Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SolxBaiken

Soul Calibur II: HD Online

Welp, guess we're all done playing 5 ; -;

And I guess I'm back to full time Xianghua main [say what you will about 4 and 5, I love Hilde orz

gimme dat back port!

] at least I get the best costumes she's ever had in the series P2 and 3.

Also still waiting on news for Lost Swords...

Oh shit I played this game like fuck when I was a kid, maybe I'll get it.

Back to Nightmare and Lizardman for me. Oh wait, I stuck with them (well, Siegfried, but Nightmare in SC2 since no Siegfried) throughout the series, so it's not quite "back to" anything.

Nice. I feel like the missing modes and the lack of online play were the only things preventing the XBLA port of the original SC from being one of the best releases in the series. If they can avoid making the same mistakes with this (which they are obviously are at least in regards to online play), I think we have a viable candidate for one of the better titles in the series. Because let's not kid ourselves here, these games went downhill in a big way starting with SC3.

I personally would've preferred Soulcalibur III: Arcade Edition to be be given an HD remaster but I guess you don't get everything you want in life. Guess my dream of playing HD Setsuka will have to be put on hold then. :(

Wait, does this mean we get infinite guard impact again? If so, I'm totally gonna play this game, hahaha. I never knew how to combo with Talim, I always just mashed guard impact for the flashy effects when I was a kid.

Because let's not kid ourselves here, these games went downhill in a big way starting with SC3.

I don't think that at all, honestly 4 is the only low point in the series and even it has it's merits.

3 brought with it alot of good ideas, some of which STILL go unused in the original CaS styles and the Arcade Edition was an excellent game! And 3 also featured some of the best single player content, and in a world of trying to get casuals to play, it's sad that they've never received the time or budget to do even 1/2 that work since... 4 features Hilde, a wonderful addition to the cast both in terms of gameplay as a great counter argument to what the series was becoming. Aside from that 4 is pretty crap (but Broken Destiny was some definite improvements, too bad no one played it since it was PSP only ; -; ) then came the light, 5! 5 is the best the series has been since 2 and 3:AE, I'm still iffy about having meter in SC but at least it works better than experiments in 4, 5's only blight was the constant patching which were too soon and were more concerned with nerfing based on user complaint rather than raising everyone up. Also the imagination of new ideas is the best since 3, because Zwei and Viola are pretty rad (too bad one is kinda "bad" and the other is "stupid" lol, but we all gotta start somewhere~)

I personally would've preferred Soulcalibur III: Arcade Edition to be be given an HD remaster but I guess you don't get everything you want in life. Guess my dream of playing HD Setsuka will have to be put on hold then. :(

Yes, YES! 3:AE would've been sick, most Americans never got the chance to play it and it would change so many opinions if they did lol, welp lets get 2:HDO to sell well and convinced them to give us 3AEHDO!

SC2 Ivy + Necrid for me.

Of course, I hope they keep Necrid lol

Unless Necrid is on as restrictive a contract as Spawn, he should come over, but I'm pretty sure McFarland doesn't give a crap, as long as it's in 2 he should be fine. But don't count on the other console exclusive guest (Link, Spawn) ever returning lol (and good, because outside of fan appeal, they were both shit

, especially Link, but no one will admit that...

)

Also F Necrid, he's a silly character too D: easy ringouts ahoy ; -;

Yes, YES! 3:AE would've been sick, most Americans never got the chance to play it and it would change so many opinions if they did lol, welp lets get 2:HDO to sell well and convinced them to give us 3AEHDO!

I don't live anywhere that has an arcade scene at all, but the movie theater I go to used to have an SC3:AE machine in it, and i'd always play it some before and after the movie. I liked the Conquest mode thing, but at the same time, I didn't find it to be something that vastly changed my opinion. I still enjoy console SC3, and loved both the CAS ideas that never came back (I miss those CAS only styles) and the Chronicles of the Sword mode (I think I enjoyed that mode more than the main game).

A local arcade here has it, and yeah it is damn good, shame it never got to home consoles. Ah well.

