Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Psykotik

[CSE/CP] Netplay and other Carl-related videos (Critiques and other forms of discussion are welcome)

BBCP_Header_Critique_Thread.png

In this thread, feel free to post any random videos related to Carl and provide critiques to anybody asking for them. Unlike the JP match video thread, discussion that is related to the videos will be allowed in this thread.

What should go in this thread:
- Netplay/low-level casual videos
- Any weird/random Carl-related video (glitches, "highlight videos", etc.)
- Critiques

What should go into the other video thread:
- High-level Carl videos
- Combo videos
- Tutorials
- Other helpful Carl resources

Have at it, people.

I don't really have any recent footage of myself. Just some really old tournament stuff and some stream archives of super casual stuff.

I've only been able to watch part 1 of your matches so far and I'll need to watch the rest later but I've come up with some words:

1:04... I would have prefered a corner combo into more corner pressure as opposed to the side swap into sandwich combo. There's no real benefit to a sandwich over a corner situation when the opponent is in the air, it actually makes it harder to oki because you have to cover more roll area on wakeup

1:45... I love these mixups, this or empty jump low is a great way to open people up in the corner

1:58... be careful with vivace against Rachel. Most of her good pokes will hit you out of even the B version. It's tempting because of all the projectiles but it's a big read. I feel like she suffers more from the super jump + airdash escape more than any grounded escape

Really nice combo at 2:44 (except the drop at 3 :P)

3:43... I'm not sure on the 5C here, it was very dangerous with the pumpkin hanging around and 5C isn't enough to kill George so the risk/reward was iffy.

4:40... I'm thinking you could have thrown her out of that TD.

6:24... good awareness of Ada HP

6:52... this looks like the B version of vivace. Definitely use A at this range considering Rachel's recovery from the the projectile was so quick. There's a lot more of this later.

11:04... why didn't you use my double unblockable setup? Aside from the fact that Ada had no HP left and the timing is crazy, even offline :P

12:52... I like it. Shame about the no tech though

15:57: you can use j.2C Allecancel to 1hko the frog

17:50... a bit of a wonky combo, using 8D so early and all. I'd generally go into 6D 5C j.B j.C Brio j.2C Allegretto 8D or something.

18:30... Rachel has some odd timing on her when it comes to j.B j.2C j.B dj.B etc, try to delay the first j.B so you can get above her

21:36... I don't know if I like this burst. If you were really set on winning this round you should have bursted at the start of the combo. You don't gain a lot from the current burst, just the pushback and escape from oki but then you're back in a neutral game where Rachel has the life lead.

22:17... I prefer doing 5C 623C RC after the j.B/3D unblockable. It lets you go back into the whole air dash j.A j.B j.A j.2C j.A j.A j.B+3D. Not so much of a problem against Rachel because she doesn't really have a DP to get out of it.

34:41... good hit confirm but then followed by an attempt to blue beat combo which played a big part in you getting gold burst punished.

Just in general (no timestamp)

I'm not a big fan of 6B in block strings. Purely because you don't really have many meterless options to mix people up with. It can be used in some cases to move you close enough for vivace A to cross up and hit with Ada but other than that, it's just to gatling into 6C overhead which becomes pretty obvious before long.

In some cases you can use it as a frame trap. I had a friend of mine watching for delays after 5B then doing Hakumen's 6D counter to beat out the air dash j.2C cross up which was what I was doing often from that position. Then I started mixing it up with 5B delay 6B to get the CH low.

Be more dirty with your wake-up oki.

I liked the crossunder attempts. One of them got blocked so next time you can try 663A]D[ 236A to get the cross back to the same side and hit with 3D

Mid screen I like to end in j.C and do a delayed 3D to beat no tech and roll towards Ada and also put quick tech in block stun. At the same time I'll do 2B 5B to catch forward rolls or continue pressure. If 2B hits, 5B comes out and you can combo as you like, if not then 5B wont come out and you can go into pressure. If 3D hits you can either IAD allecan or just 5C for a combo. It beats a bunch of options.

Try to finish combos with a corner knockdown too. It lessens your left/right mixup game but really helps your high/low, throws and covering escapes.

Be careful with counter assaults. I think you got punished twice. I believe you can do 6ABD to cover yourself with 6D or 6AB and quickly 41236D.

That's it for now I think.

