Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rin, Gil, Lancer are S tier. The rest basically falls under "broken, but not enough to be S tier" except for Assassin, who sucks.

Rin, Gil, Lancer are S tier. The rest basically falls under "broken, but not enough to be S tier" except for Assassin, who sucks.

This.:eng101:

I'm considering getting the game, but the matter of what to get it on appears: Should I wait till I get Swap Magic and get the PS2 version, or should I download the PSP version? I'm thinking PS2 right now, just to play with all my buds that don't own PSP's.

Some combos from the PS2 don't work on the PSP version anymore. And some of the minigames have been replaced I think. But you do get Rider in Casual clothes in the PSP. And the damage for the PSP version seems to be way up...

This game interests me, but before I download it, could someone be kind enough to list the significant changes made to the PSP version? I already know about the simplified inputs thing; does that affect gameplay much? EDIT: Nevermind, I bought it anyways. It reminds me a lot of the Bleach DS fighters, for some reason.

Hey guys...um...I just got the PSP version of this game...I know zilch about IT or the storyline, anyone care to fill me in? I tried Tutorial mode...couldn't figure out how to do the 66H Super Jump Cancel thingie. Yes, I know NOTHING about Fate/Stay Night. :v: And apparently I suck at air combos. Assassin is probably the most fun character I've played thus far (I try to avoid "main characters" at first since they're the easiest to play usually).

Hey guys...um...I just got the PSP version of this game...I know zilch about IT or the storyline, anyone care to fill me in?

I tried Tutorial mode...couldn't figure out how to do the 66H Super Jump Cancel thingie.

Yes, I know NOTHING about Fate/Stay Night. :v: And apparently I suck at air combos.

Assassin is probably the most fun character I've played thus far (I try to avoid "main characters" at first since they're the easiest to play usually).

You have it!? WE should totally try ad-hoc party some time! And well Fate's story is easy to understand:

8 masters (Magi) with 8 servants (epic heroes) clash for a chance to acquire the holy grail, an item said to grant it's bearer with any one wish.

I'd go deeper but unless you plan on becoming a fan it's really pointless (plus I'm lazy AND Codes kinda mixes multiple storylines and entries) but if you ever do want to learn more you can either PM or look it up on wiki (the article is pretty in-depth). But you'll have to look else for gameplay advice (I'm still learning)

Eh. That Archer landed a UBW without ending the match. No unscaled supers on either side. That Kirei's damage was crap. etc, etc. Here is a much better Archer vs a somewhat better Kirei, at least judging by the first round (don't have time to watch the rest).

Dunno if the PSP version is any different, but if it's the same as the PS2 one, I played that at a friend's for a while. (Modded PS2 to bypass region lock 'n' all that stuff.) To answer character questions:

God tier is basically Gilgamesh (stupidly easy infinites, ridiculous block pressure against any of the slower members of the cast, etc), Archer (just way too solid in every category), and Caster (some bad matchups like Archer, but wrecks the rest of the cast 100% of the time no save).

High tier is Berserker and Saber (both all-around solid like Archer, but without ranged capabilities).

Everyone else is pretty much average tier. Note that Luviagelita has a pseudo-infinite that's somewhat hard to start but braindead easy to continue. It might even be a true infinite; I'm not entirely sure, but I know my friend took off well over 2/3 of my health with it.

Assassin is shit tier. Yay for great melee range but oh wait Lancer has that and is faster and has real supers and a useful activation.

As for the storyline, you could just read the English patch of Fate/stay night and download all the CGs and sprites.

God tier is basically Gilgamesh

Why am I not surprised? :8/:

Isn't Dark Sakura also crap tier? Slow movement and all? And her combos seem to do less damage than other characters, at the price of having setup options so...

Edit: What about the new characters? Saber Alter, Leysritt, Bazette and Zero Lancer? Or are they not tiered because they're console only?

Dark Sakura isn't shit tier like Assassin. I think she used to be considered god-tier in Japan until people realized that her lack of mobility hurt even harder than Caster's, at which point Archers, Lancers, and Berserkers just shut her down. Nonetheless, her combo setups and pressure game still make her pretty damn solid, and teleporting is decent enough mobility to help her offensively, especially with a projectile backing it up.

I don't know anything about Leysritt, really. I've never seen her used well by anyone. I'm sure she's got some capability I've never figured out, but as far as I can tell she's just utterly meh. Still better than Assassin, though, and for all I know she's just waiting for someone to break her and make her viable, but the lack of any projectiles pretty much kills her combo damage, so I dunno. (For those who don't know, "unscaling", to which I referred earlier, is the property that the combo damage scaler gets reset if a projectile is onscreen while a super hits. Kirei often throws a key just before his super, Archer shoots an arrow and does Caladbolg, Shirou shoots an arrow before Caliburn, etc.)

I've seen Diarmuid used disgustingly well, but I don't know anything that makes him stand out except Gáe Buidhe. (Daerg is meh at best; mana drain at the cost of mana isn't that useful for him since low-health characters without many defensive options, like Diarmuid, need mana to burst frequently.)

Bazette is simply my favorite character, though I was biased since I liked her even before I played. Most of the time I played F/UC I spent practicing her*(until I could pull off things like this unscale occasionally, and more reliable combos with some degree of consistency). She's awesome. Her abare isn't up to par with high-tier characters, though, since she has to have Fragarach or runes set up to land her more serious damage.

I might have access to the game again next month, by the way.

EDIT: Forgot Saber Alter. She's kinda like a Berserker with projectiles, I guess. Like Leysritt, I haven't seen her played much, nor did I get to play with her much, but she seems beastly. You'd have to check tourney results for a more clear picture, though; from what I know, Archers and Lancers tended to win most tourneys when I followed them about a year or so ago.

Lancer's considered that good now? Used to be people just hated dealing with his speed in the way they hate dealing with Millia's and Chipp's, but neither Millia nor Chipp are considered high-tier because of it. And if it's tourney results you're using, I think Archer's had better results than Gilgamesh. Also, you forgot Shirou Tier: Shirou. Anywho, would either of you care to elaborate on Leysritt? Is there anything of note about her that makes her better than a not-as-sucky Assassin?

Just for anyone wondering, the PSP version has been changed a good bit. Firstly, all supers are automatically un-scaled (aka they do full damage no matter what). Also, all grail supers do the same amount of damage (7000, I think). Also, reflect guard cancels have been tampered with, and tweaks have been made to every character.