Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kitsoru

GG2: Overture Story Translations (**Updated w/ Sin's!)

Well, it's been what 5-ish years and there's still been no full translations of these stories SO a native-speaker familiar with the series has undertaken the task! I'll be posting the translations for Ky, Sol, and Sin's Overture artbook stories here (maybe Izuna/Valentine/Paradigm too? idk how many she's doing). She doesn't want to make a dl/post these herself and asked me to do it.

They're almost all completed, we're working on the editing for them so I'll post them up in their own posts as the editing is finished.
____
CREDITS:

All translations are by Noa (deviantART | tumblr)
Editing done by Nainsoo and myself.

Please don't repost these without permission, and reposts must include the credits above.

Translator notes are included as it goes with a (t/n:-- )

Will be crossposting each of these to my tumblr!

_____
INDEX (which will be more useful when everything is posted):

(x) Ky's Story
(x) Sol's Story
(x) Sin's Story
(x) Valentine's Story
(x) Izuna's Story
(x) Paradigm's Story??

Ky's Story:

Gears were created by humans as soulless mechanical weapons. Despite their despicable nature, a half-Gear with a kind soul was born. As a half-Gear born between a Gear and a human, she was born with a kind and gentle heart. However, due to the fact that she was born as a Gear, humans placed an incredibly large bounty on her head, and her life was constantly threatened.

The meeting between this girl and the former commander of the anti-Gear army [seikishidan] (Sacred Order of Holy Knights), Ky Kiske, happened two years ago. For Ky, who had fought countless battles on the front lines against Gears, meeting this kind-hearted half-Gear who despised destruction and slaughter was refreshing yet mysterious.

As time went by, they continued to see each other, and the half-gear's existence in Ky's heart underwent a change. He now knew he had to protect her. If you were to define the beginning of love, it would have been precisely that moment. Ky decided to put her under his protection. Despite the fact that such a decision was against the belief of justice and humanity he had been true to always.

The two began to live together. As a government worker, Ky diligently pursued public service. The half-Gear, while waiting for Ky's return, protected their home and worked hard on house chores. Spending their days as such, they communicated from their heart and trusted each other -- it did not take long for them to begin wanting each other. Ky loved her from the bottom of his heart, and she deeply respected and loved him in return. Soon Ky was unable to deceive or even hide his true feelings for her. Furthermore, she wasn’t of any nationality or family register (t/n: census) and therefore, could not get married. Despite his knowledge of such, Ky proposed to her. Without the approval from society they pledged eternal love to each other. Filled with a sense of guilt....

The two spent about a year together of pure bliss. The happy times soon waned and the sense of guilt and immorality (t/n: immoral soul is the most direct translation I can get but not sure if that's the best way to put it? Maybe a feeling that he lacked morals is better) smoldered deep in Ky's heart. However, those feelings were soon brought back due to a certain event: his wife's pregnancy.

As a loving young couple, the result itself was more than mysterious. When the doctor, who was one of the few who knew about their situation, told them of the pregnancy, the couple held hands and rejoiced.

However, the change in the half-Gear's body due to the pregnancy was strange compared to that of a human’s. Her abdomen (nn: more like her belly area), in simply 3 weeks, grew to the size of an adult human halfway through her pregnancy -- growth that was far too fast. Ky was soon reminded that his wife was a Gear and that the baby inside who shared her blood was also a Gear. The sense of sin that was brewing deep within him was suddenly revived. As if to seal the deal, the words that came out of the doctor’s mouth gave birth to a darkness within Ky.

[i cannot see the fetus. It seems like it is surrounded by a hard shell.]

[….so...that...what does it mean?]

Ky asked as he felt everything in front of him grow dark.

[The GEAR—I'm sorry...Your wife is laying an egg.] (t/n: I'm sorry, it's supposed to be serious but I can't figure out a way to word it without making it sound hilarious)

----------------------------------

The Holy War that had spanned many years left devastating damage all over the world and many people lost their homes. Despite that, people had to survive. Only survival was the supreme proposition. People during that time avoided war damages and worked together to develop new land and reconstructed towns.

Finally their efforts bore fruit. As the reconstruction of the towns progressed, the problems that were lying in the shadows surfaced. The community that was built solely on survival unintentionally became a melting pot of many strange ideals, philosophies and religions. Ironically people began to notice this abnormal situation with the reconstruction of the town. Luckily, the people knew all too well the bitterness of war and they avoided creating a large-scale conflict. Gathering towards other people with similar thoughts and religion, they naturally segregated themselves into their individual communities.

