Kurushii

[AC+] PSN Match Finder/GG Thread

GGs to MisterBadguy and yaya747

shoutouts to finishing mission mode in one sitting with Dizzy and just getting a lousy bronze trophy

press start > leave room

Ren we gotta have a set man chipp vs chipp soon

Assuming MA to OR and vice versa doesn't suck lagwise (given the horror stories I've heard of the netcode), I'd gladly take you on! Another Chipp user would be kickass in more ways than one.

^^ this. Coming from someone who has also been playing this game for over a decade, listen to this man.

Also GGs to everyone I've played recently. I know I'm in the minority but I've had no huge problems with lag or the netcode. Even coast to coast connections have been fairly solid. Feel free to throw me some invites no matter where, iin the US at least, you are.

Really? In that case I might take you up on that offer sometime!

Like I haven't been trying?

And playing this game just makes me disgusted at this point.

I absolutely hate that everything I've worked on for all this time - wasting months of my life trying to build up a real damn game around this character and this game and it doesn't amount to much other than "he's ass". I tried really hard to analyze matches I've had that I didn't and did have recordings of, went to and got laughed at at events, sucked it up, and the end result is "I knew what to do and I fucked it up anyways" or "and then I did something stupid and got hit anyways."

It's not fucking working. I don't know what to tell you other than that. I read up, I watched up, I practiced every day at 8AM at school instead of working for a solid year, and I am still leagues worse than someone who's only been playing 3 weeks. It's a fucking embarrassment!

All that work, all that time, and everything it cost me - means nothing but a cheap laugh to most players around here when my name gets mentioned.

I'm a fucking moron, though. I'll just keep practicing whatever shit as always hoping I can master it. Same as fucking blazblue. Never getting better at any real person's pace, still a competitive joke years later.

God fucking damn....

i can tell you if you have any potential, play me, im on psn, i will be honest.

Post-college real life and pre-grad school/career stuff keeps things in perspective too.

If real life has made sure to teach me anything it's that if you aren't at a competitive level you deserve to be in poverty and you should jut get out of everyone else's way. The world is a competitive place and you have no place in it if you can't compete. Neither school nor real life will tolerate losers.

You need constant Focus, Strength, Talent, Skill, and Determination.

What *I* think about that doesn't really mean much - it's the truth of the world we live in. So I'm just gonna keep pushing to get better otherwise the world is just going to feed me to the wolves and laugh.

This is videogames, though. Videogames aren't as harsh as real life.

i can tell you if you have any potential, play me, im on psn, i will be honest.

Sure - I think I need to step away from the game for a bit, though. Add me on PSN or whatever and we'll see what's what.

Okay, cause I was laughing my ass off. Getting angry doesnt do jack, I've been playing Guilty Gear for a decade. If some new player beats me, more power to them?

If your main is Baiken, gl not getting easy damage and having bad matchups. Then again, if your at the top of your game, good luck never getting hit and annoying the fuck out of the other player until they mess up, get CH and get dust looped by you.

I still can't tell if you're saying this character is retarded easy/cheap or not.

I try to do a lot of the things you suggest but I haven't had any payoff, or I just plain fuck it up. I'm still a very incapable player in most fundamental respects. I practice a lot but still don't have anything to spec.

Again, I'll just keep training modo. Maybe someday I'll be able to play the game.

Relax

I am quite bad at relaxing. You don't get to relax when you have to push for something, IMO.

Okay - no more of this in this thread - everything can go to PMs. - I cleaned a little out.

Edited by Star-Demon

Hey, Star. Y'know what I think you should do?

Face against me. I get my arse kicked on a regular basis, so I think your level may be around mine or possibly higher. I'm not one to care about winning or losing anymore, since I've found my area of thrill for FGs, but at the very least if you somehow manage to win, it could possibly give you a confidence boost.

