Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SoWL

ArcSys Voice Acting [This thread has rules now]

2 hours ago, Finuve said:

I cancelled my exist archive preorder. Figured I might as well go all the way in not supporting english aksys/ASW. I'll import BBCF. I can't not play the game, but this would be absolutely devastating to my efforts to really put the time in, as I wouldnt even bother with story mode, and training sessions would blow hearing the awful JP noel instead of Cristina Vee

So..you're not gonna support ASW...by supporting ASW?

The dub is pretty much what I know and have always known when it comes to Blazblue. And now with Cristina Vee and David Vincent saying they haven't heard anything either, I'm starting to get all "what the fuck?". Not like it'd wind up helping if they really are deciding to go this direction but...does Aksys or Arcsys, or whoever would be behind this have a Twitter or something we could message or whatever?

51 minutes ago, BlackYakuzu94 said:

So..you're not gonna support ASW...by supporting ASW?

It's about not supporting the US branch of it until they get their act together. Supporting Arc System Works JP by importing is ok because Mori and Daisuke deserve it. If I pick up any games from their US branch  I'm buying it used for now on. They don't deserve a dime for thinking their customers like fools that should take whatever they give them without any answers given to them.

3 hours ago, Finuve said:

I cancelled my exist archive preorder. Figured I might as well go all the way in not supporting english aksys/ASW. I'll import BBCF. I can't not play the game, but this would be absolutely devastating to my efforts to really put the time in, as I wouldnt even bother with story mode, and training sessions would blow hearing the awful JP noel instead of Cristina Vee

Why Aksys? Don't they only publish the series now, instead of actually localizing? I sincerely doubt it has anything to do with them.

I'll be more than a little pissed off if they just up and dont bother to dub the game.

At that point I'd legit have to stop and ask why they even bothered to release the game outside of Japan to begin with.

The hardcore, and the people who cant wait are just gonna import it anyway. So with no dub what exactly is the point of bringing it over? Menu's? Text? No ones gonna even care about that. Navigating the menu is easy, and a for a large portion(if not the majority)of the English players the lack of a dub will be off putting.  Despite what many weebs might say a massive amount of people want it in their own language. Myself included. Dubbing is getting progressively better, and anime in general more popular. And there is no way the hardcore portion of the playerbase is whats selling the game enough to even warrant bringing it over to begin with. Its the larger more casual playerbase that does that, and you'd be surprised at how many of them arent sub only purists, or even anime fans to begin with. Especially considering its not just an anime but also a fighting game.

Its very unlikely you will win anyone over who wasn't already interested to begin with if you dont provide an English dub, and if their only goal is to maintain exactly the same number of sales they've had...well then the lack of dub wont even get them that. As it will absolutely alienate players.

Blazblue has the extra appeal of being both a fighting game and an anime. It can pull fans of either in, but not doing a dub out of nowhere in a series that has consistently had one will not do them any favors. I mean c'mon...even the Blazblue anime got dubbed.

I'm not convinced its not getting one, but I am becoming worried it might not, and thats not something I ever expected to worry about with Blazblue. If the worse happens tho...it will honestly probably be a deal breaker for me. The gameplay initially got my attention, but I cannot get invested into characters, or story if its not presented in my own language, and when you take away a games personality(which is what the lack of a dub would do for me)leaving just the exercise of playing the game I'll just find something else to play that can provide both, and I know I'm not the only one.

Let's just all keep our fingers crossed for that ENG Dub.

Personally, I'd be devastated if we don't get the ENG Dub. As pointed out, BlazBlue has had ENG Dub from the very beginning, and to not do it for the finale of Ragna's Arc would be doing the game and the fanbase a HUGE disservice. So to speak, I would still play a game/watch an anime, regardless of Dub or Sub, but with a game like BlazBlue, you just can't pull a move like that when your series has came so far and has brought so many people together.

