Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SoWL

ArcSys Voice Acting [This thread has rules now]

Having seen some of how well written the story is this time around, it makes me want the dub even more than ever. 

Hearing Izanami go psycho several times is great enough in Japanese, it will probably be even better in English. 

I was gonna say "imagine it in English", but I'm hoping it won't have to be that way.

Personally, I'd rather continue getting Blazblue content without a dub than just stop getting it altogether. 

Would I prefer a Dub? Hell yes, I went through hell to get my copy of BBCP signed by Cristina Vee :NL: and Patrick Seitz :RG:, but the lesser of two evils is to support them either way and continue getting what we love, even without my favorite voice actors. 

In fact, I would argue that diving right in and buying as many copies as possible to show support would be the better option in terms of getting a dub later, and most of all in terms of safety. Its just too risky to boycott a game that is already a niche pick. All they have to do is scrape any localization later and we're screwed.

That said, I'm gonna go ahead with preordering BBCF. The limited edition, in fact, one part because I want to show as much support as possible and two parts because I REALLY WANT IT. :lol:

3 hours ago, Arcus Diabolus said:

Personally, I'd rather continue getting Blazblue content without a dub than just stop getting it altogether. 

Would I prefer a Dub? Hell yes, I went through hell to get my copy of BBCP signed by Cristina Vee :NL: and Patrick Seitz :RG:, but the lesser of two evils is to support them either way and continue getting what we love, even without my favorite voice actors. 

In fact, I would argue that diving right in and buying as many copies as possible to show support would be the better option in terms of getting a dub later, and most of all in terms of safety. Its just too risky to boycott a game that is already a niche pick. All they have to do is scrape any localization later and we're screwed.

That said, I'm gonna go ahead with preordering BBCF. The limited edition, in fact, one part because I want to show as much support as possible and two parts because I REALLY WANT IT. :lol:

That's the kind of spirit I like to see.

Hell, I might actually double dip and get the Limited Edition with the free controller + the digital version for that Demo.

I'm getting the LE myself because one guy on the opposite side of the world from their target consumer-base not buying it will send the message about as strongly as a smoke signal in a tornado.  I think Arcus Diabolus has the right idea about how supporting it even without the dub is probably the best and safest method for getting it in the long run, and in the long run this is still a damn good fighting game series I like--I'll pay to keep getting entries without having to import, even if I do have to deal with Kanako Kondo's insufferable voice.  I'm pretty sure myself and other people who contacted Arcsys or Aksys to express their discontent with the lack of a dub does a far better job of telling them we're not happy about it then the game not selling for what could be any number of reasons.

Hell, I'd do what Vulcan might do and get the digital version for the demo if I didn't have to play this on PS3 due to funds preventing a PS4 purchase.  Also, why the Hell is the demo only available to those who get preorders?  Aren't demos supposed to be like a trial thing for consumers to give the thing a shot to see if they'll like it and possibly buy it, thus making it attached to preordering it fairly useless?  Remember when demos were friggin free?  Pepperidge Farm remembers.  But I'm ranting.

10 hours ago, Orihalcon said:

I'm getting the LE myself because one guy on the opposite side of the world from their target consumer-base not buying it will send the message about as strongly as a smoke signal in a tornado.  I think Arcus Diabolus has the right idea about how supporting it even without the dub is probably the best and safest method for getting it in the long run, and in the long run this is still a damn good fighting game series I like--I'll pay to keep getting entries without having to import, even if I do have to deal with Kanako Kondo's insufferable voice.  I'm pretty sure myself and other people who contacted Arcsys or Aksys to express their discontent with the lack of a dub does a far better job of telling them we're not happy about it then the game not selling for what could be any number of reasons.

While I understand this position and the other comments being made I cant agree with it entirely.

Money talks, and if CF sells just as well as past titles, or hell if it sells even more than the message we send them is that a dub isn't necessary. When a company drops a feature from a series and they keep making the same if not more money they aren't gonna go back and put it in again.

The flip side is that if it doesn't sell well enough they might give up on it all together. Its a no win situation.

