Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HARD_BREAD

[CPEX] Relius Clover Gameplay Discussion

It was on his blog ages ago, on a different video host. Not youtube or nico. I could never get it to work as why you don't see the Heat Gain listed.

Gatlings Lost: 6B > 6C, 3C > 5D.

It looks like 3C>5D still works...

http://youtu.be/mI2F9SHHzw0?t=16m

Also that vid has pretty good Relius play, and its nice to know that 22C>RC>Vol Tedo works for if you have 100 meter to spare at the end :P

Also I miss the old Distortion vocal for Vol Tedo :( It sounds less like potato now

Would any of you Relius players be willing to add me on Xbox and show me the ropes?

Also what are some things I should know about Relius? I'm picking him up as my main.

5 minute rundown

learning how to get the maximum mileage out of ignis is where you should start.

having a gameplan pre/during/post ignis is a start, usually it's run and summon/approach/run and summon but there are plenty of variations here.

after getting her out; zoning with her and movement are very important as they will allow you chances to condition the foe and get in safely.

if ignis meter >1000 and not in slow regen state, dismiss her. learn how much guage each move uses and what the foe can do to dismiss her.

if in, pressure the foe to death. get very creative with mixups because hes lacking here. get them to block with stuff like 5b 6d x n. basic mixup is either 3cd j.high/low or...6d high/low. dont try to mixup without ignis or a jump in for the most part.

pre/post ignis neutral pokes are 5b and j.a, use them well.

5 minute rundown

learning how to get the maximum mileage out of ignis is where you should start.

having a gameplan pre/during/post ignis is a start, usually it's run and summon/approach/run and summon but there are plenty of variations here.

after getting her out; zoning with her and movement are very important as they will allow you chances to condition the foe and get in safely.

if ignis meter >1000 and not in slow regen state, dismiss her. learn how much guage each move uses and what the foe can do to dismiss her.

if in, pressure the foe to death. get very creative with mixups because hes lacking here. get them to block with stuff like 5b 6d x n. basic mixup is either 3cd j.high/low or...6d high/low. dont try to mixup without ignis or a jump in for the most part.

pre/post ignis neutral pokes are 5b and j.a, use them well.

I see. I'll have to jump in the lab and get accustomed to her range and such. I've noticed I have a hard time keeping Ignis out. She always ends up getting hit, and then I have to summon her again.

The only combo I've been using so far is 5A> 5B > 5C > 236C > 214A (I'm still getting used to typing out combos for this game, forgive me if that was typed out poorly). Not really sure what to do other than that, lol. 214A seems really useful just for surprising people or getting some easy damage in from afar, applying pressure, ect. Other than that move however I'm not really sure I'm properly utilizing the rest of her moveset.

Midscreen practice this:

5B > 6B > 6C > 214A > 6B > sj.B > j.8D > j.236C > j.214B > ad

Corner practice this:

5B > 5C(2) > 236C > 214A > 66 > 6B > tk j.236C > 2C > 6C > 4D > 3C > Oki

keeping ignis out can be a pain vs good opponents. physical hits dismiss her, yet she is unfazed by projectiles. some of your damage will be from baiting people to hit ignis, then using your 5b or IAD jb to punish them and getting guage back. use ignis as a shield vs projectiles, its a very good thing to learn later on

some ignis moves make it harder to hit her, like 214b, j.xd if moved to a safe range, j.214b.... they usually have other exploitable weaknesses though. 2d has super armor but the foe needs to be midrange of ignis - 214a 2d is an ok example of punishing dismissal attempts fullscreen.

midscreen ground combos are meh. as kuru mentioned, 6b is where the damage lies (needs to be point blank)... 2d 6b is how to get it to work outside of that (not optimal), or 236c rc. go for corner carry mostly.

(forgot to mention jb as a neutral tool)

happy training

Yea, midscreen is meh. Don't forget 2C anti-air fatal combos, but honestly that anti-air isn't the greatest and in CP the changes to 214C make it null.

This is all great info. I appreciate all the responses so far ya'll

Should I be abusing 236C? Seems pretty safe when applied correctly.

Not really. There is no real reward outside of corner or 50 heat. In the corner it's occasionally useful as your last frametrap and pressure ender. Even with ignis it's not exactly safe on block.

It also has a harsh smp, so using it early in a combo will reduce the overall damage and heat gain.

Replace 236c with 5b. Overall safe, long range, and plenty of options.

I would also like to add that Relius' 5b and 2b actually extend his hurtbox. So in the time it takes them to be active some one can actually hit you. I can also help you with Relius. I'm one of the better Relius players on live.

I would also like to add that Relius' 5b and 3b actually extend his hurtbox. So in the time it takes them to be active some one can actually hit you. I can also help you with Relius. I'm one of the better Relius players on live.

Same thing with j.C. Just look at that beauty.

Yeah, hes pretty useless without Ignis. But when shes out he can be pretty damn scary because those normals become safe thanks to the hit stun on her moves

6D da savior

Also quick thought, since OD-Cancelling limits you to half the meter, Relius can get around this by just activating OD during an Ingis move with long duration (such as 2D) right? Same thing would work with Carl if what I'm saying actually works.

that should work. anything with x amount of hitstun should do the trick, though some may require heat (236c, vol tedo). the question is, is OD worth it.

that should work. anything with x amount of hitstun should do the trick, though some may require heat (236c, vol tedo). the question is, is OD worth it.

See thats what I was thinking about too. It seems like a Burst would be more important to Relius (due to his lacking options in getting out of pressure). But the best use of OD in my opinion would be to refill Ignis at the end of pressure. Say you have the opponent blocking, but you get to the point where Ignis is about to die so you back off. Instead you pop a OD and Ignis refills allowing you to continue your ever precious momentum. But you would have to decide where thats worth giving up the ability to burst whenever and have to wait for it to refill again.

Midscreen practice this:

5B > 6B > 6C > 214A > 6B > sj.B > j.8D > j.236C > j.214B > ad

Corner practice this:

5B > 5C(2) > 236C > 214A > 66 > 6B > tk j.236C > 2C > 6C > 4D > 3C > Oki

If I wanna start the mid screen combo with a jump-in what's the best normal to use? It's weird because when I do a jump in into that exact combo with like 4 or 5 pokes, it actually does less than when I start it with the 5B. What's up with that?

I also seem to have trouble getting the j.236C to come out consistently. I know it's not my execution because I can do the move fine on it's own, but for some reason I can't buffer into it from j.8D.

j.B and j.C scale damage identically, so either of those. j.A actually scales less than the other two, but it'll be much harder to connect 5B afterwards, in addition to j.A not being an overhead. As for combos doing less damage with more hits, that all is just a product of the way damage scaling works in the game. You can read the specifics here http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Damage_(BBCSE) although I don't know how useful the formula will be to you. Just know the way damage scaling works in the game is pretty complicated compared to other games.

Also, I'm pretty sure you aren't canceling into j.236C after j.8D but instead linking it. You have to wait for Relius to stop his little pose he does for j.8D before inputting the j.236C

snip

the damage in OD looks really good and rather simple. not entirely sure of OD combo routes yet, but ...(stuff) 214a 214b 214c works in OD and does a solid chunk.

because relius does not need the corner or ignis as much to damage (via gad leis), it kinda lessens the significance of OD's damage/corner carry. unless it is possible to convert standing or ad lib combos, there probably still wont be many OD combos in matches.

it would probably be best in pressure as you said and this is likely where OD will be most used.