In response to the many communities being formed under the situation, the executives of the United Nations realized that these communities have an enormous amount of speech and influence. With that, they were successfully able to gain control of a large range of territory from across Europe to western Eurasia.

With that, the world appeared separated from the surface governing structure. It was with the efforts of the members of the United Nations as well as other states and local governments.

In recent years they began national restructuring in an effort to obtain a larger grasp on control/power. They sectioned off the states and local governments they currently controlled into three different regions and appointed kings. It was a large-scale transformation of the governing structure. Currently, two kingdoms were already founded and that left only one to go. This region was where Ky lived, Illyria. If the country already named [illyria Ren Koku] → [Allied Kingdom Illyria] was to be born, it would be ranked second in the world for total land size, but it would be first in the world in terms of market size. It was undeniable that it would become the central city for reconstruction of the human race.

That day, in response to an invitation, Ky was at UN headquarters. In a dim conference room, Ky was surrounded by people who claimed to be the United Nations Senate. (t/n: from this point on it starts to become more of Ky’s point of view) What did this sudden summoning mean? If it were found out that he was sheltering a gear, they wouldn’t have calmly sent out an invitation letter. Well regardless, I cannot let my guard down.

Ky: [Chief of the National Police Agency, Ky Kiske present.]

Delegate: [Today we summoned you for no other reason. We want your cooperation.]

Ky breathed a sigh of relief. It seemed like it was unrelated to his wife. He regained his composure. (t/n: this is the best I can translate it but literal is: his soul regained calm.)

[i am a public servant under the jurisdiction of the United Nations. I will obey proper orders, but are you waiting on jurisdiction to order me?]

Ky was testing the waters. At the same time it included the intent to explore the actual situation of this organization of these so-called Senates.

[it’s not an order, it’s cooperation. I believe I said that earlier?]

[Ah, I see. And..you want me to..?]

A short silence/pause. Then a man in a low voice cleared his throat and opened his mouth.

[We want you to become the king of the Allied Kingdom of Illyria.]

Ky was taken aback.

[The Allied Kingdom of Illyria is about to be established. At the end of the year there would be a national referendum to electing a king. We would like for you to run in this election.]

[You are a hero. Being a genius in both swordsmanship and magic, your young self became the head of the syndicate. Plus you’re a pretty boy (t/n: YES they actually say ‘bishounen’).]

[indeed. If it were you, you would be able to get more than enough votes from the general populace.]

[We will promise to back you up with all our efforts. It should be an irresistible offer for you, I believe...how about it?]

Ky hesitated. In fact, not too long ago, Ky seriously considered running as a candidate to become King. By becoming King, he would have the power to greatly change the world for the better: for the people who are suffering, for his wife and for his child that will be born...he wanted to change the world------This is the best chance! But....what is their incentive? Ky decided it would be best to wait and see.

[i am honored to receive your recommendation, but I am a military officer. I do not believe I can do politics.]

Choosing his words carefully he cautiously withheld his emotions. He was not expecting an obvious response but...

[That’s fine if you don’t do politics. You just have to keep your mouth shut and sit on the throne.]

There wasn’t a response more obvious than that. They wanted a puppet...a marionette that they could control however they wanted. What’s scary was that they didn’t even bother hiding it. That must have been their self-confidence showing. They already determined that I’m a person that they can just manipulate easily. In any case, right now I want time to think....

[...It’s not something I can make a quick judgement about. I would like some time to think...]

[...Yes. Well that’s fine. Then we’ll postpone this for now.]

[...Thank you very much.]

[...By the way your secret wife; she’s quite charming...]

[....huh?!]

[i feel like I’ve seen her before, your wife that is....I wonder where that was?]

A high-pitched voice rang. Those words came out of a mouth grinning with joy. Ky shuddered. They...they most likely know everything.

[We expect a good response...]

That day, Ky Kiske headed off to a familiar church early in the morning. In front of a statue of the Virgin Mary, he put his sword next to himself, and, as if collapsed, went down on one knee. The days of anguish have eaten away at his soul and body.

An answer still hadn’t come out. The path he must choose splits into many different ways. Once, he had the pride to fight and pursue the justice in which he himself believed. But...for what purpose does my justice exist? Whom will my justice help?

A place where humans and Gears can co-exist....Am I really able to create such a world?

Do I, who shoulders so much sin, have the qualifications to guide the world...?

