Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dr. Teeth

[VH] Morrigan: Shell Kicks for Everybody!

I'm going to be posting some more in-depth stuff soon, but here are some quick hits on VH Morrigan. She's quite different.

- Her footsie game is pretty good. s. MP, s. MK, cr. HP, cr. MK, cr. LK, and the occasional cr. HK are all solid pokes to use.

- The priority on the DI is increased a great deal. It's so good in this game that it's actually a really good poke. There are a lot of situations where if I think the opponent is going to throw out a normal, I'll just go for a DI and it will usually beat the opponent's attack clean. You'd be surprised how many things it can stuff, although it usually will lose out to air normals.

- Another note on the DI, it has a slower startup compared to the VS version. This makes a lot of Morrigan's DI combos from Savior extremely difficult, if not impossible, to do. The cr. HP > DI link still works, but it's better as a standalone sequence in this game or when used in a shorter combo such as cr. LK, cr. HP > DI. The pushback makes it insanely difficult to connect during longer combos.

- The presence of Shell Kick makes Morrigan's air game fairly different. Unlike Savior, Hunter features air links as opposed to air chains. Morrigan, however, is one of the few characters who can air chain since she can cancel into Shell Kick off of her air LP, LK, MP, and MK. This makes transitioning from the air to the ground mid-combo quite easy, although timing the link after the Shell Kick can be tricky and requires some practice to get consistently.

- Shell Kick is also a helpful tool in controlling the air. Due to how long the move is out, it allows you to put up a wall of air defense if you anticipate your opponent's incoming attack. The move is pretty high priority too, so it will beat a fair amount of stuff.

- Another wonderful thing about Shell Kick is that canceling into it off of her air normals gives her frame advantage. Granted, you're seriously risking a GC from your opponent by doing this, but it's a risk worth taking IMO (especially if your opponent has a really bad GC). Ordinarily, she risks being thrown if one of her air normals is blocked, but canceling into Shell Kick allows her to maintain momentum and go directly into her mixup game.

- The input for air Soul Fists is different. Instead of a standard QCF motion in the air, it's a QCF motion that starts on up and goes forward. In keyboard notation, it would be 896 as opposed to the traditional 236.

- The input for her vertical dash is different. Instead of just holding up while dashing, you need to hold down LK and THEN dash. I have no idea why they chose to do it this way, but whatever.

- Air MP is super high priority and is a fantastic air to air move. Air MK and Shell Kick are her go-to crossups. Air LP is great for dash pressure, and when canceled into Shell Kick can lead to chain or DI combos for solid damage.

- Morrigan's dash behaves a bit differently in Hunter. In Savior, dashing into someone will cause Morrigan to run into them and slowly fly up until she passes over them. In Hunter, she dashes right through them. This allows you to do some pretty crazy crossups with the DI.

Hitboxes

All of Morrigan's hitbox info can be found here: http://vampire-hunter.net/strategy_mori.shtml

Note that for whatever reason, all of the frame data that's listed on this site is 1 frame faster than the data that's listed here. I'm not quite sure why that's the case, but the data here is taken from a reputable source, so I'm inclined to say it's more correct.

Normals

Close

- cl. LP (6 frames, +5 on hit, +3 on block, 3 dmg. Whiffs on crouching opponent. Surprisingly effective against jump ins.)

- cl. MP (7 frames, -6 on hit, -8 on block, 13 dmg. Probably her worst normal. Never use.)

- cl. HP (7 frames, -4 on hit, -6 on block, 15 dmg. A decent anti air move. Pretty powerful option select in the corner if you're attempting to go for a throw.)

- cl. LK (7 frames, +5 on hit, +3 on block, 4 dmg. Must be blocked low.)

- cl. MK (7 frames, +4 on hit, +2 on block, 14 dmg. Outstanding poke. Best used for poking at close range.)

- cl. HK (9 frames, -6 on hit, -8 on block, 20 dmg. Kinda meh. Be prepared to cancel into DI regardless of if it's blocked or not.)

Standing

- LP (6 frames, +5 on hit, +3 on block, 3 dmg. Whiffs on crouching. Same as cl. LP, but with hair.)

- MP (7 frames, +3 on hit, +1 on block, 13 dmg. Her best poke by far. The range and priority on this move is too good. Abuse, abuse, abuse.)

- HP (10 frames, -2 on hit, -4 on block, 17 dmg. Good for catching a backdashing opponent or punishing, but not much else.)

- LK (7 frames, +5 on hit, +3 on block, 4 dmg. Hits low. Identical to cl. LK.)

- MK (7 frames, +4 on hit, +2 on block, 14 dmg. Great poke, but not as good as s. MP due to the shorter range. It's identical to cl. MK, and that's where it's most useful.)

- HK (12 frames, -7 on hit, -9 on block, 17 dmg. An okay anti air. Must be used early due to it's craptastic speed. Also, doesn't cover the top half of the screen very well.)

Crouching

- cr. LP (6 frames, +6 on hit, +4 on block, 6 dmg. Chains into itself and can cancel into specials/DI. Great for pressuring slower characters like Anak, Phobos, and Victor.)

- cr. MP (7 frames, -2 on hit, -4 on block, 13 dmg. A really meh move. I'd generally avoid it since its range is poor and it's minus on hit.)

- cr. HP (10 frames, 0 on hit, -2 on block, 15 dmg. A solid situational move. Can be linked into DI and has good range. Be aware of the startup time.)

- cr. LK (6 frames, +5 on hit, +3 on block, 5 dmg. Good combo starter.)

- cr. MK (7 frames, +4 on hit, +2 on block, 14 dmg. Her best crouching poke. Effective in footsie wars.)

- cr. HK (9 frames, KD on hit, -7 on block, 16 dmg. The sweep. On its own it's nothing to phone home about, but it can be made safe if used at the end of longer block strings due to the pushback.)

The rest will be coming soon.

Combos

- cr. LK, cr. MP, cr. MK, cr. HK Standard BnB knockdown combo. You can substitute cr. HK with cr. HP if you don't want to knock the opponent down for whatever reason.

- cr. LK, cr. HP > DI Basic Illusion combo. Note that when facing Lei Lei, you can add a cr. MK before the cr. HP and it will all still connect because she's a fatty.

- j. MP, Shell Kick, cr. LK, cr. MK, cr. HP Basic combo off of the dash. This is just a starting point. There are tons of variations of this combo that are more effective. Mess around with it.

- j. MP, Shell Kick, s. LP (or LK depending on how you buffer) > DI Standard Illusion combo off of a dash.

- j. LP, j. LK > DI If you struggle with the Shell Kick DI combo, this is a nice alternative. The key to getting the j. LK to come out is to buffer the DI slower than you think you need to. One of Morri's training exercises in DSR covers this.

More stuff coming soon!

She has low stamina in Hunter too. However it should be noted that Hunter only has 3 stamina classes as opposed to Savior's 5.

You got the list of the Hunter stamina classes? I've seen Savior's.

You got the list of the Hunter stamina classes? I've seen Savior's.

I'm not 100% positive and it's been a super long time since I've seen it, but I'm pretty sure it went like this:

LOW: Morrigan, Felicia, Pyron

HIGH: Victor, Sasquatch, Anakaris

MID: Demitri, Lei Lei, Phobos, Donovan, Zabel, Aulbath

I didn't list Bish and Talbain because I really don't remember where they go. Bish was either mid or high, Talbain was either mid or low.

Been taking longer than I thought to post this stuff. Went and added her crouching normals and put the damage values for everything so far. Next are the air normals, ES, and EX moves.