Sign in to follow this  
Secret Stork

Should I stick with this game?

Start saving replays and watching your matches. Look for things you don't know how to handle, or times you failed to execute something, or times you made a questionable decision. Train to fix those issues that you saw in the replay. Play with your new knowledge, save the replays of the matches after you've trained.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Edited by Dusk Thanatos

This is kind of scaring me away from online, I have to say.

How often do you go into practice mode anymore?

One problem about Blazblue in general that ive realized after playing other games like SF and Tekken is, its community probably has alot to do with why its the way it is. The netplay of this game is pretty terrible.

Coming back, I'm hardpressed to ever find a room because they're either connection locked or (more often than anything) filled with Pslots. The few rooms that are open are like -/6 rooms filled with people.

I dont know why, but popping this game back into my PS3, BB online feels like an incredibly reclusive community. Nobody wants to message you to get permission to join a private slotted room, and BB's netcode is pretty good so connection issues shouldn't be an excuse.

Just trying to play matches with people to get a feel back has been a chore.

You're from Indy, huh? Add me if you ever want to play some matches and maybe some day we can even play offline. What part of Indy do you live in?

One problem about Blazblue in general that ive realized after playing other games like SF and Tekken is, its community probably has alot to do with why its the way it is. The netplay of this game is pretty terrible.

Coming back, I'm hardpressed to ever find a room because they're either connection locked or (more often than anything) filled with Pslots. The few rooms that are open are like -/6 rooms filled with people.

I dont know why, but popping this game back into my PS3, BB online feels like an incredibly reclusive community. Nobody wants to message you to get permission to join a private slotted room, and BB's netcode is pretty good so connection issues shouldn't be an excuse.

This is pretty much the opposite of my experience on the 360, so.... maybe it's just PSN. :P

you could like... Make your own public room that only has a slot or two... without any connection restrictions...? Or hop into the PSN Match finder thread...

Or message people with private rooms yourself...

you could like... Make your own public room that only has a slot or two... without any connection restrictions...? Or hop into the PSN Match finder thread...

Or message people with private rooms yourself...

I shouldn't have to physically ask permission to join a room just to play a few matches. When I said the BB community felt reclusive/introverted, thats exactly what I mean.

I can understand the anal connection restrictions (although personally I dont think the indicator is very good at all). But the Pslots are just annoying. No new Blazblue player is going to waste their time fumbling with the XMB and looking up forums in order to join a room. I don't have to know about Zaibasu or Eventhubs ect. in order to enjoy SF4/TTT2/MvC's online modes.

It's like i have to join a fanclub just to play with 90% of the online players. I wish I could screenshot this player match screen. Im just saying, you know.

Edited by Remius

All of the people in japan show up when you look at the player rooms, so theres always going to be a lot of rooms you won't be able to join.

Finally, the community IS smaller(who knew). That means, amongst other things, that it is not going to be as easy to just hop on randomly and join someone's room to play. You might have to make the room yourself, you might want to put out a word on a community site that you're looking for games. I'm not sure how many new players go straight to player rooms. I think they go straight to ranked. But.. whatever.

Do you (Remius) have any problems with opening your own lobby? You didn't really address that.

As Errol stated you can just create your own lobby. You don't need to continue searching for open lobbies. I was in a similar situation as you when I got back into playing a few weeks ago where there were a good handful of lobbies (on XBL, don't have EX for PS3) with restrictions and the ones I am able join I would get kicked out after playing a match. So now I just open up my own lobby and open up a book until someone joins (doesn't take long for someone to join, longest wait time was maybe 3 minutes). And you don't need to post in the matchmaking threads at all, it just helps you find other people to play with faster.

Do you (Remius) have any problems with opening your own lobby? You didn't really address that.

As Errol stated you can just create your own lobby. You don't need to continue searching for open lobbies. I was in a similar situation as you when I got back into playing a few weeks ago where there were a good handful of lobbies (on XBL, don't have EX for PS3) with restrictions and the ones I am able join I would get kicked out after playing a match. So now I just open up my own lobby and open up a book until someone joins (doesn't take long for someone to join, longest wait time was maybe 3 minutes). And you don't need to post in the matchmaking threads at all, it just helps you find other people to play with faster.

Not that there's anything wrong with opening a book, but why not just put in some training mode time? :)

Not that there's anything wrong with opening a book, but why not just put in some training mode time? :)

Stack of books I was getting through over the summer. I took the choice of spending my few minutes waiting getting through a few pages. I made a habit of getting small tasks done while waiting for someone to join. Which to some (or many) getting a warm up in training might be the better choice.

I know how the OP is feeling. I never quite meshed with BB, and I've owned BBCT and BBCSE for 360. I played GG for years and I got BB because I thought it would be like GG with online play, but it was pretty different. Then I got BBCSE later on because I thought that I didn't give it enough of a chance, but I still couldn't find a character I was comfortable with. Eventually I just dropped fighters all together, since I couldn't find one that I wanted to play online. Then I see Skull Girls on Steam and decide to give that a go. I have instantly bonded with half the characters. Playing SG gives me that same warm feeling I got when I first got into GGXX.

There's something about BB that I can't quite pinpoint that makes me unable to get into and feel comfortable. I like what they did with the game mechanics, but it's just the characters or the art style that prevents me from getting into it like I did with GG.

I know how the OP is feeling. I never quite meshed with BB, and I've owned BBCT and BBCSE for 360. I played GG for years and I got BB because I thought it would be like GG with online play, but it was pretty different. Then I got BBCSE later on because I thought that I didn't give it enough of a chance, but I still couldn't find a character I was comfortable with. Eventually I just dropped fighters all together, since I couldn't find one that I wanted to play online. Then I see Skull Girls on Steam and decide to give that a go. I have instantly bonded with half the characters. Playing SG gives me that same warm feeling I got when I first got into GGXX.

There's something about BB that I can't quite pinpoint that makes me unable to get into and feel comfortable. I like what they did with the game mechanics, but it's just the characters or the art style that prevents me from getting into it like I did with GG.

That's okay, I have the exact same reaction except the other way around; Nothing about GG or Skullgirls resonates with me at all. Particularly Skullgirls.

Don't worry too much about getting better. If you keep playing you'll eventually get better. That's really all there is to it. If you have a friend who knows how the game works, that proves to be a big help.

Guess I'll add something relevent to the last few posts.

As far as the reclusiveness goes, I found that many players ( not just BB players ) prefer to play with people they already know. I'm kind of like that myself largely due to being able to voicechat with friends. Some have a little more fun that way. If the community seems small atm, its only because people are a little bored with BB for the time being. That'll change when CP releases.

Edited by Auburn Notes

I noticed your location says Indiana. Where in Indiana are you located?

Edited by Effenhoog