Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ludwig van

[P4A] Naoto Shirogane - To burst or not to burst: choosing when to burst w/ Naoto

Everyone in P4U has the options of blue bursting, gold bursting, and OMBing, however, I'd argue that the decision of which burst to use affects Naoto more than any other character. Let's just jump straight into the pros and cons of each option, shall we?

Blue Busting

Pros

• Can help make up for Naoto's generally poor defensive tools, and help deal w/ her low health rating.
  • Gives you space to set traps/zone/ect.

Cons
    • Can be baited and punished.
    • You lose potential damage/meter.

Gold Bursting
      Pros
      • If it connects, you have plenty of meter to spare which can be used for SMPs, IKs, dead angling, ect.
      • Using burst this way takes less time for your burst to refill.

Cons

• It can be blocked. (This, however, can lead to you getting some pressure started)
        • Loss of a defensive tool that could otherwise compensate for low health.
        • OMBing

Pros

[*]Damaging combos. This can lead to a variety of SMP options (some meterless) depending on the starter.

Cons

[*]If the combo doesn't kill/the opponent bursts, you have 1 less defensive tool until it recharges.

So with those pros/cons listed, when do you burst w/ Naoto and why?

I'm not sure if you could consider this a pro for Gold Bursting but even if your Gold Burst misses, the Burst meter will only go down to 25% as opposed to 0% when Blue Bursting. I've been Gold Bursting more simply due to that fact.

I usually blue burst after awakening and having tons of meter, but only if I'm in a really tight spot.

If I spend all of my resources, I risk a Gold Burst on wakeup, or after IAD crossup.

\\How you burst with Naoto depends on TONS of things like what character you are fighting, the pace of the match, meter, the opponent's burst, etc. I can't really say that there is a right or wrong use of Naoto's burst as all three bursts are very important to her game plan. But, here are my thoughts and approach to using my burst in a match:

-I will blue burst fairly early against characters I am confident I can run away from or keep out in general. Labrys, Akihiko, and Chie are obvious examples. Depending on competency of the player's ability to do high damage combos/confirm everything, I'd be willing to blue burst just for the sake of avoiding a knockdown or being put into the corner.

-I will gold burst if the opponent does not have their burst or if the opponent is being too offensive. If I need to make a comeback and have no metter, I'll be looking to land one of these if I have my burst. Not having a burst means that they are at risk of getting hit and SMP'd real fast, especially if they are reckless. If they are too offensive/autopiloting, that means that they probably won't be putting much though into blocking so they'll be pretty vulnerable to getting hit by a gold burst.

-OMB is reserved for D-trap confirms, confirming random hits vs a burstless opponent, and Silence SMPs. This is a purely offensive burst, and this can be ridiculously scary for your opponent if you know your combos. I've robbed my friends after getting bodied by them for the majority of the round by going for a Silence SMP using an OMB. OMB can put you back in the game if used correctly, or just flat out end a match before it actually gets started if your opponent doesn't have their burst for the second round.

My burst usage revolves around how well I'm playing, and what do I need the most in the moment. If I need an extra chance by saving myself from a lethal combo or to stop an opponent from taking control of the pace of the match at the start, i'll blue burst. If I need to run it back and I'm on my heels at the moment, I'll gold burst. If I have the advantage and I get that hit I need, I'm going to OMB to end the match and not give my opponent a chance to retaliate.