Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Freezerburn

Ottawa: Why have fundamentals when you have gimmicks?

This is the only Ottawa thread on Dustloop. I swear!

Welcome to the Ottawa DL thread. Here, you'll find who plays games in Ottawa and where you can meet in the city.

Right now, we're currently meeting at Ottawa HQ, which is my basement. Since it is my house and not a real public place, please PM me for the address. People play all sorts of games here (such as SF4, MVC3 and 3S).

Ottawa HQ

dead forever

Algonquin Competitive Gaming Club (Open to Non-Students!)

Currently Open Thursdays

Hours

5:00PM until Midnight and Beyond

Algonquin College

e206b of the Student Commons ("E" or "Student Association" building), 2nd Floor above the Starbucks.

Players List:

Playstation 3
Freezerburn
PSN: SuperAverageBoy
LiveWireX
PSN: L-W-X
Judgment_Flame
PSN: CaptainFalcon07
Krackatoa
PSN: Mooseington

Essay
PSN: RadicalEssay

madigawadesperate

PSN: rawalpindiblues

Dagwood

PSN: crond1zzle

Ryufujin

PSN: Rose-Cruz

Mr.Sparkman

PSN: MrSparkmanEXE

Yurisan

PSN: Yurisan

Xbox 360
Freezerburn
XBL: neofreezerburn
Essay
XBL: Northofself
TheRealDaddy
XBL: TheRealDaddy
Rigel Cyrosea
XBL: Rigel Cyrosea
Krackatoa
XBL: One Plus Tuque

XBL: LaN3X

Oh nice. I was actually going to ask about making one in the new year earlier. Props for going ahead and doing it early.

Sup Ottawa?

I be trying to track, y'all. With BBCP on the horizon, I'm hoping we've gots some more BB/P4A/GG people around for when it's out, and that we can start getting some hype for things.

Just to be clear, are we trying to build an Arksys community or a Dustloop community? Because I specifically see Skullgirls and Vampire Savior featured on this site, and I am pretty damn hype about Darkstalkers Resurrection being released in 3 months.

Just to be clear, are we trying to build an Arksys community or a Dustloop community? Because I specifically see Skullgirls and Vampire Savior featured on this site, and I am pretty damn hype about Darkstalkers Resurrection being released in 3 months.

I could be wrong, but I've been of the thought process that it's partly both, albeit with the idea stemming from an Aksys community. However, I'm not exactly the head of things by any means so I can't really speak for sure.

It's definitely both. This thread is mainly to provide a resource to people who want to play something other than the Capcom games. Arguably, Arksys games are probably the next in line in terms of popularity.

On top of that, both the Toronto and the Montreal communities are confirmed for bro tier (AirMaster got here before I even finished some of the posts) and are great people. I'd like for us to get familiar to the games featured here and familiar with the communities here, as they can only really help us get better.

No homo, I swear.

It's definitely both. This thread is mainly to provide a resource to people who want to play something other than the Capcom games.

Just as long as Vampire Savior doesn't count as a "Capcom game", haha.

:psyduck:

Just jumping in that I also support TO and MTL for bro-tier. Montreal peeps have helped me out a bunch for both T12 and T13, and TO helped me out a good bit when it came to stuff for MAD too. Good players, and nice guys I should totally have added to PSN by now.

^ All the more reason we're piling into my car and travelling to a TO/MTL tournament once I'm fit to travel again.

And hey, throw my XBL gamertag (Northofself) into post #2. My internet's trash right now, but that should be resolved in a few months.

Yeah, I'll get to adding IDs and venues as they come along. I'm at my work's Christmas party so I'll be smashed for quite some time before I get around to it.

Good to hear your involvement, Essay. Even without your car, I was thinking of renting a vehicle and making the trip down to Montreal for weekends. I'm 25 (oh God, so old) so renting a car is pretty cheap.

Huh...I thought you were like 27 or something. Now I feel old too, lol. Though it's good that we potentially have a means to get to Montreal for events when need be.

It'd be good to see some real enthusiasm for something other than Marvel in this city. My XBL is Rigel Cyrosea, put me in the list when you get around to updating it.

Yeah, it's good to see some people coming out from hiding around here. It gives me hope we can get this rolling.

Algonquin Competitive Gaming Club (Open to Non-Students!)

Hours

Tuesdays: 5:10PM until Midnight and Beyond

Algonquin College

e206b of the Student Commons ("E" or "Student Association" building), 2nd Floor above the Starbucks.

We have three decent BenQ HD displays (No audio, they're DVI-in but HDMI-to-DVI dongles are provided. You'll have to supply your own audio.) and one CRT TV. I'm going to eyeball extra consoles on Boxing Day. The only title I don't have personally is BlazBlue. We end up running a lot of GG and Skullgirls and we have some dedicated BB guys on campus.

Skullgirls is going to blow up in GameDev here at Algonquin if it gets a PC release. Either way, we run every Tuesday if people are looking for a place to play.

XBL: One Plus Tuque

Having access to a real Guilty Gear training mode, and free time to burn on it is bliss. Every character has fun things to learn. [cliché]I'm a fricken kid in a candy store right now.[/cliché]

It'd be good to see some real enthusiasm for something other than Marvel in this city.

Heh, don't tell me you didn't notice my unbridled enthusiasm for every game BUT Mahvel at the HQ over the past month or so. Even when I sucked it up and played that game, understand I only did it for the butchered Darkstalkers. :kitty:

That said, it really is GG that I'm enthusiastic about over everything, which brings me to a big point Johnny, Devin and I were touching on before making this thread:

(To be blunt) We should all try to at least play Guilt Gear.

Now, coming from the mouth of FreezerB, Rigel or myself... yeah, there might be a bit of a bias. But it's justified, right? :keke:

What I'm curious about is how others feel about using GG as a lynchpin, if only for the sake that it is useful for building "anime fundamentals". I'm as open as the next guy to BB (though I missed out on CS2 and Extend, I'm sure Ms. Litchi is still fuuun) and P4A (though I lost some of my motivation when I found out that there were already legions of Yosukes in central Ottawa). I'm dying too for the Xbox release of the Skullgirls patch and Darkstalkers Resurrection. Still, it's Guilty Gear that I see as having the most reward.

And how do other Dustloop communities operate? I've been stranded in this effectively-tournamentless town for three straight years. You had better believe that I'm hungry for a roadtrip....

The hell is "Guilt Gear"? lolololololololololol

But yeah, GG's the game to learn if you want to be good at games. I definitely won't discourage any games that gets brought up (hell, I'll even play KOF). I just think that having a good common game would help everyone understand fundamentals and whatnot. Most of us on Xbox anyway so GG is definitely accessible.

The hell is "Guilt Gear"? lolololololololololol

Hah. It's here to stay now, that's what.

Other Dustloop communities seem to actually mostly operate on PS3, which took me by surprise that the people popping up have mostly been 360. I've got no qualms about playing GG than the next guy (even though I only actually own vanilla GGX2, and have most of my practice in Slash), but I'm not gonna lie and act like Blazblue's not my baby. That's the thing that got me back into traditional 2D fighters back when CT first came out, and it's what I've put most of myself into. That being said, I do honestly feel a game like KOFXIII probably better teaches fundamentals.