As I said at the beginning, let's just all keep our fingers crossed for that ENG Dub! I am intrigued by what Naoto and Es would sound like with an ENG Dub. [Although, I can already imagine both sounding like they're 16-18]

14 minutes ago, BlazGearRegalia said:

Let's just all keep our fingers crossed for that ENG Dub.

Personally, I'd be devastated if we don't get the ENG Dub. As pointed out, BlazBlue has had ENG Dub from the very beginning, and to not do it for the finale of Ragna's Arc would be doing the game and the fanbase a HUGE disservice. So to speak, I would still play a game/watch an anime, regardless of Dub or Sub, but with a game like BlazBlue, you just can't pull a move like that when your series has came so far and has brought so many people together.

As I said at the beginning, let's just all keep our fingers crossed for that ENG Dub! I am intrigued by what Naoto and Es would sound like with an ENG Dub. [Although, I can already imagine both sounding like they're 16-18]

I'm just not that optimistic for the dub even happening unless they withheld the english release for a bit and patch in the English voices into the Japanese games later on. They got too little time to make up sessions for the VA's to get together to record for the game since the game is probably in testing right now or may have already been finish on the JP side. We don't know how available the other English VA's are in regards to their schedule which may complicate things even more. The game is most likely is going be shipped to JP stores in September to make sure the game stores all have the game ready for release. Which means that even if testing is not over they only got at best a few weeks at best to knock it out. So, unless they withheld the game release a bit to allow the game have time to be dub or patch it later on I doubt we are getting it.

The hardcore, and the people who cant wait are just gonna import it anyway. So with no dub what exactly is the point of bringing it over? Menu's? Text? No ones gonna even care about that.

Don't project your or your circle's beliefs through the majority. For example all the guys I know buy the english version for one reason: understanding the story mode. People know how to read and it is insulting to think they would only get an english version just for the sake of hearing english voices (except for like, dub enthusiasts(?)) . And the people who care about the story of this game are quite few (not necessarily competitive gamers). The competitive only guys will not care having a dub or not, but in most tourneys you will see the japanese voices being played even if there's an english option.

To be honest I won't miss the dub as I don't think too highly of it (with the exemption of a few voices like ragna's and kokonoe's) However, I do think it's very unprofessional to release the game without a dub, since it had been dubbed in all its previous incarnations (and localised with love and care, mostly).

I hope they'll go the dlc way after it has been released, and if we're getting the game faster because of that, I'm all for it.

I care about the story yeah, but in any case when I'm doing matches and the English Voices are available, I'll pretty much ALWAYS go for the option when available. Also, as odd as it might sound, sometimes audio cues on things actually help me out a bit with the English Voices, so it being just Japanese would also have that little bit of getting me to need to get used to things all over. Plus, I don't know, I just get into a rhythm and whenever I'm on a setup with Japanese voices it throws me off for a game or two. Yeah, I know I'm the minority and weird on this, but still.

I just don't like the idea of seeing customers as disposable income once they got what they want being acceptable to them . The dub being removed after being there for many years pisses me off the most, but it's the principle behind what they doing as well in regards to how they treat their customers that's the real root of this. If they can get away with this treatment, then for any future release for other franchises that they get can easily fall under the same precedent. Since they got away with it  once what would make them think doing it again in the future would cause any problem.

How CSE was handle let me be aware of how badly the localization can get without proper control. CP let know how they can easily cut corners especially with that excuse on why they didn't include CP "gallery" mode until people complaints made them do it for Extend . Revelator not having a dub is a blow towards people who like the dub in SIgn but the fact they stayed silent on the matter until the game about to be release in the U.S is terrible. CF is the last straw for me when I tried to come up with many excuses on why I should support this company despite how shitty the treatment been getting over the years.  It's obvious at this point they think they can get away with treatment the customers like shit as long people don't do anything about it. Arc System Works JP deserves the support but the US branch doesn't deserve a damn thing until they get their act together on how they treat their customers.  The dub and how they treating the issue to me shows where customers stand at in their eyes. I will stand by my principle of buying any series that Arc System Works US branch that interests me used until they changed their stance. Since money is what they are so concerned about then not getting any is the only way for them to change.