Ya have my PSN (it's on the previous page, and I even go to lengths to make sure my post profile has it), so just give me a PM and we can schedule a few rounds. That is, if you truly want to ditch this personality of a hopeless dog (it took me a while, but hey, I found it).

typically when i run into bad players, they tend to fall into two categories; this is provided that they have trained and have appropriate match up experience time put in. the first are players who over-complicate their strategy, all strategy should be simple, should revolve around a simplistic goal and where possible reduced to simple steps and means so that you may complete them in an actual game. when you play an actual match, most of what is going on in your mind isnt conscious, you dont dialogue it out with yourself (or if you do, you shouldnt rather). your subconscious isnt going to deal with an abstract goal, your goals should be simple, your methods may be abstract, what you want to achieve in any moment or overall shouldnt be, it should be specific and SIMPLE. The 2nd sort of player may have an understanding of the game and have processed their goals into simple digestible bits, but when they get into an actual game their subconscious falls into this reflex mechanism of abstraction, like they dont know who they are, what game they are playing, and just become momentary and reactionary without any concept of a goal. The problem with the first player may be resolved with proper introspection, the problem with the 2nd player may be or may not be, depending on how much of their function is lost and how strong their response is.

Hmm, a break seems to be in order again I guess. :p

I think you should just...take some pressure off of your mind really. There's nothing hanging in the balance when you play, you play to improve and that happens win or lose. You can't take every fight to be the deciding factor of weather or not you've improved. It's gonna be a gradual process. Just look for doing better and nailing setups and stuff, that counts too.

The 2nd sort of player may have an understanding of the game and have processed their goals into simple digestible bits, but when they get into an actual game their subconscious falls into this reflex mechanism of abstraction, like they dont know who they are, what game they are playing, and just become momentary and reactionary without any concept of a goal. The problem with the first player may be resolved with proper introspection, the problem with the 2nd player may be or may not be, depending on how much of their function is lost and how strong their response is.

Just to make sure I got this right, you're saying before the match you actually have a plan/strategy. But when the match begins, you forget what the plan was and then just start pressing buttons which can cause you to get hit by random shit and drop many hit confirms.

If that's so, then I'm pretty much under that category. What do you do to stop that?

Smoke some weed Star .

^this, you have to expect some good players out there, there here also to help you out and to have fun. if i was you, i should be pretty happy to have a lot of people on internet to help me out.

GGs to thepot and psyblade =3 good times, welcome to the ggac chat btw! Hoku has plans to take over za warudo w/ chat. Also, stormbro, we have yet to play on here, and I see you on =U Quit lurk'n and give me sum exploding rushdown. Flllyyyyy~~

typically when i run into bad players, they tend to fall into two categories; this is provided that they have trained and have appropriate match up experience time put in. the first are players who over-complicate their strategy, all strategy should be simple, should revolve around a simplistic goal and where possible reduced to simple steps and means so that you may complete them in an actual game. when you play an actual match, most of what is going on in your mind isnt conscious, you dont dialogue it out with yourself (or if you do, you shouldnt rather). your subconscious isnt going to deal with an abstract goal, your goals should be simple, your methods may be abstract, what you want to achieve in any moment or overall shouldnt be, it should be specific and SIMPLE. The 2nd sort of player may have an understanding of the game and have processed their goals into simple digestible bits, but when they get into an actual game their subconscious falls into this reflex mechanism of abstraction, like they dont know who they are, what game they are playing, and just become momentary and reactionary without any concept of a goal. The problem with the first player may be resolved with proper introspection, the problem with the 2nd player may be or may not be, depending on how much of their function is lost and how strong their response is.

That gamer psychology... perhaps you can diagnose what's wrong with my menality?

Usually when I'm playing, I have a set strategy - try to get in strings that do damage. So often when I'm just jumping around, it's actually my intent to do a certain special or overdrive (for example, Chipp's 41236K or 632146H when I'm far away). If it looks like I'm jumping around just randomly, it tends to be the fact I whiffed the stupid input by hitting 7 or 9 somehow (like I said, my hands are friggin big and the game's controls think I'm intending to do something I wasn't).

In training mode, pulling these off isn't too much of a problem. The issue however arises as soon as there's resistance thrown at me.

I thought it was an issue with the fact I was slow, but then I realized it might be bigger than that - looking at my gameplay, it seems stiff and uneducated. Even during an AH3 session before I got GG, one of my friendlies noticed I wasn't really putting pressure on him, to which I responded that I thought pressure was being able to keep doing damage to your foe (at which point he bluntly stated I have no clue what pressure is).

