Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xeno

#R: Does GunFlame link to GunFlame?

Topic. Is it a link or am I just doing it really fast (and over-estimating the recovery frames)?

In accent core (plus only ?), ex Sol can combo multiple gun flames but it uses tension : 236+S/HS, FRC, 236+S/HS,FRC etc... Then, normal sol can't combo multiple gun flame nor in AC, nor in #R. However the FRC timing in GGX-2 (not #R) was so early that it was maybe possible to do a 2ble gun flame... Didn't try it though...

Sorry, I didn't mean link as in combo, I meant "just-link" I think is the name? Where one move can be cancelled into another, I think in #R Eddie has c(s) and f(s) link to each other this way.

Sorry, I didn't mean link as in combo, I meant "just-link" I think is the name? Where one move can be cancelled into another, I think in #R Eddie has c(s) and f(s) link to each other this way.

You mean combo it into GF from a normal? If so, 5H and 2H combo into GF on crouching characters in #R.

not combo, just "link"

You're having a bit of a misunderstanding here.

A "link" is a combo, it is a combo where you are able to combo two moves into each other because the first move gives enough stun or advantage to where the second move is able to combo into it. It's called a link because you aren't cancelling anything into anything, you are doing the first move, fully recovering from it, and then executing the second move. Most combos in 2D games revolve around either links or cancels (two-in-ones, cancelling the first move into the second). When cancelling normals into other normals, this is usually called a "chain" (or "gatling" in the GG series).

As for the opener's question, one of the reasons you cannot link two Gun Flames in #R is because after XX/X2, they removed the ability to have multiple Gun Flames on the screen (this was to eliminate rapid GF FRC spam from XX). If the first GF was a CH, then it is theoretically possible to do another GF after you fully recover from the first one and have it combo, but I believe that the startup is too slow for this to work.

Clayton is right. Everyone else who said gunflame can't combo into another gunflame on normal hit is wrong. Also, for clarification... attack level doesn't matter for moves that launch the opponent. You have to consider -untechable time-, which doesn't change regardless of which portion of the gunflame connects with the opponent.

However... in this situation, I think the original post was actually asking for something else. It sounds like the author is confusing the term "link" with "chain". Excelence has also made this mistake. A link is commonly defined as two moves which combo into each other WITHOUT chaining. Juggles fall into this catagory as well (usually). If that's the case, no it isn't possible to chain gunflame into another gunflame in the same sense that you would chain Eddie's close slash into his far slash. If you thought you saw it somewhere before... this is kind of a stretch but.. in older GGXX videos were sometimes recorded at poor frame rates... combine that with the simplified RC/FRC animation, and sometimes the entire thing would be missing from the video. I once had someone come tell me about how he saw Sol chain his Volcanic Viper into air throw, but really it was just the RC animation not showing up, when he RC'd and airthrew the opponent's burst.

The only way I could get two GF to combo together was to do the first one meaty on wakeup and in relatively close proximity so the second one wouldn't have to travel far to reach the opponent. Attempting to space it to hit from further ranges didn't work because it took too long for the second GF to reach them and they could tech.

Eh... I guess this kind of reply is standard nowadays. People say something is impossible, find out they're wrong, then come back to say it's impractical. If you didn't even know if it was possible, there's no reason to assume you know every possible use for it. In other words... please refrain from passing judgement on it until you have more experience with it. In the end, "practical" is something that varies from person to person. Also for anyone who was curious: Assuming the first gunflame is sufficiently meaty / distanced, comboing the second one isn't even a 1 frame link... it's much more lenient than that.

Shrug so basically this is the cliche its impossible... Someone shows its possible. So talk shit about it to make themselves feel better... Also it actually even works in AC with the smaller hit box and more start up. Granted not as easy. But it still works.

I called it impractical because it is. A meaty gunflame hits how often? From my experience it's a rare occurance, and I can't ever remember the last time that ever happened. Someone who gets hit by meaty gunflame was either not blocking, mashing buttons, misses a reversal, or tries to backdash. All of those scenarios except missing a reversal are unlikely to happen in a match, and even then trying to reversal out of meaty GF isn't exactly the best idea in itself. On the rare occasion this does happen in #R, meaty gunflame hitting that is, you'd do a standard B&B combo after it or DL if it's in the corner, so its usefulness isn't really that high. Sol's combo options in #R are pretty limited, hence why I labeled it impractical. If it were AC, there really isn't much of a difference either; either do B&B combo if too far to do SW loop, otherwise go for SW loop. Besides, since Sol's AC combos usually cap out at 60% without guard bar (on characters with average defense), adding another GF after a meaty GF doesn't really do anything. Linking GF into GF doesn't really change anything.

Well, at the very least it's interesting. You can do a really basic combo after it and it will do pretty good damage. But eh, it is somewhat impractical. No reason anyone should ever get hit by meaty GF on wakeup.

Well, at the very least it's interesting. You can do a really basic combo after it and it will do pretty good damage. But eh, it is somewhat impractical. No reason anyone should ever get hit by meaty GF on wakeup.

agreed!

Link isn't the right word.. cancel is what I meant, but it sounds like that's a no?