Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SoWL

ArcSys Voice Acting [This thread has rules now]

I, too, think that it's likely that if someone were to be new to Guilty Gear in playing Xrd, they probably would have little problems with the voices.

And, Slayer doesn't sound 17 at all. I don't get that. I also don't get people who say that Axl's accent is Austin Powers bad. Like..., really? I am friends with several English people (and a few Australian people). It's not that bad, y'all.

I just want to say that I'm seriously considering playing my Faust with the English dub. I never really cared about his JP voice, even though it improved a lot in Xrd, so it's not going to be that difficult for Kaiji to put up a better performance. 

Well, I got into the scene with BlazBlue and have only touched GG occasionally.  With that in mind; I think this dub sucks.  The voices don't fit half the characters and the lines are delivered awkwardly.

To anyone here that speaks Japanese, does the girl in May's intro really say "May, pick up some onions please."  Some of the lines in english are weird to me, although THIS could just be me getting used to what they say in Japanese.

Yeah, most of the dubs and the consequent subs are different than the original sentences pronounced in Japanese, but I guess that if you switch to the Japanese voices you'll be able to see the subs of what they are really saying in Japanese.

Yeah, most of the dubs and the consequent subs are different than the original sentences pronounced in Japanese, but I guess that if you switch to the Japanese voices you'll be able to see the subs of what they are really saying in Japanese.

If I switch to Japanese audio the translated line will still be "May, pick up some onions please"? But you're saying there will be another set of subs?

Pretty sure that's not the case, as subs usually depend on the version's primary language and can't be changed.

If I switch to Japanese audio the translated line will still be "May, pick up some onions please"? But you're saying there will be another set of subs?

I'm saying that since the subs if you're playing with the English voices are the same of what you're listening, it could be that if you switch to the Japanese voices you'll be able to see a proper translation (supposedly) of it with different subs.

For example, if I-No is saying in the Japanese voice "Don't get so full of yourself, you shit~~~~BIPPPPP! Let's play first", those will be the subs. While if in her dub is saying "Only a real bastard skips the foreplay. Can't you at least warm me up first?", subs are obviously going to be the same since that's what she's actually saying in English.

But hey, I'm saying this just as a possibility, I don't know if that's going to be the case or not.

Let's put it this way: if they could put the "Correct" translation in the game, why would they also include the "Incorrect" one?

I don't know, I'm just asking because of what he said. It sucks that we'll have to deal with the weird translation even if we switch to JPN voices.

Seriously, I know I'm not the expert on Japanese (I know a little) but I don't remember Sol telling Millia that he'll rip her hair off, or how he doesn't give a shit about how old May is, or how he wants to kill everyone till there's nothing left, or how he has "no strategy, just punch till something is hit". Wasn't he a scientist? Invented the weapons? Why are they trying to make him look stupid..The english dub just comes off as a tryhard edgy killer guy. Meanwhile the Japanese one is just yare yare daze cool guy.

Yeah I read JoJo. Sol and Jotaro don't growl at people and tell them they're gonna make them scream till there's nothing left.  They're laid back most of the time but still kick ass.

I think the english dub is portraying Sol differently, he's more angry and violent for no reason. Even though he smiles a lot more in Xrd. Yare yare daze..

I think the ENG dub is roughly the same quality as JP dub. 

Sol sounds dumb in cutscenes but Sol is the biggest edgemaster anyway in any version so whatever. Ramlethal sucks in both versions. Both Venoms are poor in different ways for me, ENG Venom being goofy while JP Venom being really bland (his only memorable thing is that one victory line where he poses and goes "URRRRHGHHGHGHGH")

However, standouts for me are definitely Axl (That accent really isn't overdone at all BTW having spoke to a few English people), Zato-1 (Travis Willingham/10), Ky Kiske (Fantastic in both versions), Slayer (EXCUSE ME) and May (No longer sounds like a 5 year old on Helium, I can actually start playing her again)

Will definitely be keeping the English dub on personally. As a sidenote, as far as the whole "weebs" talk goes, this forum is pretty great for people not being massive losers about "fukin weaboos lemme tell u" or "backa guyjin".