Even so I cannot pay them directly for this title. If they would come out and say a dub was being added down the road then that would be an entirely different story, but as it stands the chances of getting a dub are basically non existent. The dub was a huge feature of Blazblue and without it we basically have a glorified import. I'm looking forward to the game but I still hold them to a higher standard than this and will instead opt to grab a used copy down the road.

About the potential reasons for the game to under sell. I think its fair to assume that if that happens its for only 2 real reasons. A lack of a dub, and people assuming an extend version is on the way(regardless of what they say to the contrary). CF looks flat out better than any other title so far, so these 2 things are the most likely to have an influence on its sales. True or not both of these things create a perception of greed to the consumers, and that's what would hurt the game.

3 hours ago, Grigori said:

While I understand this position and the other comments being made I cant agree with it entirely.

Money talks, and if CF sells just as well as past titles, or hell if it sells even more than the message we send them is that a dub isn't necessary. When a company drops a feature from a series and they keep making the same if not more money they aren't gonna go back and put it in again.

Well, if they're constantly hounded about it forever and ever and ever, then there's a slight chance if it'll get people to shut up. lol

But, there'd actually have to be prolonged bothering about it.

5 hours ago, Grigori said:

The flip side is that if it doesn't sell well enough they might give up on it all together. Its a no win situation.

Even so I cannot pay them directly for this title. If they would come out and say a dub was being added down the road then that would be an entirely different story, but as it stands the chances of getting a dub are basically non existent. The dub was a huge feature of Blazblue and without it we basically have a glorified import. I'm looking forward to the game but I still hold them to a higher standard than this and will instead opt to grab a used copy down the road.

About the potential reasons for the game to under sell. I think its fair to assume that if that happens its for only 2 real reasons. A lack of a dub, and people assuming an extend version is on the way(regardless of what they say to the contrary). CF looks flat out better than any other title so far, so these 2 things are the most likely to have an influence on its sales. True or not both of these things create a perception of greed to the consumers, and that's what would hurt the game.

While your candor and dedication to the dub is impressive, and I completely agree that the dub is a huge feature and the series is not the same without it, this is nonetheless a finale for everything and contains characters I've been wanting to play as since at least Continuum Shift among others.  At the end of the day it's a damn good fighting game that I play with my friends and I'm not waiting any longer then I already have for a feature that might not get existed.

And I'm still more certain that buying the game to ensure it even comes out over here while simultaneously contacting them repeatedly about the dub is the best bet.

Well, I can agree on Arcus's devotion, but well, so will I, I mean, I got Xrd - Revelator just fine even if it was sub only, and I'll do the same for Central Fiction, and will also get the LE (well, at a rather steep discount tnx to PowerUpRewards coupon certificates, lol.), I mean, I got all of the BB's so far, including extend versions and multiple ports, most already completed 1K/Plat/Etc, lol. But yeah, its at least something to devote to, and that one day, we'll get to hear the English VA's for now, until then, its all a dream for it.

Also, Vulcan, the LE with Hori Pad isn't free, its a bundle that costs together, lol. ($90 PS4 LE + maybe $40? or at least $30 with bundle discount code.), Also, if you can afford both physical and also digital pre-order with the English demo, then damn, lol.

Also, I'm not going to be an ass and all about this, but to me, this is the first Console BB to not get English VA's period and probably the 4th BB title to not have a dub cause I'm counting the Mobile games of both BlayzBloo's and Reburning Revolution (BB: Battle Cards don't have any voices period, since its a card game, after all, though since been delisted). Since they've already had English releases, and I can't find any info on both 3/DS BB's other than vids that just have JP voices only. BB:RR on the other hand is also JP voices only since I've played it daily non-stop, so yeah, what can you do.

Lastly, to think BB:CF isn't going to flop...

https://twitter.com/aksysgames/status/783798309307592704/

Seems like the LE's are selling out over the Aksys Store, on the PS3 version, at least, plenty of PS4 stock with the Hori pad left. Nothing mentions if other retailers are the same, but its mostly referring to the Aksys Store. So yeah, it seems its selling well, at the moment.