He repeatedly asked himself. How much time passed......he began to hear footsteps from behind.

Rare for this time (for a person to visit the church).... Ky turned around, and the last man he wanted to be seen by appeared.

As hilarious as it is, the egg laying neatly explains how Dizzy could have been born 2-3 years after Justice's sealing.

And for extra points, a long time ago, someone on TvTropes compared Justice to the Queen Bee (thus making the crotch-spike a visual metaphor for Queen Bee's ovipositor).

Lol! Sin really was born from an egg.

Also, it's like Ky's wife is pretty much Dizzy in all but name.

Lol! Sin really was born from an egg.

Also, it's like Ky's wife is pretty much Dizzy in all but name.

It's 100% Dizzy, but sega owned her intellectual rights during this time. And wow thanks for the awesome translation, I feel really sorry him :/

I wonder how the U.N found out though.

It's 100% Dizzy, but sega owned her intellectual rights during this time. And wow thanks for the awesome translation, I feel really sorry him :/

I wonder how the U.N found out though.

It's Dizzy yeah, but saying it's 100% is still not really true considering after all that they've never just said 'oh yeah btw we couldn't name her at the time but it's Dizzy'. More like 99.9%. Then again they hate confirming anything (Faust and Baldhead, etc- notice they didn't name Faust in this story, either because of the copyright issue, though they could have used Baldhead maybe) that's blatantly obvious, which I never really understood.

How the UN found out... see I find this excerpt interesting:

[i feel like I’ve seen her before, your wife that is....I wonder where that was?]

A high-pitched voice rang. Those words came out of a mouth grinning with joy.

There's just something about the way it's worded specifically to be a high pitched voice.. grinning with joy etc. I really want to know who this spy who seems to imply they know Dizzy is. A spy in the Jellyfish, maybe? I just personally found this part to stand out as interesting.

Oh man, I have always wanted to know what happened between the old GG games and overture. Lots of things never seemed to be fully explained, so finding out there actually was an explaination and it was simply a case no one bothering to translate it until now is...great. Weird, but great. Ky clearly had it rough, but more than anything, it became obvious to him just how much of a naive puppet he was at the time. I love how much he developed over the franchise, honestly.

Then again they hate confirming anything (Faust and Baldhead, etc- notice they didn't name Faust in this story, either because of the copyright issue, though they could have used Baldhead maybe) that's blatantly obvious, which I never really understood.

Wait, Faust was the doctor who handled Dizzy's pregnancy?

How the UN found out... see I find this excerpt interesting:

There's just something about the way it's worded specifically to be a high pitched voice.. grinning with joy etc. I really want to know who this spy who seems to imply they know Dizzy is. A spy in the Jellyfish, maybe? I just personally found this part to stand out as interesting.

I think Ky's under surveillance by the government because he knows their fishy activities. As for the high pitched voice person, the only one I can think of is Crow because of his Accent Core laugh, but then it could be a new character. I really wish they could expand the universe more and we get more NPC's.

Oh man, I have always wanted to know what happened between the old GG games and overture. Lots of things never seemed to be fully explained, so finding out there actually was an explaination and it was simply a case no one bothering to translate it until now is...great. Weird, but great. Ky clearly had it rough, but more than anything, it became obvious to him just how much of a naive puppet he was at the time. I love how much he developed over the franchise, honestly.

yeah, I really love Ky's development and he wonderfully fleshes out the "knight of justice" archetype. Although it is very painful, it's very interesting how he will weigh between his family and his sense of honor. Overture proves that he's not exactly a good dad in a sense that he has no time for his son and probably a disciplinarian. Whether he's being coerced by the UN or not, Ky's been through a lot and he hasn't really healed yet. He practically missed his entire childhood and that is very important for a person.

Wait, Faust was the doctor who handled Dizzy's pregnancy?

Seems likely, it's always Faust. Probably he just randomly arrived and offered his help ... randomly XD

-- okay guys a question: Do you think Ky can possibly be a gray character? He's always been "white" LOL I mean his intentions are good and he's not lawful stupid, he only does good. Do you think it's possible that there will be a point where he'll trade his morals for his family's sake? Being a king doesn't really bring down his morals as he's not exactly doing a bad thing and even if he didn't accept the position, it's not that he can do anything to stop corruption. I just wonder if one day he has to murder someone to save people he love or whatever.

I think it would be interesting if it would also happen to Dizzy. The Drama CD proves it's possible for her to go nuts, and it would be interesting if Dizzy also becomes a gray character and begins making hard decisions for Ky or Sin's sake I wanna see that.