A FT10 with Carl and Rachel is torture to watch

Please upload a set with Jin! Omg so much action

I should upload my vids but they're very very old and my opponents were either new (casual) or using subs. Also this was online so derping played a big role in my gameplay. I need to upload more vids because right now it just looked like I only upload wins .__. Probably with CP though unless, somebody wants a specific match up covered-----> then message!

I like criticism too :v:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU0GO-WtCKE Carl x Mu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QJ0bAtHAiI Carl x Rachel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt1ehVuNNGs Carl x Jin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufihqAPClmU Carl x Hakuman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHideoFAtmY Carl x Relius

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0goel6K9g_A Carl x Hazama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4m2yldWYag Carl x Valk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFwuR5zUJT0 Carl x tsubaki

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8igftUzXPU Carl x platinum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYUao5j3saw Carl x Lambda

Since I'm in actual need for improvement I should upload a few of mine, but they're on vita so the quality would be crap xD; i have one old video uploaded, but I sorta lag abused a mu for a fake clap loop... in other words, they cant tech my purple air grabs lol

I'm not super familiar with the Rachel match stuff so I definitely screwed up here and there due to inexperience. The Vivaces and some of my bursts were just plain poor decision making on my part though.

Really nice combo at 2:44 (except the drop at 3 :P)

This was not actually a drop. I was unsure if j.2C, allegretto 8D into Fermata would have worked at this point (I don't know my high-proration enders, yeah I'm a fraud lol) and I wasn't sure if 3C into Gear would've killed at the time so I opted for 3C into Fuoco Oki since I had a feeling TD was more likely to e-tech a 3C (and therefore eat my oki) than Gears into 8D. I went for this since I'm not particularly good at catching rolls.

(In retrospect, I probably could've killed with that combo :P)

15:57: you can use j.2C Allecancel to 1hko the frog

18:30... Rachel has some odd timing on her when it comes to j.B j.2C j.B dj.B etc, try to delay the first j.B so you can get above her

I didn't know about this, thanks!

I'm not a big fan of 6B in block strings. Purely because you don't really have many meterless options to mix people up with. It can be used in some cases to move you close enough for vivace A to cross up and hit with Ada but other than that, it's just to gatling into 6C overhead which becomes pretty obvious before long.

In some cases you can use it as a frame trap. I had a friend of mine watching for delays after 5B then doing Hakumen's 6D counter to beat out the air dash j.2C cross up which was what I was doing often from that position. Then I started mixing it up with 5B delay 6B to get the CH low.

I'm really hoping I can break my habit of auto-piloting into 6B before NEC happens. 3 years of auto-piloting Carl pressure will do this to you :<

I liked the crossunder attempts. One of them got blocked so next time you can try 663A]D[ 236A to get the cross back to the same side and hit with 3D

This sounds so dirty, I should definitely try it at some point.

Even though I've definitely got some kinks to work out in my playing, I'm actually relatively happy with how I played in this set, as odd as it sounds. I've come a long way from when I first started with this character and me not getting 10-0'd by a strong player like TD is definitely a sign of progress. With that said, I clearly still have a long road ahead of me lol. I appreciate your advice Pen, it'll definitely help me improve my game.

@Sinder

Oh god these videos are so old >___>

Just as general advise you need to go less ham or a more calculated form of ham.

Essentially you're going in with some air dashes and normals that I wouldn't really recommend. That's something that develops in time, you just need to consider at every point "Would he be able to anti-air me?" if yes, then don't do it. Ignore your opponent's skills and think whether it's possible to anti-air you, not whether he will.

Optimal combos into oki are what you need when you're on the offense. I saw a bunch of combos end about 1-2k shorter than they could have gone and it didn't seem to be to conserve Ada meter. Get your 3-4k then end in 8D, 3C or j.C.

I also saw a lot of 5B 6B 6C in pressure and combos. As I've mentioned above, it's predictable after a while for pressure.

In combos, 6C has SMP properties and pretty much kills a combo when it's done more than once.

I don't want to give too much specific advise because god knows how much you've advanced in the year+ since those videos were uploaded.

@Psykotik

This was not actually a drop. I was unsure if j.2C, allegretto 8D into Fermata would have worked at this point (I don't know my high-proration enders, yeah I'm a fraud lol) and I wasn't sure if 3C into Gear would've killed at the time so I opted for 3C into Fuoco Oki since I had a feeling TD was more likely to e-tech a 3C (and therefore eat my oki) than Gears into 8D. I went for this since I'm not particularly good at catching rolls.