And this is perfect timing, as well, my old Xbox copy of SC2 finally crapped out for good last week, so it'll be nice to keep it on hand. Easily still my favorite SC game. Astaroth here I come

Also the amount of QQ over Link likely not being back is mind-numbing and it hasn't even been a full 24 hours since this got announced.

I don't think that at all, honestly 4 is the only low point in the series and even it has it's merits.

3 brought with it alot of good ideas, some of which STILL go unused in the original CaS styles and the Arcade Edition was an excellent game! And 3 also featured some of the best single player content, and in a world of trying to get casuals to play, it's sad that they've never received the time or budget to do even 1/2 that work since... 4 features Hilde, a wonderful addition to the cast both in terms of gameplay as a great counter argument to what the series was becoming. Aside from that 4 is pretty crap (but Broken Destiny was some definite improvements, too bad no one played it since it was PSP only ; -; ) then came the light, 5! 5 is the best the series has been since 2 and 3:AE, I'm still iffy about having meter in SC but at least it works better than experiments in 4, 5's only blight was the constant patching which were too soon and were more concerned with nerfing based on user complaint rather than raising everyone up. Also the imagination of new ideas is the best since 3, because Zwei and Viola are pretty rad (too bad one is kinda "bad" and the other is "stupid" lol, but we all gotta start somewhere~)

Unless Necrid is on as restrictive a contract as Spawn, he should come over, but I'm pretty sure McFarland doesn't give a crap, as long as it's in 2 he should be fine. But don't count on the other console exclusive guest (Link, Spawn) ever returning lol (and good, because outside of fan appeal, they were both shit

, especially Link, but no one will admit that...

)

Link was just so...Gimmicky

Edit: Also, WOO I GOT MY RAPHAEL BACK WHO HAS LIKE 5 MILLION WAYS TO GO INTO PREPARATION...fun

I'm sure this will die within a week, but I have to buy it anyway. SC2 was the first fighting game I played with any degree of seriousness, thanks to it coming out during that brief time period when DDR made arcades kind of relevant again. Granted, I mostly just played conquest, and vs with the same one guy over and over, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Cassandra and Talim were the best, and I don't like either of them at all in 3 or 4. (and I just straight up don't like 4)

Soul2 was cool at the time, but let us not kid our selves: the game had one of the greatest levels of hilarity in terms of balance, and this is me speaking through nostalgia goggles. I would have been happier with a graphically overhauled Soul3, but eh, what `cha gonna do... I miss Chronicles of the Sword...

Even if it was lulzy...

Not EVERYBODY, only like a 3rd of the cast.

I would have liked an HD SC4 over any of these. Oh wait SC4 was in HD, let's just go back to that.

SC4 was pretty boring and dull. I'd certainly consider it the low point in the series. I'd give Soul Edge a 7/10, Soul Calibur an 8/10, SC2 9/10, SC3 8.7/10, SC4 4/10, and SC5 7.5/10

It's also the most fair and balanced of the games, beyond Hilde of course.

Further showing that balanced = boring

Also giving 3 a better score than 4 is HILARIOUS. Nobody remember the back grab glitch? Cancel the grab animation for me yet it's affects and animations still hit my opponent? Ivy could literally grab you and run you off the stage. SC3 was a broken sack of turds, and even the AE had half of them left.

SC3 was all levels of ass.

I was really wishing for a remake of SC3AE. Li Long was too dope!!! Although Zas took a nerf bat, I still liked his new style overall...

Plus the game still had that SC2 feel but wasn't broken like vanilla SC3.

It's also the most fair and balanced of the games, beyond Hilde of course.

You forgot Algol, Amy, and Kilik. Algol had derp juggles, as well as infinites before the game got patched. Kilik had Asura Dance. Amy is the epitome of bullshit and, to me, showed how low SC had fallen over the years. Her hitbox was too goddamn small, her attacks had stupid priority and came out faster than anyone else's, and her moveset was fucking ridiculous and looked like anime fencing.

SC3 is better than SC4 in every possible conceivable way to me, backgrab glitch or no. That's my opinion of course, but it is how I think. Everything from the visuals to the gameplay just made SC4 a chore.