Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SoWL

ArcSys Voice Acting [This thread has rules now]

Yeah, the direction is really questionable.

Didn't they get Cup of Tea Productions for CP? They did a great job making the most of the script.

Strangely Compelling, I think.

Strangely Compelling did the script and localization, but didn't they get Cup of Tea to handle the actual voicing? Or was it all Strangely Compelling?

Not sure if it was a Strangely Compelling Cup of Tea.

The thought occurs that, while the voices are either hit-or-miss (and in some cases it really shows), perhaps we're so taken aback by them because we've grown so used go hearing Joji Nakata's Sol or Junichi Suwabe's Venom? I mean by no means am I justifying a poor performance, directing or miscast but perhaps we're more critical of the dub because (save for the sole exception in Overture) the JPN voices were all we ever heard in GG? Perhaps in due time they will grow on us. I mean hell, Sol's voice fits when he is actually fighting (more or less) but when forced into cutscene dialogue it falls apart. Much as I don't view it favorably, the VA definitely has potential but needs improvement...or better directing. Yeah probably the latter.

A part of me wishes it didn't come to this in the first place though. This is the long awaited next installment of the GG franchise FFS. You'd think that ASW would shell out everything they possibly can to wow their audiences like they did with BBCT and then start getting sloppy as more games are added to it.

Finally got to hear May, so I can jot this all down.

Sol: Discount Solid Snake/10. As I kept playing Sol, my likeness of his voice kinda went from...55%~ to maybe 60%~. Still a bare average, but at least he knows how to throw an insult.

Ky: Flynn Kiske/10. I really like this one. I still fill that the slight of attitude made me like Ky as a character. Dunno why sounding too young is a con seeing as even Ky's JP voice is practically younger than he should be after 10+ years.

Sin: Dodge Dodging Yuri/10. Best fit after Yuri Lowenthal. Not much to say, it's just great. Needs to speak up a little though.

Venom: LET'S BREEK/10. Wins the award for Most Misdirected. The VA would've done averagely if he didn't use that fucking obnoxious hissing and snarling tone.

Zato: Matthew Mercer/10; now playing a character that's voiced by his arch-nemesis, DIIIIOOOOOOOOOOO! Not much too say, it's just good.

May: Anything but Moe/10. Quite fond of her voice most of the time. It's definitely gonna have me like May's character.

Slayer: Fight Like Gentlemen/10. Another best fit. It's not Ian Sinclair, but I'll pick someone who actually has an old man's voice.

Millia: A Sweet Dream/10. Very likable and not very tacked in that I feel it's "VA X sounding like VA X."

I-No: Blacklight Babe/10: You don't deserve to be I-No if you can't sound like a bitch, and this VA knows this. Not bad at all.

Potemkin: Discount Seitz/10. Doesn't leave much of an impression.

Faust: Almost "EXCELLENT"/10. He's a good fit, he just needed to be consistently quirky.

Bedman: Blur/10. Wasn't expecting Yuri at all. I'm actually surprised he's in an antagonist role in Arcsys fighting games for once.

Axl: I'M REALLY FEELING IT/10. Damn right I am. Award for Best Casting definitely goes to whoever this VA is (I swear it can't be Liam). I've been wanting to main Axl anyway.

Ram: How Do I Speak in Emote/10. It's not who voices Ram but her speech patterns. It's beyond inconsistent. The director very clearly couldn't tell what a relatively emotionless character was supposed to sound like. He/She was just winging it.

Localization: Just as messy and will be more so than CP once we get to the Story Mode. Quote me on that.

Casting: A mixed bag. Even though there were only a few duds, I figured Sol should have been a pretty big deal when casting, and the guys thought Kyle Hebert was their best option? Really? I mean, maybe, if he wasn't being angry all the damn time.

Directing: Definitely the worst of all the Arcsys fighters they've dubbed, bordering on Seraphim Digital BS. I'd better hope Cup of Tea or this "Strangely Compelling" tries to alleviate my (or "our") potential frustrations when playing through the Story Mode in English.

Edit: I left out Chipp's voice, That probably says something. Anyway, it's fine. For now anyway.

Bedman: Blur/10. Wasn't expecting Yuri at all. I'm actually surprised he's in an antagonist role in Arcsys fighting games for once.

Well he was That Man in Overture though it is debatable if you consider him an "antagonist" or if you even consider Overture to be a "fighting game".

I feel like Sol's actor delivers his lines (least his win quotes and insults) well, just the pitch of the voice is totally off-putting.

I feel like Sol's actor delivers his lines (least his win quotes and insults) well, just the pitch of the voice is totally off-putting.

He constantly sounds like he's gargling something and it's REALLY distracting.

@Luminos I know, right? lol That Man is still an antagonist, and honestly, even at the beginning I felt Yuri casted as That Man was so thrown in. I'd rather forget about it.

The thought occurs that, while the voices are either hit-or-miss (and in some cases it really shows), perhaps we're so taken aback by them because we've grown so used go hearing Joji Nakata's Sol or Junichi Suwabe's Venom? I mean by no means am I justifying a poor performance, directing or miscast but perhaps we're more critical of the dub because (save for the sole exception in Overture) the JPN voices were all we ever heard in GG? Perhaps in due time they will grow on us. I mean hell, Sol's voice fits when he is actually fighting (more or less) but when forced into cutscene dialogue it falls apart. Much as I don't view it favorably, the VA definitely has potential but needs improvement...or better directing. Yeah probably the latter.