37 minutes ago, SixWingedAngel said:

Don't project your or your circle's beliefs through the majority. For example all the guys I know buy the english version for one reason: understanding the story mode. People know how to read and it is insulting to think they would only get an english version just for the sake of hearing english voices (except for like, dub enthusiasts(?)) . And the people who care about the story of this game are quite few (not necessarily competitive gamers). The competitive only guys will not care having a dub or not, but in most tourneys you will see the japanese voices being played even if there's an english option.

To be honest I won't miss the dub as I don't think too highly of it (with the exemption of a few voices like ragna's and kokonoe's) However, I do think it's very unprofessional to release the game without a dub, since it had been dubbed in all its previous incarnations (and localised with love and care, mostly).

I hope they'll go the dlc way after it has been released, and if we're getting the game faster because of that, I'm all for it.

Perhaps the point I was driving at was lost when I was putting my post together.

I'm not implying people are incapable of reading text, but that realistically very, very few with intentions of importing the game are going to buy a dubbed version simply to read the story text when it hits the west, and the ones who do were already interested to begin with. It only serves to keep people from becoming interested who cant get past the language barrier, and anger the fans its already created because now it suddenly doesnt have a dub.

It has nothing to do with being a "dub enthusiast", and everything to do with presentation. For the reasons you stated I have to agree that yes it is very unprofessional to release the game without a dub, but more than just those reasons it has to do with attracting new players that otherwise wouldn't give it a look, and now...perhaps even retaining previous players. Having no dub whatsoever is very off putting to many people, and frankly doesnt speak very highly of the product regardless of how one feels about it. As you said its just a very unprofessional look.

As for adding a dub after DLC...I very highly doubt it. I cant say I know enough about other games to know if this ever happens or not, but I havent heard of it before, and I very much doubt that if its never been done its about to start now. If it doesnt release with a dub I cant imagine it will ever have one.

No dub kills story mode for me, plain and simple. To try to spin this to "lol who cares about the dub" is not gonna help anyone, you're getting the JP voices regardless. After 7 years of dubbing, to take it out on the final installment of Ragna's story would be a tremendous "fuck you" to fans who have supported the series for so long. For all the praise ASW is getting with Revelator these days, they sure are shitting the bed with Blazblue.

Yeah, I disliked them removing all aspects of the English Dub in Revelator too, so I was certainly not one of the people praising them for that, lol.

1 hour ago, Hero19 said:

I just don't like the idea of seeing customers as disposable income once they got what they want being acceptable to them .

As-is, it's just that. An idea. You know nothing about the current circumstances, there's no need to catastrophize everything just because we're in the dark. This goes for everyone. It may be worrying to some that there's nothing known on whether or not CF will be dubbed, but you still ultimately know nothing. Nobody has come out and said "yep, game's going to be JP only because fuck you poor saps we're gonna save money AND make money off you idiots anyway lololol."

47 minutes ago, Oniros said:

No dub kills story mode for me, plain and simple. To try to spin this to "lol who cares about the dub" is not gonna help anyone, you're getting the JP voices regardless. After 7 years of dubbing, to take it out on the final installment of Ragna's story would be a tremendous "fuck you" to fans who have supported the series for so long. For all the praise ASW is getting with Revelator these days, they sure are shitting the bed with Blazblue.

from where I'm standing, they shit the bed with revelator too.

22 minutes ago, Chaoschao222 said:

As-is, it's just that. An idea. You know nothing about the current circumstances, there's no need to catastrophize everything just because we're in the dark. This goes for everyone. It may be worrying to some that there's nothing known on whether or not CF will be dubbed, but you still ultimately know nothing. Nobody has come out and said "yep, game's going to be JP only because fuck you poor saps we're gonna save money AND make money off you idiots anyway lololol."

