Sign in to follow this  
Digital Watches

AC+R: Q&A

+R Dropped. HOW DAFUQ I PLAY AXL?

This thread is for Questions and Answers. Ask a question or answer a question. I'll try to keep an FAQ updated in this post, which may contain questions which were only asked once (i.e. FREQUENTLY ENOUGH).

Hello, is there a way to combo a Rashousen from a Raiei Sageki?

In the corner I'm connecting a Rensen (FRC), S-Raiei sageki and while in the air I start charging 4. When I land I try to execute the Rashousen but all I get is a 6H. Seems like there's some kind of "artifical" restriction to perform this since the charge time is enough to perform the Rashousen.

Thanks in advance.

You're not allowed to start performing the unblockable when your opponent is on the ground in knockdown. And, new to +R, you also cannot do it when your opponent is ground sliding.

But for a pseudo-combo, you can do a mid-screen 63214 S to send them sliding across the entire screen, and then hit them with a Rensengeki at about max range. Quickly start charging again during the Rensen, and then do Rashousen while they're still in the air, just before they fall onto the ground. The timing window is a bit tight (as late as possible, but before they hit the ground), but if you do it right they'll wake up with the unblockable right on top of them. I haven't checked this with all characters, so it might not work on some of them due to sliding hitboxes, and I'm pretty sure slow-risers like Chipp and A.B.A are completely immune.

Hi, I'm fairly new to Axl and I was wondering about comboing after a throw.

I was playing against a Slayer and I couldn't convert on any throws except for in the corner. I'm trying dashing 5K into (5P -> the rest) but dashing k is not really consistent when I practice it on Slayer, A.B.A, and Kliff.

Don't bother with dashing 5K on almost any character. Just throw a delayed 5P or 6K from exactly where you're standing. I think the only character you need to dash K for is Johnny (And maybe one or two more). Almost every other character can be hit by standing 5P or standing 6K, and for most characters, both will work.

However, until you get a really good handle on positioning, I would suggest that your throw combo in midscreen be throw, Rensen. This is guaranteed knockdown on the cast. You lose a very small amount of damage this way, but it lets you stop thinking about your throw combo and start thinking about okizeme. If you start playing this way, I can almost guarantee you'll get better faster than if you take the time to learn all your character-specific throw combos first.

Cool, thanks!

I guess this is a good segue to talk about okizeme then. I usually go for 3P or meaty 6H. From my understanding Axl has more of a "frame trap" (for lack of a better phrase) based oki right? Delaying certain moves to combo into rensen, frc on block for more pressure and so on. I know there is more to Axl's oki game but I don't really know how to go about learning it, I just watch a lot of match vids. 

Your oki tools are going to be somewhat situational and matchup-specific, but you've got a lot of options to work with.

The safest by far is meaty safe jump. Go for either j.P, j.H, or j.S. These hit overhead, net you damage and another knockdown with the right spacing, and are pretty reversal-safe, since they're safe-jumps. j.P is a decent tick throw, j.H leads to a lot more damage. I've seen some japanese players fall with j.P-K before too, but that has to be done from higher up. On some characters you can do Sol-like fuzzy guard setups with j.K, but the timing and spacing are extremely tight. j.S is mainly for when you're too far away to get anything else, but it can still be a strong safejump.

Your best low options are 2K, 2H, and 3P, for completely different reasons. 2K is your fastest low, so if you're trying to do something like j.P into low-throw mixup, that's the low you want. But it's also low-risk and a decent tick throw setup, so not a bad option overall. In certain matchups it's extremely safe, because it'll go under certain reversals (Like Vapor Thrust and whatever Jam's DP is called). 2H and 3P are good options when you want to stay out of throw range, and 2H especially can be spaced to dodge or clash with VV, robo-DP, and others. 2H is riskier, and throwing from it is way more of a gimmick than 3P or 2K. You *shouldn't* use 2P as a meaty. It's very vulnerable to reversals, it's not as fast as 2K, and it's less safe than 3P. There's stuff you can get off of it, but the risk-reward is a lot better from blockstun than from wakeup, so use it then instead.

6H is a decent overhead if you don't have time to jump, but it loses to anything invincible and is fairly telegraphed, so it's not a good option against anyone with a reversal. 

The rest of your options are very situational/gimmicky. You've got 2H FRC (Which you use to hard-bait reversals), 63214S, which can be decently ambiguous as a crossup. You can FRC it to throw or go for a different overhead. Then there's crossup kokuugeki, which is interesting for a lot of reasons: it's got an FRC to make it safe, it's a projectile, so they can't hit it with a reversal (They can still hit YOU, so if you don't know your spacing still be careful), but most interestingly, it stops your momentum, so it can be very ambiguous whether it'll cross up or not, especially in situations like knockdown from an airthrow, where they'll wake up backwards.

Even more situational/gimmicky are benten (Calls out throws) and counter (Calls out reversals). 

Hopefully that's a decent enough baseline for what you should use and when. Okizeme is a very complicated thing in GG, so experience will probably help more than anything.

So here's a mystery for all the Axls out there.   How the hell did this work:

http://www.twitch.tv/twingalaxieslive/v/28504314?t=7h5m30s

Like everyone else, I never do his IK (Someone said "Hey, hurry up and get off, the next match is ready").  But regardless, I'm pretty sure it's way slower than that.  In fact my entire idea for landing it was to stand outside DP range, and have him whiff and fall down onto the chains.  And in retrospect, I'm pretty sure I'm not even out of range, because Axl is standing tall and proud.  And why didn't HOS even leave the ground?  What magical new IK tech is this...

Sign in to follow this