A part of me wishes it didn't come to this in the first place though. This is the long awaited next installment of the GG franchise FFS. You'd think that ASW would shell out everything they possibly can to wow their audiences like they did with BBCT and then start getting sloppy as more games are added to it.

See, I've been at Guilty Gear for over 8 years and I knew that feeling was coming and I still managed to go into the Demo in a blank slate. Because I'm more associated with dubs, familiarity doesn't do much to sway my impressions of a dub, and I had to be sure that my criticisms, if any, were fair. I believe how a character was voice previously isn't so much our priority, but rather how we feel the character is intended to be voiced and well as his/her comparability with a given voice. I don't care if May doesn't sound moe as she used to sound, I still feel it's fine and that it suits her (Elphelt though...I'll just have to wait.). The idea of giving Ky a slight of attitude may be unlike him as we used to hear him, but as of now I felt that made him better.

He constantly sounds like he's gargling something...

Yeah, the physical manifestation of the voice director's incompetence.

@Luminos I know, right? lol That Man is still an antagonist, and honestly, even at the beginning I felt Yuri casted as That Man was so thrown in. I'd rather forget about it.

Well technically he should be called That TEEN/BRAT considering his body's current...state.

See, I've been at Guilty Gear for over 8 years and I knew that feeling was coming and I still managed to go into the Demo in a blank slate. Because I'm more associated with dubs, familiarity doesn't do much to sway my impressions of a dub, and I had to be sure that my criticisms, if any, were fair. I believe how a character was voice previously isn't so much our priority, but rather how we feel the character is intended to be voiced and well as his/her comparability with a given voice. I don't care if May doesn't sound moe as she used to sound, I still feel it's fine and that it suits her (Elphelt though...I'll just have to wait.). The idea of giving Ky a slight of attitude may be unlike him as we used to hear him, but as of now I felt that made him better.

Oh I totally agree. Much of my frustrations are just first impressions anyway. It is most likely to change once I have the game in my hands and listen to the voices at my own preference (the background music really does obscure a lot of the voice acting from the videos I saw, despite the music being fan-tucking-fastic). I plan to and will adhere to being as fair as I possibly can (keeping in mind that personal bias is always present). Even if I do end up switching to JPN primarily I will at least spend time with the ENG cast. As mentioned earlier, I like a good number of them.

Tara Platt is always a joy to listen to and considering she was my pick for Millia (2nd in fact) I have absolutely every intention of listening to her full performance. Her getting I-no's role as well is a surprise so I will need to look into it too. I like May. Eden Riegel is a good fit there. Bedman is a hoot. I'm surprisingly OK with Fitzgerald's Ramlethal, but I need to hear more before making the final judgement. Still need to hear Venom, Potemkin and Zato though...

Just HOW bad is Venom's VA? This is my main, we're talking about here.

Oh, lawd. I'm at work so I can't watch anything. I mainly use Venom, so this should be fun. lol

Believe me, it's .....uggggggggg.

My tier list:

S+: Axl

S: Sin Bedman

A: Zato, May, Faust, Maybe Slayer if j.S laugh is good

*gap*

B: Everyone else

*another gap*

C: Ramlethal

D: Venom

Voice ratings based on demo, will redo once full game comes out.

Sol: 0/10

Ky: 9/10

May: 9/10

Millia: 10/10

Zato: 10/10

Potemkin: 7/10

Chipp: 6/10

Faust: 8/10

Axl: 10/10

Venom: 0/10

Slayer: 8/10

I-no: 10/10

Bedman: 9/10

Ramlethal: 6/10

Sin: 10/10

I dunno dudes, I kinda like Sol's lolragemode grizzled voice. Wasn't what I was expecting but that isn't a bad thing. 

I like the voices (from what I can hear of everyone but Sol and Ky, seems like they're super quiet) it's honestly the delivery that's a bit off.

Venom, though. Uh, wow. Definitely caught me off guard. Undecided about that one, but yeah I'll need to hear them all a lot more before I write everything off. In all honesty from what I could hear it's a solid dub.

I like it.

Only complaint was Venom who just sounded like they were trying to harvest an effeminate tone too hard [because ya know, how else would you know he's gay] and I got over that my second time hearing it.

Forgot to mention, Sin's voice is amazing. He delivers his lines so well. Definitely my fave of the bunch thus far. He really shines in the tutorial.

Forgot to mention, Sin's voice is amazing. He delivers his lines so well. Definitely my fave of the bunch thus far. He really shines in the tutorial.

Axl tho.

I like the dub in general even if the original voices are in every way superior, but I don't understand how anyone can say May's voice is good. The voice sounds like a 16 year old girl's voice on a little girl's face, it's completely out of place. May is a CHILD. The voice acting isn't bad, but it's totally mismatched.

I like the dub in general even if the original voices are in every way superior, but I don't understand how anyone can say May's voice is good. The voice sounds like a 16 year old girl's voice on a little girl's face, it's completely out of place. May is a CHILD. The voice acting isn't bad, but it's totally mismatched.

You know May is around 20 years old in Xrd, right? I think it fits.

You know May is around 20 years old in Xrd, right? I think it fits.

Wouldn't say 20. Late teens at most, yeah, but even now I still think she's kept relative short by design choice. She (big quotation marks)looks(endquote) old enough for that voice to fit her.

Her voice sounds fine and appropriate, you're just to used to Japanese voice acting where every young girl sounds five fucking years old.