Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zeth07

[CP] Azrael - Gameplay Discussion (Pre-Console Release)

Fenrich is a beast. And to think, we would never have seen his Azrael if his Jin wasn't 18th dan (the stream guys wanted the two players to be of similar dan).

He has two characters in the top 30 and he's currently the #1 Azrael, who he's subbing. That's impressive.

Fenrich is a beast. And to think, we would never have seen his Azrael if his Jin wasn't 18th dan (the stream guys wanted the two players to be of similar dan).

He has two characters in the top 30 and he's currently the #1 Azrael, who he's subbing. That's impressive.

Zekuso is the same way (mains Valkenhayn). At one point he was #1 Azrael when at the time we didn't even see/have any videos of him using Azrael.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm21685376

@9:47

That's interesting. I'm guessing that 2B into TC(L) 236D would have worked in that situation?

He couldn't because the weakpoint wasn't applied at the start. If he didn't RC it all he would've got was the knockdown. He was smart enough to RC after the weakpoint hit and went into 5A>TC which missed, when he probably could have just done 5A>5B>Aerial>More stuff. I'm guessing the 5A>TC whiffed just because of the timing and hitboxes, he probably needed to delay it slightly.

More than likely going into an aerial alone would've killed since weakpoint j.D does good damage by itself. But going even further since he just applied the weakpoint he could've extended the combo after the j.D or went right into BHS after it if he needed/wanted to.

Him having the presence of mind to RC into that combo was really good, but then trying to do that part of a combo when he probably could've kept it simple is kinda weird. I guess he was just trying to do a cool looking combo to kill.

I knew the weakpoint wasn't applied. The whole reason i said it was interesting was because he rc'd at that point to stop the knockdown and try to continue. I was wondering if 2B would be fast enough after the RC to continue with what he was attempting.

I was wondering if 2B would be fast enough after the RC to continue with what he was attempting.

I'm guessing no. I mean, maybe, but we're just inferring until we can try it for ourselves.

Has no one realized that Azrael is Yujiro Hanma from Baki the grappler? The way the describe Azrael's attitude about fighting nearly 100% matches Hanma's. Azrael's dp stance thing is the same as Hanma's. Azael's axe kick is pretty much the same as Hanma's. Azrael of course has some tweaks but one an tell that he is clearly some sort of inspiration from Yujiro Hanma.

A few questions about Az.

After Az does ground rekkas, they usually go for sj.2D or 3D to beat rolls. But why 3D? It doesn't look like it catches back rolls, but does it? If it does, is 3D better to use against people who have DP's. The sj.2D gives you more frame advantage to play with so i don't see why you wouldn't use that

3C (RC) j.A 5B 2C i assume works either if they get hit by the 3C or the j.A?

It's not that 3D has a large attacking hitbox, though it does don't get me wrong, so much as it is characters have huge hitboxes while rolling. I agree, I like sj.2D better just cos you can play high-low and super jumping at somebody will probably make every scrub just want to DP on instinct. 3D is good though if you want to get people to mash on wake-up.

3C (RC) j.A 5B ~ should work regardless of which one hits first. 3C would launch, j.A would juggle, land really fast, 5B. j.A does 14 frames of hitstun on ground hit, plus assuming that you hit a croucher, that's an extra 2 frames of hitstun. As long as it doesn't take more than 7 frames to land from the 3C jump trajectory after that, 5B should connect.

@NumeroGaijin, please take character love/influence/etc-related discussion to the Azrael group.

Azrael is a pretty generic gachimuchi gorilla, his "inspirations" are many, too many to attribute to one character, no matter how much your perspective argues otherwise.

Can Azrael absorb Jin's drives similar to how Hakumen can cut them and create a zoid?

since they could be classified as projectiles (somehow.) then it's possible... unsure though

Can Azrael absorb Jin's drives similar to how Hakumen can cut them and create a zoid?

I'm pretty sure at the very least he can absorb 2D.

I wasn't aware Hakumen could create zoids, though. Too OP, that character.

Considering Growler absorbs Jin's Astral it wouldn't be a far-cry for it to takes some of the drive moves as well.

Considering Growler absorbs Jin's Astral it wouldn't be a far-cry for it to takes some of the drive moves as well.

Where was this found?

@AMB, though not a thread for Hakumen, need I remind you of how terrible his projectile cutting ability was prior to receiving voids, and was probably a precursor to Growler Field.

A few questions about Az.

After Az does ground rekkas, they usually go for sj.2D or 3D to beat rolls. But why 3D? It doesn't look like it catches back rolls, but does it? If it does, is 3D better to use against people who have DP's. The sj.2D gives you more frame advantage to play with so i don't see why you wouldn't use that

3C (RC) j.A 5B 2C i assume works either if they get hit by the 3C or the j.A?

Depending on what the combo into rekkas was actually from, the 3D is supposed to combo. The other thing to consider is that if the opponent decides to "no tech" to avoid Azrael's mixup, landing 3D means he usually just got the other weakpoint. Of course getting both weakpoints leads to huge damage or the unblockable.

Where was this found?

@AMB, though not a thread for Hakumen, need I remind you of how terrible his projectile cutting ability was prior to receiving voids, and was probably a precursor to Growler Field.

In the "Azrael Shenanigans" video in the video thread.

Question, I saw an uppercut move in the latest videos that I have never seen utilized before. It looks like part of his forward throw, where he extends his arm high above his head but also swivels around. When the Azreal fighting MC (Bullet) used it on her as an anti air, they were sent into what kind of looked like a spiral. Is that his 6B?

You could probably look on the wiki and find that out but... yes, that is his 6B. Though only one of two moves of his that has head invuln, it pales in comparison to his other anti-airs (5A, 5B, 2C) due to how he moves during it and its hitbox. You also have to dash cancel it if you want to make it safe, though it oddly enough gatlings into 6C, 6D, and 3D.

I had never really seen it used before and the one screen capture on the wiki didn't really clarify the sprite movments. Thanks for telling me.

Hey guys, first time posting here, though long have I lurked.

Fine example of somebody doing it right. I applaud you for your patience and diligence.

I watched the vids last night and iirc Tahichi does something like 236C~46C RC, dash 236C as the winning mix-up vs. Film. I like mix-ups after RCing Cobra. I guess because I see Dogura do 236A RC, 6D/3D mix-up all the time, but since you have to be (relatively) close for Cobra to connect anyway (plus it moves you forward), I feel like it's the perfect spacing for forward dash, high-low, and maybe throw at the right distances (and also assuming your opponent didn't barrier either of the rekka hits).

Correct me if I'm wrong though, I just don't remember seeing Gustaf RC forward dash mix-ups recently.

Fine example of somebody doing it right. I applaud you for your patience and diligence

Thank you kindly :kitty:

One player (can't remember who) also won the round with 3C>RC>j.A mixup. It's nothing new, but I've rarely seen it in action.

In the Top 8 vid around 01:26 Azrael does [LW]5A>5B>2C>3D>6A>DUMP>TCL>Gustaf (3801). But in that combo, the Dump moved him to the other side. If he had remained on the same side, he could've done maybe TCL(reach corner)>5B>air stuff. So was that a 22C Dump that he did in the vid? Would 623C work as well?