Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

danceljoy

Guilty Gear Xrd Story Thread

I just finished Arcade & Story.  My bro & I really enjoyed it.  So much great art/design/animation.  And the story was entertaining for me.  I'm pretty curious about Faust now thanks to the extra bit at the end.

The Arcade quotes of his opponent seem to indicate that Potemkin is a robot....is this an in-joke or for real?

Sin's win quote in particular seems quite sincere, where he shouts at him to come down and fight him for real.

I also read this about the meaning of Potemkin (wiki):

"The phrase "Potemkin village" (also "Potyomkin village", derived from the RussianПотёмкинские деревниPotyomkinskiye derevni) was originally used to describe a fake village, built only to impress".

Maybe I'm the only who found this interesting, and I apologise if speculation is not welcome here.

The Arcade quotes of his opponent seem to indicate that Potemkin is a robot....is this an in-joke or for real?

Sin's win quote in particular seems quite sincere, where he shouts at him to come down and fight him for real.

"The phrase "Potemkin village" (also "Potyomkin village", derived from the Russian: Потёмкинские деревни, Potyomkinskiye derevni) was originally used to describe a fake village, built only to impress".

Maybe I'm the only who found this interesting, and I apologise if speculation is not welcome here.

Just a joke. Pot looks like a fucking mecha, so people treat him that way.

"The phrase "Potemkin village" (also "Potyomkin village", derived from the RussianПотёмкинские деревниPotyomkinskiye derevni) was originally used to describe a fake village, built only to impress".

Pretty sure Pot got his name from Battleship Potemkin, since that movie deals with a revolution, and Pot took part in one.

Potemkin's not a mecha, it's just a joke that he looks like one now.  According to the GG Codex, Daisuke Ishiwatari said that the suit he's wearing is a restraint device to control his strength since the collar he wore can't cut it anymore.   Like Sol, he's never really fought anyone with his full strength yet, except maybe Gabriel.

So now that Sol's past has been revealed in Xrd story mode I think it would make sense to cover the later part where he starts the bounty hunter business, and thus it would make sense to add Order Sol again in some flashback and a proper excuse to make him playable.

Baiken is another probability because of the Japan colony subplot, that might become the main plot on the next game.

So now that Sol's past has been revealed in Xrd story mode I think it would make sense to cover the later part where he starts the bounty hunter business, and thus it would make sense to add Order Sol again in some flashback and a proper excuse to make him playable.

Baiken is another probability because of the Japan colony subplot, that might become the main plot on the next game.

I think that Baiken's probably 3rd in line to be returning DLC, after Dizzy and Johnny. After all, she's been around since the first game.

And then probably Anji, because if they're doing something relevant to Baiken story-wise, Anji's probably involved. Or they'll just give Anji the same treatment they gave Johnny, and have him all over the story without making him playable.

We've gotten flashbacks to the past for both Sol and That Man.

I'd hope we get to see Aria's view of the past. She probably has a very unique perspective on what has happened.

Potemkin's not a mecha, it's just a joke that he looks like one now. According to the GG Codex, Daisuke Ishiwatari said that the suit he's wearing is a restraint device to control his strength since the collar he wore can't cut it anymore. Like Sol, he's never really fought anyone with his full strength yet, except maybe Gabriel.

Well his old instant kill makes a lot more sense now. The suit looks a lot more difficult to remove if he needs to though... Actually, why does someone who isn't a gear need a power limiting device? Slayer and Gabriel don't use one (I think?) they just dick around instead of fighting at full strength lol.

Because they're old enough to learn some restraint? Also, Pot was born with a mutation which might be the reason.

Yeah, Potemkin's mutation causes his strength to continually increase to the point where he has to wear the restraints, otherwise he could accidentally break something or hurt someone.  Think of Superman's "World of Cardboard" speech and it applies pretty well to Potemkin.

Even with it, he needs super-pencils capable of withstanding 4 tons of force.

...I wonder how many tax dollars went in to funding that...

Are you implying that Pot is not worthy of every last cent of your tax money?

Look at this guy not supporting the protector of all skies everywhere

RCbu5TY.png EDIT: image won't work, so here's the direct link http://pasteboard.co/RCbu5TY.png

Potemkin's barcode number is "092619179", according to the above picture.

Any ideas what this date (Sept 26th 1979) could signify? Searched for things related to rock'n'roll birthdays, albums, deaths....but could only come with the birth of a Japanese wrestler named Naomichi Marufuji http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naomichi_Marufuji

SPOLER ALERT

I was wondering if Ky is half gear (apparently) isn't he going to be affected by other commander gears such as Justice. Or is he going to be ok since he has Dizzy by his side. He seemed to be ok when Justice controlled the other soldiers but I was curious about this since Testament couldn’t do anything against Justice’s will.