Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kitsoru

GG2: Overture Story Translations (**Updated w/ Sin's!)

gdlk explanation.

Damn. I didn't completely see it that way, as I never really played Overture. Just watched bits and pieces through a walkthrough and read some stuff about what happened in the game. So I knew what happened in general, just not the finer details. Your comparison to Nelson Mandela was spot on and I wonder why I didn't think to make the comparison myself, but it was a great one. Stay gdlk Ky. And Blade for the insight.

Hmmm.... I'm not sure about the never-addressed part. Didn't Blade translate that or something?

http://gear-project.tumblr.com/post/24114260507/weve-seen-in-the-alteri-fell-kinda-stupid-for-asking

While that was an interesting read, all that isnt canon. Right? First time I've seen a lot of that info

While that was an interesting read, all that isnt canon. Right? First time I've seen a lot of that info

After reading that, I am pretty sure that I heard most of what was written there 10 years ago when I got into Guilty Gear.

Concerning BladeofJustice's write-up, it's honestly better to take it with a good amount of salt. Ishiwatari's birthplace is indeed South Africa, but that doesn't mean he was raised there; it's entirely possible that his parents moved to Japan not long after, or that they were just visiting and he happened to be born there. And even if he were raised there, that doesn't necessarily mean he was exposed to the nature of apartheid, especially if he didn't stay there until he was old enough to comprehend it. So unless he himself says otherwise, it's better to look at Blade's post as akin to headcanon, as, if anything, he's more likely to have been influenced by anime, since he's been open about its influence on the series and there are titles predating the first game with similar themes.

Concerning BladeofJustice's write-up, it's honestly better to take it with a good amount of salt. Ishiwatari's birthplace is indeed South Africa, but that doesn't mean he was raised there; it's entirely possible that his parents moved to Japan not long after, or that they were just visiting and he happened to be born there. And even if he were raised there, that doesn't necessarily mean he was exposed to the nature of apartheid, especially if he didn't stay there until he was old enough to comprehend it. So unless he himself says otherwise, it's better to look at Blade's post as akin to headcanon, as, if anything, he's more likely to have been influenced by anime, since he's been open about its influence on the series and there are titles predating the first game with similar themes.

Your right that Daisuke may have not been influenced from those events in South Africa, but Blade does bring up a good point. If it was a coincidence it was a coincidence, if he did base themes in GG after it then he did. Only Daisuke knows. It's just that Blades post pointed out the similarities between Ky and Mandela to help some other readers understand what Ky was going through. It's what I think he was trying to accomplish. I know it helped me understand things a bit better.

After reading that, I am pretty sure that I heard most of what was written there 10 years ago when I got into Guilty Gear.

I meant some things like I-No being found among some Gear, the way Ky etched H0PE on his buckle, this Malbeth character, etc.

That's entirely headcanon or a fanfic, or you were lied to, then, lol. It's absolutely never addressed in canon.

I believe it was mentioned in the LtA novel... which I never read and I just relied on Blade's translations.

LOL I love how this becomes the "Ky Kiske" thread. Again the eyepatch mystifies me. Any ideas?

just noticed this thread and wow these translations are very interesting.

are these from the same art book as the story of the early days of the gear project with That Man, Fred and Aria? or is that something different?

Hmmm.... I'm not sure about the never-addressed part. Didn't Blade translate that or something?

http://gear-project.tumblr.com/post/24114260507/weve-seen-in-the-alteri-fell-kinda-stupid-for-asking

>Taking something Blade translated seriously

when he is done with the translations i might make a fanmade pdf book file for it

If you mean these ones, please ask permission first.

I believe it was mentioned in the LtA novel... which I never read and I just relied on Blade's translations.

I'll ask the person on tumblr who has been going through LtA, then, since they actually... read Japanese. Blade does not have access to LtA anyway from what he's said, so I doubt he got it from there.

It's more of his personal headcanon, like his assumptions about the OutRage and the elements.

Maybe he's just wearing it so Sin isn't as self-conscious about his own eyepatch.

This is my assumption as well.

just noticed this thread and wow these translations are very interesting.

are these from the same art book as the story of the early days of the gear project with That Man, Fred and Aria? or is that something different?

Yes, the Overture Materials Collection.

^

I have a copy of the LtA but transcribed in Korean, someone gave it to me because I requested it (I had a friend who translates Korean but sadly he was busy that time...) I think I ran it up in google translate, but it's been a long time I'll try to confirm if the HOPE belt story is mentioned.

Edit:

I dunno it may be a good idea to differentiate Blade from Blade of Justice because people might get confused :v:

I dunno it may be a good idea to differentiate Blade from Blade of Justice because people might get confused :v:

^This I've never been through a thread and felt so insulted and praised at the same time.

