Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

danceljoy

Guilty Gear Xrd Story Thread

Every time that someone complains about the story on GG i have to ask why they feel is complicated?

Shit is so straight forward and simple to understand, seriously.

That's why "simple yet impenetrable" is what I tend to use as a descriptor. The story doesn't do anything particularly high-concept or complicated, but it's a disjointed mess. It's not difficult for me to follow, as someone who's deep into the series and obsessively claws through every character's story branches. But it's easy to recognize how people who aren't completely crazy like me would get lost in all the vagueries and random nonsense. Like, I can't imagine anything in Accent Core making any sense to someone who hasn't played the series before.

Not that I want it to get hand-holdy or anything. But I'd be way into seeing a concise, BlazBlue-like telling of a story in the GG universe.

The story in GG is both simple and damn impenetrable, even for the folks paying attention. I hope they take this opportunity to restructure it into a more linear, approachable plot. Though, I'll take what I can get.

As for characters, I can really only imagine Order-Sol, Justice, Kliff, and maaaaaybe Robo-Ky and A.B.A. getting cut, just because of their relatively short lives in the series. Everyone else seems so core at this point that it would seem wrong for them to be missing. And I guess Ishiwatari agrees. Limited resources are definitely a thing, though.

Zappa is core to the story?

Every time that someone complains about the story on GG i have to ask why they feel is complicated?

Shit is so straight forward and simple to understand, seriously. If you think this is complicated i don't want to know what would you think of The Legacy of Kain Series :v:

Since when does hecatom give a fuck about storymode???

On another note the characters I want to see the most are Dizzy and Sin in that order. I want to see how Daisuke will/would convert his gameplay in GG2 to Xrd, and I just wanna see queen Dizzy.

Also I'm curious as to why they decked out Chipp with so many new specials and etc in Xrd, from the perspective from long time Chipp players, did he need all of that?

Shit is so straight forward and simple to understand, seriously. If you think this is complicated i don't want to know what would you think of The Legacy of Kain Series :v:

This. Really. I honestly find Blazblue harder to follow than GG, perhaps because I've spent more time with GG, but there's not much difficulty to the story if you pay attention:

That Man betrayed Sol to prove his kooky (vague but more or less explained, it's about God n evolution n stuff) theories, and Sol wants to kill him for it and get revenge/stop him from proving his hypothesis.

That it, that's the main story.

And I honestly dislike the story presentation of Blazblue and hope GG doesn't adopt it. I personally really have no interest in that visual novel style presentation. I think what GG really needs is simply for some terms to be explained so we understand them when used in context- stuff like blacktech, the OUTRAGE, 'steps' and 'chords' introduced in Overture etc more simply explained. Could use a kind of glossary of terms, stick it in one of the artbooks or something. A lot more of what IS confusing would make sense if we just knew what the things that get introduced without explanation meant.

And I honestly dislike the story presentation of Blazblue and hope GG doesn't adopt it. I personally really have no interest in that visual novel style presentation.

But . . . GG's story format was already in "visual novel" presentation :v: ["Adventure" to be more precise].

I just don't want GG to end up really bland, typical Japanese shlock like BB when it tries to be "funny" [which ironically are the only times I can even think of BB's story elements in a more positive light]. But I do agree, GG is just unclear while BB is so convoluted and pretentious it doesn't realize how far up its own rear it has gone. But I mainly blame this on Mori, he's a terrible writer lol, or rather, just really uninspired.

I guess on terms of the back and forth dialogue bits? The visual novel stuff I mean is like, the cutscenes that are like 5 minutes long at certain points of the story? Overture had. Lot of talking of course but I can kinda forgive it for the genre it was.

Yeah, kinda. I just think there must be better ways to implement story into a fighting game, and I trust Arc to be able to find that balance. I don't think they have it yet.

Developers have being attempting the balance between story and play for years with all sorts of mixed results [most of them bad...] and in a fighter your options are super limited.

Pretty much all they could do is like deliver exposition while the fight ensues [sort of like how we have all sorts of special dialogue for various situations and matchups] or have you "play" cut scenes [i hope you like QTEs~ TRICK QUESTION, no one likes QTEs ; -; ].

So yeah, if you want a cinematic or even story centric game, you have to take away the very element unique to the medium, interaction.

Well most of GG's story is in the supplemental material so its there if anyone wants to read it, while the main video game series focus on the gameplay. The story is there for people crazy about that stuff, while the focus remains on the gameplay.

This. Really. I honestly find Blazblue harder to follow than GG, perhaps because I've spent more time with GG, but there's not much difficulty to the story if you pay attention:

That Man betrayed Sol to prove his kooky (vague but more or less explained, it's about God n evolution n stuff) theories, and Sol wants to kill him for it and get revenge/stop him from proving his hypothesis.

That it, that's the main story.

You can summarize anything like that. BlazBlue:

The military is bad. Ragna's trying to wreck their shit.

But of course, in both cases we've got more going on, and a whole slew of other characters doing weird things.

