Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TlocCPU

[November 2, 2013] Rebel Up Super Arcade Blazblue CP Ranbats (GG/BB/P4/EXVS/ETC) - Walnut, CA

Usually there's at least one stick just laying around unused. You just have to ask whoever it belongs to. Usually people are okay with it!

I still can't make this one but next time. Sorry!

More Melty. Then Water pizza right after..

Kinda wanna run 2/3 Double Elim for both games. Any issues with that?

huh. A friend of mine is interested in joining, and he's wondering if there's any stream going on or recordings. he's played for a long time, but never really got into tourneys

It's probably good to mention that Thursday @ Super Arcade is the "Thursday Night Runbacks" for UMVC3, KoF13, and P4A. I'll be there for Thursday and Saturday this week.

I 2nd double elim. brackets for MB/AP but I would also like to expand this to BB, given that we have enough time. And since there's an entry fee for P4 would people still enter BB if it had a $2 entry fee?

I 2nd double elim. brackets for MB/AP but I would also like to expand this to BB, given that we have enough time. And since there's an entry fee for P4 would people still enter BB if it had a $2 entry fee?

Nigga I have a hard time popping in my disc and playing it at my house for free

I actually would prefer double elim for BB myself, although I don't care if entry is free or not. Are there other people wanting double elim?

just a heads up. we are no longer going to run any events regardless of size during your rebel up saturdays. you guys bring in the numbers and deserve the entire venue. thank you again for continuing to support the scene and our arcade. only favor i ask is that you please help throw some of your own trash away :) thanks again and see you all here this weekend!

Good to hear Watson/Meryl/Mando/whomever!

I won't be able to make it tomorrow (two birthdays) but have fun guys.

Also is there an online resource for Gundam Extreme VS in English?

Double elim occupies a larger time slot so that could be a problem considering how many events are being run. BB double elim takes especially long though that's mostly because it's BB.

I'm mostly indifferent to whether it's single or double but I do like single elim in the interest of having more time for casuals.

just a heads up. we are no longer going to run any events regardless of size during your rebel up saturdays. you guys bring in the numbers and deserve the entire venue. thank you again for continuing to support the scene and our arcade. only favor i ask is that you please help throw some of your own trash away :) thanks again and see you all here this weekend!

Thanks guys, we really appreciate it!

that was really fun, even though i got bodied by mike's gdlk carl. can't wait to go in another two weeks

Unfortunately, we won't be having one 2 weeks from now due to a huge event scheduled at super (If you play VF5, check it out!). I chose not to reschedule this one due to NCR being the next weekend, but we will reconvene as scheduled 2 weeks after that! Hope to see you there.

You have my utmost gratitude guys. Having the space this last Saturday really improved conditions and I feel like it's one of the funnest rebel ups we have had yet!

So yeah, I'm not really seeing the point of $5 entry for P4A. Other than making me furious when I finally confirm that I'm dropping inputs, during the complicated combo of "mash gunshots". ("So wait, did I just pay 5 bucks just to DQ myself?"). Which I guess might be amusing to some people, in fairness.

But nevertheless, I'm not seeing a lot of benefits here. I highly doubt it's going to draw new players to the scene, and I'd even theorize that it would have the opposite effect of scaring the new players away. People who play at home already tend to feel apprehensive about showing up to play against us local tournament gods, who obviously must be unbeatable death machines.

And it certainly has the perceivable effect amongst ourselves of getting a lower turnout, since people who will show up anyway but focus on other games won't enter due to some combination of "It won't be worth it since I won't win" and "I'm poor". And lastly, if you are playing airdasher games for the sake of making income, I'd like to point out that you're totally doing this wrong.

So yeah, I'm not really seeing the point of $5 entry for P4A. Other than making me furious when I finally confirm that I'm dropping inputs, during the complicated combo of "mash gunshots". ("So wait, did I just pay 5 bucks just to DQ myself?"). Which I guess might be amusing to some people, in fairness.

But nevertheless, I'm not seeing a lot of benefits here. I highly doubt it's going to draw new players to the scene, and I'd even theorize that it would have the opposite effect of scaring the new players away. People who play at home already tend to feel apprehensive about showing up to play against us local tournament gods, who obviously must be unbeatable death machines.

