Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tataki

Guilty Bits video series- Official thread

oh, alright then. thanks for clearing that up.

ok so if you end up doing this, if you need me for rachel or anyone (assuming worst case and you dont get anyone for, say, relius) then definitely hit me up and l can start.

As I said, right now I'm only doing beta phase i.e. measuring the time it takes to make an episode from scratch.

If you want to write about CP Rachel, PM me your email and I'll give you access to the document page.

Another great video, guys. Eddie changed enough in +R that I've been struggling to wrap my mind around all of his new tools from simply observing them, so this episode saved me a fair bit of research.

:thumbu:

So umm to avoid any further problems, any additional Kliff and Justice players want to look at their scripts?

....wow

and I only liked it because it was EX chip's air taunt shuriken with some laughing sound clip that made me keep watching.

We are designing a completely new & improved format for BlazBits. Every thing you think Guilty Bits was missing please let us know ASAP.

While it's unrelated to Guilty Bits BlazBits and all of those projects, do you think it'd be a good idea to do a video about analyzing match videos? I remember ehuangsan wrote a good post about that in the Ky forum some time ago.

to really break through, these videos should feel more like comp sci lectures and less like narrated wikipedia sections on characters in one-cour animes. you need more presenter and less slide. figure these problems out and your impact should increase substantially.

to really break through, these videos should feel more like comp sci lectures and less like narrated wikipedia sections on characters in one-cour animes. you need more presenter and less slide. figure these problems out and your impact should increase substantially.

What?

WELP. i guess i do have to explain myself now. the marketer-speak probably didn't help either. oops

i feel the problem is these videos lack cohesion. you have the introductory blurb and then you have this info dump of "here's X move, here's Y mechanic." it doesn't matter if a character's buttons and specials are sorted into arbitrary categories like pokes and anti-airs. it really sounds like someone is reading a textbook or wikipedia article out loud. the information is undeniably applicable but it is presented like trivia.

the introduction? great. the interludes where you're not explaining what buttons do and the narration actually complements the cool in-game footage? great! that's the sort of stuff you need more of.

obviously, and you've probably stated at one point, these videos are not meant to be exhaustive or comprehensive. they're just to get people interested. if you're gonna direct further inquiries to dustloop, why is the info dump needed in the first place? if it's to shatter the illusion that guilty gear is too hard to play, then narrated textbooks are not a good solution. you need something more like dandy j's kof tutorial

focus on cool shit. or tie the information together and explain how the parts make up the sum. since the latter takes too long, the former is the best option. don't half-ass either option. it's telling when your eddie bit v2 is like an hour long. i bet you would have been better off making a bunch of eddie v1s and combining them into one video

i don't mean at all to shit on your efforts, and clearly your videos fill a previously empty niche. just my two cents

I still think I gave the bare minimum required. I didn't dump any info just for the sake of dumping it. Most of the content was actually cut, so that each vid won't be half hour long.

With that said, I kinda get your point about not being obvious enough with showing the bigger picture at times, and it's already addressed in BlazBits, but just remember that we don't want to impose a specific playstyle "this is how the character is played" because there's enough room for somewhat different ways to play each character, at least at the nuance level.

I used to have English professors who cared more about word count than merit. I shan't be repeating their folly.

If people "need more presenter and less slide" they can watch match videos and combo demonstrations of players who know what they are doing. That's my two cents.

Slowing down and analyzing that and knowing what characters can do and breaking it down in to basics of what is useful and explaining stuff neatly is essentially what the videos have done as far as I'm aware. The main objective of these videos is to showcase a character and let the player decide if that character is right for them or not.

And if people have additional questions the video even requests they comment.

Next question: Let's say you classify the content in Guilty Bits as purely "beginner" content. Other than combos, what type of content would be added as "intermediate" content?

Next question: Let's say you classify the content in Guilty Bits as purely "beginner" content. Other than combos, what type of content would be added as "intermediate" content?

Defensive options probably. Burst, Dead Angle, Faultless Defense, Instablock, Slashback.

Pressure and okizeme. You mention them by name when talking about how a specific tool is good for pressure or okizeme, but understanding frame advantage, the various types of mixups that can open up your opponent, and options you have against certain reversals would be intermediate, I think.

Some examples of using both the system mechanics with the character's tools would be great as well.

Defensive options probably. Burst, Dead Angle, Faultless Defense, Instablock, Slashback.

For a character guide, not a system guide.