To be fair I don't think you can really count the spin-offs/side titles.  There's a bit of a difference between a full console game and a throwaway spinoff title as far as dubbing goes, especially when the console games have had a constant dub present and the spinoffs have not.  It's like a totally different category, and people are definitely more willing to accept no dub in the spinoffs than a main series one, as seen with this whole fiasco.

Sorry, but I can't get behind these convictions. After discovering how the HK version and the US/UK version are basically identical aside from time of release, I'm even more appalled at the lack of effort put into this as a whole. 

I'm not quite getting all this concern about future localizations when this is the one that matters the most in the series at the moment. For the time being the series has concluded for Ragna's story; this is the grand finale unless otherwise stated, and even then a new title might be a few years from now. I'm not gonna play hostage to a game company; if they want to localize something here then that's their call. They can speak with their wallets just as I can do so with mine. XBlaze did fairly well considering it's the niche of the niche. I'm sure they'll be willing to take another risk.

A year from now even, no one is gonna care that we got the game early. We're only gonna remember what could've been with the dub, and that's a future that I'd like to change before it happens. I'm not concerned for any future games at the moment because even so, they're not gonna be CF. CF is the game I want a dub for. 

The petition has hit almost 5K signatures. They're aware it exists. Any sort of positive PR about a dub would get me to buy it. A simple "dub is coming, please buy in the meantime" would be the ticket. But since ASW wants to be hardheaded, I have no choice but to do so as well. 

Also, in terms of sales it's still not doing too great. Combined between the PS3 and PS4 the game hasn't hit 50K in Japan. Digital sales excluded of course, but I can't imagine too many people buying the game digitally for the demo to make up for the sales. #nodubnobuy is making it worse for the localized versions, especially with a bunch of people who don't curr either way and buying the HK version early..

I've been waiting for many things in this game for quite some time. But to pay even more than what I paid for a game that did have a dub in the past titles and very little incentive to experience the story first-hand as a result is simply an appalling concept to me. My Limited Edition is on a paid off preorder. If ASW still wants to continue to act like this is a non-issue, it's gonna go right to a more deserving game. 

17 hours ago, werewolfgold said:

Does this series really deserve such devotion...?

Reveal hidden contents

kappa

Reveal hidden contents

Well, half kappa. lol

Shitpost of the year.  Also parroting an unfunny meme like every other brainless moron on the internet makes whatever point you were trying to make lost.

Ever since the removal of the dub for CF, I've had time to reflect and take off my fanboying goggles for ArcSysWorks. Call it a long overdue wake-up call if you are so inclined, but this whole situation has made me realize how you shouldn't ever expect anything from a company looking to make money. I've been with BlazBlue for all these past 7 years. I've been with ArcSysWorks even longer, ever since GGXX: Midnight Carnival was a thing back on the PS2.

For GG, I am more drawn to the Japanese voice cast since that was what I ended up hearing for all those years. The Xrd SIGN dub wasn't...what I expected, but some gems were definitely present (looking at you ENG Elphelt, Slayer and May). Seeing them not be reprised for Revelator was disappointing, but I paid it no heed since I didn't have time to grow with their voices.

BlazBlue was different. I had the pleasure of listening to and grow attached to the English cast, especially for Patrick Seitz, Christina Vee, Cindy Robinson and Julie Ann Taylor for 7 years...until they were abruptly dropped. Had BlazBlue been a JPN audio only game or if the ENG cast wasn't well acted/directed, I doubt many of us would have cared. But people clearly did. About the only thing this whole situation did is make me understand just how much having the dub available to me meant.

At the end of the day however, I still pre-ordered my copy. Digital for the first time in...ever, since I have been with the series for so long and at this point it is almost out of personal obligation. After this however, I am swearing off any and all games that ArcSysWorks puts out. They'll get no more money from my pocket until I see some drastic changes.

6 hours ago, Orihalcon said:

Shitpost of the year.  Also parroting an unfunny meme like every other brainless moron on the internet makes whatever point you were trying to make lost.

The fact that you got this bothered by it says a lot more about you than it does about me. Loosen your panties, grandma.