Sorry, by 3 I meant hit 3, not 3:00. You just missed the timing on a j.2C and the combo blue beated

I'm really hoping I can break my habit of auto-piloting into 6B before NEC happens. 3 years of auto-piloting Carl pressure will do this to you :<

It's something I used to do faaaar too often. Now everybody I play with just knows to block high after 6B or they're at least looking for the overhead there. I spent a good 3 days worth of 6 hours each in training mode to break myself out of the habit. I've only been playing BB since after Extend was released though so I don't know how deep the habit was yet.

Even though I've definitely got some kinks to work out in my playing, I'm actually relatively happy with how I played in this set, as odd as it sounds. I've come a long way from when I first started with this character and me not getting 10-0'd by a strong player like TD is definitely a sign of progress. With that said, I clearly still have a long road ahead of me lol. I appreciate your advice Pen, it'll definitely help me improve my game.

Good to know I'm helping out. Let me know if you (or anyone) needs anything. PMs are fine

I was meanin to upload like 3 since these are one match videos, but it takes too long to upload on my phone x.x sorry about the quality btw, I don't have an alternate method of recording vita xD;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HsInkCKwok&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Anything that looks blatantly stupid might be because of lag, but I at least wanted someone to tell me how bad I'm screwin up. And combo wise, I already know to work on it. I just dont trust myself to do more complicated stuff

I was meanin to upload like 3 since these are one match videos, but it takes too long to upload on my phone x.x sorry about the quality btw, I don't have an alternate method of recording vita xD;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HsInkCKwok&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Anything that looks blatantly stupid might be because of lag, but I at least wanted someone to tell me how bad I'm screwin up. And combo wise, I already know to work on it. I just dont trust myself to do more complicated stuff

Definitely combos.

I noticed you tried to set up an unblockable in there (1:05). Your best bet for a block string into that is 5A 2A 5A 2A 2B]D[ 5B 6B (2D hits)

You can omit as many of the 5As or 2As as you want. Try to delay 5B 6B a little so it's still a decently tight block string but so it lines up with 2D.

The raw 5C into 623C on block around 1:08 was kinda not cool. Not enough time to hit confirm into the unsafe 623C

Also as mentioned to others, using 6B on block is generally a bad idea unless you're using it for something specific

Yeah, I've only been playin Carl for about 6 months with about a year and a half total experience. I just don't know what to do after 5B in blockstrings Dx if it didn't gatling from pressing 5B twice, I'd probably use it a lot less since 6B is probably my least used command in total. Also netplays a mess xD but thank you, I'll definitely work on the combos

I know the feeling.

Generally from 5B it depends on whether you're in CON or NCO (NCO applies to CNO as well).

From CON you can do 5B (2B) 5C 6D 236A for more pressure or you can do 5B 4D 6B 236A for the cross up. I recommend the IAD j.2C crossup if the mixup gets blocked to go back into CON.

From CNO I'll either go 5B IAD j.2C crossup or 6D 236A to go into CON and mix up from there.

I've only been playing for just over a year but I've been playing Carl the whole time. 5B 5B is a tough habit to kick unfortunately.

Sorry for the double post D:

I feel like this classes as "other Carl-related video"

I made a video with some combos into astral... enjoy?

and another with some combos starting in Allegretto. Mostly solo

http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby/b/498135723

Overall, I probably need to stop jumping in recklessly and letting Ada die. Also could work on hit-confirming, not dropping combos, and optimizing them. Any other glaring things I should work on? I know bad Carls can be hard to watch so thanks for any feedback.

First Match 12:06--20:35

I should've played more patiently. Steins do negligible (no?) chip damage and blocking a fully-charged one only gives Mu 2-3 heat. No need to fight through that mess while Nirvana is dead/recharging.

"Finest" moments:

~15:40... 49 heat meant no Fermata ender. =(

~17:25... Questionable Burst into full-screen CT.

~18:50... Groan....

Second Match 27:15--34:20

Just a poor showing in general. My jump-happy tendency got blown up by his 2C (FC).

"Finest" moments:

~27:57-28:35... Beautiful display of 22]D['s. :vbang:

~31:25... 1.1K punish. Really, I like sitting on 100 meter. >_>

~34:14... I should've seen that coming.

