Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SoWL

ArcSys Voice Acting [This thread has rules now]

52 minutes ago, MaximusMurkimus said:

I just don't hope they think they can get away with pricing it at $60 like the estimated pre-order pricing is, especially without a dub. 

Pricing a console game at the same cost as console games would hardly be a surprise, dub or not. You can speak with your wallet, but the projected price is not remotely outlandish.

I felt strongly enough about the potential lack of an English dub that I went ahead and sent a letter to Aksys Games and the US Arc Systems Works branch on the issue.  I also tweeted on it to those companies, including Patrick Seitz's and Cristina Vee's social media accounts, just for some support (what little that provides, I suppose).  I'm more unhappy about the lack of communication on the issue, especially given that, based on some recent tweets from Seitz's and Vee's accounts, doesn't look like they haven't really been talked to about the overall issue either way.  They, and the other voice actors and actresses, deserve more respect than that.  If there some legit business reasons that truly make the dub unfeasible, I wouldn't be happy with it, but I would accept it, so long as it was communicated out to me correctly.

*shrug* I was polite and civil in my email, but I did let the companies know I wasn't really happy about the situation.  If anybody feels the same need to send something more directly to Aksys and ASW, I would strongly encourage you to also be civil, as that's much more likely to generate a useful response than the other route.  If you want a second set of eyes on your response to that end, drop me a PM.  I don't mind helping with that.

1 hour ago, Chaoschao222 said:

Pricing a console game at the same cost as console games would hardly be a surprise, dub or not. You can speak with your wallet, but the projected price is not remotely outlandish.

When the games get progressively more and more expensive, the justification in price becomes questionable, especially if a dub is absent. 

CS was $40, and CP/CPE were $50. Price difference could be justified in paying for new characters budget, but even then there were more characters released in those releases than there was in CF. Only Es and Naoto would need new VAs hired. 

Even Skullgirls, an indie title with a decent sized roster, had a release with full voice acting, and even that was only $20.

Remember, Call of Duty map packs were only $10 before Activision realized they could get away with it for $15. I feel like Street Fighter set the precedent for full priced fighters and Tekken followed suit. Only difference is that those two series have a large enough fanbase to take the risk. If ASW starts to notice poor sales, maybe they'll realize that. 

5 hours ago, Cocomonk said:

I felt strongly enough about the potential lack of an English dub that I went ahead and sent a letter to Aksys Games and the US Arc Systems Works branch on the issue.  I also tweeted on it to those companies, including Patrick Seitz's and Cristina Vee's social media accounts, just for some support (what little that provides, I suppose).  I'm more unhappy about the lack of communication on the issue, especially given that, based on some recent tweets from Seitz's and Vee's accounts, doesn't look like they haven't really been talked to about the overall issue either way.  They, and the other voice actors and actresses, deserve more respect than that.  If there some legit business reasons that truly make the dub unfeasible, I wouldn't be happy with it, but I would accept it, so long as it was communicated out to me correctly.

*shrug* I was polite and civil in my email, but I did let the companies know I wasn't really happy about the situation.  If anybody feels the same need to send something more directly to Aksys and ASW, I would strongly encourage you to also be civil, as that's much more likely to generate a useful response than the other route.  If you want a second set of eyes on your response to that end, drop me a PM.  I don't mind helping with that.

Some people just see it only as an issue that people that only like the dub are taking it seriously for no reason and it doesn't effect them . Not looking at the overall picture of an company being disrespectful by not communicating with a layer that supports them. The fact is this is not the first time something like this has happen which I still remember people complaining about how they weren't told that  CP Library Mode wasn't in the game and people had to complain to get a reason to why they remove it which to be honest sounded like they were too lazy to translate it. They only fixed that issue only because of a Extend version was coming out. If not for that then we would of been deny that content for good unless you have a JP copy and know how to read japanese. This matter goes beyond just a dub issue  it is more of being a better business in regards to how you treat your customer.

