Sign in to follow this  
Zerite

Accent Core : Zappa

Some silly things I'll add to this. As most (if not all) of you know when using 236p and getting Dog. Dog is able to move before you recover. I tend to tap 8D anytime I get a blocked 236p. Now this wont stop people from punish you with quick pokes, but there are chances someone screws up punish timing or try to use slower pokes to punish for whatever reason. Dog will sometimes take the hit for you. Obviously this only works if you luck out and get Dog on blocked 236p. I'm not sure if this was shown in a video before (I want to say it was), but on 236 I tend to tap 2D and if Dog is out, it will start the bite. This wont otg the opponent, but if you hit them with an otg 2p or 2s before the bite connects it becomes a simple 6 orb combo. It's use is pretty limited since in order for dog to be in range for the bite, you have to hit with a stand alone 236p or a small combo like 2p,2k,236p or 6p,236p. Opponents that were airborne are usually out of range as well. Now for something a bit more useful, with 2-stage Doggy my fav old string from #r and slash is usable! 2k, c.5s, 5h, 5D now becomes 2k, c.5s, 5D, 5h, 5D <---Some variations of this leading into 2HS semi-inf were shown in "Song for" Before, my friends knew to just hit me after c.5s (I failed at mixup) 2 stage doggy now makes 5h much more usable, abusable in my case. 5s, 4d->d is now one of my favorite things to do to meaty cornered opponents. Outside of reversals I haven't seen many options that will stop a well timed 5s from connecting (block or hit). Combined with well timed 4D->D it is virtually unblockable; true unblockable it seems, but I am not certain. If I am correct, it cannot be instant-jumped (or w/e its called). Correct me if I'm wrong though. The only reason I do this instead of the 5s, 2D is that 5s,4D.D can be done when dog is out of 2D range. This can also be used in conjunction with the prior, usually when the dog is too far to connect another 2D. Another advantage this has is one can combo after the 4D>D while still leading into a knockdown, providing some extra damage. If the opponent stands when hit with the 5s,4d>d combination, you can dash, 2p,2k,c.5s,2D,5s(2D connects) for a knockdown with dog usually at the edge of 2D's range If opponent crouches one can dash (2k),c.2HS semi of your choice. If you like, you can end loop with 4D>D, dash, 2p,2k,c.5s,2d,5s(2D connects) for a knockdown since 6H is gay now :( Another benefit of 2 stage doggy is that there is now an easy way to wedge dog in corner behind opponent. With this, you can simply far 5s, 2D forever. Anytime the dog is behind the opponent you can gatling into 2D>4D. Dog will flip into the corner allowing forever-rape to ensue. Midscreen 6D, dash, 2p, 6D, 2k, 6p, c.5s, 2D, 5s, (2D hits)>4D. The second 6D travels over the opponent and places doggy in great position for this. I wish I had a capture device for a better visual but I don't :(. On hit, this string works great. On block, however, it works provided your opponent doesn't FD or DA. Still working on a shorter setup for this.

Yeah most 2nd attacks lose what what makes them special.

8D, I don't think gives you a soul

2D, is blockable (no soul?)

4D D, no longer an overhead.

2D is still unblockable, just doesn't give orbs on second attack.

I don't know about anyone else, but I freaking love the new sword. Usually after I land a sword swipe, you don't need to FRC and can run in and get a free OTG uppercut/orb. Doesn't do a lot of damage, but it's a quick way to annoy your opponent (doesn't work on wallbounce unless it's counterhit, and even then you can just combo from it).

One thing I found out on accident while fighting a friend, you can actually negative edge out of throwbreaks. This happened as I was doing the swordswipe and he attempted to grab me just as I hit HS, which caused a throwbreak. He blocked it, and it's not reliable in the slightest as throwbreaks can happen at any random time, but it's a fun little thing to know.

With the sword, midscreen, 63214HS FRC 66 5S (I believe either close or far will work, depends on how close you can get) 2HS(1hit) 8 j.K j.S 8 j.K j.S j.HS 236HS

That also works in the corner with some tweaking (don't need to dash if your fast enough).

Here's another fun midscreen combo, though it's pretty simple and short, it's prime for causing rage:

c.5S 2HS (both hits) 63214HS -It will all connect as well as giving an orb and knockdown. Run up for the OTG uppercut if you feel like it. This will not work in the corner, the second hit whiffs (it may also be character specific due to size).

Edit: Almost forgot: After quite some time playing Sol, I found out a few ways to get around his stuff. A properly timed unsummon can beat Grand Viper, and dashing in 2K, if timed perfectly, can get around gunflame's startup (you have to cancel into summon to invulnerable through it all). You have to be right in there face for it to work, and the momentum from the dash should carry you through the startup.

Hey do any of you ever use Ghost: [2s(whiff), 2h] at all? Using 2h before the ghost returns to Zappa increases the range of 2h quite a bit (farther than Ghost: 5s) My problem is I can't find any real situation that I could use it rather than some other option. It is a deceivingly long poke though but if you consider whiffing 2s as startup, then its ridiculously slow. I try to look at the 2s whiff as a space keeper or something more so than startup but I dunno. I catch people off guard with it every once in awhile, but it never comes to mind to try it outside of training mode. Any ideas?