That said though, I stopped trying to play these games to make stuff like EVO and really just played to enjoy things that have always made me smile - the audio and visual aesthetics. Things like this make losing at least tolerable (though I *do* want to get better eventually).

tl;dr - I appear to be jumping around because of whiffed inputs that I'm attempting to nail, I don't block and play stiff because my philosophy of victory is damage = king, and I think I have no idea about basic (?) concepts like pressure and just overall FG theory. But I play games to have fun.

That gamer psychology... perhaps you can diagnose what's wrong with my menality?

Usually when I'm playing, I have a set strategy - try to get in strings that do damage. So often when I'm just jumping around, it's actually my intent to do a certain special or overdrive (for example, Chipp's 41236K or 632146H when I'm far away). If it looks like I'm jumping around just randomly, it tends to be the fact I whiffed the stupid input by hitting 7 or 9 somehow (like I said, my hands are friggin big and the game's controls think I'm intending to do something I wasn't).

In training mode, pulling these off isn't too much of a problem. The issue however arises as soon as there's resistance thrown at me.

I thought it was an issue with the fact I was slow, but then I realized it might be bigger than that - looking at my gameplay, it seems stiff and uneducated. Even during an AH3 session before I got GG, one of my friendlies noticed I wasn't really putting pressure on him, to which I responded that I thought pressure was being able to keep doing damage to your foe (at which point he bluntly stated I have no clue what pressure is).

That said though, I stopped trying to play these games to make stuff like EVO and really just played to enjoy things that have always made me smile - the audio and visual aesthetics. Things like this make losing at least tolerable (though I *do* want to get better eventually).

tl;dr - I appear to be jumping around because of whiffed inputs that I'm attempting to nail, I don't block and play stiff because my philosophy of victory is damage = king, and I think I have no idea about basic (?) concepts like pressure and just overall FG theory. But I play games to have fun.

theres nothing wrong with your mentality unless you want to improve, if you want to improve, you have to accept that the process will not be fun, also your goal in a game typically shouldnt be, i need to get off this super, unless that super has some tactical value, which could be the case, a goal should have some strategic worth, it should be like, i know the enemy wants to do "A" to me or force me to a location using "B" attack to eventually do "A" to me, i want to do "C" to him, "C" could be something that improves your position, like flooring the enemy, making him guard something advantageous to you, and/ or countering his potential "A" attack, for example. words like pressure are meaningless, dont use them, they are vague and carry little or no value, get used to thinking about specifics, dont think vague terms like pressure or rushdown, instead say like, corner trap using "X" projectile and/or attack chain vs "Y" character, or be even more specific than that, the more details the better and therefore the more you can visualize it and understand solutions or possibilities.

Just to make sure I got this right, you're saying before the match you actually have a plan/strategy. But when the match begins, you forget what the plan was and then just start pressing buttons which can cause you to get hit by random shit and drop many hit confirms.

If that's so, then I'm pretty much under that category. What do you do to stop that?

that is the worst to deal with, the only advice i can give is to try your best to force awareness somehow, i dont know of any guaranteed solution to that problem. i have known some players that have mitigated the problem, by brute force spamming games against good players that punish their bad play, i think its worse for you if you play people who let you get away with it tbh, but there were some players i knew who never could break out of it, and those who couldnt really never went far.

Edited by Saphri

So Saphri, let me ask you this: How do you resolve a mentality issue that forces your mind to brutally rush through the match - a mentality born from inexperience - because you don't really have a plan that can't be countered by someone who knows the game far more than you do?

Furthermore, if "improving" isn't going to be fun, then what point does playing the darn game even serve then? I play games to have fun, but if improving ignores that fact, then why the hell even bother?

Edited by Renvalt
Context error

GG to Dreikoo who seriously beat me down 25-1 or something like that. Funny i won with Jam who I don't use at all. Robo Ky and A.B.A. I'm smh.