If I read yare yare daze again... lol jk (although that is annoying). jp voices for engrish hype

I think the ENG dub is roughly the same quality as JP dub. 

Sol sounds dumb in cutscenes but Sol is the biggest edgemaster anyway in any version so whatever.

Sol growls at people in the JPN version? Joji Nakata just talks like a normal dude aside from the grunting and attacks in battle. He's a chill guy but will kick your ass if you mess with him. That's the way Sol Badguy has always been.

But then the english dub "IM GONNA KILL YOU TILL THERES NOTHING LEFT TO SCREAM WITH MY FAKE GARGLING VOICE" He's noticeably more angry and violent just for the sake of being angry and violent. It's like they slightly changed his character along with making his lines more cringe-worthy. I think the main difference is Japan Sol sounds tough but doesn't need to be a tryhard to do it. English Sol sounds like someone trying to be cool and failing at it.

Most of Sol's lines are "gimme a break" and "leave me alone/get lost", not "I'm gonna rip your hair, piss off". Characters like Jotaro and Sol are laid back dudes, the total opposite of edgemasters. JPN Sol just wants to be left alone and is tired of everyone's bullshit. He's pretty quiet a lot of times too, he doesn't talk as much as the other characters. When certain characters are annoying him he doesn't even say his thoughts out loud (noticed this while playing +R's story mode). He also saved a lot of people by defeating Justice, saved Kliff, took care of Dizzy, took care of his rival's son, even invented his rival's weapon. Being a former scientist and helping people definitely doesn't scream edgy to me. If you're talking about him trash-talking before/after a fight, others in the cast do the same thing. He has this quiet and cool (but still bad-ass) vibe. To me, the dub sounds like a Christian Bale wannabe that completely contradicts that quiet cool personality with obnoxious loudmouth growling and awkward lines. The director and actor just failed to do the character justice. (in my opinion)

Like I said, I usually prefer dubs. But at least with the Japanese audio I don't have to cringe everytime someone says something in this game.

Just heard in a stream that Elphelt is dubbed by Cassandra Lee.

Well, it's not a bad choice...

After hearing her as Edea in Bravely Default, I'm totally on board with this!

I don't know, I'm just asking because of what he said. It sucks that we'll have to deal with the weird translation even if we switch to JPN voices.

Seriously, I know I'm not the expert on Japanese (I know a little) but I don't remember Sol telling Millia that he'll rip her hair off, or how he doesn't give a shit about how old May is, or how he wants to kill everyone till there's nothing left, or how he has "no strategy, just punch till something is hit". Wasn't he a scientist? Invented the weapons? Why are they trying to make him look stupid..The english dub just comes off as a tryhard edgy killer guy. Meanwhile the Japanese one is just yare yare daze cool guy.

I can't exactly hunt for these quotes specifically in all of the footage that exists on the interwebs. If you have a video, I can confirm what Sol's lines are, as well as the April onion thing.

Edit: Found Sol v. Millia. He is pretty much exactly saying that he's going to tear her hair out next time in Japanese. And to get lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKSFxsstmc

Sol sounds pretty angry to me mid-match, at least.

Edit #2: I think I may have found the correct line. Though, I just say the subtitle in a video before the opening was skipped. April is saying something to the effect of "Go buy that thing." That thing is not specified (likely something already understood between April and May). So, they probably just pulled a random store item out of a hat so the line makes sense in English. I don't personally fault them for that.

Ramlethal sucks in both versions. Both Venoms are poor in different ways for me, ENG Venom being goofy while JP Venom being really bland

This is where we part ways.

Jamieson Prince is Leo btw.

Oh really?

Leo confirmed for Lu Bu's distant descendant.

Like I said, if the JP voice of Lu Bu is Leo, so must Jamieson. They're inseparable by doctrine.