Do you think Ky can possibly be a gray character? He's always been "white" LOL I mean his intentions are good and he's not lawful stupid, he only does good. Do you think it's possible that there will be a point where he'll trade his morals for his family's sake? Being a king doesn't really bring down his morals as he's not exactly doing a bad thing and even if he didn't accept the position, it's not that he can do anything to stop corruption. I just wonder if one day he has to murder someone to save people he love or whatever.

I think it would be interesting if it would also happen to Dizzy. The Drama CD proves it's possible for her to go nuts, and it would be interesting if Dizzy also becomes a gray character and begins making hard decisions for Ky or Sin's sake I wanna see that.

You're implying here that Ky isn't already stained with blood... like he says himself, he's a military man. He was a soldier, he killed thousands of Gears. I don't think he'd have a problem with killing in general; it's killing innocents that he'd have a problem with, which is an important distinction. As to a battle of humans to humans, he'd do what's necessary as a military commander for his people.

And as for being put in a position of choosing on a personal level... I think he'd trust his family is strong enough to be able to take care of themselves without him having to sacrifice another life for their sake.

---

Sol's story *should* be up later tonight! Finishing edits now.

Sol's Story

In the not-too-distant future, Illyria- the land that was thought to become the capital of the world, was lined with modern-day architecture.

A man who worked as a bounty hunter taking down gears- Sol Badguy- visited the city in response to an acquaintance's request during the Winter, close to New Years Eve.

[..I believe he’s at the church right up there.]

After finishing her explanation, the woman added, [Please help him...] (t/n: this part in japanese doesn’t specifically state help but it suggests to do SOMETHING to that person in an assisting way) and bowed her head. Her long hair that was tied together with a ribbon fell like silk off her back.

[so troublesome....]

Still with a sour look, Sol responded frankly. It wasn’t as if he was in ill humor. Anyone who knew him would think that this was his normal state.

[...This is the kid?]

Sol said while lowering his line of sight. During this whole time, Sol held interest in the little boy who stood behind his mother’s skirt as if to hide -- he was looking at Sol with fearful eyes. He looked about three to four years old. He had pale blonde hair, skin as white as porcelain, and was well-equipped facial features and a left eye that shone light green. In addition, he had on an outfit that wrapped everything together nicely.

In one small hand he held tightly on the woman’s skirt, and in the other he preciously hugged a stuffed doll the size of his face. If he had not had prior knowledge that the child was a boy, Sol would have probably mistaken the child for a girl. There was something uncanny about how perfectly his features fit. In such a composition of harmonious features, there was a remarkably denoting and eye-grabbing part. It was his right eye.

The right eye was covered by an eye patch as if to hide something sinister. That one feature broke the balance of the otherwise masterful harmony that was being played and was creepily real. For a moment, Sol forgot to blink and stared. Perhaps Sol’s attention got to him, but the boy, too young to even be called a lad, diverted his eyes and hid even further back into his mother’s shadow.

[...Yes, He’s my-...our child. He came to this world about half an year ago.]

Sol confirmed the information. The boy was already up to his mother’s waist in height; far too large for being born just half a year ago. Naturally, this was not possible considering normal human growth rate. The mother’s expression became one of sadness. Normally, this should have been the happiest time of her life, however, she could not experience all the joy that came with this time in their situation.

Sol’s gait walking on the cobblestones was heavy. In the early afternoon, the crowd in the exclusive area segmented for senior bureaucrats was sparse. Perhaps they were preparing lunch---the smoke from the private houses itched his nose and his stomach growled.

As he entered the alley and turned, the view soon opened up to a stone building.

He opened the door and entered. The inside was a large opening that was rather dim, and the air was even drier than the outside. There was some light coming from above. It seemed to be shining through the stained glass on the walls.

If you had lowered your line of sight back to the front, right below the stained glass, there was the statue of the Virgin Mary. And, at the Virgin Mary’s feet was a youth on one knee devoting his prayers. There was no one else. Lying next to the youth was his favorite sword. (e/n: This leads into the scene at the end of Ky’s story.)

‘How many years has it been since I last saw him? The last time was...’ while swimming in his thoughts, the youth noticed the footsteps and suddenly raised his head and turned.

“........Sol?”