Well we will see when the game comes out then. I doubt they are going to give anybody an explanation on why a dub isn't there if it's not included in the game. They still haven't given a reason towards why Revelator hasn't have one after all. The best thing to do is just spread awareness about the issue and hope they give a response about the matter. Even if they don't decide to give one then just vote with your wallet on what you believe is right for yourself to do. Also, people have the right to know about this before they make their decision to buy the game.

It's a very simple plan if there's no dub.

Buy it used. Watch the story mode on YouTube in the meanwhile. Frequent the boards here if that's not an option.

Shit, I bet if Atlus wasn't overseeing localization then we probably wouldn't have had a dub there, either. Look how well ASW's been with updating it after release. 

ASW might be going down the Koei Tecmo route of quantity over quality; frequent releases pushed out with the bare minimum of localization and loads of DLC. Better that they're made aware of that before it's too late.

Ah, man this would suck.

I'm generally a sub fan, but BlazBlue's dub was amazing. The voices are a huge part of those characters. Hearing Iron Tager, Noel or Hazama in a different voice would be very disappointing.

I can even see them putting in some BS explanation for the lack of a dub exclusively in the localized story mode. "The many possibilities of the Continnum Shift meant that everyone was suddenly speaking Japanese, their native tongue."

Mori don't you even dare 

8 minutes ago, MaximusMurkimus said:

I can even see them putting in some BS explanation for the lack of a dub exclusively in the localized story mode. "The many possibilities of the Continnum Shift meant that everyone was suddenly speaking Japanese, their native tongue."

Mori don't you even dare 

Mori has nothing to do with the dub. You should be asking Arc System Works about that matter. Aksys is just a publisher for their stuff now since the CT-CS era  so I can't really blame them since they just give out what they are handed too by Arc System Works.

BB's not getting it's final game for Ragna's story at least dubbed is like having every Kingdom Hearts game but KH3, the end of the Xehanort saga getting dubbed. I would still get both games, just be disappointed.

18 hours ago, MaximusMurkimus said:

It's a very simple plan if there's no dub.

Buy it used. Watch the story mode on YouTube in the meanwhile. Frequent the boards here if that's not an option.

Shit, I bet if Atlus wasn't overseeing localization then we probably wouldn't have had a dub there, either. Look how well ASW's been with updating it after release. 

ASW might be going down the Koei Tecmo route of quantity over quality; frequent releases pushed out with the bare minimum of localization and loads of DLC. Better that they're made aware of that before it's too late.

That's not happening. ASW went on a music and story mode take down for BlazBlue and Guilty Gear. Even taking down Arcade videos for Guilty Gear. I even got a copyright strike for a short clip of Terumi insulting Ragna from his gag reel when he called Ragna a loser, and that clip was like 25 seconds long. I got the strike removed, but I removed all my story and music BlazBlue videos on my channel, and will only show versus match and other gameplay stuff. Arc System Works is really bad with this. It hit it's worst when a guy got copyright strike for Skullgirls Japanese videos, because Arc System Works publishes it in Japan, even though they didn't make the game. User is Goodbye18000.

I feel like I probably shouldn't be so irritated and upset about the possibility, but I am. I mean, as I've mentioned before, the Revelator thing has made me hesitant to buy it, and people applauding the decision/being perfectly fine with it was something I felt started a dangerous precedent. I know potentially being all "no dub, no dollars" when it comes to myself might seem a bit petty but like...I'm sort of a very principle-based thinker, so if something just feels wrong based on principle, I'll usually be pretty against it, regardless of what it is.

Buy the game used if words won't reach them. You can still play the game as much as you want without having any money go them.   Them losing money should send a message to them if they don't want to communicate with their fans about the issue.

Edit: I think I done enough repeating this message. Whatever happens for now is what happens.

Yeah, as irritated as we can get over it, it's ultimately out of our hands. 

I just don't hope they think they can get away with pricing it at $60 like the estimated pre-order pricing is, especially without a dub.