And it certainly has the perceivable effect amongst ourselves of getting a lower turnout, since people who will show up anyway but focus on other games won't enter due to some combination of "It won't be worth it since I won't win" and "I'm poor". And lastly, if you are playing airdasher games for the sake of making income, I'd like to point out that you're totally doing this wrong.

We've been having paid tournaments since the first rebel up. if we want to CHANGE then i'm ok with that. but there's no reason ppl have to throw a fit about it being paid when we've paid an entry fee dating back to the first days of extend and no one complained back then. ppl are acting like tloc is trying to steal ppl's money and it's frankly quite annhioying.

How about this? It's a lot of fucking work to put together Rebel Up and show up every week. I would propose we each donate a dollar to the stream each week....all tournaments free.

How about this? It's a lot of fucking work to put together Rebel Up and show up every week. I would propose we each donate a dollar to the stream each week....all tournaments free.

I like this idea. I mean I only show up here and there because my place of employment schedules me all over the place so it might not matter but, I'm fine paying 5 dollars. Even though I'm pretty new to the air dasher game scene I was fine with TRB entry fee and this entry fee. It makes me want to log off League of Legends, go into training mode and become a better player. So my view of fun is me to stop sucking and if it means not going to Jack in the Box or Starbucks I'll take it. Of course everyone else is different. If T-Loc does stop charging and makes all tournaments free I would still donate an entry fee to them. Keeping this scene alive isn't easy. When I used to play SF4 alot I didn't really have to worry....

ppl are acting like tloc is trying to steal ppl's money and it's frankly quite annhioying.

Well I've definitely not heard any accusations of this, but if anyone is thinking it, I guarantee you that it's not true. He's not that kind of person. And seriously, it's not like he's even guaranteed to win anything. In fact, I'm pretty sure he didn't even place yesterday.

And I honestly never even thought about the stream costs. Chipping in a dollar would be fine, and I'm sure people would like the idea of "Pay once, enter anything (and everything!) you want to." Though that idea is kind of iffy, since people might question where these "stream costs" are actually going to.

And yes, people have always complained about BB entry fees. And probably any entry fee, since the beginning of time. But the thing is, people don't really SAY anything about it, they'll just stop showing up. Like for AI, they had two CS1 cabs, that got played constantly. But on tournament day, we'd struggle to get 20-ish people in it. And those same regulars would be RIGHT THERE at the arcade, maybe even playing on the other cab, totally not being in the tournament. And the less said about the crap-tacular FFA turnouts, the better.

For like 99% of people, they'll never see a return on their entry fee. So there needs to be a really good balance between "The entertainment value is totally worth my money!" and "I feel like I'm throwing my money into a pit, for no reason." In fact, I remember one really good Robo-Ky player at FFA (who probably doesn't read this site, but I'm totally calling you out.) whose entire reason for never showing up again was "I'm never going to beat Mike Z, so what's the point." And... while I won't get started on what's sickeningly wrong with that attitude, yeah, that's how he felt. "I'm just showing up to hand my money over to someone else. Why not just play at home?"

And trust me, even relatively small amounts can get bad. Like, I have no problem with affording any tournaments, but even so TRB and WNF almost blew my budget a few times. And if you're one of the jobless college students... well, good luck. Honestly, even just the venue fees deter people, though I am totally behind that one. Arcades have a hard enough time making money even with it.

And yeah, I've just never seen the benefit of making a pot at all for small gatherings. Why does the FGC even do this? "Well, it's tradition, so..." Yeah, that's always a flawless reason. Is it supposed to be the thrill of gambling? Then maybe there's something wrong with me, because having money on the line doesn't make things more fun to me. In fact, I generally have LESS fun since I can't really risk screwing around with fun but experimental (and troll-ish!) new things.

The best tournament idea I've ever seen so far has been James's free everything tournament, with maybe random prizes. It got great turnouts and great interest, and even without money on the line people are still going to try as hard as they can to win. Wanting to beat your opponent is not synonymous with money. And incidentally, my second-favorite has been the old FFA $1 GG tournaments. Plenty of random people who aren't the best will enter because "Well, it's only a dollar. Why not!", and then the people who do succeed still get the feeling of "Cool, I got paid!" Turns out, the actual amount doesn't really change that feeling. In fact, somewhere around here I have a little collection of notes that say something like "2nd place - $7". And that amuses me far more than anything else could.

