Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SolxBaiken

Killer Instinct (2013)

LOL @ Shadow Jago day 1 dlc. That additional characters bit bothers me. Now I'm scared that somebody of the core cast ain't gonna make it. Just another reason it's becoming harder and harder to be hype for this game without immense guilt.

Prepare to rage in 3 (this is a launch title), 2 (digital only), 1 (free-to-play model), 0 (Jago is the ONLY universally available character, with the remainder of the cast locked behind pay walls - no pricing yet)!

f2p is such a crap model for fighters, but with the success of MOBA games I fear them becoming the norm over the exception [at which point only DoA5U is doing it "right" by making f2p an option, and as such, more of a glorified demo]

This game is being developed by Double Helix Games. Considering their track record, this game is almost guaranteed to suck.

It took 6 pages but now the dev rants are coming. There's a reason why I specifically listed SH: Homecoming and FM: Evolved as their credits when mentioning Double Helix, as they seem to have a [bad] habit of twisting pre-established IPs and turning them on their heads, I didn't hate Homecoming and Evolved because they were "bad games" (at which they were completely "ok" titles) but because they were bad Silent Hill and Front Mission games (turning both a horror and strategy title into generic, Western action games to appeal to the average modern consumer)

That being said, I think this game has good chance at being good/fun since Rare is still overseeing development and they have a great hypeman and understander of fighters in FilthieRich working with them.

That is until you read the 1st part of this post (f2p) :v:

It took 6 pages but now the dev rants are coming. There's a reason why I specifically listed SH: Homecoming and FM: Evolved as their credits when mentioning Double Helix, as they seem to have a [bad] habit of twisting pre-established IPs and turning them on their heads, I didn't hate Homecoming and Evolved because they were "bad games" (at which they were completely "ok" titles) but because they were bad Silent Hill and Front Mission games (turning both a horror and strategy title into generic, Western action games to appeal to the average modern consumer)

I was moreso thinking the other shovelware they put out like G.I.Joe: Rise of Cobra, Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters and Battleship.

I was moreso thinking the other shovelware they put out like G.I.Joe: Rise of Cobra, Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters and Battleship.

All tie-in licensed games, which are inherently awful by nature due to the insane time constraints of pushing something out there to cross promote the movie.

Prepare to rage in 3 (this is a launch title), 2 (digital only), 1 (free-to-play model), 0 (Jago is the ONLY universally available character, with the remainder of the cast locked behind pay walls - no pricing yet)!

f2p is such a crap model for fighters, but with the success of MOBA games I fear them becoming the norm over the exception [at which point only DoA5U is doing it "right" by making f2p an option, and as such, more of a glorified demo]

Holy shit. It's like they're trying to kill this even harder than Banjo&Kazooie. If only Sony had owned Rare. :vbang:

Prepare to rage in 3 (this is a launch title), 2 (digital only), 1 (free-to-play model), 0 (Jago is the ONLY universally available character, with the remainder of the cast locked behind pay walls - no pricing yet)!:

Hahahaha, that's fucking hilarious. Thank you Micro$oft, for making this game completely tourney-unplayable.

Figured I'd post this here, Maximillian gives a fairly detailed breakdown of the game and his impressions so far (which are overwhelmingly positive). Whether you care or not is up to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6_Ob32JScw

More footage from E3 today at http://www.twitch.tv/madcatz @ 4:30pm EST

Most of the feedback i've heard from this are from nostalgia biased people, so...meh, not taking such opinions seriously.

Also, no Ken Lobb as the narrator. Fuck that

Ok it seems the f2p model wasn't clearly illustrated.

There will be a demo that has access to all modes (including netplay) but you can only play as Jago, but if you like the game you can purchase different DLC sets to gain more characters. No doubt this will cost more than just getting the full game but it's a better model than the original purposed idea.

So much misinformation.

1) It's a retail game with flat price for all content

2) It has a demo with Jago as free playable character for all modes, including single player and training and online, with option to buy seperate characters if you want just say Fulgore and no one else or upgrade to full version

3) It's not digital only. All games are digital day one, as is Killer Instinct. It has a boxed version.

