Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tataki

Guilty Bits video series- Official thread

Staying tuned :D Your vids were the fnal shove that got me off the wall of considering to pickup GGXX.

So yeah its your fault I have another damn fighting game to learn and study the intricasies off and get frustrated at while I try to stop sucking. /endrage

Sincerely thanks guys :D I love this process <3

BlazBits and what needs to be done to make it happen

As I said in the comments already, a similar series for BBCP is not planned right now, but I'd like to share some more detailed reasoning, and do it in here where people can voice their opinions on the situation:

The time it takes to produce an episode for a single character from scratch, considering the hard work of picking the right content, presenting it in the right way, and then creating a video that looks good, rather than some cheap looking windows movie maker things you usually see on youtube, takes between 20 to 30 hours. 20-30 hours is relatively fine for a one time project, but multiply that with 25 characters and this turns into another full time job on top of your actual job, all which you do for free, during your free time. Back then when we put up an episode per week, I had no life outside of it. All my free time after work and during weekends went on that, which burned me out and eventually forced me to take a 2 month break between episodes 7 and 8 -- and you can look at each video's date yourself to confirm that. This is also why we switched to bi-weekly format. Having an episode ready every week was literally impossible.

While we do intent to finish what we started, we also had to accept that projects like this are too much effort for not much reward. So from now on the focus will be on projects that don't force you to commit to 20+ episodes from the very beginning, only on projects of smaller scale -- but not of smaller importance! (You'd be excited for what we DO have planned, but that's a topic for another day.)

So now there are 2 options:

1. You accept that the scope of what we can give you is limited, mainly because of time constraints, and settle with just getting that. This is what usually happens with free internet content, and that's what we are prepared for.

2. You decide that those "extra" projects, like BlazBits, are important to you. Important enough that you'd be willing to pitch in with 1$, or 2$, or 5$ to make it happen, i.e. Kickstarter the shit out of it. If time equals money and our scale is measured in minimum wage, then think about Guilty Bits as a 7000$ present from us to the community. We hope you enjoyed your present, but we really can't afford to commit to another 7000$ worth of hours to make another 25 part series. Making compromises on the quality of the content is not an option, because ending up with a sub-par guide is a waste of time, and making compromises on the production values is also not an option, because it's vital to leave an impression of "holy shit this is awesome" that attracts new people to the game, and that's something you simply can't do with windows movie maker quickies.

So either you help make it happen, or you somehow convince the publisher @Aksysgames or @ArcSystemWorksU even to help make it happen, or we settle with option #1.

Your choice, and we'll be fine with whatever you decide. No hard feelings. :)

Speaking solely for myself, character tutorials for BlazBlue are not something I would be willing to support financially.

I think you've done a great service for the GG community with Guilty Bits. The series filled a void by providing simple, straightforward tutorials for the cast of a game that is widely considered to have a high barrier of entry and requires a lot of precise knowledge that can be difficult to discern through experimentation alone. Prior to GB, the only ways for a newcomer to the series to gain this kind of insight into each character was to simply play the game until they figured this stuff out through trail and error, or spend hours exhaustively combing through wiki pages. The fact that the videos all have such high production values has also likely attracted new players to the game who began following the series simply because it was interesting/fun to watch.

BlazBlue, on the other hand, already equips new players with all the information they could conceivably need to learn how to play as and against each character. Between the system tutorials, character tutorials, and combo trials, there's very little information left over to cover in a video series. At best, I think BlazBits would be a regurgitation of info already present in the game that came with the added benefit of a visual demonstration. You could probably justify such a project as having the secondary purpose of advertising BB to newcomers; unlike GG, however, BB already has a strong ad campaign behind it to expand its fanbase without the need for nearly as much aid from the players.

I completely understand why you guys would want some kind of payment for doing a project like this. Frankly, I'm surprised (and quite grateful) you've done this much for free. That said, I personally don't feel as though a similar video series for BB is necessary—at least not enough that I'd be willing to donate anything to make it a reality.

I agree with The White Man, I was thinking the same thing, BB already has enough going for it when it comes to teaching people how to play. There was nor is any character nor combo tutorials for GG characters, Gbits really filled in that necessary space very well.

