Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

danceljoy

Guilty Gear Xrd Story Thread

The translation isn't that great to be honest. Sometimes it feels like they picked a random Japanese speaking student from the street to do it.

13 hours ago, Epic said:

The translation isn't that great to be honest. Sometimes it feels like they picked a random Japanese speaking student from the street to do it.

Agreed. It reads like a first pass that needs to go through some editing and proper localization. Just looking at the victory quotes, a lot of it is pretty iffy, and some phrases weren't really translated properly.

One I just saw that bugged me a bit, Raven vs Johnny win quote, "Your swordsmanship is too precise...I can barely feel any pain. Next time,bring a battered sword." Note the messed up punctuation -- or maybe that's just the font? Either way.

After localization, I'd expect it to be something more like, "With swordplay that sharp I can't even feel the cuts. Try a rusty blade next time."

I can't help but feel like this is another problem that crops up when you don't dub a game. When the dialogue is being voiced it needs to sound natural which means it goes through some extra quality checking. When there's no dub it becomes much easier to overlook issues with the phrasing or choice of words.

I wonder how you grind for World Dollars in Revelator.

Anyway, the whole story (yes, all of it) is very interesting. I feel bad for Bedman (wonder if he has a real name). Sol's/Dizzy's relation was epic and solves the father issue. Story Mode didn't show much of Dizzy, except for that scene. Nice to see Baiken in CGI.

There is still no new info about Dizzy DLC. Dizzy must be really hard to make as a playable character in Xrd.

2 hours ago, churchblue said:

There is still no new info about Dizzy DLC. Dizzy must be really hard to make as a playable character in Xrd.

Making a quality character takes time and effort.

Anyway, still going through the Episode Modes at the moment, but managed to see the Prologue for the Story Mode. It's nice seeing that Zappa finally managed to find some success due to his affinity for the supernatural. Would be interesting to see how he fights now that he's more "attuned" with the ghosts inhabiting him.

Sin's surprise attack on Ariels was pretty awesome. Ky using his Gear eye power was used again, but still no clear explanation how he got it.

Chipp finally didn't get trashed in this story mode. It is surprising that figured out Ariels was the real enemy on his own.

2 hours ago, heavymetalmixer said:

But we already have Raven for Jojo poses D:

MADU MADU MADU MADU MADU MADU MADU MADU MADU MADU MADU MADU MADU MADU MADU MADU MADU MADU MADU MADU MADU MADU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Couldn't resist XD]

1 hour ago, churchblue said:

Chipp finally didn't get trashed in this story mode. It is surprising that figured out Ariels was the real enemy on his own.

Some characters get that genius deducing moment in critical times lol

Can anyone translate for me what Jack-O's adult system voice says when you select Sol? Much appreciated.

she says "Nanka natsukashii" 

8 minutes ago, kylehyde said:

Can anyone translate for me what Jack-O's adult system voice says when you select Sol? Much appreciated.

I believe it's "somewhat... nostalgic". In other words, Jack-O feels nostalgia by seeing Sol but unsure why she does it.

Just now, Zedar90 said:

I believe it's "somewhat... nostalgic". In other words, Jack-O feels nostalgia by seeing Sol but unsure why she does it.

I was trying to google the phrase and was reading that Nanka is used in a sort of derogatory way. So I figured she was saying something like, Disgustingly Nostalgic, but that was just my guess and wanted a second opinion lol. 

10 minutes ago, kylehyde said:

I was trying to google the phrase and was reading that Nanka is used in a sort of derogatory way. So I figured she was saying something like, Disgustingly Nostalgic, but that was just my guess and wanted a second opinion lol. 

Maybe this could help you understand it(if you can read a little japanese text). When it's used in a derogatory way, it's toward the word before nanka in that case.

Just finished watching the full story mode.

Baiken's new design, while not too different from before, makes me wonder if she's not gotten closer affiliated with Johnny and the Jellyfish pirates. She pretty much only added the eye-patch goggle and a cloth shoulder cover to her usual outfit, but the shoulder cover has a pretty pirate-esque skull on it, and the eye-patch goggle looks like something adapted from aviation.

It's nothing conclusive, but it got me to thinking, aside from Anji, the pirates and Johnny are pretty much the one group she's had the most affiliation with over the course of Guilty Gear's whole story. Like all female characters, Johnny's hit on her, sure, but she's also willingly hung out with him and accompanied/protected/mentored(?) May, depending on what endings you got in the earlier games. Although in different endings of Accent Core, she was approached by the Assassin's Guild and Chipp in order to become a part of their respective organizations, that doesn't look like it's the canon to Revelator, so... yeah? Don't think it'll play much of a role in the story even if I guessed right, but it was fun theorizing.

Predictions based on story mode gameplay of characters:

Zappy is going to be similar to a RE character with ghost assists and looks less creepy. Or probably similar to a certain exorcist type character (see Mob from Mob 100 or the Exorcist.) His IK will probably still be the ghost but instead of the Ring maybe the Grudge. Not sure if random or not.

Baiken will be more like a BB character in terms of moves and might be mid tier to top.

Dizzy is either going to be top or low tier depending on what they do with her moves (or make her like Justice) and 'if Gamma Ray.'

I'm very tired. I had a dream about Sol as a genie so I was trying to summon him. I had to go to the yakuza/mob house for that. People eating weird fruit and going through a sickness like the one from Jamaica and me trying to get away/dealing with that. I enjoy GG but the urge to be lazy and not play it is really high.

Spoiler

I nearly cried to Axl's confession, it was sort of heartbreaking, but destiny sometimes isn't that great.

Almost to the end of Story Mode.

Sweet merciful Christ, Ariels' real personality.

And I thought Terumi was crazy and Izanami was creepy. Ariels is like both of them at once, but 1000x worse. A fucking nightmare incarnate. The way she talks like a demented schoolgirl who's WAY too old to be  a schoolgirl, that goddamn music box theme that plays whenever she goes nuts, her completely unnatural facial expressions...Ugh.

2 minutes ago, Vulcan422 said:

Almost to the end of Story Mode.

Hide contents

Sweet merciful Christ, Ariels' real personality.

And I thought Terumi was crazy and Izanami was creepy. Ariels is like both of them at once, but 1000x worse. A fucking nightmare incarnate.

Spoiler

Backyard is a hell of drug.

I'm guessing moving forward with the story will be PWAB, since Revelator did like everything in one game (story-wise)?

And also saying that based off the ending.

I'm guessing I-No will be the main antagonist of GG once again based on that same ending, Inoue also seems to hint this according to what she says in the Gallery.

I am predicting that she is gonna betray That Man once and for all.

57 minutes ago, JustaMaskedFreak said:

Am I the only one that thinks Bedman's sister is going to take over his place on the next part of the Story?

The real question is what kind of machine would she use.