In those words there was a mix of surprise and confusion. Their eyes met. In an instant, Sol took a deep breath and furrowed his brow. Standing there was a man far from the Ky Kiske he remembered. His cheeks were thin and devoid of their usual color, large bags had formed under his eyes, his lips were dry and chapped, and there was no light in his eyes. And above all else, Ky was sporting an eyepatch just like the child named Sin had over his right eye.

“Heh....I see...”

He spoke, allowing his state of incredulity to be apparent in his voice. Ky didn’t respond. Silence. A cold air surrounded the two of them. As a bell rang stirring the dry air and marking the time of day, Ky was the first to break the silence.

[...What did you... come here for?]

Perhaps his throat was dry. He spit out his words as if he were squeezing them out.

[Your God asked me to come here. He said that your confession was taking too long.]

[...What do you mean...?]

Ky muttered, as if he was brushing off Sol’s comment. However, without even waiting for Ky to finish speaking, he closed the distance with a lunging tackle. Ky quickly twisted his body as if he was rolling sideways to evade the attack.

“What are you doing!?”

“Your face has gotten even more irritating than before...”

“Enough, quit joking around!”

Ky furiously kicked the floor and grabbed Sol. Sol didn’t bother moving from where he was and grabbed and raised the arm that stretched towards him.

“What would you...what would you know about my justice!”

Every sentence, as if trying to squeeze out the words, Ky screamed. It rang as if he were asking himself.

“I don’t give a damn about your Justice!”

Sol’s great sword swung to the side and shattered the air. Instinctively, Ky used his Thunderseal to block the attack. The two swords clashed violently, sparks flew, and the deafening clang echoed throughout the room.

“Heh, I’ll play with you. Oh, and come at me with all you got.”

Ky bit his lips and tightened his grip. He confined his bloodthirst, and lightning dwelled in his Thunderseal.

As if bored, Sol used his brute strength to counter Ky’s lightning-fast attack.

“Your confession starts now!”

-----------------------------

After crossing swords multiple times, they distanced themselves. Most of Ky’s attacks were either evaded, bounced back, or even countered. Ky’s mentality and physical state had never been perfect from the start. Unable to hide his fatigue, he leaned on his blade gasping for breath. On the other hand, Sol was completely composed and showed no signs of weariness.

“What’s the matter? Is this all you got?”

“....*pant*...N-Not yet!”

Gathering his willpower, Ky stood up once more. The sweat from his forehead dripped down. At some point, the color returned to Ky’s face. The glint in his eyes also regained their former brilliance.

“Seems like your face is lookin’ a bit better, yeah?....nah, still not enough!”

Sol took up his sword again. In response to his movements, Ky also put up his guard. Sol took one large step forward. Just at that moment, the blade was going to swing down---

“S-STOP!”

Something that didn’t fit in this brutal scene was clinging at his feet.

“...Sin!?”

“What is it kid? What’s up?”

Sin desperately grabbed onto Sol’s legs and would not dare let go.

“I hate daddy... but ..if daddy gets hurt, mommy would cry. And I..I won’t forgive anyone who makes mommy cry!”

“...I see. Kid, you’re not scared of me?”

It was obvious that the kid was scared of Sol. Even now his face looked as if he was about to cry. His hand that had been holding the stuffed doll was slightly shaking.

“I..I am scared. But...I-I won’t forgive!!”

He was able to declare firmly to a large adult more than twice his size.

Ky’s sword fell from his hand and hit the floor. A tear that had formed out of his right eye became a drop and rolled down his cheek.

“Sigh...even your son is a bigger man than you are.”

Sol scratched his head.

-----------------------------

“Sol....I want to request something...”

“...hnn?”

“My son....Sin..can you take care of him for a while?”

“...what did you say?”

“I know it’s unreasonable but...I still want to ask...”

Caught by surprise by the sudden request, Sol hesitated for once. The person in question, whether he understood the conversation or not, hesitantly looked back and forth at the two.

“...Is that the answer you came up with?”

Sol asks back.

“...No. But, can you give me a little bit of time? At least until I can make a world where he and my wife can smile...”

Ky answered without hesitation, and Sol put on a fearless smile.

“Heh...you won’t have any complaints on what kind of man he becomes right?”

You're implying here that Ky isn't already stained with blood... like he says himself, he's a military man. He was a soldier, he killed thousands of Gears. I don't think he'd have a problem with killing in general; it's killing innocents that he'd have a problem with, which is an important distinction. As to a battle of humans to humans, he'd do what's necessary as a military commander for his people.

And as for being put in a position of choosing on a personal level... I think he'd trust his family is strong enough to be able to take care of themselves without him having to sacrifice another life for their sake.

