Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TlocCPU

[November 2, 2013] Rebel Up Super Arcade Blazblue CP Ranbats (GG/BB/P4/EXVS/ETC) - Walnut, CA

I think there are 2 mindsets that are in conflict here.

1: $5 Entry fee = Venue for more Serious competition = Less chance for players entering (new or otherwise).

2: No entry fee = chance for more players = Potentially less Serious

Persona is in that weird position of being an anime game at Evo, so there are a decent amount of ppl playing it right now. TLoc wants to take Persona to a more serious level, which I can agree with. IMO, it just needs something a little more, which I, at this time, don't exactly know what it is yet, but maybe it'll come to me... Like... I haven't seen a full results list of the many many tournaments ran for the last rebel up yet. I can do it later i guess.

On the flip side, more players is always nice to have. Being that i have been running Melty tournaments here and at Japan Arcade, I thrive on just having people play in general. I also do this cuz I understand that money, and time, is hard to come by. I also understand that Melty is a "Dead game" but i don't care. I play what i like.

Don't know what else to say without wasting more time at work, so I'll leave it at that for now.

I think it's just the usual situation where you can't please everyone since people have different reasons for playing. As it's been mentioned numerous times before though, the main issue is the relatively small size of the anime community. Don't forget that chances are there are plenty of Capcom players who don't come out to tournaments for the same reason anyone wouldn't spend money to come out.

IMO a $2 entry fee might be a decent middle ground for both parties but since the venue fee won't be changing it's still up to the individual to decide how much they want to spend on top of the $5 venue.

It would be nice if a lot more people spoke up about it though, especially if you prefer something on one extreme or the other. For example, if you think a tournament without an entry fee is a waste of time, then speak up. If you can't afford an entry fee or simply prefer a more casual environment, then say something.

For me, I'd attend the event, enter the tournament, and play at the same level regardless of whether or not there's an entry fee, as long as it doesn't go over $5. However, I think a lower entry fee is more encouraging for the community as a whole since a few extra dollars will still really add up on top of food and gas expenses which are unavoidable when you spend more than 8 to 10 hours at the arcade at a time.

TL;DR:

post-4413-139515174644_thumb.jpg

I agree with BaloneyOs and Jason about money not factoring in to how serious people play. When BB used to be the main game and James occasionally ran free tournaments, people played just as serious regardless of the payout; though I also think a $2-3 middle ground isn't a bad idea. I really enjoyed the idea of small random prizes that James used to do, similar to the posters I gave out this Saturday (except obviously better :V) Also @Tloc where there that many people using alts before the entry fee? The only person I recall using alts in tournament is BaloneyOs.

As for dealing with the lack of casual stations, since we now have Saturday to ourselves :) we can bring our own set ups like on the days they held the 3D tournaments.

Aside from this I've been having a good time as usual, especially with the great variety of games to play :)

Small random prizes do cost money (which, without an entry fee would have to be out of pocket for the TO), but I have some prizes I can bring. Next time I'll bring a few things.

As far as the entry fee, I would play the same either way and would enter free or not. But of course, I'd rather save my $5 than not.

As long as P4A is the only paid tournament until BBCP comes out, I'm okay with this.

When you go to a tournament, you pay to play and find out who the best player is. That's the purpose of putting the money on the line. Of course this isn't the only reason to play fighting games, everyone has to start somewhere and you don't start as a "best player."

For players competing with the mindset of "I want to/I'm going to win" a paid tournament is usually the way to go. At the end of the day $5 is a pretty small amount of money to help prepare your play and your mindset for NCR, EVO, SCR, etc etc -- when you play in tournaments all the time it really helps you play to 100% in a major. I can assure any of you planning to travel at all and wanting to do well in other tournaments, playing with money on the line (even minor) WILL help. (And of course if you're entering with the mindset of "I'm going to win" you have no issue putting money on the line as you are planning on winning it back anyways)

That said, there are plenty of players who have already resigned to losing. It's no secret that there are (oftentimes large) skill gaps in the fighting game community. It can be caused by a variety of things and everyone has their own reasons, and that's fine. I think it's kind of silly to expect players like this to play in a paid tournament. I'll play Marvel - but I don't enter tournaments for it! That's because I don't practice Marvel with the intention/desire to win tournaments. These players can still play to win, want to improve, and learn from the tournament experience - but of course the entry fee comes across more as a "tax" than anything else. I think this idea of a "bad player tax" is kind of silly. I don't push people to go to tournaments because I want to win money from them, I push them to show up to tournaments so they can play offline and grow through playing.

In my area we had a pretty active tournament scene for a while but the top players settled in quickly and we had pretty much the same top4 every tournament, this, combined with our local venue offering very little casuals(new/weak players are unable to grow), caused attendance to start dropping. Everyone already knew the players that were going to win etc and many players more or less gave up on the game or now enter "just to support." If it was up to me, tournaments would be full of players who (rightfully) plan on winning(not "just supporting"), or at the very least, kicking a lot of ass. But as I mentioned before we all play games for different reasons, have differing amounts of time and money, p4 isn't your main game, you're waiting for blazblue cp etc etc. -- and even still, only one player can win and 25% of entrants (must) go 0-2.

