Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SoWL

ArcSys Voice Acting [This thread has rules now]

Just a small update on Sol's English voice and the theory that it might be the same VA as Nash in SF5. The credits for SF5 have been leaked, and it turns out that Nash's VA is actually Mike McFarland (Jean Havoc in Fullmetal Alchemist).

Yeah, when I think about it...it sounds like McFarland. He wouldn't have a voice like Sol's.

And now we're back in square one. How much further are the Dustloop Detective Agency to uncover the identity of Sol's English voice actor? Find out next time on:

qvmPBaR.png

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2015 at 2:19 AM, Blade said:

Neither am I.  I can say with 100% Certainty Sol's English VA was in Lightning Returns, and Jack Calabrisi was not on the Casting List of that game.  Unless "Jack Calabrisi" is an alias?  Is SFV considered a high profile game?

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2015 at 9:11 AM, Vulcan422 said:

I think I may have finally found who Sol's English voice actor is: Jack Calabrisi.

I was watching some English footage of SF5 and realized that Charlie Nash's VA sounds very similar to Sol in several lines of dialogue. Apparently he also played Lars in SFxT.

According to this GameFAQs post, it's Keith Silverstein, who is indeed in Lightning Returns as you can check in the quoted link

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/730577-guilty-gear-xrd-sign-/70664765

EDIT: Under further investigation this doesn't seem accurate, since the VA doesn't have XRD listed on his own website, but does have newer games. The plot thickens I guess

It seems Behind the Voice Actors might finally have identified who voiced Sol, with the person in question being David Forseth.

Watched a sample of his voice work as James MacAllen in Titanfall, where his gruff voice kind of sounds similar to Sol's voice in Xrd. He was also credited in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, so perhaps he could be the one that voiced him the whole time?

I'm sold on James MacAllen too.  Two Reasons:

1. He sounds "gruffer" than Forseth's demo.

2. MacAllen voiced characters IN videogames (not just commercials about them), so he's got the resume to support it.

I think we have a winner!  (I make no guarantees of him returning to Revelator though, depends on ARC's budget).

You know which AS VA is the most enigmatic? A.B.A.s! I mean, while other voice actors list at least 1 or 2 roles, this person only has GG on their list, and no other projects past or present. O _0

And did you know some of the VA's in Arcana Heart are in AOT, including Armin and Sasha! Try to guess which Arcana Heart character they are before looking it up! : D

And another thing, for years, I thought Saki from AH and Millia where the same VA! But just found out recently their different people.

So I'm playing the EU demo to Revelator and all of Jam's translated lines are in stereotypical Chinese bad English. I dont recall her being translated like this in other games at all but regardless of if she was or wasn't I'm really irritated by this.

Jam ends her sentences in "aru" which is the indication of a Chinese accent in Japanese. Looks like they're following the original intention and translating that into her having a Chinese accent.

Can't wait to hear this dubbed. It's gonna be some funny shit.

40 minutes ago, Vulcan422 said:

Jam ends her sentences in "aru" which is the indication of a Chinese accent in Japanese. Looks like they're following the original intention and translating that into her having a Chinese accent.

Can't wait to hear this dubbed. It's gonna be some funny shit.

I think if it's just a small quirk then it might be tolerable if not a little endearing, but if it's overdone in the story mode then it will get very annoying. Even the addition of aru to the end of her sentences in Japanese isn't as extreme as the "You try my stir fry, taste very good" kinda stuff.

1 hour ago, ChexGuy said:

she was like that in AC+'s story mode

But that's now how she was translated in AC+. I don't recall one single line that gave the implication she "speaks" in a Chinese accent (AC+ was localized primarily by Aksys, so the intentions were different back then). 

On 4/2/2016 at 11:38 PM, Kura said:

I think if it's just a small quirk then it might be tolerable if not a little endearing, but if it's overdone in the story mode then it will get very annoying. Even the addition of aru to the end of her sentences in Japanese isn't as extreme as the "You try my stir fry, taste very good" kinda stuff.

It's not just the "aru" at the end, though. Her sentence intonation and such are completely off. It's immediately apparent that she's "foreign" in Japanese.

So, I anticipate the Chinese restaurant lady from Blazblue in terms of how it's handled in English VA.

3 hours ago, werewolfgold said:

It's not just the "aru" at the end, though. Her sentence intonation and such are completely off. It's immediately apparent that she's "foreign" in Japanese.

So, I anticipate the Chinese restaurant lady from Blazblue in terms of how it's handled in English VA.

I'm anticipating something like this:

https://youtu.be/b3-SL3fbg1U?t=12s

2 hours ago, Finuve said:

so does the demo not include dub voices?

Nope, since its the same Xrd - Rev demo from A.A., it does not include an option for dub voices.

Speaking as someone not super familiar with Arc's dubbing practices. Is there any reason to worry about REV not getting a dub since they havent shown or mentioned any dubbed footage when release is only 2 months away or so?

15 minutes ago, noct76 said:

Speaking as someone not super familiar with Arc's dubbing practices. Is there any reason to worry about REV not getting a dub since they haven't shown or mentioned any dubbed footage when release is only 2 months away or so?

Well, it wouldn't be any problem, I mean, I've asked over the PS blog once for Xrd's Sign's demo and mentioned if the game will include dual audio, and one of the staff from Aksys did say yes. I mean, GG started having English VO's fully with Overture (Yes, I know the GGX Trailer had that too, but that doesn't count, lol.), and now with -Sign-, and I doubt Revelator will be the same way. Besides, the BlazBlue series still continued on with English VA's, so I doubt it wouldn't be any different for GG.

32 minutes ago, Tsuki Garyuu said:

GGXrd Sign never had dub footage before its demo came out. Can't see how the U.S. version of the Rev demo will be any different (unless it also doesn't have dual audio).

The Rev demo does not have any dub hence the concern.

I have my doubts we'll even get a dub this time around... that's the impression I get.  It's already April and the game's supposed to be out in June, so I don't think there's enough time for anything unless they just didn't add it yet (but even then, I don't see why they would since Xrd: Sign's Demo had a dub to begin with).  On top of that, English Demo subs are full of typos... this is not the quality you'd expect from ARCSys (with Aksys helping them... or they're supposed to, anyway).

Worse comes to Worst, I hope maybe we can at least hope for a Steam Patch Dub or something in the distant future.

This also has me worried about BlazBlue Central Fiction too...