Bonus video. Me, 2 months ago. LOLOLOLOLOL

http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby/b/483824516

Match 1

12:12 - Vivace is not the best opening against Mu as she can easily punish it if she calls you out. Fortunately, Kirah did something else so you got away with it.

12:15 - You were at the corner so you could have done 2A > 5B > 6B > 2C wallbounce for an extended combo, giving you more time to call Ada and set up oki. With that said, cantabile's not a bad way to end

12:18 - Not sure what the rising j.B was for Mu could have potentially got out there

12:25 - Good CT. You could have confirmed into something better though (2B > 5B > 5C > 623C > 623D > stuff)

12:37 - Very nice confirm. You adapted your confirm to use the incoming volante, which is really smart. You could have killed though if you did Volante > 5C > j.B > j.214C > RC > airdash > j.B > j.C

12:54, 13:14 - These were good moves; fullscreen Brio can catch your opponent if they get too antsy w/the doll behind them (I also like how you confirmed the Brio into j.C knockdown)

13:25 - I felt that you might have been able to punish laser call w/Brio? This also happens at 13:51.

14:15 - Good Brio

14:50 - IBed her 3C into escape = good decision. Mu can't continue her pressure from 3C other than jump cancelling it into stuff or sword of decimation.

15:10 - Mu's air normals are way better than Carl's so it's usually not a good idea to challenge her in the air like you did there

15:45 - Gotta respect that 2C. If you run out of movement options in the air while Mu's on the block, don't swing on the way down since she'll just AA you, just block.

18:30 - You got a bit greedy in the corner against Mu and burned the last of your doll meter, which could have lost you the round. Kirah didn't go in for some reason even though he didn't have a reason not to so you got lucky he didn't.

18:52 - No followup to the throw? (Input error?)

18:59 - He punished your jumpin again. Don't go in on a character with good normals like Mu without the doll covering you.

19:06 - Good fuoco. You even capitalized on him and probably would have killed him if he didn't burst.

19:10 - Good CA. Remember that you can control Ada during your CA (Fuoco + CA is dumb lol)

20:05 - You could've tried to throw him as he landed.

General - You need to abuse Ada more in neutral, Mu got away with some things that Ada could've punished her for. You made some very good moves using her (Brio after burst) but you tried to go in on Mu without Ada, which simply doesn't work against a character with strong normals + neutral tools like Mu. Your combo selection definitely could've been better and your oki + setups could've have been executed more cleanly. With that said, you didn't do too badly and made some very smart decisions. The match could've been yours if things went a little differently.

Match 2

27:46 - I don't agree with this CT. The combo was heavily prorated at that point so you didn't get that much out of it.

28:58 - Nice Brio. You didn't capitalize of it at all though, even a solo combo's better than nothing ;-;

29:03 - Another good Brio. You were too far to convert this one so it couldn't be helped.

29:08 - You should have did the 2C wallbounce instead of burning out Ada; that would have given you time to let Ada recharge during your combo. Honestly, I think this decision cost you the game since you had everything else going for you up until this point.

30:16 - 30:22 - Very nice defense. You even vivaced at the right time to escape his pressure.

30:25 - Good block on the CA. Should have used the 2C wallbounce though

32:59 - Another good Brio. Even though Elochai blocked it, it trapped him there and alllowed you to start your offence.

33:21, 33:29 - It looked like you could have hit Ignis there.

34:19 - OMG that really, really sucks lol

General - There were definitely a lot of chances for you to hit Ignis. Doing so disables her for a bit, weakening Relius' neutral significantly. Like the last match, your offense needs work and you're not using Ada enough to get in. Your blocking against Relius was very good though.

Tl;dr

- Your combos could be better in terms of damage and resource efficiency.

- You have an idea of how to abuse Nirvana in neutral but you were trying to get in without her too many times. You need to use Ada to make them block so you can get in safely.

- You should hide behind Ada more behind neutral. Stay on the ground and AA them if they try to IAD past Ada.

- Pressure + oki could've been tighter/cleaner

- Use the 2C wallbounce corner solo combo to let Nirvana recharge a bit.