I'm a bit out of the loop, but was there any significant backlash regarding no English audio in Revelator? I've read posts here on Dustloop from people who were upset about it, but I can't recall seeing much about it on social media.

edit: I can see Blazblue being a whole other beast, since the series probably has a larger following of people who're more interested in the story and stuff.

1 hour ago, SQNR said:

I'm a bit out of the loop, but was there any significant backlash regarding no English audio in Revelator? I've read posts here on Dustloop from people who were upset about it, but I can't recall seeing much about it on social media.

edit: I can see Blazblue being a whole other beast, since the series probably has a larger following of people who're more interested in the story and stuff.

There wasn't much because people have mixed reviews on the dub. Some didn't like it and prefer the japanese voice actors. While others did like the english voices despite it's flaws. I thought they cut the dubbed because of  the dlc issue of Revelator chapters not being fully done so hiring the English voice actors would be too much but now even I am starting to doubt that excuse I gave them. 

Blazblue been with it's dub for over seven years  with this being the finale for the game. It not having a dubbed  at this point would be a huge blow towards the layers that got into the series because of it.  I already mention the stuff about the other issue concerning how Arc System Works been treating it's customers over the years in this  thread and how this can also play huge part towards  how people feel supporting future releases they do that are not apart of the FGC.

The thought occurs that, since ASW now has to juggle both Guilty Gear and Blazblue, the budget just might not be there for both and thus corners must be cut somewhere. I know they have separate teams (Team Red works on GG and Team Blue on BB), but the money still comes from one source. I don't know if many remember but about 7 years ago, ASW still didn't get the rights to Guilty Gear back so they made Blazblue in order to fill in that 2D fighting void that people relied on SF4 for. But now they have both IPs and both are successes in their own right.

However, I suspect that when Blazblue was conceptualized, it was done so on the assumption that they weren't going to get Guilty Gear back and so they poured in as much of a budget as they could and focused on Blazblue instead. Thus leaving them unprepared for when GG was reacquired. Then Xrd SIGN came along, reworked the whole series from the ground up and in the meantime, ASW decided they were going to establish their own North American branch as well.

Now this is just my personal speculation and I am likely missing the whole picture. Their lack of communication is not helping matters either, leaving fans to naturally assume the worst. It might also be that they're currently trying to plan out how to handle Es having an English voice (since XBlaze was JPN audio only as well) or it could be that they still haven't gotten to making the schedules for the dub voice actors. Japanese companies tend to have this rather...unprofessional idea that they should only work on localization after the Japanese version is finished and out on Japan store shelves. It doesn't excuse not keeping your fans worldwide in the loop, but it's a possibility of what's currently happening.

3 hours ago, Luminos564 said:

The thought occurs that, since ASW now has to juggle both Guilty Gear and Blazblue, the budget just might not be there for both and thus corners must be cut somewhere. I know they have separate teams (Team Red works on GG and Team Blue on BB), but the money still comes from one source. I don't know if many remember but about 7 years ago, ASW still didn't get the rights to Guilty Gear back so they made Blazblue in order to fill in that 2D fighting void that people relied on SF4 for. But now they have both IPs and both are successes in their own right.

However, I suspect that when Blazblue was conceptualized, it was done so on the assumption that they weren't going to get Guilty Gear back and so they poured in as much of a budget as they could and focused on Blazblue instead. Thus leaving them unprepared for when GG was reacquired. Then Xrd SIGN came along, reworked the whole series from the ground up and in the meantime, ASW decided they were going to establish their own North American branch as well.

Now this is just my personal speculation and I am likely missing the whole picture. Their lack of communication is not helping matters either, leaving fans to naturally assume the worst. It might also be that they're currently trying to plan out how to handle Es having an English voice (since XBlaze was JPN audio only as well) or it could be that they still haven't gotten to making the schedules for the dub voice actors. Japanese companies tend to have this rather...unprofessional idea that they should only work on localization after the Japanese version is finished and out on Japan store shelves. It doesn't excuse not keeping your fans worldwide in the loop, but it's a possibility of what's currently happening.

