Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KawaiiB

Super Smash Bros 4

So, I've been lurking, and I really couldn't find a thread for this. I would love to discuss this future Smash game with this community.

Discuss characters, balancing, stages, items, storyline, hopes, wishes, implementations, ZSS's Boobz. Anything Smash4 related.

I suppose I'll start~

Personal Smash4 roster wish

blackblack_zpscd0dad40.png

Also, feel free to take this Smash4 newcomer poll. I've been far and wide with this poll, going to many Smash communities to get imput. (SWF, SYK, Nsider2, Reddit, /v/, S4U, tumblr, NeoGaf, ect) and a friend of mine over at SWF said this place may be the next stop.

I'd like more FE reps, preferably from FE7, even though I'm fairly certain any new reps would be from Awakening. Also, I still want a ToS rep, even if it'd definitely be Lloyd.

In before the "SMASH ISNT A FIGHTAN GAME" and "DUMB CASUAL SHIT" people.

As long as it doesn't suck like Brawl did.

Obligatory ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww smash.

I'd like more FE reps, preferably from FE7, even though I'm fairly certain any new reps would be from Awakening. Also, I still want a ToS rep, even if it'd definitely be Lloyd.

Well, since Namco is helping develope Smash, Lloyd isn't too out of reach. But, Sakurai did recently say pretty much "Just because Namco is working on the title does not mean they will have a third party in the game."

I do believe the director of Tekken is helping with the balance, and the director of Tales is helping with the storyline. So I figure, Sakurai and these two guys is a pretty big wonder team. The game also should be miles better in terms of competitive play than Brawl and Melee. You gotta remember Sakurai Balanced all prior Smash games BY HIMSELF. He realized after Brawl was released that the Smash series is getting tooooo big for him to tackle by himself.

And, who knows with the FE characters?

Leaf was considered as Marth's clone, but when Sakurai went to Intelligent Systems for approval they gave him an early look at the GBA Fire Emblem, and he agreed that Roy would be a better fit. Sakurai mentions his fire properties as making him stand out.

So at one point Sakurai was interested in not the most recent Fire Emblem characters. It's all a matter of what Intellgent Systems "suggests". Same goes with Pokemon and The Pokemon Company.

Goodness.

But Brawl did suck compared to Melee. It was slower, floatier, had tripping, no wavedashing, fuck, no advanced techniques at all.

It looked good, had some cool stages, and had an amazing OST, but that can't pardon bad gameplay.

I never really got to enjoy Brawl's stages since damn near every person I played the game with was all "HURR DURR FINAL DESTINATION!"

All I'll say is that Port Town Aero Dive is the best stage.

This is undisputable fact, and any counterarguments will be righteously ignored.

What past stages do you want to see return? I would love to see some stages from all the Smash series return. Maybe a level or two per series? Or like 12 past stages?

I never really got to enjoy Brawl's stages since damn near every person I played the game with was all "HURR DURR FINAL DESTINATION!"

Smash-FGC, everybody....

But in all honestly, hazards are something that I see as interesting to the game-play... adds to the dynamics of the series in general. Of the few that I have seen move to All-stars, it's one of the things that they are adjusting to... just dealing with the hazards and what add to the tactics. If that mindset comes full-circle.... I think that the community of Smash will be better off for it.

THIS is a BIG If however.

What i would love to see is nintendo taking out the option to turn off the items

All I'll say is that Port Town Aero Dive is the best stage.

This is undisputable fact, and any counterarguments will be righteously ignored.

Good thing I wholeheartedly agree then lol.

What past stages do you want to see return? I would love to see some stages from all the Smash series return. Maybe a level or two per series? Or like 12 past stages?

Personally I want Brinstar Depths to return. The stage constantly being flipped made for some hilarious moments. Also mushroom kingdom from Smash 64 just for the POW block hazard alone.

What i would love to see is nintendo taking out the option to turn off the items

That's silly? If anything they should add more options. Like, giving Zelda / Shiek / PT VB's and making a taunt their switch. Also not making Pokemon switch automatically. I ONLY WANNA BE CHARIZARD.

Another Smash, another nintendo game where I main Peach. I just hope to god the newcomers don't suck this time.

Hell yes Peach. What's under that dress, girl? You already know.