---

Sol's story *should* be up later tonight! Finishing edits now.

Well what I meant is that Ky has always done things for the greater good. I know he has killed a lot of Gears and killed criminals but it's for the good of society. I wonder if he will come to a point where he *might* kill innocents and he will kill or do something really shady for his or his own family's benefit and not for the sake of society. Ky almost doesn't do anything for himself and he's willing to throw his life away for strangers. Precisely this is the same thing Sin questions about his character and it's interesting to see Ky at least battle for his own life and it would be intruiging if he will choose between his morals and his preservation for the sake of his family.

Ky is so awesome I love thinking of him in different situations. :)

THANKS for the translation and WHUT Ky has an eyepatch!?

Edit:

So is this the first time we see Ky shed tears besides his meeting with Kliff at the manga? *my heart explodes*

Well what I meant is that Ky has always done things for the greater good. I know he has killed a lot of Gears and killed criminals but it's for the good of society. I wonder if he will come to a point where he *might* kill innocents and he will kill or do something really shady for his or his own family's benefit and not for the sake of society. Ky almost doesn't do anything for himself and he's willing to throw his life away for strangers. Precisely this is the same thing Sin questions about his character and it's interesting to see Ky at least battle for his own life and it would be intruiging if he will choose between his morals and his preservation for the sake of his family.

I rarely give big write ups of personal interpretations over the internet but I'll do it just this once, and hopefully people understand what I'm trying to say.

First off, if we look as the creator of GG, Daisuke Ishiwatari, he was born in South Africa probably during the apartheid regime. I'm not gonna go into racial issues here and I'm sure most dustloop members are fairly educated so I don't need to explain the racial issues that took place in South Africa for the majority of the 20th century, if you don't then do some googling. Nevertheless, I feel that Daisuke's time there has influences in the (somewhat convulted) plot of Guilty Gear. For instance the separation of Gears from humanity and their stigmatization as good for nothing creatures only capable of doing harm to society, and the 100 year long war. This war created a stigmatization of Gears of otherwise good natured people like Ky Kiske, whom simply thought all Gears are inherently evil in nature, as one would expect to believe since they tried to wipe out humanity. As such, being a Gear in the post-Crusade war is a major problem since human beings will persecute you and aim to kill you, simply because you're a sentient Gear.

However as the plot of this game has evolved, we can see that not all Gears are evil, as it was hinted in Ky's GG1 ending. We've witnessed Dizzy, the first half-Gear whom hates violence and conflict and does her best to prevent while holding unimaginable power within her. There are other non-violent Gears who have appeared like Dr. Paradigm and to some level Testament. As such Ky's beliefs and "justice" have been affected by these experiences, while at first he wanted to achieve what was best for the prosperity for humanity, his beliefs have expanded to include Gears as well. This is especially due to Dizzy, whom he has to keep a watchful eye over simply because she is a Gear, and to worsen the situation she is his wife. Now he seeks to bring about cohesion between gears and humanity around the world for the greater good between the two conflicting species. I refer to his new post-AC beliefs as a "macro-justice", since he wants to help as many as possible even if he doesn't know these people on a personal level, which I'll refer back to later on.

These beliefs he fights for are not that different from nelson Mandela, the most well known freedom fighter during the Apartheid regime in South Africa where Daisuke grew up. Who sought to bring about cohesion between the different "racial groups" that reside in South Africa, namely blacks and whites. While his pursuits were largely successful in making that a reality by bringing an end to the regime and encouraging whites to remain in the country, much to the resentment of other freedom fighters, his personal issues did not end. I read his self-written autobiography and while, we would all consider his life successful and to be seen as a shining example of what a person or group of people can do to change the world, he saw himself as a failure.

This is because while he fought for his "macro-justice", which was for the people of South Africa, he was unable to be a family man/father/husband throughout his ordeals. Since he was occupied with bringing about the end of a racial regime and creating a cohesion between warring racial groups, he was unable to attend to his family. He missed out on his kids' birthdays, their first days at school, the first time they ever walked, or even when they got married. Since he was either on the run from the police living a life underground to keep his family safe, or in jail serving time for fighting what he believed was right. As such when he looked back on his life he became the father of a reborn South Africa, as he was elected president when he got out of jail, but was unable to be a father to his real family because of what he fought for.