I also have a translation of Lightning the Argent as well as Butterfly and its Gale (Chipp's side story). I don't remember where I got the translations though, it's been so many years ago. I'll respond to posts directed to me tomorrow, amazing how this has turned into a Ky/storymode thread.

Yes, the Overture Materials Collection.

ah interesting. anyway i found Suzaku's translations of overture stories which were posted in 2009.

That Man

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?4653-Guilty-Gear-Stories-%28spoilers-abound!%29/page118&p=364359&viewfull=1#post364359

Raven

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?4653-Guilty-Gear-Stories-%28spoilers-abound!%29/page121&p=364824&viewfull=1#post364824

given the surprising length of the old GG background/story thread, it'll probably need to be restarted in a new thread in the time leading up to Xrd's release (which is going to be 2015 now, right?)

Yeah no when I say Blade, I mean that Blade, not Bladeofjustice lol

ah interesting. anyway i found Suzaku's translations of overture stories which were posted in 2009.

That Man

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?4653-Guilty-Gear-Stories-%28spoilers-abound!%29/page118&p=364359&viewfull=1#post364359

Raven

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?4653-Guilty-Gear-Stories-%28spoilers-abound!%29/page121&p=364824&viewfull=1#post364824

given the surprising length of the old GG background/story thread, it'll probably need to be restarted in a new thread in the time leading up to Xrd's release (which is going to be 2015 now, right?)

Yeah, since Suzaku already did those, we're just doing the ones that were never finished.

Funny that Blade pretty much lists these as his own on his scribd or whatever. Would explain why they're actually well translated though :v:

...on that topic, we took the weekend off, so Sin should be finished up this week hopefully! We haven't decided what we're doing next but probably Valentine or Izuna. We might skip Paradigm for now since no one cares about him anyway lol

We might skip Paradigm for now since no one cares about him anyway lol

I like paradigm. I think he's represents aspect of the story we haven't really seen yet, which is a Gear Intellectual in charge of a functioning society of Gears. Given Ky's new internal conflict on making a world based on coexistence, I think he'd be pretty important.

Also he's a dragon, not a bird. :eng101:

I hate everything about Paradigm; lame character, terrible theme, but if there's something actually interesting in his story [which I assume there has to be SOMETHING of merit] then yeah it'd be nice to have, but I'd pretty much prioritize everyone over him ; -;

I'm looking forward to Valentine's.

I hate everything about Paradigm; lame character, terrible theme, but if there's something actually interesting in his story [which I assume there has to be SOMETHING of merit] then yeah it'd be nice to have, but I'd pretty much prioritize everyone over him ; -;

I'm looking forward to Valentine's.

This is pretty much our feeling, LOL

I am INCREDIBLY SORRY for my late response to this thread! D:

Thanks a TON for all your hard work, all of you involved!

Also regarding Sol's story...I'm still not 100% sure what the "white to white" term refers to in the Japanese in regards to Ky (probably relates to Thunderseal). But I do know that Ky likely got that eyepatch of his by accident whilst training and not out of sympathy to Sin.

Also, I said this before, but I'm pretty sure the Post-War Administration Bureau is closely tied to the United Nations, so likely the "evil grin" is someone Ky either knows (Crow?) or someone related to Crow.

Crow said that so long as Ky keeps hanging out with Gears, that Ky would meet him again.

From what I see, they're hoping to turn Sin into the next big weapon, hence Ky shivering.

Looking forward to further stuff: Sin, Izuna, Paradigm, and especially Valentine!

Edit: As for Suzaku's translations, I kept those as an archive on my Scribd account for that reason. I credit him in the document. He knows about it.

Oh no whatever were we going to do without your insight

Also regarding Sol's story...I'm still not 100% sure what the "white to white" term refers to in the Japanese in regards to Ky (probably relates to Thunderseal). But I do know that Ky likely got that eyepatch of his by accident whilst training and not out of sympathy to Sin.

...I have no idea what you're talking about here, and the translator doesn't either. If it was in the story, we would have said. Point this out?

The passage is right around where Ky is 'squeezing out his words'...

それはまるで白問白答している響きがあった。

Though it might relate more to his emotional state and I'm way off about it and it doesn't explain the patch Ky wore obviously (it was just something someone asked me a while ago).

Also, regarding Faust being the doctor during the birthing... Yeah that's unclear, since I hadn't fully translated it at the time, he'd seem like he'd be the only one involved (since it's likely Dizzy whom Faust met).

Edit: But then again, I could be wrong and it could be someone like Crow (who was in fact a former doctor according to Slayer).

Pretty much, but to be fair, Overture as a story was self-contained and didn't leave room for much detail.