The only proof that we will have if the dubbed will be in the game is when the game comes out in October in Japan in regards to English battle clips.  We can speculate about the issue all we want but at the end of the day this confusion is only cause because of Arc System Works not being open in regards to these matters.  I'm not even angry at them anymore I'm just disappointed on how they been making terrible decisions over the years in regards to how communicate to their fans about these matters. The sad fact that we may have to find out the dubbed may not be even there in the game by the English VA's telling us themselves instead of Arc System Works telling us is depressing. For now, we can only hope that Arc System Works at least listen to those people who want a confirmation of the dub status and stop being silent. I'm going to take a break from Blazblue for a while so I don't get emotionally charge about this matter anymore then I already did. Thinking about it a lot isn't going to solve or do anything for this matter. I still will always love this series and the work that Arc System Works put into their games even despite the bad business decisions on their communication part. But, I'm still sticking too my stance depending on how this issue is handle.

Edit: Well Strangely Compelling reply back to a comment someone made in regards to the dub on twitter .  Basically saying that you should ask Arc System Works and Aksysgames twitter account in regards to that.

Okay, let's assume ASW goes "OOOHHHH, we had no idea people liked the dub so much we swear :keke:" and decide to go to work on it. Would there even be time to finish things before the release? Even if they hold off on the story mode dub for the US release, they would have to record lines for all the playable characters (including the new ones. Could they belt it out before the October launch? 

23 minutes ago, MaximusMurkimus said:

Okay, let's assume ASW goes "OOOHHHH, we had no idea people liked the dub so much we swear :keke:" and decide to go to work on it. Would there even be time to finish things before the release? Even if they hold off on the story mode dub for the US release, they would have to record lines for all the playable characters (including the new ones. Could they belt it out before the October launch? 

I wanna be optimistic but part of me is saying I doubt they would be able to do that.  They first have to get into contact with the VA's and make sure the VA's have a open schedule for them to be ready to record for the dub. They also have to negotiate with the VA's on if they willing to accept the payment they are going give them in regards to doing the work for the dub. If they don't accept that then you might as well kiss the dubbing process out the drain because  I doubt they would have time to find replacements under such circumstances.  Then, have to schedule how many sessions that the VA's has to come in to do the work. 

Since time is of the essence if anything of that gets mess up it can easily lead to no dub happening. Since they haven't even bother doing step one yet of getting into contact with them I mainly feel that a dub just isn't possible. if they are able to prove me wrong despite everything pointed to that I would keep quiet and apologize for doubting them. I guess I'm hoping for the impossible.

On 7/23/2016 at 10:56 AM, Hero19 said:

It's about not supporting the US branch of it until they get their act together. Supporting Arc System Works JP by importing is ok because Mori and Daisuke deserve it. If I pick up any games from their US branch  I'm buying it used for now on. They don't deserve a dime for thinking their customers like fools that should take whatever they give them without any answers given to them.

That's counterproductive to sales numbers, which basically define everything in this kind of business.  Instead of thinking in terms of "maybe if I don't buy this they'll get a clue", it's better to say "maybe if I actually speak up and say something, they'll do something".

As for myself, since I personally hate translating ANYTHING, I prefer a dub at least as reference (and this is the guy who wrote the GG Quote Project years ago btw).

Voice acting will always be hit and miss, even if they bothered to give Potemkin a vocoder filter.  But to me it's that "extra polish" that makes all the difference.

Whether it's adding extra things like voice acting, or spell-checking winquotes to get all the typos out (yes that's an issue in SIGN, heck BBCF's JP website says "Charater" by mistake)... just all those extra pushes make the game that much better.