Awesome! Again thanks guys for an awesome video.

Regarding BlazBits, I think that you guys should probably ask in other places too as BlazBlue is much more popular to Guilty Gear and there are other places with active communities that might be interested in kickstarting this. You guys indeed filled a void in the GG community by putting these videos up and it is much appreciated. But hey, what if people are willing to pay for something similar for BlazBlue? I say you guys give it a shot by putting this in Indiegogo (if it's not too expensive).

Finish Justice and Kliff before BlazBits! :/

Pichy and I made the scripts before the JP PS3 ver came out. The problem is that he has not been showing signs of life lately and I want to make sure the scripts don't need any updates.

So either get him to show up, or find other JU/KL experts who can help.

While it's true that I've been extremely busy (there was a local major the week you sent the PM and I've done 50 hours of work a week since it), I think Dustloop ate a PM over a month ago. :v: Regardless, big apology for holding things up. Now have a video of my crappy-ass Bullet at said local major.

While it's true that I've been extremely busy (there was a local major the week you sent the PM and I've done 50 hours of work a week since it), I think Dustloop ate a PM over a month ago. :v: Regardless, big apology for holding things up. Now have a video of my crappy-ass Bullet at said local major.

PM with links sent.

That's about all I can contribute to Kliff. See if there's anyone on the Kliff board with anything more to contribute.

As for Justice, well, that's all there is to her. Anything more is matchup-specific tricks and going into exactly which button to hit at all times. Such details aren't fit for a brief "here's the gist of a character" video though. That's for an hour-long recorded training session filled with profanity-laden rants about her bad matchups (which are everyone not called ABA :v:).

I understand, but even players who pick Low-Tier need to know what they can or at least a lowdown of what to expect.

I understand, but even players who pick Low-Tier need to know what they can or at least a lowdown of what to expect.

To die.

who are the best justice players? not just in america, but in jp, too. couldn't someone who watched some top players be able to tell how she works? she seems fairly simple, perhaps not to the point of being straightforward, but regardless of the matchup she wants to set up missiles, walk forward, use her combination of tools to disrupt/mixup the foe, rinse and repeat. of course matchups are what require justice to be versatile and adaptive, but her gameplan itself doesn't deviate much, does it?

anyway im dropping ABA for justice if l ever get the game so, looking forward to her bit when it comes out. happy creating.

People are willing to donate but it's in the ambiguous "can or cannot happen" area right now.

At this point we need 1 BB character expert to help us create a "beta" episode, so we can test the new time saving approach for the production we were working on. Obviously if the project get funded he'll get paid for his time when the episode is published like all the rest of the people who will help.

Idk about America, but in Japan it's TON and Tsujikawa.

thanks. there are a few matches on yt that are good for each. im not sure if l watched them before, the justice play is definitely more clean than what im used to.

as for the bb char, l can help out. l dont like to toot my own horn, so... plenty of chaps have said im a rachel expert (they used 'sensei'.... so i'll take that as the former). l know a lot of character at a high degree so l can help not just with hime.

depends on what you need. from the help, and deadlines. because l work alot, there are few times in the day l can post here. if you end up needing me l hope you understand that part especially.

as for the bb char, l can help out. l dont like to toot my own horn, so... plenty of chaps have said im a rachel expert (they used 'sensei'.... so i'll take that as the former). l know a lot of character at a high degree so l can help not just with hime.

depends on what you need. from the help, and deadlines. because l work alot, there are few times in the day l can post here. if you end up needing me l hope you understand that part especially.

There are no "deadlines". You just write a huge forum post with all the main important stuff one needs to know about the character, in a template we'll provide, and we make a script out of it, and when you look at it and approve it your role is done. It's only supposed to be a few hours of work in your free time overall.

And I don't want people doing scripts for characters who aren't their mains unless there is no other choice.

oh, alright then. thanks for clearing that up.

ok so if you end up doing this, if you need me for rachel or anyone (assuming worst case and you dont get anyone for, say, relius) then definitely hit me up and l can start.