Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiba

[CP1.1] Valkenhayn Gameplay Discussion

Naw man don't worry, it's looking pretty great. I've been going through the strat thread again and again today to try and drill the information into my head, so please rest assured that it's been a HUGE help.

I guess my biggest problem is the fact that I have to get used to Valk again, I've found the movement a bit stiffening, but I'm just gonna grind in the lab tonight. What's the easiest way of practicing wolf brake btw? Any specific setups? I'm not too bothered if I don't get it completly down straight away, but I thought I'd give it a start.

Wolf brake or brJA ? wolf brake consist of simply cancelling a wolf dash. brJA is the instant overhead.

If it's brJA, I would suggest you to either starts training by doing it raw (1DCA).

You can also do w5B>brJA. If you did it right, it will combo with either 1DCA or 6D>4CA.

On pad I find it a lot easier to do 6D > 4CA. I haven't had a lot of success with 1DCA.

On pad I find it a lot easier to do 6D > 4CA. I haven't had a lot of success with 1DCA.

Same here. I only use a pad.

if it can help you Krieg, I press D with the tip of my thumb, slide my joint to C then press A with the tip again. Of course, just go with the most comfortable way for you.

EDIT: Oh yeah brJA works with 6D > 1/4/7CA, but it's 2 frames (if I remember correctly) slower than using the downward dash variant.

Thanks! Before I asked, I've been using the 6D variant all this time so it's nice to know 1D uses less frames. I've seen the instant overhead used to end/reset combos after 3C/5C > 236B > 236B. Only been able to do it once since the timing is VERY strict. ;___; Can anyone assess the usefulness of doing this before I use up too much time trying to master this? In any case, it looks legit... lol

I'll give that a shot, thanks man.

I really need to get a stick at some point though.

Yes you do! Playing with him on an arcade stick is hella fun (albeit very tricky at times)!

I was doing a little more experimenting with the w5C loop.

I have found much more success (95% of the time) executing it with 5C > 2D > 4C as opposed to using 1D/3D. You can only do this twice maximum as doing any more will leave you too far out to followup.

Thanks! Before I asked, I've been using the 6D variant all this time so it's nice to know 1D uses less frames. I've seen the instant overhead used to end/reset combos after 3C/5C > 236B > 236B. Only been able to do it once since the timing is VERY strict. ;___; Can anyone assess the usefulness of doing this before I use up to much time trying to master this? In any case, it looks legit... lol

Yes you do! Playing with him on an arcade stick is hella fun (albeit very tricky at times)!

Haha, I used to play CS1 Valk on stick all the time before it (the stick) died on me.

I couldn't do 214214C to save my life.

I want to create a rather large F.A.Q for the combo thread since people seem to be having a vast array of problems with Valkenhayn's CP combos. If any of you have any good F.A.Q questions & answers (perhaps something that you initially had trouble with) I'd really appreciate it if you'd send me them via PM since I'm sure that most people have different difficulties and covering a lot of them would be beneficial. Thanks.

I was doing a little more experimenting with the w5C loop.

I have found much more success (95% of the time) executing it with 5C > 2D > 4C as opposed to using 1D/3D. You can only do this twice maximum as doing any more will leave you too far out to followup.

Yeah, I've actually had similar success and have been using 2D up until now as well.

For me 1D is the hardest, 2D is the easiest, and 3D is normal. Still need to get good at doing it with 3D though.

And to those who don't plan on learning the Wolf Sweep Loop in it's entirety I'd suggest that you at least learn how to do the first 2 reps for wolf pressure purposes.

It's not really related to the FAQ but I think that having a "BnB" section or "Basic Combos" would help beginners tremendously.

Example: When I first decided to give Azrael a try to sub him, I checked Zeth's combo thread. The basic combos and combo theory helped me a lot.

We sort of have that in the guide, but I could add it in the combo thread as well. Similar to that idea, I was also thinking about creating a recommended combo list.

I want to create a rather large F.A.Q for the combo thread since people seem to be having a vast array of problems with Valkenhayn's CP combos. If any of you have any good F.A.Q questions & answers (perhaps something that you initially had trouble with) I'd really appreciate it if you'd send me them via PM since I'm sure that most people have different difficulties and covering a lot of them would be beneficial. Thanks.

