.

Its more than likely another Hokuto no Ken reference, as in that game Kenshiro and Raoh had supers that gave them 7 parries to use (activated like Third Strike parries) that teleported them behind the opponent and seeing as Azrael already has dat Raoh like aura, boost mechanics and is buff as heck it makes sense that that is the function of the buff DD.

I could be wrong, but I'm willing to take an educated guess.