Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hecatom

Tekken Revolution, Free to Play game exclussive for PS3

This just looks like a demo version of Tag 2 with the Snow Castle's graphics changed to resemble the T5 version (Cathedral). .

Maybe this is what pissed Harada off and made him go "missing".

I don't think that anyone who owns Tag 2 should care about this unless the character balance is incredibly different. Then again what do I know.

>FTP

Oh great, time for micro-transactions while fighting.

"You must pay 3 dollars to use this move in a match"

Maybe this is what pissed Harada off and made him go "missing".

Hadn't heard about this. Could you please elaborate?

Full trailer for Tekken Revolution is here:

Looks interesting, but I'm not making any judgments about it until they announce more details (or until it comes out I guess, since it hits in like three days). It looks like it's just a free version of Tag 2 with only 1v1 fights(?) and customizable stat increases for online play. Hardly revolutionary, if you ask me. But hey, a free game is a free game.

Well they've definitely added some new animations on attacks (like blurring might represent crush attacks perhaps)? I won't get too excited over it, but I really want them to finally go back to a faster paced-Tekken like Tekken 5DR. And perhaps design the game closer to how DR was played as well.

I won't get too excited over it, but I really want them to finally go back to a faster paced-Tekken like Tekken 5DR.

DR:Online is still the best game in the series IMO. Too bad the community for that one is virtually nonexistent these days...

On Revolution, some sources are reporting the game with initially come with eight playable characters: Kazuya, Paul, Asuka, Marshall Law, King, Jack-6, Lars, and Lili. Bit of a step back from the 50+ we had in Tag 2... More characters will likely be added later, but no word on whether or not they'll be free. I guess this is a bit of an experiment for Namco to see how people like the free-to-play model. :I:

Having TTT2, I don't see why this could be relevant.

Not in a "serious" way, I mean. That stats thing is like... dunno, makes no sense to me.

The game also features new bone-crunching Special Arts and Critical Arts moves designed to help newcomers deliver hard-hitting attacks and advanced players to employ new strategies with their favorite fighters.

For the first time in TEKKEN history players will be able to level-up their characters, increasing three key attributes; Strength, Endurance and Vigor, to create a combatant tuned to individual play styles. Develop a defensive tank character with high HP to withstand knockout blows while offense focused players can create a damage-inflicting character with low health but high critical hit rates to devastate opponents with a flurry of attacks

I didn't ask for this...

Hadn't heard about this. Could you please elaborate?

Reportedly, Harada was heard shouting obscenities during a meeting then stormed out of Namco's offices one day. He hadn't come back for a while so people assumed he went off the grid, but he was proven to be perfectly fine when his Steam account was discovered to be active during that time.

He came back recently and, in typical Harada fashion (read: like a boss), he responded to questions regarding why 360 isn't getting this new game with "Ask Microsoft." Which basically means "Microsoft said no".

I didn't ask for this...

Wait Tekken with super moves? I kind of like this.

Oh God they're turning Tekken into Soul Calibur 5.

It's because people don't know what the exciting part of the game is without a big flashy thing on the screen to tell them that someone just got ****ed. Also, people like to level up shit because they can put lots of time into having passive abilities win for them instead of having to learn to do anything.

If they want people that aren't Tekken fans to give them money for a new "Tekken", this is a great idea.

:vbang:

If they want people that aren't Tekken fans to give them money for a new "Tekken", this is a great idea.

But... the game is free. :?:

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say the higher-ups at Namco got interested in the free-to-play game model and wanted to put out an experimental title to test the waters. They most likely went with Tekken with because A) most of the content is already there, and B) the franchise has some serious selling power thanks to its name alone.

Or maybe they were hoping this would generate some extra sales for Tag 2 and get more people hyped for Tekken X SF. I have no idea why game companies do most of the things they do.

But... the game is free. :?:

free to play =/= "free"

The ENTIRE point of any f2p game is to make a resource light title with a high content value but locking said content behind arbitrary time sink barriers with hopes of enticing the player to spend real money through shortcuts [which "casual" users will be all too eager to jump on]. This can be achieved by having "freemium" content that gives players willing to [literally] invest into the title a clear advantage, limiting the play time or options of the player but opening them up [slightly] should they plop down the cash, or the worst offender of all being a huge grind fest that makes the Disgaea games look like leisurely jogs.