I've always considered the inscrutable aspects of BB's story to be entirely similar to GG's. Hell, I've thought Guilty Gear was up its own ass before BlazBlue even knew where to look. Both of them tend to raise more questions than answers at every beat, and prefer to tease/imply things rather than giving you answers. The most major difference in execution that I can think of is that BlazBlue exposes you to it all at once, while it's more piecemeal in Guilty Gear. Not really sure what's worse, actually, haha.

Not exactly knocking either one, here, 'cause obviously I'm a fan of both. All I know is... I want me some Guilty Gear story, and more of it, told in as coherent of a fashion as possible. BB-style is kinda the natural progression of what they've already been doing, but I'm up for any approach they'll take.

So the actual problem you have with BB's story mode is that there is too much talking and not enough fighting?

Why even play story mode though if you are not into the story.

Why even play story mode though if you are not into the story.

Sometimes its the only way to unlock a character; Mu in CS, and Kagura in CP.

BB story is supposed to be visual novel and stuff, if that's not your thing then you shouldn't really play it or maybe just do arcade mode. GG is like that too, just slightly less wordy but at the price of a TON of content being in Drama CDs and stuff which exist outside of the actual game. If it's either that or a more lengthy storymode in-game, I'm sure nobody would prefer the former.

Personally speaking, the enjoyment I derive from the story segment of BB is an entirely different type of enjoyment compared to the one I derive from playing the competitive modes. It's not something you'd wanna play if you're looking for some fights, it's more there for when you wanna experience interesting characters whom you like and a cool weird plot and a ton of anime style thematic elements. Basically, this is two games in one. To begrudge it for offering more than a single type of fun just because you personally don't like it is dumb.

If you DO like GG story, why would more of it be a bad thing? As long as it'ds well done and stuff and is fun like BBs is I see only a win win situation for people who like the characters.

Sometimes its the only way to unlock a character; Mu in CS, and Kagura in CP.

I guess this is why they allowed you to buy them then.

I hope this story discussion is okay...this IS the gameplay thread so I think this isn't the best thread for it.

Anyway:

Both of them tend to raise more questions than answers at every beat, and prefer to tease/imply things rather than giving you answers. The most major difference in execution that I can think of is that BlazBlue exposes you to it all at once, while it's more piecemeal in Guilty Gear. Not really sure what's worse, actually, haha.

I think is because of what genre GG and BB are in. Fighting games are very sequel-driven, you want to always make a new game in the series, adding characters, mechanics, stages, and rebalancing existing characters, and stuff like that. As such, you can't really "end" the story unless you feel like starting a whole new plot arc up (which could work awesomely but would require Mori to actually have writing talent :v:). Ergo, the two series endlessly extend and tease stuff without ever really following up on it (or throwing some completely out-of-nowhere curveball).

Also, given that FGs tend to just introduce new characters out of the blue, it's very easy to simply make a new character who comes from fucking nowhere and basically exists solely to fuck up the plot (Why, hello there, Azreal!)

But, despite the flaws...I like how BB and GG both try to tell an interesting story. Yes, they're confusing, convoluted, hilariously tortured, and frequently non-sensical, but it's part of the charm. Getting to know the characters you violently assault and violently assualt other characters with is fun, unlike most other FGs where people are just there...to be there.

But, despite the flaws...I like how BB and GG both try to tell an interesting story. Yes, they're confusing, convoluted, hilariously tortured, and frequently non-sensical, but it's part of the charm. Getting to know the characters you violently assault and violently assualt other characters with is fun, unlike most other FGs where people are just there...to be there.

You're speakin' my language, right there. I agree with your post wholeheartedly. Despite (or perhaps even because of) all this measured madness, I feel GG/BB have the most developed characters in the genre. While it may not have anything to do with the gameplay per se, fighting against a fleshed-out backdrop with all these interweaving character ties is something that enhances my enjoyment of the whole thing immensely.

That's probably enough gushing, but hey. Can't help myself. I still can't get over that Guilty Gear's a relevant thing to talk about again, heh.

Bumping the thread to summarize the new Guilty Gear short story in the Arc System Works 25th Anniversary Official Character Collection, titled The Unseen Sign.

The story starts out some time after the events of Guilty Gear 2, which have come to be known as Baptism Thirteen. Ky is delivering a speech to an assembly in Illyria, during which he says he believes it's time to redefine the relationship between man and Gear and officially proposes that they explore a pathway to peaceful coexistence.

It then cuts to the vaults beneath the Castle of Illyria, where Ky is talking to Dr. Paradigm. Ky wants Paradigm to be the representative for the Gears, though Paradigm is still unsure if humanity will ever be able to forgive the Gears, which were designed to destroy mankind, and notes that some are already calling for Ky to abdicate the throne. Ky says that he himself witnessed the Crusades, but now that the curse of Justice's control has been broken the Gears are free to pursue a life of peace. He says the Crusades are over and it's time for humanity to enter another Renaissance, explaining the capacity humans have for compassion, love, and forgiveness. He mentions the "Merciless Apocalypse," saying there are lurking threats and it's time for man and Gear to join hands and fight for the future. Paradigm is moved.