Smash-FGC, everybody....

But in all honestly, hazards are something that I see as interesting to the game-play... adds to the dynamics of the series in general. Of the few that I have seen move to All-stars, it's one of the things that they are adjusting to... just dealing with the hazards and what add to the tactics. If that mindset comes full-circle.... I think that the community of Smash will be better off for it.

THIS is a BIG If however.

Yeah I agree, I feel the game will be MUCH more enjoyable if people accept the fact that hazards are in the game and adapt instead of lock them off without a second thought. Hazards and open-mindedness with gameplay are the same reason I fell in love with the Power Stone series.

Hazards and open-mindedness with gameplay are the same reason I fell in love with the Power Stone series.

God I love Power Stone... that game was so much fun.

no wavedashing

The wavedashing was something that I didn't want to see as a global effect like it was in Melee... I would have preferred it open to characters that needed the momentum advantage (Bower, Ganondorf, etc.)

Outside of that, it was a bug... it was fix... players lived with it or moved on.

It was slower, floatier

The series as a whole as always had a bit of a weird float to the jumps... it effected some characters more than others. All-Stars does something rather similar to that effect....

Speed is an odd one, I am not sure is Brawl is as slow as everyone believes... but I think that the gulf in speed differences are MUCH more pronounced in Brawl than Melee. And I lay this at the feet of FUCKING SONIC! I think if the character wasn't in the game speed would have been adjusted to something that is difference in feeling than what was in the final game.... Seriously, Sonic being the fastest character in the game may have effected EVERYTHING, seeing how he was a late entry to the game in development..

had tripping

Ok, this is hard... because of the issue around wavedashing.... The problem here was the meta game revolving around momentum, and how wavedashing effect that greatly. Part of that has to do with the fact that it was a global effect to characters in Melee, which in turn broke the established game-play because it worked around speed-presets of the characters in question.

This was addressed by outright removing the technique entirely, but had the adverse effect of damning any character that was slow (Bower, Ganondorf, etc.)... so tripping was more or less a means of braking the flow of momentum. So say that this solution was in-elegant is an understatement, since so much of smash's meta game ran on positioning and momentum of you and the opponent(s).... tripping forced a brake to that, even with trip-canceling.

I honestly see this as a failed experiment of Sakurai's, I don't think that he will do that again unless there is a means of doing so without breaking things that lay at the core of Smash's game-play and meta game. But that said, we'll see...

Yeah I agree, I feel the game will be MUCH more enjoyable if people accept the fact that hazards are in the game and adapt instead of lock them off without a second thought. Hazards and open-mindedness with gameplay are the same reason I fell in love with the Power Stone series.

I've been told that this is one of the reasons the Japanese Brawlers have an advantage over US. And, the items need to not be so OP like they were in Brawl. I like playing with items on low in Melee. It makes for a more even playing field if someone is better at the game then the rest of the group, or it makes things interesting if the players are equal.

I honestly see this as a failed experiment of Sakurai's, I don't think that he will do that again unless there is a means of doing so without breaking things that lay at the core of Smash's game-play and meta game. But that said, we'll see...

Nah, he won't. Just like wavedashing won't return, and probably not L-canceling either. Though I've heard Brawl had L-Canceling at one point.

But Brawl did suck compared to Melee. It was slower, floatier, had tripping, no wavedashing, fuck, no advanced techniques at all.

It looked good, had some cool stages, and had an amazing OST, but that can't pardon bad gameplay.

Tripping was put in because they didn't want brawl to be played comptetively, wavedashing was also possible but done in the stupidest way possible, it wasn't same for all the characters

Nah, he won't. Just like wavedashing won't return, and probably not L-canceling either. Though I've heard Brawl had L-Canceling at one point.

I would agree with you, but Sakurai can be a bit random... I would not say anything until there is game-play footage and a hands on, but even then... things could change come the final product.

I would agree with you, but Sakurai can be a bit random... I would not say anything until there is game-play footage and a hands on, but even then... things could change come the final product.

Yeah, even then if you notice in some of the earlier gameplay footage there is a lot of changed things. Like, characters' having wear and tear, moves taken out (Wolf was going to be more even more clonish), and it seems like the gameplay was faster paced earlier on.