Sin's belief in justice is a product of Ky's decisions as a father/husband/king. Because he was busy fighting for what was right and the safety of those he barely even knew, he was unable to be a father and a husband. To Sin, this was painful to experience since he was neglected by his father over those they barely even knew simply because Ky was trying to do what was right. To Sin, it doesn't make any sense why you would risk your life to protect someone you barely know over those who personally mean a greater deal more to you. In a sense Sin does believe in justice, but an altered one from Ky, I would call it "micro-justice". He is concerned with the safety of those he personally considers close to him rather than outsiders he knows nothing about. This is because he has felt the brunt of Ky's "macro-justice" of trying to change the world, it prevents you from attending to those closest to you, which can create resentment like the case with Sin.

While Ky is regarded a a great leader to the people of Illyria, he personally sees himself as a failure at being a father and husband since he was unable to attend to his family because he was occupied with his "macro-justice" concerning those who fall under his protection, even if he barely knew them at all. Very similar to Nelson Mandela's life throughout his exploits in bringing down the Apartheid regime in South Africa.

Though Ky has evolved considerably as a character, since he fights for all living species and not just for humanity anymore. However, he still a very much conflicted character, whose actions have had negative impacts on Sin's personality and beliefs.

To further illustrate what I'm saying about "macro-justice" and "micro-justice", mission 16 from GG2 really helps. Specifically Sin and Ky's convo before the battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dZyxCaBBXE8#t=89s

I can't believe I wrote all of this -__-

Anyways I hope it actually makes sense and isn't just ridiculed. Sorry for the typos, if any.

^ Thanks for the write-up, I understand ^_^ But I've watched the cutscene already a dozen of times I'm familiar with the material. The Nelson Mandela similarities is something new to me though, although in Ky's case I find it reasonable that people would hate Gears. Unlike black people who are the ones actually oppressed, Gears practically almost wiped out humanity and cases like Dizzy, Dr. P and Testament are so miniscule that it's not enough to convince people that Gears aren't evil. People will not easily buy "they were controlled by Justice" explanation because they would also get the impression that Gears are easily manipulated and have no will on their own.

Which goes back to Dizzy because... she's the only known Command type Gear! She's not just an ordinary Gear, she ca practically repeat the Holy War if she wants to.Of all the Gears in the planet Dizzy is the one people fear the most and want to disappear. Now I doubt people who want to get rid of her are all evil, probably some of them are like Ky who just wants society to be safe. Now I wanna see Ky face that dilemma, because the enemy of his family may not necessarily be an enemy of humanity, or that his political enemies will be supported by the masses as they still fear Gears. Ky is the leader people have been looking for, and people had this notion that he's the champion of humanity against Gears just imagine if the public finds out that he married one and fathered another.

^ Thanks for the write-up, I understand ^_^ But I've watched the cutscene already a dozen of times I'm familiar with the material. The Nelson Mandela similarities is something new to me though, although in Ky's case I find it reasonable that people would hate Gears. Unlike black people who are the ones actually oppressed, Gears practically almost wiped out humanity and cases like Dizzy, Dr. P and Testament are so miniscule that it's not enough to convince people that Gears aren't evil. People will not easily buy "they were controlled by Justice" explanation because they would also get the impression that Gears are easily manipulated and have no will on their own.

Which goes back to Dizzy because... she's the only known Command type Gear! She's not just an ordinary Gear, she ca practically repeat the Holy War if she wants to.Of all the Gears in the planet Dizzy is the one people fear the most and want to disappear. Now I doubt people who want to get rid of her are all evil, probably some of them are like Ky who just wants society to be safe. Now I wanna see Ky face that dilemma, because the enemy of his family may not necessarily be an enemy of humanity, or that his political enemies will be supported by the masses as they still fear Gears. Ky is the leader people have been looking for, and people had this notion that he's the champion of humanity against Gears just imagine if the public finds out that he married one and fathered another.

That's why he sent Sin to go with Sol in the first place, the public would be in a frenzy if they ever found out about Ky's fatherhood of a gear and marrying of one.

So you're asking then, basically, if Ky would destroy (if he could) Dizzy or Sin if they went berserk (I mean like, totally berserk, not 5 min brainwashing)?

The answer is yes. Without a doubt, in my mind.

Thanks for doing Sol's! Glad to see he is still just as much of a cool asshole as always.

As far the current topic goes, that is some amazing stuff you wrote there Blade. I had no idea how much Ky's character was influenced by those events. Don't really have much to say about it myself other than I'm curious as to whether Ky's situation is going to get any better in the future and if he will be forced to pick between those he care or Humanity and Gears in general.