GGs SaxPlaya. Was a bunch of fun games against a bunch of different chars. :D

GG to Dreikoo who seriously beat me down 25-1 or something like that. Funny i won with Jam who I don't use at all. Robo Ky and A.B.A. I'm smh.

Your Jam was just so...odd...I'd never seen one like that. It also was my first match of Slayer after about 15 of them with O-sol so I was a bit rusty, I got my revenge later with my mixups. :P

Edited by Dreiko

Winning is fun. Winning is even sweeter when you know that the person you won against is really good. You can agree with that right? Just like everything else in life, being good at something you do is fun. Do you think that Kobe Bryant got to his level just by playing basketball games? Of course not, he had to go through intensive training, most of which is not fun at all. But it was worth it to him, and if I were in his shoes I would also agree all the blood sweat and tears were worth being able to stand at the top.

The best things in life come from hard work. Most of the time that hard work isn't fun. But if you are driven and have that goal in mind while you do the work, then it makes it bearable. Sure you can also just play this game casually with no regards to improving, but the more work you put into the game, the more rewarding it will be.

So Saphri, let me ask you this: How do you resolve a mentality issue that forces your mind to brutally rush through the match - a mentality born from inexperience - because you don't really have a plan that can be countered by someone who knows the game far more than you do?

Furthermore, if "improving" isn't going to be fun, then what point does playing the darn game even serve then? I play games to have fun, but if improving ignores that fact, then why the hell even bother?

im not sure what you are asking for your first question, but it sounds like you need to develop a strategy which is what i was mentioning before, set simple goals and try to accomplish them in matches.

the process required to improve isnt fun, unless you are a masochist, because improving entails getting your ass kicked over and over countless times to experience marginal improvement, it also requires lots of time spent grinding out combos or specific set ups for various match ups. there is no guarantee that you will eventually be at a level which you will satisfied with, so if your standards for satisfaction are really high and you dont reach them, and you arent a masochist, there really is no reason that i can see for putting yourself through the pain in the first place. however, if you are the sort of person who enjoys that marginal improvement, of being able to do one more thing better than last week or if just the process of learning itself to you is rewarding, then there is a point to it all. and if by rare chance you do reach the standards that you set for yourself at the start, the whole process itself could be viewed as worth it from the gratification of knowing that you succeeded.

GGs SaxPlaya. Was a bunch of fun games against a bunch of different chars. :D

Your Jam was just so...odd...I'd never seen one like that. It also was my first match of Slayer after about 15 of them with O-sol so I was a bit rusty, I got my revenge later with my mixups. :P

At least some of the matches seemed closer than the margin of victory. I felt like was in there for about 10. Others i was steamrolled with pressure.

I have that weird problem of learning the basics of the game on the psp and then moving on to a stick. it's so much different playing on a fight stick. My psp jam is better. I haven't practiced A.B.A. in weeks and I see she's regressing because I'm starting to drop rekkas, miss her frc and my mixup has gotten much worse. I still need to really learn Robo Ky. I struggle pressuring with him and getting space to lay down his mat, hit confirm knockdown (2HS) or go into 5HS frc off of 2k (slide kick thing). Robo Ky still feels strange offensively.

Regarding the mentality thing. I know based on Sirlin's analysis of player types, I am "The Obsessed." I tend to focus on minimalistic tactics and completely forget what my options are at times. i tend to want to do something, especially when learning a character and completely force things in situations that I shouldn't. For instance, I know I can win off robo's shoryuken super but I commit too much into it rather than making the read. My tactics tend to change between matches but i struggle to put it all together. Occasionally it truly comes together and I see the potential. My litchi and Tsubaki is a little better with tactical consistency. I'm not as good with Tsubaki, but I find her more fun and find that my neutral game is a little more solid with her if I stick to her for a few weeks. (If not she's quite sporadic.) Playing good people helps, even if that beat up on you. I think it's best when you play someone slightly better than you. I feel you'll see your improvement and have the drive as well as realistic means to overtake them.

ABA is just one of those chars I've no matchup experience against, I gather she like, loses life when her key is powered up and has to drink it back up...and she hits hard lol. Robo-ky is my buddy's main though, so I know what to watch for and how to approach him. :D