If I had to wager a guess, I'd say the higher-ups at Namco got interested in the free-to-play game model and wanted to put out an experimental title to test the waters. They most likely went with Tekken with because A) most of the content is already there, and B) the franchise has some serious selling power thanks to its name alone.

They already had the test; Tekken Card Tournament. Which recently hit 3million users, if 3million will sink time [and I bet no small amount of coin] into a [quite honestly bad] card game, surely the same will happen in a more "advance" genre.

Or maybe they were hoping this would generate some extra sales for Tag 2 and get more people hyped for Tekken X SF. I have no idea why game companies do most of the things they do.

The sales for Tag 2 are irrelevant now, it's passed its full MSRP tag, so they'd only get drops in the well [nice but hardly worth making a huge campaign of things]. And if they want to hype of TxSF then they should...oh I dunno...WORK ON THE DAMN GAME! Although if the PR Release was right about supers being added into this game [why?] I could see this being a testing ground for TxSF ideas.

That being said, I will try the game out but just from the growth stats alone I know it can't end well...but I'll see how they're handling the f2p model [which was awful in Card Tournament, so I'm not too optimistic. Honestly I think Teccoei is doing it right, or at least more correctly, with DoA5U. Making f2p an option, not the only choice, and also making it little more than a glorified demo.]. Now if you'll excuse me, back to Tag 2.

Early details (game releasing tomorrow) from Sp00ky

• Bound (!) properties removed
  • Some moves have frames of invincibility (!) and largely punishable on block
  • No local vs (?) in the E3 build
  • New animations for some attacks and movements
  • You accumulate coins, used to purchase characters in costumes, through playing [or you can buy - :v: - them, no price listed]

DR:Online is still the best game in the series IMO. Too bad the community for that one is virtually nonexistent these days...

THIS...seriously.

I probably wouldn't even be in this scene if namco didn't ass up the transition from T5:DRO to T6.

So like the new OST and is it just me or are the graphics enhanced? Models seems crisper and the world "brighter" and it looks like the models have this weird filter on (which I like). Overall the game feels nice, I'm glad Special and Critical Arts aren't nearly as bad as they sounded in the PR release. CAs feels sort of gimmicky (random chance to deal more damage, yay?) but they make old moves look flashy lol I kind of like the invul frames on SAs and they're like SUPER punishable so they balance each other out. But what I really like about SA and CAs is how they're visually telegraphed, since they're pretty good moves, auto pilot players spam them and this makes them easier to look out for and recognize. I wouldn't mind them sticking around for T7.

The f2p model is kind of crummy since it controls your playing habits but it honestly replicates the experience of the arcades alot, with coins being consumed for each mode. Although I don't like that Battle coins are used up for EACH match (I had an 8 win streak and essentially had to stop playing because I was out of coins and losing meant not recovering a premium ticket; great for simulating the intensity of arcades, but now friends can't have long sessions, and since this game ONLY has netplay, that's kind of saddening).

The lack of a training mode is really disappointing (it's not like they couldn't have controlled that, tons of arcade games have training modes) and no offline VS is just sad.

Honestly it's a nice supplement to Tag 2, or at least it would've been if it were released as a true stand alone game (like may $10~20, include some of the missing features and it definitely could've stand on its own)

Kyo play Revo with me :v:

Meet me at the [virtua] arcade!

But i dun have ps3 with meh, JAM ;~;

(i may try for the lulz, though i will probably erase it 2 weeks later)

I'm at 9160 and only just recently unlocked a 2nd character [so it's probably 9k]...but the scary thing is...

I think they're limited AND random. Before I unlocked anyone there was a gift box, and even after getting 1 (Steve) there was still a box, after now getting my 2nd (Bryan) I no longer see the box... And I know for a fact Alisa can [could?] be unlocked as I saw it happening on stream and I've fought a few Alisa's online. If this is true, you only get a random 2 characters and only 10 in total, man, they better start pumping out updates because this is annoying and sad...which is too bad because I like the gameplay, just not this arcade sim f2p model.

And the sad thing is, just by playing this I'm supporting the model (anyone who downloaded it and touched it once is) and if devs see that they can get away with, it could potentially mean new practices which I do NOT want to embrace. There's a reason I bought a home console...