Spoiler

And if you think that was the shitpost of the year, you clearly have not seen anything that Vulcan has posted...like, ever. lol

1 hour ago, Luminos564 said:

Ever since the removal of the dub for CF, I've had time to reflect and take off my fanboying goggles for ArcSysWorks.

Same experience.

I do still love the games and thus will keep on playing them, even if they do show some unappealing mannerisms like this once in a while.

1 hour ago, Luminos564 said:

Ever since the removal of the dub for CF, I've had time to reflect and take off my fanboying goggles for ArcSysWorks. Call it a long overdue wake-up call if you are so inclined, but this whole situation has made me realize how you shouldn't ever expect anything from a company looking to make money. I've been with BlazBlue for all these past 7 years. I've been with ArcSysWorks even longer, ever since GGXX: Midnight Carnival was a thing back on the PS2.

For GG, I am more drawn to the Japanese voice cast since that was what I ended up hearing for all those years. The Xrd SIGN dub wasn't...what I expected, but some gems were definitely present (looking at you ENG Elphelt, Slayer and May). Seeing them not be reprised for Revelator was disappointing, but I paid it no heed since I didn't have time to grow with their voices.

BlazBlue was different. I had the pleasure of listening to and grow attached to the English cast, especially for Patrick Seitz, Christina Vee, Cindy Robinson and Julie Ann Taylor for 7 years...until they were abruptly dropped. Had BlazBlue been a JPN audio only game or if the ENG cast wasn't well acted/directed, I doubt many of us would have cared. But people clearly did. About the only thing this whole situation did is make me understand just how much having the dub available to me meant.

At the end of the day however, I still pre-ordered my copy. Digital for the first time in...ever, since I have been with the series for so long and at this point it is almost out of personal obligation. After this however, I am swearing off any and all games that ArcSysWorks puts out. They'll get no more money from my pocket until I see some drastic changes.

Basically this.  Having the dub there from the start is why it's a big deal to suddenly remove it, and the fact that GG only had a dub for two games (one of which you can't truly count as a main series title despite not actually being all too bad) made that pill easier to swallow.  It's a bit of a dick move on Arcsys's part to remove the dub for the English releases at the very end of at least Ragna's story.  I can understand their reasoning for it though, shitty as it may be.  And as I've said, at the end of the day this still a fun fighting game to me more than anything.

But yeah, I'm with you on Arcsys not seeing a cent from my wallet after this one.

29 minutes ago, werewolfgold said:

The fact that you got this bothered by it says a lot more about you than it does about me. Loosen your panties, grandma.

Reveal hidden contents

And if you think that was the shitpost of the year, you clearly have not seen anything that Vulcan has posted...like, ever. lol

I never understood the notion that simply pointing out when somebody is being an asshole for no reason makes the one who pointed it out 'bothered.'  It feels like a backpedaling notion more than anything.  Nor have I seen Vulcan make any shitposts in recent times at least.  I'm rather puzzled by this response.

7 hours ago, Orihalcon said:

I never understood the notion that simply pointing out when somebody is being an asshole for no reason makes the one who pointed it out 'bothered.'  It feels like a backpedaling notion more than anything.  Nor have I seen Vulcan make any shitposts in recent times at least.  I'm rather puzzled by this response.

Not to extend this further than it needs to, but I was referring to how bothered you were by me saying "kappa" to the extent where you're associating me with "brainless morons". That's pretty bothered, dude. Kappa is like the equivalent of saying "j/k" or "don't take this seriously". It wasn't some attempt at being witty or something. What's the problem exactly? It's not like I assaulted you with a bunch of cat image macros. That is what's truly puzzling.

I'm an asshole for half questioning whether this series is high quality enough to warrant purchasing multiple copies of the same game or still pre-ordering while seemingly being so upset with ASW's practices? Meh. If you want to take that as a huge character attack or something, then you can, but you probably shouldn't. Hell, I usually drop upwards of 5000 or 6000 yen a pop ($50 or $60) go to the freaking concerts. Self-deprecation?

The point is lighten up. Life is too short.