Ky then raises his eyes to look upon a winged, female figure sealed in crystal. Paradigm informs Ky that he can't break the seal on his wife yet, and that decoding the incantation will take a while longer.

Ky says, "Truly? Be patient for just a little longer, Dizzy...!" He gazes at her, and she seems to smile faintly.

Elsewhere, Sol and Sin have set up camp for the night, and are sitting around a fire. Sol's eating some meat and reading a newspaper headline about a vicious group of Gears attacking Illyria. He says there's something suspicious going on. Sin asks what happened, and Sol tells him to try and read it as reading lesson. Sin enthusiastically opens the newpaper up completely and starts to read it.

In short, it's misrepresenting Valentine's attack on Illyria as being the work of Gears, despite Paradigm and his pals risking their lives to protect the kingdom. He throws the paper into the fire. Sol explains that it's in response to Ky's proposal, and that even though there's still a lot of anti-Gear sentiment on the streets, he's popular and people trust him. He thinks that this is likely the Senate's way of trying to shift public opinion. Sin basically asks Sol the same thing Paradigm asked Ky... if it's possible for humans and Gears to coexist. Sol's response is to explain that Ky fought on the front lines during the Crusades, witnessed the fear and horror, and yet he's gotten past it, and that he and Sin's mother found happiness together.

Laying down with a groan, looking up at the sky, and closing his eyes, Sol says, "... At least, I hope it is."

Sin is surprised by the sentimentality and Sol angrily covers it up. Sol silently wonders what the Senate could be planning, and closes his eyes, but after a moment he suddenly opens them, feeling a strange, uncomfortable sensation. It's a sensation he felt several times before. He shakes his head.

Sol mutters through gritted teeth, "...I thought I'd have more time... I wasn't expecting you to show up so soon... Valentine!" He then grasps his incomplete weapon, Junkard Dog, and stands up.

To be continued in Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign.

TLDR: Ky is trying to promote human/Gear coexistence, the Senate is trying to undermine him, the Maiden of the Grove is confirmed to be Dizzy but isn't ready to be unsealed, another Valentine has emerged, and Sol hasn't finished constructing his new weapon yet. Also, Sin is finally learning how to read.

So Sol's new weapon in Xrd is called "Junkyard Dog" eh?

So..Xrd is dealing with this new mysterious attack based on the conversation Sol & Ky have in the debut trailer right?

the Maiden of the Grove is confirmed to be Dizzy

woo. took 'em long enough to get that out of the way.

i wonder if its normal valentine or robo-valentine coming back.

robo-val would make a good stand-in for justice's play style.

Some other details:

There's a list with the title, release date, and platform of every Guilty Gear game. Guilty Gear Xrd has two entries, one listed as Arcade (Spring 2014) and the other as PlayStation 3 / PlayStation 4 (2014).

There's a brief overview of the Guilty Gear storyline so far:

The Second Sacred Order Selection Tournament (GG)

Bounty at the Devil's Abode (GGX~GGAC+R)

The Gear Disappearance Incident (GG2)

It doesn't really delve into the plot, however. There's also a small glossary with known terms which does not appear to have any new information.

Each playable character has one or two pages, with a small gallery of character art with voice actor data, their profile, a couple paragraphs of information which at a glance doesn't appear to have anything new, and a gallery showing either screenshots or endings from the various GG games, as well as a little bit of trivia about the character. There's one page covering the various sub-characters like That Man, Fanny, and Leopaldon.

Guilty Gear Vastedge is not included.

There are two pages devoted to Guilty Gear Xrd. The first page explains the new gameplay mechanics, the second page has character art and screenshots for each of the characters announced so far, along with a two sentence profile with the first sentence describing them and the second their playstyle.

Sol: "An unrefined and taciturn bounty hunter."

Ky: "The Kingdom of Illyria's first king."

Millia: "A former assassin who left the Guild."

May: "A young lady and member of the Jellyfish Pirates."

Chipp: "A young ninja with dreams of becoming the president."

Axl: "A timeslipper who has visited many eras."

Potemkin: "A proud and noble soldier of Zepp."

Venom: "Leader of the Assassins' Guild."

I-No: "A sadistic bad girl."

And that's about it for Guilty Gear stuff.

Chipp: "A young ninja with dreams of becoming the president."

God damn it, I crack up every time.

I WILL BE THE HOKAGE OF AMERICA!

I thought he wanted to become the president of Japan, which doesn't exist, then decided to become the president of Zepp. Or something.

But yeah, the power of breaking down difficult sounding goals into baby steps:

1. Quit drugs cold turkey.

2. Become a ninja.

Next: Become president.

He makes life seem so easy. Maybe after Ky frees Dizzy, he'll retire and let Chipp take the throne.