Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amanita

!NEW! TOASTY CASUALS (L.A. area) Bi-weekly for new and old players!

TOASTY CASUALS

Beginning Friday January 11th Toasty Casuals shall initiate.

UPDATE: The street is SOUTH not north Alameda

Also meet up time will be sometime after 6pm, probably after 7pm.

Update: we have a Facebook Page and to keep you more up to date now Twitter!!!

I’m DAA, and I’ve been trying to coordinate casuals Friday nights at FFA for games such as GuiltyGear, MeltyBlood, BlazBlue, Persona 4 Arena, Arcana Heart, and more!

As FFA closes its doors on nearly 40 years of history come this new year, we’re moving venue. As such for those who regularly come and fight for dominance every Friday at FFA, on January 11th we will meet at Japan Arcade in Little Tokyo, and we can take up the fights there for bi-weekly epic dominance!

toastypicfixcol.jpg

On January 18th for those who are newer to the fighting game scene, or need to get better at a game (like I need to get better at Guilty Gear!), or want more casual or social fun, or might be in the area, we will be meet for a “more casual” bi-weekly meet-up. There will be exhibitions, move lists available, helpful people, and I will ask senior attendees to be kind to any newbies or anyone trying to learn.

Air Dashers:

Games where you can dash in the air. The general definition. A lot of these games have now been grouped into “anime” style games, and as we move venue to Little Tokyo, new and old players should be aware of how some of these games just came to be. MeltyBlood, once a computer based game, is based on a visual novel Tsukihime, and probably has one of the largest anime and manga back resource of any games we play, at least on arcade cabinets. We’re trying to get anyone who might want to play these games, but may have been afraid or intimidated, interested in coming to our “more casual” casual nights, so please, any questions, even if they seem stupid, post below!

Most of the games will be on arcade cabinets, and some PS3!

For newbies, this means joysticks and buttons, so if you are used to playing at home with a controller, like many Meltyblood or GuiltyGear, you can bring a PS2 controller and plug it in to play. A few games like Arcana Heart 3 and Persona 4 are a little more obscure and the arcade cabs are harder to obtain, so it is likely we will have a wristband fee to pay to play for the night for several console games. There will also be games we will try to include such as Skull Girls, which is download only from PSN and XBOX Live. Also if you have a PS3 controller or joystick it would be a great idea to bring it along as we are starting off, especially in our first weeks. Questions on games or what any of this means, post below!

koha%2520controller.jpg

The Venue:

Japan Arcade is nooked into a corner in Little Tokyo’s Galleria Mall, right by Woori Market, on the second floor. It shares its space with restaurants, karaoke, and small shops. If you are over 21, there is a lovely selection of bars within the eateries, and of any age great food and stores in the mall and surrounding areas. Anything I missed that you want to add? Post below!

food.jpg

Why “Toasty” Casuals?

West Toast was a tournament begun by a founder of the Meltybread website, and a play on the name. Toasty is using this partiality for fondness of the airdasher scene along with the “toasty” atmosphere Japan Arcade unfortunately can get if there are many people, usually on warm days. Dress in layers! You have been warned!

toasty%2520warm.jpg

Transportation:

A lot of people are already in the area and expressing interested as I am typing this, but for some of you, myself included, I am expressing an urge to coordinate carpools to go to Little Tokyo from areas of SFV, also to take public transit, as there is a station within MY (I have a cane and cannot walk too far) walking distance from the arcade! For many of you I know the easiest thing would be to go to the North Hollywood Park and Ride and leave from there, and it is very simple to get to the stop on Alameda just north of where the Galleria is. If anyone has any more helpful hints or wants to offer transport post below!

:psyduck:

Yay can't wait to go to this. It's alot easier than the drive to Super Thursdays. I wish I can go to the newbies on the 18th but, SCR is that day :(

February 1st will be the second meet-up for newer players. But we'll probably be at the arcade pretty late, I will post on here to notify any interested parties before we leave the arcade though. It can stay open decently late, until past midnight.

I'd be commuting a bit to go to these but I'm definitely interested. If someone in the area could explain the parking situation near Japan Arcade (prices, distance, etc) I'd really appreciate it!

Sweet. I'll be there for Blaz Blue and Guilty Gear.

Groucho: A friend of mine who works there told me Japan Arcade is going to remain open.

Glod: The Arcade is located inside a large shopping mall. You can park in there and get validation inside.

Melty and Guilty are for arcade, so you'll have to put in tokens for that. I will be bringing my PS3 so we'll have BBX, AH3, SG, P4U, etc. There will be a fee for the PS3 use, but I haven't figured it out just yet.

For those worried about parking, the parking meters on the street say the are enforced from 8a to 8p. You can assume then that parking is free after 8p,

Oh snap, I feel stupid, I didn't even know that about the parking!

And how come no one commented about FFA closing on the 31st, not Japan Arcade. Dude a troll?

And how come no one commented about FFA closing on the 31st, not Japan Arcade.

Goodnight, sweet prince.

Goodnight, sweet prince.

I miss it too... TT___TT is anyone going to show up tonight for Toasties, though? Last week was busy! Tonight is for newbies to shine! All I see are newbie streetfighter and KOF players, I'm tiring of beating up on them nyao.

Yo! GG's in Guilty Gear, P4A and Aquapazza. I'll see about coming next friday. (so convinent from work). Aquapazza is also coming with me next time. ;q

So for those who made it, it was fun! Good games, except you Numa you're mean to me. Those of you who did not make it, we had pretty good play even though tonight was a 'for the newbies' night. I hope those of you who did try out new games learned and had fun! I know I learned much from Numa mopping the floor with me in Arcana 3.

We had 2 PS3 setups, and we will have for sure, from now on, as long as there are enough people. Also the cabinets got good play, too. So anyone with reservations that you're unsure there's no one showing up, we are, and most of us are too lazy to post on here. Good games, and see you next week, or in weeks to come!

And as Numa pointed out, feel free to bring games and sticks/controllers. If people wanna play them, then we can... Numa... Waterpizza? Wth?

Hi! I just happened to get lucky last night and wandered into Japan Arcade while looking for food, and found your session. Had fun playing Melty/Guilty Gear/Aquapazza and teaching AH3 basics!

Unfortunately, I was just visiting while I was in socal, so I can't be a regular. But I wish you guys the best, and hope the scene grows further!

Thank you very much! I had fun playing you, and thanks for helping teach my friend more how to play, I suck at teaching games to others. ^__^;; if you're ever in the area again, you know where to find us! Sorry I forgot to offer you a teacake.

I posted on Meltybread, setup begins hopefully at 5pm. I am on my way to Japan Arcade now. We have confirmations of intentions to show. See you there nyao~!

If any of you on Dustloop play Melty, It'd be great if you guys came over. We've got quite a couple regulars. If everything goes well, this Friday will be our biggest meetup yet.

I deeply apologize, due to a rather severe sickness (I had to go to the ER bad), there probably will be no console play tonight. Toasty Casuals will be back for sure, next Friday.