Hi there, I picked up Carl recently and would love some critique as I haven't had any yet, so I got a few recent, local Danisen league vids. I'd really appreciate some input!

vs Ragna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTKiH6rnCCA&list=PLxVJvRqHAAm8N9F3DhEEpAcINdYnL2iyi&index=4

vs Hakumen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyvjKuoRvwg&list=PLxVJvRqHAAm8N9F3DhEEpAcINdYnL2iyi&index=7

vs Izayoi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0ZJAqcQS0Y&list=PLxVJvRqHAAm8N9F3DhEEpAcINdYnL2iyi&index=9

Hi there, I picked up Carl recently and would love some critique as I haven't had any yet, so I got a few recent, local Danisen league vids. I'd really appreciate some input!

vs Ragna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTKiH6rnCCA&list=PLxVJvRqHAAm8N9F3DhEEpAcINdYnL2iyi&index=4

vs Hakumen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyvjKuoRvwg&list=PLxVJvRqHAAm8N9F3DhEEpAcINdYnL2iyi&index=7

vs Izayoi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0ZJAqcQS0Y&list=PLxVJvRqHAAm8N9F3DhEEpAcINdYnL2iyi&index=9

Ehhm, for the most part your playstyle is fine. You could better optimize combo's, but thats something that comes with time. Its very difficult to say, because your opponents aren't on the same skill level as you. They keep waking up, and like, not blocking. So clearly your oki is decent. Fight someone way better than you, it makes all of your flaws seem more prominent. That way you will know what you need to work.

As it stands, because they are getting hit by basic textbook stuff, you dont need to do anything flashy. So for us as critics its difficult to differentiate what you know but choose not to use vs what you just dont know.

Hey guys, after having a bit of a character crisis since CP came out I've decided to focus mostly on Carl.

Here's a FT5 I played with a friend of mine this past weekend, any critiques or tips would be very much appreciated, really want to level up my Carl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmYjRT6uZu4

Thanks!

Hey guys, after having a bit of a character crisis since CP came out I've decided to focus mostly on Carl.

Here's a FT5 I played with a friend of mine this past weekend, any critiques or tips would be very much appreciated, really want to level up my Carl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmYjRT6uZu4

Thanks!

Game 1: You had plenty of options to preform mixup in the corner but just did mids, try avoiding using 5c as a string ender in the corner. Its much more helpful to use 6b>6a>Random ada attack> empty jump/IAd/crossup/ fuzzy shenanigans which are very ambiguous and difficult to block for the most part. You never really did any solo 2c combos in the corner even though the opprotunity presented itself several times. You combo optimization could have also been better but thats like whatever, it comes with time. You should also use more ada oki options other then fucco.

Kinda noticed the same problems through the vid

GG's though.

~Shiro

Try not to go out in front too much without cover as you can punished for it like you were in 6:24.

As for your offense, Akira basically covered almost every issue I could've thought of in his post. 5C jump cancel into IAD + doll move is a good option if you're a bit far from your opponent but if you're close enough, the 6B>6A gatling is also a viable option to mix up your pressure. I noticed that you ended your knockdowns with oki that's not reversal safe and required you to hard bait Makoto's DP. Volante oki works in the corner as reversal-safe oki that'll also catch rolls. Some of your pressure strings and mixups had very noticeable holes (5:06 and 15:32 for example) that would have allowed your opponent to mash or jump out. Fortunately, your opponent respected you enough to let you get away with that, among other things.

With that said, this is a pretty solid bit of Carl play. Your neutral seemed alright and some of your mixups were quite nice such as the one on 11:52 (I'm stealing that btw lol). Your biggest problems right now (combos and offense) are things that'll fix itself with time.

Thanks a lot for the tips. I will def start using 6B > 6A more I never really think to use 6A except as antiair. I was looking at your YT channel last night psykotik and the fuzzy video had some super cool stuff I'm going to try. Also thanks for bringing up the solo 2C combos, I def need to use that more, one of my problems is I'm not more conscious of my Ada meter

Thanks a lot for the tips. I will def start using 6B > 6A more I never really think to use 6A except as antiair. I was looking at your YT channel last night psykotik and the fuzzy video had some super cool stuff I'm going to try. Also thanks for bringing up the solo 2C combos, I def need to use that more, one of my problems is I'm not more conscious of my Ada meter

Just to point out, this is a good gatling, but if your opponent is crouching or barrier blocking it will whiff and leave you vulnerable

I highly suggest using this only in C-O-N since ada can cover the whiff. Do not do it solo as higher level players usually block low if Carl is by himself (pretty much how to blow up Carls that aren't aware of this)