This is exactly what Ky is fighting for, to change that notion and to create a cohesive existence between the two species, whether he'll get that accomplished is another issue. Dr.P is alsot eh LEADER of a civilization of Gears who live off the international grid in their own Utopia, so there are quite a few Gears that are still sentience and do not want violence. If these experiences were enough to change Ky, then whose to say more people can't? Though, yes it would take quite a bit of convincing to do so. But remember what Ky constantly says to Crow during AC Story mode; "don't underestimate people!"

Which goes back to Dizzy because... she's the only known Command type Gear! She's not just an ordinary Gear, she ca practically repeat the Holy War if she wants to.

Which is actually the correct GG story line, where Ky dies (as he's supposed to during the Crusades), as such Dizzy ends up taking over command over the Gears and continues the Holy Wars after Justice dies. So yes, what you say is entirely plausible. However, thanks to Ky and the Jellyfish Pirates, Dizzy is a peaceful girl who has full control over her powers and won't go berserk since she has many humans she cares about.

Now I doubt people who want to get rid of her are all evil, probably some of them are like Ky who just wants society to be safe. Now I wanna see Ky face that dilemma, because the enemy of his family may not necessarily be an enemy of humanity, or that his political enemies will be supported by the masses as they still fear Gears. Ky is the leader people have been looking for, and people had this notion that he's the champion of humanity against Gears just imagine if the public finds out that he married one and fathered another.

While yes this does put him in a dilemma since he is a shining example of what humanity is capable of. He's the most powerful 100% human in the series, which even Sol comments on it as it doesn't make any sense. But also this also gives him the opportunity to change the minds of the masses since he's such a shining example.

During the Decolonization of Africa, a lot of Pan-Africans both within and outside of South Africa were telling Mandela that he was a traitor to their cause since he was willing to cooperate with the whites during their war against Apartheid and post-Apartheid regime. However he explained that they were as much citizens of South Africa now, as much as the blacks were and cooperation was necessary in order to bring about progress in South Africa. Which many later on agreed with him. Contrarily if Mandela had been Euro-centric prior to such statements, he would have been outcast by his fellow Pan-Africans. So Ky can achieve his goals, but he has to be careful of his public image.

So you're asking then, basically, if Ky would destroy (if he could) Dizzy or Sin if they went berserk (I mean like, totally berserk, not 5 min brainwashing)?

The answer is yes. Without a doubt, in my mind.

Wait what?

Thanks for doing Sol's! Glad to see he is still just as much of a cool asshole as always.

As far the current topic goes, that is some amazing stuff you wrote there Blade. I had no idea how much Ky's character was influenced by those events. Don't really have much to say about it myself other than I'm curious as to whether Ky's situation is going to get any better in the future and if he will be forced to pick between those he care or Humanity and Gears in general.

As Sin put it, "you're always about the people and will continue to fight for them". Ky's beliefs will never change so long as he has "HOPE" inscribed on him, he wants to guarantee the hope of all living species of a better tomorrow, his experiences during the Crusades really shaped him as a character. These experiences are things Sin personally never went through, but maybe he can alter them since he has seen first hand that things are not as easy as you thought they would be when you were younger.

But now Sin has a better understanding of Ky's justice however, Sin will continue to follow his. In a sense I guess Daisuke is just showing how "justice" can harm those we never intentionally aimed to harm and how we all have different notions of justice, and regardless of which ever one we believe in, we will hurt good natured people no matter what.

P.S Do you guys know about the experiecnes that caused Ky to inscribe "HOPE" onto his attire?

I was replying to dancel.

The belt inscriptions are never explained within canon, I've read plenty of fics about it though.

Seriously though, an important thing to realize about GG story is... most things will never be explained, much less explicitly so. By now, you must have noticed they're fond of only implying things at most? While we've been going over these translations, a lot of the language used is very... how to put it... well, implicit, or subtle. You're supposed to fill things in for yourself.

^

Yeah... I believe Ky is strong enough to destroy his own family for the good of humanity but the damage to him I just can't imagine.

As for Ky's "HOPE" belt I believe I read somewhere that it was because 6 knights sacrificed their lives to save him, I forgot where I read it.

As for Ky's "HOPE" belt I believe I read somewhere that it was because 6 knights sacrificed their lives to save him, I forgot where I read it.

That's entirely headcanon or a fanfic, or you were lied to, then, lol. It's absolutely never addressed in canon.