Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zeth07

[CP] Azrael - Gameplay Discussion (Pre-Console Release)

played 150+ matches since CP came out, some more opinions:

-His best reversal by far is his backdash, a bit like Tagers's but travels a longer distance. Even tiny pressure holes are easy to escape.

Growler isn't to great on it's own(has to be really close, often trades hits, situation after hit isn't to great), but still useful in the corner or when they start reading your backdashes. Also really starts to shine against curse Arakune.

-I think that most people got hit by Azrael's unblockable because they don't understand him yet. Once people figure him out, they will most times Counter Assault.

Still a cool thing to have, letting people think twice about how to spend their meter.

I could followup BHS RC with a 5C in the corner, but there was much push back, so I couldn't came up with a way to properly combo it.

-6A is strong as hell. Wins against Platinum's bat for example. Seems to beat most attacks that aren't lows.

-Tager matchup felt like HELL. Remember Slayer vs Potemkin? Most gatlings and links can be thrown even without having to instant block. I wish there were more gatlings into 6C.

Zoners on the other hand didn't feel bad at all. Pretty easy to dodge projectiles with his forward dash, so i"ll assume it has some projectile invincibility.

Phalanx Cannon is probably one of the best projectiles in the game, fast as hell and goes trough other projectiles. You can store up to 3 projectiles, happens fast if you use Growler against multi-hitting projectiles like rachels frog.

Now I want to see Azrael standing in the middle of Arakune's swarm with his hands raised, blocking every single one that comes at him.

By using Counter Assault against BHS, did you mean the blockstring setups? Because I'm not sure you can Counter Assault at neutral.

Did anyone see the double elim tournament last night? I forgot which arcade it was at but I know Matoi and Galileo were there. A Tager won the tournament. Anyway, Does anyone remember how badly that blue-coated Azrael player scraped the Noel he played against? That had to be the fastest match of BB I've ever seen. Too bad he didn't know what the hell to do against Tao or any other character besides Noel.

Did anyone see the double elim tournament last night? I forgot which arcade it was at but I know Matoi and Galileo were there. A Tager won the tournament. Anyway, Does anyone remember how badly that blue-coated Azrael player scraped the Noel he played against? That had to be the fastest match of BB I've ever seen. Too bad he didn't know what the hell to do against Tao or any other character besides Noel.

This one?:

http://www.twitch.tv/zeth07/b/342553961

Then he lost to Galileo:

http://www.twitch.tv/zeth07/b/342556690

I stopped watching after that though so I didn't see him play anyone else. I'm gonna assume someone will upload that tournament which is why I haven't uploaded those few matches myself.

This is the best and the most brutal Azrael I ever seen; check out this.

http://es-es.twitch.tv/central804/b/342583745 from 2.11.10

His pressure is unbelievable. And his divekick is, I think, the best jump-in of the game.

Espaz seems to be doing a good job of figuring this guy out. Already has anti rolling tech mdiscreen.

Is having 2 weakpoints really THAT bad? After I see people get 2 they usually play very passive and resort to zoning (if they can), once he's placed 2 weakpoints on them.

It's not ESPAZ as the last two letters just tell you the character they're using. So it's just ESP. Taokaka player.

Yea, cool stuff there.

Espaz seems to be doing a good job of figuring this guy out. Already has anti rolling tech mdiscreen.

Is having 2 weakpoints really THAT bad? After I see people get 2 they usually play very passive and resort to zoning (if they can), once he's placed 2 weakpoints on them.

Yes.

1) The potential unblockable.

2) If you have both weakpoints and get hit, you're going to lose a HUGE chunk of your life and probably get fullscreen corner carried and have another weakpoint applied anyway. We're talking like 4k+ meterless.

Yes.

1) The potential unblockable.

I wouldn't consider that a real threat yet, until people figure out resets with it.

2) If you have both weakpoints and get hit, you're going to lose a HUGE chunk of your life and probably get fullscreen corner carried and have another weakpoint applied anyway. We're talking like 4k+ meterless.

Ahhh the kick to the chest x n correct? I really wanna see his damage potential the most, I'm drawn to hard hitters for some reason :3

My bad about the esp thing lol.

I have 2 questions how exactly does growler work? I saw it had some of those invincibility oval things appear when a projectile was used on him on wakeup, and I know it has a guard point on projectiles but can absorb up to 3 of them and shoot back a fire ball after absorbing at least one projectile right? Still not too clear on the whole thing. It also has autoguard on start up correct, effectively giving him some sort of reversal on wakeup.

And what's the deal with that shoulder tackle that looks like Hakumens 6a? I saw it blow through like everything, is it his AA as well?

I can imagine Azrael being one of those characters that takes a long time to hit "Maturity" I can't wait to play this guy and really get optimal. I'd love to see 2x Weakpoint Punishes haha.

I can imagine Azrael being one of those characters that takes a long time to hit "Maturity" I can't wait to play this guy and really get optimal. I'd love to see 2x Weakpoint Punishes haha.

Yeah, I think it'll take a while to really "click" with Azrael. I think two weeks from now every match with him is gonna look like HnK lol.

It's not ESPAZ as the last two letters just tell you the character they're using. So it's just ESP. Taokaka player.

Yea, cool stuff there.

I can actually see the logic of going from Tao to Azrael. He's got a similar cross-uppy "make your head spin" style of play. He's just a huge manly man instead of a spaztic catgirl.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm19437283

Bad ass Azrael in here, I didn't watch all of it, there should be more of this guy.

Holy SHIT. That 6k combo at 3:54. 50 meter and started from midscreen with a throw. Of course. Because his corner carry is fucking ridiculous. Also started with about 25 meter.

That was actually a 3.7k combo that went into a reset. You know, because Azrael gets heavily rewarded for doing so due to high average damage output. Really liking this character.

Also, when he fights Makoto, is that a Sector Seven theme? If so, pretty cool.

Damn this character is looking good. I'll play him no matter how good he turns out in the end, just like Kanji, but he seems amazing at this point.

The last 10 or so matches I've seen were him just bodying people. Consistent high damage is the best kind of damage!

After seeing more developed Azrael this guy has really got me. I will probably join the ranks of The Terror and help out with footage as much as I can, if needed.

His damage seems "Slightly Above Average" Without meter or weakpoints. But when he applies weakpoints and scores a hit on them the damage is simply jaw-dropping. Seeing the damage he gets from throws made me lol every single time.

Heavily momentum based character. This guy will eat you alive if you're not careful. Definite main.

I'm excited to see his optimal combos and especially his high damage strong starter punishes. I can see Mu-12 damage being swatted away here.

(Also, Forward dashing behind the opponent when they are in the corner looks scary as fuck haha. I've seen nobody block that yet. *Day 6. I know...* )

I'm so hype to fight against a character who has the same gameplan as hakumen. No mistakes or I'll kill you in a few combos. Could dashes be used to punish bad bursts :o

And that Azrael was sick in the nico video.

Also another thing I wanted to point to out was I imagine that Azrael combos are going to develop much the same way that Liz's did in persona in that you are essentially dealing with some free-form play-it-by-ear technology. Seems like his combos focus centrally on starter -> make a weak point early, and then starter -> abuse said weakpoint for extension and re-apply. Alternatively he has some mean guessing games between his dash and anticipating whether or not he's gonna abuse an already applied weak point or set-up the other to make you eat a BHS set-up.

Also that dive-kick being used as a combo extender just made me lose my mind

EDIT: Actually now that I think about his 214D being able to lead to that divekick extension was probably an intentional ID parallel ahahah