I only use far 2H in block stings only in a different method. Usually when you have your opponent in a blocksting you'll experience pushback. While you're pushing away from your opponent, the ghosts have to reach farther to hit the opponent. If I hit 2H right when the ghosts' previous attack connects, the 2H pokes out a lot farther than normal because the ghost was already there waling on the opponent.:eng101:

Yea thats kinda how I use it now. It's great how if the opponent blocks a max range 5s, then 2h will still reach them most of the time. Ah well

No, you can definitely block it. It's a Level 6 attack.

Your right, my bad. I usually don't use the dog bite after an attack unless I'm doing a dog bite trap in the corner or something (which means I've already hit them).

Regarding sword play: What is the best way to approach someone if they're turtling on you? I've had no luck leading in with j.HS and j.D, would it be better to just stay at medium range and poke them until they open up? Or should I unsummon and try to get ghosts out?

Regarding sword play: What is the best way to approach someone if they're turtling on you? I've had no luck leading in with j.HS and j.D, would it be better to just stay at medium range and poke them until they open up? Or should I unsummon and try to get ghosts out?

Generally speaking, aerial rushdown with the sword is asking for trouble. It will work on some characters, or those who don't have much experience, but even with j.HS j.236HS, unless you RC, you're gonna get grabbed or killed. Best rushdown tactic with the sword is to run in with 236S, which has priority over a lot of moves (but not all, be careful not to overuse it, it can be punished pretty easily) or attempt a 6P, 5K, f.S or 5HS tactic. For instance, 6P 2D 236S FRC f.S 2HS aircombo works off of one of Zappa's best moves, 6P, and if you can do the FRC, gives you a huge opportunity for damage. This combo will also work with 5K, 2S 2D as well.

As for blocked pressure strings, unless you FRC 236S or get a counterhit into the followup, don't use it as your gonna get punished even worse.

I've seen an aerial j.HS FRC j.S j.S land c.S 2D etc work before as well. Risky, but nice reward.

What's the timing window like on the FRC 236S? I've always had issues pulling it off, especially when I try stuff like 2K 2D 236S (F)RC 2HS JC into an air combo.

Zappa's FRC timing for his sword's 236S is probably his most difficult one to master because its distance dependent. Its right around the first few frames where Zappa is able to perform his HS follow-up which, once again, varies depending how far of a distance you've traveled before you hit your opponent on your first hit. But the FRC is relatively soon after the first hit if that helps. To see what I'm talking about, go to the start menu then go to "Display" and then set it to either "input" or "both." Then do the move. Where the input bar flashes blue is where the FRC point is. If you notice, if you do 236S and miss the opponent, the FRC point won't even show up because there is no HS followup to time FRC point. Edit: the frc point is actually right before the sword starts to extends outward after the first hit.

Uh, using 236S in rush down is bound to get you killed. It's a decent surprise move, but you're fucked if they Slashback or IB the attack. Instead, just poke your way into range.

My best description of the timing for 236S FRC is that it feels very similar to the other sword FRC's in timing, but like Zoogstin said, it's distant dependent. As in, after the hit connects, the timing is similar to 623HS FRC or 63214HS FRC. And Cryingohn, of course it's bound to get you killed, that's why I said not to use it unless it's out of a poke or as part of pressure.

There is no better way than playing around with him for fun with other people until you begin to grasp all that he has to offer. Then take it from there to learn all of his crap. Learning Zappa is the same thing as learning GG in general, you gotta take him all in slowly.

Start by learning what to do without a summon, then how to RC centipedes into Raoh. Let Raoh do the rest. Zappa 101. We do have the Love Threads. Now mostly updated to AC!!! By the way, I just found the most hilarious tensionless Raoh loop. jS cS [6HS x 236S-K] the fact that cS actually gattlings into 6HS I find silly. I'm sure though that this was mentioned elsewhere, but seriously, it's not THAT difficult to set up. Especially off of jS which is a better jumping attack (not as slow and obvious). Take that for what you will. I'm sure you can do it off of 6P as well, making it even better. Go, start owning. Dangief is back in the game now!

I have alot of trouble getting the last 2k in this dog block string (2k-5S-2HS-2k-5D) to connect. Is it worth all this hubbub?

I do 5S-2HS-2k-5D-66- repeat. I don't start off with 2k in that string. When I do start off with 2k (which most of the time I do) I do 2k-5s©-5s(f)-5D-66-repeat.

Ok, I've got almost all the new FRCs down except the new sword rush one. Some times I think I have it down and then after I try it again, I lose it. Does anybody have a tip for this timing? I've tried animations and sound effects and I still don't really know what to do with it. Atleast this one doesn't have two different timings (like the uppercut has). EDIT: I think I figured it out. I believe it's the last possible frame before the sword moves from the horizontal position to travel behind the opponent. Anyone verify?

I assumed the same thing. I have no verification but, yeah I figured its the last frame before the sword moves out as well. Plus the timing is distance dependent so that last frame is never consistent.

I kinda learned that FRC by mistake, I had counter hit on, and it ended up being that I just FRC as the announcer begins the second syllable in "counter". So every time I use it, I say "counter" in my head regardless. Weird I know, but it works for me.

I kinda learned that FRC by mistake, I had counter hit on, and it ended up being that I just FRC as the announcer begins the second syllable in "counter". So every time I use it, I say "counter" in my head regardless. Weird I know, but it works for me.

That's so crazy it just might work.

Sign in to follow this