Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SoWL

ArcSys Voice Acting [This thread has rules now]

So, rest in Peace,  :SL:. You've found a place on inmortal memories. God keeps on eternal dream to your soul.

I was thinking of what would happen if ArcSys made an HD remaster of Guilty Gear: The Missing LinkXXX (both original series and the Accent Core series) and Isuka a la the cancelled Mortal Kombat HD Arcade Kollection into a single HD collection. Since the games' voices were made with outdated recording procedures, new recorded dialogue would be needed and thus, new voices for numerous characters since many of the VAs who originally voiced those characters were never active again.

New cast for HD collection (suggestions are helpful)

(New VAs will be in bold)

• Sol Badguy & Order-Sol - Joji Nakata
  • Ky Kiske - Takeshi Kusao
  • May - Rie Kugimiya
  • Millia Rage - Sanae Kobayashi
  • Zato-1/Eddie - Takehito Koyasu
  • Potemkin - Kenta Miyake
  • Chipp Zanuff - Yoshihisa Kawahara
  • Faust/Dr. Baldhead - Kappei Yamaguchi
  • Axl Low - Daisuke Namikawa
  • Baiken - Naomi Shindo
  • Testament - Show Hayami
  • Kliff Undersn - ?
  • Justice - Mitsuki Saiga
  • Anji Mito - Satoshi Hino
  • Venom - Junichi Suwabe
  • Johnny - Norio Wakamoto
  • Jam Kuradoberi - Yui Horie
  • Dizzy - ?
  • Bridget - Ryoko Shiraishi
  • Zappa - Yuji Ueda
  • I-No - Kikuko Inoue
  • Robo-Ky - Mamoru Miyano
  • Slayer - ? (possibly Unsho Ishizuka)
  • A.B.A. - Romi Park
  • Paracleus - Koichi Yamadera

Anyways, with BlazBlue: Alter Memory on the way, can we use this thread to talk about a possible dub for that it?

So can we use this thread to talk about a possible dub for Xrd?

While it is REALLY early... I get the feeling that Christina Vee would be a good VA for for Elphelt.

I think Christine Marie Cabanos would make a better fit on her, considering that the character's Japanese VA (Aya Suzaki) also voiced Mako Mankanshoku (who Cristine also voices). Personally, I would like to see the game dubbed in Vancouver.

What's wrong with using the current VAs for that theoretical project? You know, like they do in Xrd?

I think Christine Marie Cabanos would make a better fit on her, considering that the character's Japanese VA (Aya Suzaki) also voiced Mako Mankanshoku (who Cristine also voices). Personally, I would like to see the game dubbed in Vancouver.

Same here, even though I once suggested Cabanos to take on May. Elphelt will be much more tolerable to listen to as well. There's enough voice actresses like whoever it was that voice Peko Pekoyama who can make a good fit for Ramlethal too. Seriously, play the Danganronpa games and you know every female voice actress ever. lol

What's wrong with using the current VAs for that theoretical project? You know, like they do in Xrd?

Most of the voice actors in the earlier Guilty Gear games were either A.) Once fairly active during up to 90s but aren't as much anymore (Keiichi Nanba and Satomi Koorogi) or B.) obscure VAs who were barely heard of outside of the Guilty Gear games (the majority of the voices in the series). Though ArcSys was able to hire several big-name talents such as Takeshi Kusao, the late Kaneto Shiozawa and Iemasa Kayumi, Junichi Suwabe, Joji Nakata, Norio Wakamoto, Kikuko Inoue and Yuji Ueda for their earlier games, much of the Guilty Gear cast is rather low-budget compared to BlazBlue's. So that's why I'm suggesting that if ArcSys ever makes an HD compilation of the earlier Guilty Gear games, they should get much bigger talents to voice the characters (see my previous post for reference).

Same here, even though I once suggested Cabanos to take on May. Elphelt will be much more tolerable to listen to as well. There's enough voice actress like whoever it was that voice Peko Pekoyama who can make a good fit for Ramlethal too. Serious, play the Danganronpa games and you know every female voice actress ever. lol

For May, I suggest Cherami Leigh as her English VA (if it gets dubbed in either California or Dallas; if dubbed Vancouver, then I would suggest Tabitha St. Germain). 

For Peko, I think Amanda Celine Miller voices her. Amanda's also the VA I expect for her to voice Ramlethal if Aksys chooses to have the game dubbed in California (if dubbed in Texas, then her counterpart Brina Palencia would voice her; if dubbed in Vancouver then her counterpart Chantal Strand would voice her).

Switching voice actors this late just so the cast has more well-known ones doesn't sound logical to me. It's not like the current cast does that bad of a job, not to mention that people are used to associating these characters with these voices. Even switching Eddie and Sol's voices still feels unnatural to me, but those at least have solid justifications. Now, what is there to gain from spending more money on more popular actors? Promotion? I think the fact that the game is goddamn Guilty Gear is the best promotion it can get. Better quality? Like I said, the current quality is good enough, there are better ways to make the game itself better. Nerd satisfaction that THIS character is voiced by THAT voice actor who's well-known from such and such? I already get that each time I see a GG actor in a different project. The fact that Venom voiced Space Dandy still blows my mind.

So yeah, there's nothing wrong about mental exercises, but they're usually a waste of everyone's time, and this one is no exception.