Well I've definitely not heard any accusations of this, but if anyone is thinking it, I guarantee you that it's not true. He's not that kind of person. And seriously, it's not like he's even guaranteed to win anything. In fact, I'm pretty sure he didn't even place yesterday.

And I honestly never even thought about the stream costs. Chipping in a dollar would be fine, and I'm sure people would like the idea of "Pay once, enter anything (and everything!) you want to." Though that idea is kind of iffy, since people might question where these "stream costs" are actually going to.

And yes, people have always complained about BB entry fees. And probably any entry fee, since the beginning of time. But the thing is, people don't really SAY anything about it, they'll just stop showing up. Like for AI, they had two CS1 cabs, that got played constantly. But on tournament day, we'd struggle to get 20-ish people in it. And those same regulars would be RIGHT THERE at the arcade, maybe even playing on the other cab, totally not being in the tournament. And the less said about the crap-tacular FFA turnouts, the better.

For like 99% of people, they'll never see a return on their entry fee. So there needs to be a really good balance between "The entertainment value is totally worth my money!" and "I feel like I'm throwing my money into a pit, for no reason." In fact, I remember one really good Robo-Ky player at FFA (who probably doesn't read this site, but I'm totally calling you out.) whose entire reason for never showing up again was "I'm never going to beat Mike Z, so what's the point." And... while I won't get started on what's sickeningly wrong with that attitude, yeah, that's how he felt. "I'm just showing up to hand my money over to someone else. Why not just play at home?"

And trust me, even relatively small amounts can get bad. Like, I have no problem with affording any tournaments, but even so TRB and WNF almost blew my budget a few times. And if you're one of the jobless college students... well, good luck. Honestly, even just the venue fees deter people, though I am totally behind that one. Arcades have a hard enough time making money even with it.

And yeah, I've just never seen the benefit of making a pot at all for small gatherings. Why does the FGC even do this? "Well, it's tradition, so..." Yeah, that's always a flawless reason. Is it supposed to be the thrill of gambling? Then maybe there's something wrong with me, because having money on the line doesn't make things more fun to me. In fact, I generally have LESS fun since I can't really risk screwing around with fun but experimental (and troll-ish!) new things.

The best tournament idea I've ever seen so far has been James's free everything tournament, with maybe random prizes. It got great turnouts and great interest, and even without money on the line people are still going to try as hard as they can to win. Wanting to beat your opponent is not synonymous with money. And incidentally, my second-favorite has been the old FFA $1 GG tournaments. Plenty of random people who aren't the best will enter because "Well, it's only a dollar. Why not!", and then the people who do succeed still get the feeling of "Cool, I got paid!" Turns out, the actual amount doesn't really change that feeling. In fact, somewhere around here I have a little collection of notes that say something like "2nd place - $7". And that amuses me far more than anything else could.

I do appreciate the idea of everyone chipping in 1 dollar to pay for the costs of running everything, but I would like to reaffirm that I chose to do all of this after James left on my own free will for the community (I love you guys) and for myself (I want to continue to be able to participate in a community!). I've never had any intention of putting my costs onto anyone else and I wouldn't expect that from you guys even if you're offering. The reason for the 5 dollar entry fee in Persona is because it is an EVO game and I would like to have a tournament of our very own every 2 weeks where the players feel inclined to compete on an EVO level and step their game up. Before the entrance fee, people were using alts, not really taking their matches seriously. After the entrance fee, I see the exact results I predicted. I see new players like Delta and Diospyros rising up, taking down top socal players like Bond and Myself, and making themselves the new champions of the game. That's the kind of community socal is supposed to be to me and has always been up until recently. If people truly disagree with this philosophy and don't want to pay anymore, I am always down to switch it back to free because like I said at the beginning here, it's all for you guys in the first place.

an entry fee or something on the line for the "main game" makes sense to me

also, one criticism i have about rebel up is that since we have so many side games now, there's not taht many setups for casuals. hell, gundam takes up 4 spots just for one station! we either need to reduce teh number of games run, or find a way to have more setups (preferably the later).