I wonder how many SoCal players are still hungry? How many people are sitting at home practicing for Rebel Up thinking to themselves "I'm going to beat brkrdave this time." or "I need to practice the Mitsuru matchups so I don't lose to TLoc/shtkn again." etc etc. How would it feel to them if they finally won, but that win didn't mean anything. I know most of the players out there, and they are great guys, but if you finally beat brkrdave in a tournament and he just kind of shrugged it off "eh, well these tournaments don't really mean anything anymore so I wasn't really trying that hard..."

But outside of the topX players, free play is honestly a lot better for growth. Hell, you could even run jp style team matches. Free entry, random teams, single elim. It's a pretty fast and fun event that breaks the ice for new players by pairing them up with people - and of course if your teammate is counting on you you don't want to let them down!

Edit: anyways regardless of what the community decides to do, just know that you guys have an event which makes the rest of the country(or at least me!) very jealous. So enjoy it :)

No matter what happens, Rebel Up! should rightfully make most of the country jealous. We have a good atmosphere for player growth; at least one that's a lot better than most places, simply because people show up regardless of whether or not they intend to enter the tournament. The most important thing at the end of the day is whether or not people show up. Yeah it's lame to have 8 man tournaments, but that might happen sometimes. Not everyone is sponsored by Team JOB.

i honestly believe that all of socal has given up on practicing at home to beat brkrdave, other than tloc.

i think the other scenes try harder to beat brkrdave than his own scene does.

also, $1 stream fee i figured would go toward mobile hotspot, dragging shit around, replacing shit when it breaks, and if there's money left over, prizes for p4a ---the EVO game

oh yea and i deffo support having more games....street fighter and umvc3 please? i need other scrubs to play with

I don't really have an opinion either way on Persona entry fee other than I'm willing to pay up to $5 every Rebel Up event I attend. That being said, the next Rebel Up looks dicey for me yet again because of previously scheduled events. :/

Also thanks Shingin for the Gundam links, they really help considering I don't read Japanese.

Finally, for those of you who go to the TRB what time do you get there usually? I've shown up early before and sometimes there's no one there but apparently yesterday Tloc was around for like hours on end, oops. XD

I'm usually at lollicup wasting time at 5 PM and i walk over to super at 7. If you get there early and you don't see me, come kidnap me from lollicup for some casuals.

If anyone wants my thoughts on it, and I'm sure you all do, despite the fact that I'm pretty much not in the scene at the moment, is that the entry fee is fine. Honestly, there shouldn't even be payouts, beyond maybe first place getting some money, because you fucks need to realize running this shit costs money. It costs money to run the stream, it costs superarcade money to let us use their internet, it costs them money to let us hog most of the arcade with our smelly anime BO, and it costs a lot of people a lot of time. So the fact that isn't a 50% payout to 1st place and the rest of the proceeds going to people not taking as big a loss is something people need to appreciate.

If you want free Persona entry, then do a single elim tournament before the main tournament. If that cuts into other game times, try to start earlier, or not feature as many games on stream every two weeks. There are a multitude of things you can do to fix this particular problem. Not enough setups to do these things? Bring your own goddamn setups then.

SoCal anime scene is, quite frankly, the shittiest good scene. Maybe it's due to distance traveling, or other things, but East Coast and other coasts seem to have more actual fun playing the games than we do. I personally do not love Persona, despite my initial stance on it. I also know that I'm a huge fuckhead. If I've ever made anyone feel bad or uncomfortable, I'm sorry. I'll be nicer/better/whatever you guys want. But you all need to have more fun. Talk some shit, make small rivalries, do something to add a bit of fun to your games. You're all pretty boring sometimes when it comes to certain things.

Finally, I have no idea how well or poorly TlocCPU is running these things. I have no clue. I haven't heard anyone rioting, so I'm guessing he's doing decent job. If you have some constructive criticism, then you should give it to him. He hasn't been doing this very long. And becoming a leader means that Tloc will put aside any sort of ego or anything like that and listen, as long as you're not a douche about it.

The entry fee isn't really a huge concern because I'm not that big a fan of P4A so I just won't enter if there is one. I tend to come to these just to hang out with people and have a good time while playing games.

Also guymam your shenanigans are fine, I think it's fun/funny.

I know a lot of you have trouble making it consistently, but do try to make it at least to the May 18 one, we will have out of region visitors :)

So with a release date of JP BBCP, who's pre-ordering, who's importing, and who wants to run a big JP release weekend tournament/exhibition/ all day casual session and stream it and also get drunk throughout the day.

That is absolutely something I want to do. I'll be preordering and importing myself and I'm sure a few others will...

i will preorder/import if someone tells me how. or if someone would order 2 copies i'll pay them my share.

also, if i go to a rebel up on may 18 ppl better recognize that i'll be even older than i already am (turn 24 on the 17)

I could get you a copy, of course I'll be ordering both of us the Limited Edition with Rachel nendo :3

And release weekend tourney sounds fun (with my advanced 1 week tech I plan to body everyone however)

I am preordering the shit out of that. I also plan to take work off that day... possibly that Friday too. :V

Same with me i will plan to Pre-order the limited edition if i can and if anyone knows where to pre-order the game.

I think we should do a big event with barbeque burgers outside have fun and drink all f****** day long what do you guys think. Maybe if we plan it well enough the other regions will come down and join us will have this big huge event. It be nice if we get in touch with Arksys rep for some support, if that'd be possible. This event should be huge

Maybe James can give us the hookup with some Aksys person. I think we could really make something like this happen if we stay on top of things, especially since we're thinking about it early on. I can barbeque things if someone brings a grill/food (i can bring food as well of course)