So, the release date (Dec 16th) was just posted in the Xrd Gameplay topic.  This was posted on the Playstation blog by an Aksys rep:

"There will be the option of English or Japanese voices to play with."

Just so questions don't pop up later.

For people who are complaining about Persona 4 Arena Ultimax's "half-hearted dub"... this should explain things.

Atlus USA are the ones behind the localization for P4AU, not Aksys Games or ARC System Works.

Fortunately GGXrd is getting better treatment.

No one is complaining about Ultimax's dub, it was good.

I agree. I really don't see much wrong with it. Glad it was Atlus and not ArcSys that was in charge of it.

No one is complaining about Ultimax's dub, it was good.

The Story Dub, perhaps, but in-battle English Dub was non-existent from what I heard from others.  Also apparently a lack of Japanese audio for Story Mode as well.

Compare that with BlazBlue:

Story Mode: English/Japanese Dual Audio (English/Japanese Subtitles)

In-battle: English/Japanese Dual Audio (including post-battle win quotes)

And you see something was missing.

The Story Dub, perhaps, but in-battle English Dub was non-existent from what I heard from others.  Also apparently a lack of Japanese audio for Story Mode as well.

No Japanese story audio is a tradeoff between Japan being terrified of reverse importation, and actually getting the English version game in a reasonable amount of time. Sure, Xrd is only going to have like a 2 week wait, but I'm pretty sure it'll go downhill from there. It certainly did for BlazBlue.

The only thing I felt was lacking in Ultimax's in-battle voice acting was how few characters had opponent specific banter. Otherwise they just scream their heads off saying the same things just like every other ArcSys fighter.

Then what you heard was wrong, because the battle dub was as good as it was in the first game. Instead of "hearing about it," why don't you acutally try listening to it before you say random shit?

As far as Dual audio for the US version of Ultimax is concerned, it was already stated that it's Atlus Japan's call, not their US branch. It also has nothing to do with the quality of the dub itself. It might be a problem (for some people anyway), but it's not the dub's problem.

I was thinking of what would happen if ArcSys made an HD remaster of Guilty Gear: The Missing LinkXXX (both original series and the Accent Core series) and Isuka a la the cancelled Mortal Kombat HD Arcade Kollection into a single HD collection. Since the games' voices were made with outdated recording procedures, new recorded dialogue would be needed and thus, new voices for numerous characters since many of the VAs who originally voiced those characters were never active again.

New cast for HD collection (suggestions are helpful)

(New VAs will be in bold)

• Sol Badguy & Order-Sol - Joji Nakata
  • Ky Kiske - Takeshi Kusao
  • May - Rie Kugimiya
  • Millia Rage - Maaya Sakamoto
  • Zato-1/Eddie - Takehito Koyasu
  • Potemkin - Kenta Miyake
  • Chipp Zanuff - Yoshihisa Kawahara
  • Faust/Dr. Baldhead - Kappei Yamaguchi
  • Axl Low - Daisuke Namikawa
  • Baiken - Hitomi Nabatame
  • Testament - Show Hayami
  • Kliff Undersn - ?
  • Justice - Mitsuki Saiga
  • Anji Mito - Satoshi Hino
  • Venom - Junichi Suwabe
  • Johnny - Norio Wakamoto
  • Jam Kuradoberi - Yui Horie
  • Dizzy - ?
  • Bridget - Ryoko Shiraishi
  • Zappa - Yuji Ueda
  • I-No - Kikuko Inoue
  • Robo-Ky - Mamoru Miyano
  • Slayer - ? (possibly Unsho Ishizuka)
  • A.B.A. - Romi Park
  • Paracleus - Koichi Yamadera

Just gonna propose the ones missing.

Kliff: Yasuhiko Kawaku

Dizzy: Ai Kakuma

Slayer: Masaharu Satou

I think it will be also cool seeing Bridget's voice as Uchida Maaya, if the return of Konishi is really impossible at this point.

Just gonna propose the ones missing.

Kliff: Yasuhiko Kawaku

Dizzy: Ai Kakuma

Slayer: Masaharu Satou

I think it will be also cool seeing Bridget's voice as Uchida Maaya, if the return of Konishi is really impossible at this point.

Thanks for the suggestions for Kliff, Dizzy and Slayer.

As for Bridget, the reason why I picked Ryoko Shiraishi for him is because of her typecast as effeminate boys who have a tendency to cause unsettling gender reveals (both of which fit Bridget perfectly), and also the fact that if he were to appear in Xrd as a DLC character, he likely would be based off his Vastedge XT design (considering the 5-year timeskip between XX and Xrd), which has a more boyish look compared to his previous iteration, thus making more sense for him to have a more boyish-sounding voice than his XX series counterpart.

Just for a fun fact, if Hayate Ayasaki were to appear in Xrd as some crossover DLC character (I would like to see a guest fighter in an Arc System Works game), then he would have to get a male (preferably Akira Ishida) to voice him since he would be a bit too similar to Bridget if Ryoko Shiraishi were to reprise her role for him alongside with voicing Bridget :).

For the record, the only English voice actor that could live up to Slayer's wonderful voice is Morgan Freeman. Any other Slayer voice will be inherently inferior to his JP voice.

I could see Jamieson Price working...maybe, but other than that, I can't even think of a decent fit. Michael McConnohie if he comes back is probably just going to be Paradigm. David Lodge?

H***** A****** 

Who? If you want people to understand what you're talking about, don't self-censor.