Spoiler

And the year is almost over. If we're going for "shitpost of the year" then we have a bit to stretch back. But, I used a bit of hyperbole in throwing Vulcan under the bus. I also may be conflating posts he's made here with posts on other sites. It's not like it's every other post or something.

Spoiler

Maybe a fourth of them. lol

But, I'll stop since I'm actually trying to start anything with him.

We've hit 5K signatures on the petition. But what now? As hopeful as I am for this dub, perhaps stupidly so, does Aksys even feel like listening to anyone anymore?

On a side note, I want to say that I'm disappointed to find out that the translation quality for CF is apparently even worse than CP. Although that's just Strangely Compelling's fault again, that tells me this localization is nothing but rushed.

let see they drop the dub and shit can the translation so they so called trying to save money on no dub as well translation that fucking stupid,they took out what has been in the game from day one and you would think they would at least have translation be well written but no they to dam cheap to even do that right at least give fans something nice to read but no they didn't even do that because they chose to drop the dub this is one of ASW worst business decision they ever done hell at least Altus and SquareExin got the dub in both their games and both games were delay and not one time they made no excuses but yet ASW still hasn't come out at all of why they drop the BBCF dub and I think they never will and oh just because GGXR second game has no dub in it some GG fans are little upset me one yea and no at the same time because GG  has been no dub ,only two games but I'm used to GG not dub but BB on the other hand I was used to the dub now if the game didn't had duel voices from the start it wouldn't be a issue at all to me and the others fans but when you chose to add something that was in the game ,but now made a last ditch decision to killed the dub for the final chapter make me think they did it  to piss off fans knowing well that people buy the import any way and that so called we want to get it out early bullshit story in nothing but a dam excuse Like 6 or 8 months for a dub going to killed fans EVO fighters do import the game and that's where most their sale come if they didn't know that but they don't think about that at all if the bother to look even though we hit the 5k mark ASW is still saying fuck you and were still not going to dub it.

Misclick, delete please.

12 hours ago, Zaiaku said:

We've hit 5K signatures on the petition. But what now? As hopeful as I am for this dub, perhaps stupidly so, does Aksys even feel like listening to anyone anymore?

On a side note, I want to say that I'm disappointed to find out that the translation quality for CF is apparently even worse than CP. Although that's just Strangely Compelling's fault again, that tells me this localization is nothing but rushed.

ASW's treatment of their western fanbase is baffling to me. I get that Japanese companies are likely to pay more attention to their home markets, but when other companies are starting to care somewhat and put some effort into localisation and PC porting, ArcSys seems to be regressing to a point of treating the western player base as a footnote amongst footnotes.* We've gone from excellent localisations with dual audio to mediocre, heavily delayed localisations (that still had dual audio), and then to rushed-out-the-door borked translations with no dubbing, which is still inexplicably delayed somewhat in the west in spite of the HK version already being translated.

Personally, it feels to me like they've gone from the standard "caring more about the home market than the foreign one" which is somewhat understandable, to "not giving any crap whatsoever". They didn't even bother to tell the voice actors that they won't be needed anymore. What's going on?

*I mean, I know I can't tell what's actually going on, but it really does feel that way, at least to me, and I can't help but be disappointed.

[If this post breaks the rules in regards to speculation and/or ire I won't mind it being deleted. I'm just expressing my frustration.]

Of course those localizations weren't perfect, but at least they didn't have so many clear errors in the translation. The only one I can remember from CT was "Tamagahara".

In Ragna and Nu's CP arcade modes, Nu is supposed to be the Sword of Izanami, but the script consistently said "Sword of Izanagi". In the story mode, when Homura was introduced, both "Amanohokosaka" and "Amano Hokozaka" appeared in literally the same sentence. "Rebillion" in the Gallery Mode. And in CSE, the script has Bang mention ice cars, even though it doesn't match with his voiced line.

In CF, Raquel is spelt in three different ways, Naoto calls Es a guy in her arcade mode, and some win quotes are incorrect. (i.e. Terumi and Kokonoe's quotes are swapped with each other) The translation quality somehow didn't improve at all since CSE with Strangely Compelling behind it.