Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tataki

Guilty Bits video series- Official thread

And that is why I wanted the script for review. Besides that, I've mentioned before that the information on actual playstyle was lackluster and that too much attention was put into his level guage.

I think "bad" is the wrong qualifier for the HOS episode. It's good for what it is, which is to provide the newbie with a general overview of the character. His charge function is a bit of a hassle when you're new as well, and I certainly knew nothing about charge keep for a good while.

Sure, it could be fleshed-out, but then you could say that of all episodes. How much info do we really need in these, anyway?

And that is why I wanted the script for review.

Dude, The episode is out. You listen to the script when you watch the bloody video...

very nice idea and l for one appreciate the initiative and hard work going into these episodes as a whole. the videos so far have highlighted the strengths of the relative characters decently. some of my friends don't like to read long walls of text, this is an excellent way to keep things short but sweet and my guys to remain interested in the long run.

can't wait to see how you guys do A.B.A and zappa in particular.

very nice idea and l for one appreciate the initiative and hard work going into these episodes as a whole. the videos so far have highlighted the strengths of the relative characters decently. some of my friends don't like to read long walls of text, this is an excellent way to keep things short but sweet and my guys to remain interested in the long run.

This, this so bad.

Keep up the work Novril. Seeing GGXX on the SRK frontpage everytime you complete a video is refreshing among 99% SSFIV:AE and UMvC3 news.

I'm sorry I took so long to answer back, was tired from the traveling and had to restart working right after so I couldn't really find the time to write a post here.

So, to get back on the discussion with Zidane about Anji's neutral and okizeme game :

Osuna pretty much said what I thought about the wording to describe Anji's okizeme. The thing we have to pay attention to however is for future episodes not to use inferior wording to describe Millia's oki for example, in order to keep some overall consistence. But for the rewriting of the Anji episode we will anyway use milder wording to avoid any confusion.

Regarding Anji's poking and neutral game, my impression is that you are now exaggerating its strengths on some details pretty much in the same way that we probably did make it look weaker than it really is and didn't convey things properly in the original video.

First, I can agree that the best rewards Anji can get in terms of damage are definitely from poking and neutral game situations. Actually, you get his best in terms of damage from pretty much anything that leads to a fuujin, FB rin combo as early in the combo as possible, be it a 5S, 2S or 6S counter hit, a 5HS to counter an opponent whiffing a shorter range poke or even a plain HS fuujin. The simple reason for that is because the lesser hits in the combo before going to what really does damage (fuujin, FB rin combo), the better damage you get. But there is no actual proration in the okizeme that causes damage to drop. Or at best it depends on what tool you used to open the guard (3P, 2S, 2D, butterfly hits in themselves for example do NOT have proration, but 2K does) and then you do lose some damage due to the butterfly hits lowering the guard gauge, but nothing that makes an okizeme from a 3P opener that much inferior to a combo from a 5S poke.

Now, you don’t actually get occasions for big combos from pokes that often. Particularly when you’re fighting characters that can shut down Anji’s pokes pretty easily because they have an overall superior poking game (Axl), have ways to absorb/protect themselves from pokes with shit (Eddie) or have so fast pokes or movement that you can’t allow yourself to throw some 2S and 6S without taking the risk to whiff and get your pokes stuffed in the meantime (Slayer/Chipp). Now these chars I put in parenthesis are only a few of many matchup examples in which Anji just can’t afford to use his mainstream pokes mindlessly and has to be very careful, patient and look for openings or other ways to break in (with well timed IADs for example). While it is true that against some of the cast you can sometimes zone effectively with Anji’s pokes, there are many examples where you just can’t, which also led us to underline the shortcomings of his neutral game.

Also regarding autoguard making his poking game better than other chars, I don’t really agree either. While it’s true autoguard somehow helps its neutral game I believe it is wrong to say that his pokes are better than other chars’ because of that. The 5 autoguard frames that 6S has aren’t what essentially makes it a good poke in AC and +R (even if it does contribute for sure), but rather its range and wide hitbox. I can’t count the number of times I got successful CHs with this move without even autoguarding anything. We’re not in the Slash and Reload days anymore with the old 5HS that was made godly by its 7 well placed autoguard frames. By the way, what other good poke is there in AC and +R that is good and has autoguard other than 6S ? The answer is simply put, none.

Finally, mentioning 80-90% combos with Anji is misleading, considering you can’t get such combos with him unless you’re able to seriously crank your opponent’s guard bar (which in AC is difficult due to 5S not building guard bar, and in ACR people have more life overall) or unless you’re fighting Chipp and being very generous in rounding your percentages. It’s true though that Anji is capable of very solid damage (I believe I mentioned it in my original explanations for the making of the vid, but it wasn't in the final script) and IMO he’s even in the upper end of damage dealers in +R thanks to some of the stronger characters of AC losing a lot of their bullshit.

Anyway, I agree by know that the vid we provided definitely had some issues in it that are due to the wording we used and the way we chose to present things, and I want to apologize for it as I have my fair share of responsibility in it. We’re working on a better version which I think should be a lot clearer, precise and less absolute about the opinions put forward in it.

Super late on this, but I would say that the HOS video is fine, given the target audience. It could use a little polish, but overall it gives good information for people who are trying to get into GG and are interested in the character.

I do think that it was a bit strange that Brandino was helping with HOS though, given that I seem to remember him playing Millia back when he lived in NC. Surprised that he didn't think to contact me or any of the other more active HOS players...

cant wait for the next episode! lets keep the interest growing even more now that Xrd has been announced!

I do think that it was a bit strange that Brandino was helping with HOS though, given that I seem to remember him playing Millia back when he lived in NC. Surprised that he didn't think to contact me or any of the other more active HOS players...

I hopped back on HOS when I moved back to Ohio and been playing hard body since Summer Jam...I pretty much dropped MB to main GG. Also I didn't think to contact you since I'm rarely on FB (and whenever I am online you're not online) and I tried getting in contact with LM_Akira and Ryan Bill, but no dice.

Shrug there's always PMs. Schedules don't have to line up exactly for there to be communication. But it is what it is. I'm not particularly dissatisfied with the end product.

I'd like to thank Tataki for his fantastic video series, especially since it's the reason why I'm on this forum right now. Hopefully you get to do May soon as my brother is interested in maining her.

What's Zidane's twitter? I need him to go through the final version of the script before we start recording and say if he wants to appear in the credits at the end, and under what name.

What's Zidane's twitter? I need him to go through the final version of the script before we start recording and say if he wants to appear in the credits at the end, and under what name.

@zidanel33t

Ill let him know you're looking to get in contact with him.

I hopped back on HOS when I moved back to Ohio and been playing hard body since Summer Jam...I pretty much dropped MB to main GG. Also I didn't think to contact you since I'm rarely on FB (and whenever I am online you're not online) and I tried getting in contact with LM_Akira and Ryan Bill, but no dice.

And why not get in contact with me?

that was both funny and wtf at the same time.

any idea when the next vid will be out?

I like the use of actual match footage for those videos. Opening a tutorial and seeing the character you're interested in performing fluent sequences can have a very motivational effect for beginners.