I think ever since ARCSys put Aksys on the sidelines for Localization work, there's been a dip in quality.  I know Aksys co-oping with ARC is pricey, but Aksys wants a good game release too, to produce good sales numbers and make up for those costs, which it seems ARCSys is too wary about right now.

I've been putting up with and investing in untranslated GGX-quality games for years, I think I deserve something with a dub, whether it's BB or GG.  That's why I think it's all the more important that people bombard ARC's U.S. and JP webpages.

12 hours ago, Hero19 said:

Well Strangely Compelling reply back to a comment someone made in regards to the dub on twitter. Basically saying that you should ask Arc System Works and Aksys Games twitter account in regards to that.

Yeah, although, even if by contacting them, they'll probably give you this as a response  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ or none at all, considering how its going lately (just wish that they would be honest and upfront about it >.>). Also, I find that bullshit since considering this was on Revelator, after all...

credit.PNG

No excuses...>.>

I get your guys's points on BBCF and its possible dub, I mean, after all, its the last tale of Ragna's story and having it not dubbed is a lowblow, as some of you said. I mean yeah, even Funimation dubbed Alter Memory and brought most of the cast from the game faithfully. But seeing Seitz and Vee's posts on twitter, yeah, there's a glimmer of hope, but I hope its gets the treatment it deserves. But we're hoping all around. <.<

Way I see it, if a niche series like Dynasty Warriors can get a dub solely due to fan demand, BlazBlue has a much better chance. 

They could even go the SFV route of battle lines first, story in the future. That could ensure a timely release and still guarantee a dub. 

Just throwing it out there, but people saying "I hope they wouldn't think of releasing it at $60 without a dub"...well...The PS3 version of Revelator goes for $64.99, and the PS4 version goes for $74.99, so...

Now that's really disappointing. I never even imagined a possibility of CF not getting a dub, considering they dubbed every game until now (and even that godforsaken anime too). But now, seeing how even VAs don't know anything yet, I'm starting to get worried. It won't be a deal-breaker for me assuming the game ever hits PC but a huge dissapointment nonetheless. Well, there's always a possibility of post-release DLC, or dub being included in Extend edition at least.

9 hours ago, Blade said:

That's counterproductive to sales numbers, which basically define everything in this kind of business.  Instead of thinking in terms of "maybe if I don't buy this they'll get a clue", it's better to say "maybe if I actually speak up and say something, they'll do something".

As for myself, since I personally hate translating ANYTHING, I prefer a dub at least as reference (and this is the guy who wrote the GG Quote Project years ago btw).

Voice acting will always be hit and miss, even if they bothered to give Potemkin a vocoder filter.  But to me it's that "extra polish" that makes all the difference.

Whether it's adding extra things like voice acting, or spell-checking winquotes to get all the typos out (yes that's an issue in SIGN, heck BBCF's JP website says "Charater" by mistake)... just all those extra pushes make the game that much better.

I think ever since ARCSys put Aksys on the sidelines for Localization work, there's been a dip in quality.  I know Aksys co-oping with ARC is pricey, but Aksys wants a good game release too, to produce good sales numbers and make up for those costs, which it seems ARCSys is too wary about right now.

I've been putting up with and investing in untranslated GGX-quality games for years, I think I deserve something with a dub, whether it's BB or GG.  That's why I think it's all the more important that people bombard ARC's U.S. and JP webpages.

You can just look at the Blazblue series to see what happens after Aksys was pushed aside for localization for Strangely Compelling by Arc System Works. BBCSEX being the crowning example of bad localization that I have ever seen. Especially with Hazama/Terumi three different voice actors and text not matching what the voice actor is saying. They should be lucky that people still stuck with the series after that abomination.

The goodwill of the fans been keeping them afloat despite some of the terrible localization issue that be popping  up in their work. I just feel they took that for granted and think they can do whatever the hell they want now because they believe that people will buy the game regardless of how bad the quality gets.