4) It will have a season pass for DLC. Costumes mentioned. Possible classic costumes for the DLC. Maybe characters. Unclear. Sounds like MK9/Injustice model.

Ok it seems the f2p model wasn't clearly illustrated.

There will be a demo that has access to all modes (including netplay) but you can only play as Jago, but if you like the game you can purchase different DLC sets to gain more characters. No doubt this will cost more than just getting the full game but it's a better model than the original purposed idea.

This is a good business model as long as paying for the full package is along the lines of 60$. Unfortunately, as it stands now, any gamer with half a brain cell won't get a xbox one so this game won't be as popular as it should. Let's just hope microsoft realizes the backlash and bad press they are getting right now and change their business model, but i won't hold my breath. If i had microsoft shares, i'd sell them very quickly.

So much misinformation.

1) It's a retail game with flat price for all content

2) It has a demo with Jago as free playable character for all modes, including single player and training and online, with option to buy seperate characters if you want just say Fulgore and no one else or upgrade to full version

3) It's not digital only. All games are digital day one, as is Killer Instinct. It has a boxed version.

4) It will have a season pass for DLC. Costumes mentioned. Possible classic costumes for the DLC. Maybe characters. Unclear. Sounds like MK9/Injustice model.

Source, or i call this 'bullshit' :v:

So uh... not sure where to start. I didn't play the original KI, so keep that in mind when you read my post.

I performed better by randomly hitting buttons than by deliberately trying to zone, link shit by going light > medium > heavy, and do fundamental stuff. I never succeeded at one combo breaker after having the system thoroughly explained to me, but I saw tons of people getting it frequently by mashing buttons. It works like this:

Once you're getting hit, press both lights, mediums, or heavies as they hit you with a move of that attack level, and you break out. If you mistime it or guess the wrong buttons, you can't attempt it again for 3 seconds. That's it. The guy didn't tell me how big the success window was when I asked.

So... I'm assuming that once you've learned the animations for moves after playing this game a lot, you'll always be able to combo break heavies on reaction since they're somewhat slow.

Next is the combo system. I don't fully understand it, but it seems that off of a poke, you can link a string of a few normals together, at which point you have to do a special or the combo drops. Then, you can go back into normals, and then back into specials. Eventually you'll have to do the EX-specials or supers or whatever they are to keep the combo from dropping, but you can just keep going. Apparently they've reached combos over 120 hits in development. Anyway, you have to use a designated "ender" move, or some of the damage wont apply, so I guess combo breaking balances out the potentially 30+ second 50+% damage combos (I think I remember losing about 40% from some guy mashing at me and hitting about 20 times).

Again, I don't fully understand it, but that seems to be the gist of it.

Also, with that instinct mode, that Jango guy restores hp. Not sure if that's universal though.

Jago Unchained.

But yeah, I'm not super impressed by what I saw. The normal and special moves do almost no damage, so it seems like the entire game is about doing easy combos and rock-paper-scissoring your opponent, like a less broken Marvel. I'm hoping some of the new characters will have slightly less linear playstyles, but it's hard to know what to expect.

Oh yeah, I noticed the auto-correct window was pretty big. I buffered a DP on wakeup against a guy that jumped to cross me up, and the DP came out facing the other way and hit him anyway.

:psyduck:

Good news for the game, with the drm out of the picture now it will only depend on how awful or not the game ends being.

That of course if this doesn't end being a thing

http://www.warpzoned.com/2013/06/congressmen-propose-we-are-watching-you-act-an-anti-kinect-bill/

This is the main reason I would never buy an XB1, so I'm glad to see the government taking action. All of the DRM stuff and pricing doesn't bother me nearly as much as the knowledge that I have no privacy in my own home.

Is not subjective, fun is subjective, quality of the game, depth of the game are not.

HnK is a fun game, but is terrible in many ways to give you an example.