And to those who don't plan on learning the Wolf Sweep Loop in it's entirety I'd suggest that you at least learn how to do the first 2 reps for wolf pressure purposes.

FAQ for combo thread is a good idea. Go for it, and I agree with you on the fact that people should learn to do at least 2 reps for wolf pressure.

We sort of have that in the guide, but I could add it in the combo thread as well. Similar to that idea, I was also thinking about creating a recommended combo list.

The combos I have in the guide are just to get people started really, so if you want to add a recommended/beginner combo list to the combo thread that's all good really. Speaking of the combo thread, I was thinking of changing it a little. Do you guys prefer how it is now or would you rather have them listed like I have them in the Tsubaki Combo thread here? I think the latter is better but it could be personal preference.

To be honest, I prefer Dreize's. I like a lot the introduction he did and how he carefully ordered them based on where exactly they should be done.

The character specifics would be a nice plus though.

It's all good man saves me the trouble of changing anything anyway haha.

To be perfectly honest I tend to go with the flow when it comes to these things. If a lot of people want it changed then I'm more than willing to do it.

w[j.A > 5B > 5C > 6D > j.A > 5D] > 5B > 5C > j.B > j.B > j.C

This is probably the hardest combo I've ever done. For some reason I just can't him to transform back into human after the 5D. I end up with wolf 5B. I'm assuming I have to do press D faster but when I do that I can actually transform but then 5B doesn't come out at all. Is there any specific trick or do I need to just grind it out?

Usually when it does w5B instead it's because you pressed 5D too fast actually.

Lemme explain, you can't go back to human mode during wjA so you have to make sure that you press 5D AFTER wjA ends. Otherwise, the game will ignore 5D.

Another thing you have to keep in mind is that you have to press 5D>5B as fast as possible. I just slide my finger from D to B and it always works as it's in my opinion the fastest way to do it.

After wjA ends I should be on the ground and not trying to change while in the air right? Oh that's a good tip on the slide. I used to play Soul Calibur so sliding makes perfect sense here.

Yeah wjA>land>5DB works fine too.

Anyway, just keep training and don't give up. To be honest with you, that's far from being the hardest to do with Valk (236B>236B>brJA and the wolf loop to be more accurate). Still, you will soon notice that it's just a matter of finding the right timing and grind it as much as possible. Good luck anyway.

Wolf loop is definitely more difficult than 236B~236B > brJA for me. I'm starting to get 236B down fairly consistently in training, but not matches of course.

Have you guys had any luck getting consistent with the wolf loop? Generally I'm sitting at 3 loops and the most I've ever been able to do is 6 loops which I've only been able to do once. I find it kind of odd that sometimes I'll be able to do 3 loops 10 or so times in a row then suddenly I'll be unable to do it again for about 20 attempts.

I've been able to do 4 loops at max but for pressure I stick with two just to be consistent.

I don't use wolf loop in combos.

I can do 2 loops easily nowadays. Anything past that is always a struggle/inconsistent. From my experience it's all about momentum.

As for the w[j.A] IOH, I can only do it if I bind my A to a shoulder button; which I'm not willing to do in an actual match. It was much easier in Extend.

Really though I haven't practiced the loop enough, I know that I can definitely improve. When it comes to getting better at fighting games I'm uncharacteristically optimistic. However, it's just not a top priority of mine at this time.

Getting my combos down off of every starter & wolf movement are my top priorities.

Yeah I don't use wolf loop in combos either not that I could if I wanted to anyways. The only use I see for them are OD combos honestly, I don't think the damage increase vs meter drain is worth it in most cases. I just practice it just to see if I'll ever be able to get consistent with it in hopes that I can get crazy damage off of OD combos. As for combos I think I've finally decided which combos I want to grind out and practice now, which is another reason why I was practicing loops because I hadn't really picked which combos to grind out.

Wolf IOH I do find easier in some ways in CP on stick honestly, I couldn't do a raw 1/2/3C5C wj.A in Extend, I always had to do 5CC, I did use 3C5C on special cancels though. That being said I was fare more consistent at in Extend than I currently am.

That also reminds me, due to the new wolf break system I'm finding it hard to do wIAD > 5D > wolf break over people now or even just for standard jump-in AA baits. It was so much easier in Extend considering all you had to do was do D > 5CC, the new 5D3/2D3C is such a pain to do, I honestly find this to be the biggest hit to my wolf mobility.