Your right that the only thing you can do is speak out in regards to the situation and hope to get a response. But, also you should vote with your wallet on the issue as well since like you said they are a business and the sales numbers going down would be the only way to get them to respond if they can continue to ignore to their customers questions. Don't pre-order or buy the game New from them until they say something.

I was trying to tell people that they shouldn't have been so complacent with Rev not getting a dub because that might bleed over into Blazblue. And, welp...here we go.

I sent actual ASW an email in Japanese asking them to explain the situation regarding Rev not getting a dub. Let's see if they respond.

It's sad to say, but sometimes people don't see things that way. I'm not saying it's with everyone, but there are a lot of people who seem to not understand that in situations like this you can't really allow a precedent to be set or else it'll turn into something where the people behind it think it's perfectly fine and okay to get away with.

Does me saying this sound a bit dramatic? Sure. But this is the sort of thing where "You were fine with Revelator not getting a dub? Congratulations, now NONE of the upcoming Aksys/ASW(whichever one is responsible) fighters that come out in the future will have English Dubs again. As in, ever." isn't an unrealistic possibility or fear to have as a result of one instance of people being passive and "okay" with something.

I got an e-mail back from support saying that they can't answer on the details of why English voices were not included. But, they will be sure to bring up to the appropriate staff in future meetings how much English voices are wanted.

So...meh.

5 hours ago, werewolfgold said:

I got an e-mail back from support saying that they can't answer on the details of why English voices were not included. But, they will be sure to bring up to the appropriate staff in future meetings how much English voices are wanted.

So...meh.

That's not a very reassuring answer. They basically confirmed that there's no plans for English voices at the time, but they might oblige us sometime in the future, likely on another game. 

And to think that they managed to localize CT and CS in less than a year. ASW needs to step in directly if we have any chance of a dub. 

They're going to release a Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator #Reload next year. Half of the story is DLC and there is more DLC coming next fall. Arc System Works is not going to leave that much of a content in digital form. They’re going to release a #Reload version (like in GGXX ->GGXX#R) with everything included  and maybe more (like the Extend versions of BlazBlue) , and then the english dub is going to be included.

On 7/29/2016 at 10:52 AM, Aegis High said:

They're going to release a Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator #Reload next year. Half of the story is DLC and there is more DLC coming next fall. Arc System Works is not going to leave that much of a content in digital form. They’re going to release a #Reload version (like in GGXX ->GGXX#R) with everything included  and maybe more (like the Extend versions of BlazBlue) , and then the English dub is going to be included.

Source? Or you're just thinking what everyone would know ASW would do regardless. >.>

Guys, the Aksys website and many other english stores such as Gamestop, Best Buy, and Playasia have Central Fiction listed to be released in Winter 2016, not Fall 2016, which gives us a higher chance for a dub. Also Winter 2016 could mean anywhere from December 2016 to January, February, or March 2017.

P.S. I don't get why people are freaking out and believing that there will be no dub because of Xrd Revelator. Even if there are a lot of arcade stories and a 45 hour story mode, it doesn't mean they can't dub it and not announce it. Give them time, I am sure they will be able to do it in time.

On July 27, 2016 at 9:09 PM, werewolfgold said:

So...meh.

What this tells me is that it's also a Budget thing (Arcade is their biggest revenue by the way), but at least ARCSys got the message.

I knew this was going to be an issue the longer the GG and BB series dragged on, as they've been hurting for sales numbers ever since GG2 flopped on XBox360 (it got a better response on Steam, but that may not help much).

BBCT was touted as the game we 'had to play' in place of GG for the time being, and that basically split the GG fanbase in half.  But it's thanks to Calamity Trigger that GGXrd Sign and Revelator even exist.

Budget issues are Budget issues and there is no getting around them.  I think Post-Release DLC patches are going to be the norm from now on, same with Revelator DLC coming this fall.